Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.9

Not tested on animals

on 12/17/2012 10:00:00 PM

Absolutely rubbish. Having used this before, I can seriously see the difference with the new ingredient changes! (No doubt because of the recent Avon takeover). Before, this had a lovely menthal smell and it was a rich creamy texture which felt luxurious and good for your skin... I never had any problems with breakouts! Now, it has a awful smell and there is no longer any almond milk.. but instead cocoa butter- which is known to clog pores?!

My experience with this has been horrendous. Breakout after breakout after breakout. Thank god I went to my dermatologist and asked about this stuff or perhaps I would still be persevering with it!

Overall this is bad for skin, and despite the claims made by Liz Earle.. this cleanser IS NOT for everyone. It is stupid to claim that ONE cleanser will be suitable for all different skin types.

on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

I've been using Cleanse & Polish for 12 years and until recently I would have given it a 5 rating as it was an excellent product. Unfortunately, due to the complaints of a number of customers with nut allergies, they have changed the formulation and removed the almond milk which was one of the main ingredients. This has completely changed the texture so it is now heavier and not as smooth and soothing on the skin. I have also started to get the odd red spot which I would guess is caused by the amount of cocoa butter now used to repalce the almond milk.
I think this is a very bad decision and there seems to be a growing number of people who feel the same. I really can't see why they couldn't have made an almond milk-free version for the minority with an allergy and left the original product alone.

on 4/24/2007 4:22:00 AM

Lovely smelling product, gets rid of make-up....but definitely clogs pores. I think the cocoa butter in it is a BIG mistake for a cleanser. Shame.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Natural? Not even. Great as a makeup remover? Nah just so-so. Good for all skintypes? Not on your life. I fell for the hype and came out the loser. This very ordinary cleanser made my dry skin look like a piece of toast--my skin was so crispy!! And the muslin cloths are a nice touch but I prefer my cheapo white washcloths--use and toss in the wash w/o a second thought, and if one is ruined no big deal. I used a very gentle toner on my face after washing to test if my makeup was gone and nope still on in places and C & P barely budged my eye makeup. In addition this cleanser contains eucalyptus oil and a lot of it--smells like my Soul Owner foot cream and imagine using that on your face--what was I thinking? And all in an effort to find something to loosen my makeup. For the wonderful "naturally active" ingredients take a gander:

Water, capric/caprylic triglyceride, cocoa seed butter, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl esthers, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, glycerin, beeswax, propylene glycol, hops extract, panthenol, rosemary extract, chamomile extract, sweet almond extract, eucalyptus extract, limonene, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, benzoic acid, ethylhexylglycerin, dehydroacetic acid, polyaminopropyl biguanide.

on 2/2/2008 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was admittedly dubious about using Cleanse & Polish on my oily, pre-menstrually spotty skin after years of using foaming cleansers in repeatedly unsuccessful attempts to rid my skin of sebum and spots. After visiting Liz Earle's lovely, airy London shop, I brought home -- amongst (many) other things -- a 100mL airless pump bottle of her arguably most famous product, Cleanse & Polish. It came in a starter pack which included two pure muslin cloths to be used in conjunction with the cleanser. I've been doing a lot of reading which suggested that instead of battling sebum and spots with synthetic drying agents, sufferers of oily and acne prone skin ought to take a gentler, more natural approach to skincare. Liz Earle's products have helped significantly in this process, with excellent results.

Cleanse & Polish comes in several sizes (travel, 200mL squeeze tube, 100mL airless pump). I chose the airless pump dispenser as it was the most sanitary. One pump dispenses the right amount for my face, and the entire bottle is said to contain enough product for 66 applications. The cleanser is a white, luciously creamy concoction which I dot on my cheeks, forehead, nose and chin before taking two minutes to massage it into my face. The scent is heavenly, but with ingredients like cocoa butter, hops, rosemary, chamomile, sweet almond, and eucalyptus I would not expect anything less. I rub the cleanser into my skin until most of it is absorbed; it even removes mascara and eye makeup, and does not sting (although I leave the eye area till the very end so as to avoid smudging around mascara all over my face).

The second part of the cleansing process involves soaking the muslin cloth in a basin of warm-to-hot water and then polishing the excess cream off of the face using a gentle circular massaging motion. I have to say that this two step process takes about double the time that it would take to wash my face with a foaming cleanser in the shower, but I don't mind as it feels like a mini facial or pampering treat every time I cleanse. I follow this up with a splash of cool water, Liz Earle's Instant Boost Skin Tonic, and then Liz Earle's Skin Repair Light.

I've waited for over a month before writing this review and am thrilled with the results. It takes time, but my skin has responded very well to the cleanser (as well as Liz Earle's other products). My skin is left visibly glowing, healthy and smooth, and it has seriously calmed down my spots and post-acne marks. I never thought that I would be able to use cream based cleansers but I am now a believer in treating my skin more gently and giving it a bit of moisture instead of drying it out with anti-acne cleansers and forcing my skin to over-compensate in sebum production due to harsh ingredients. I live in Bermuda and if I can't get to London in time, I order directly from the website (www.lizearle.com) -- it is an amazingly simple site to use, the customer service is brilliant, and products arrive in impeccable condition (along with a free sample each time). If I could give this product a rating of six, I would.

on 4/16/2007 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Full of cocoa butter which I reckon clogged my pores up a treat. Not impressed at all. But they do have wonderful customer service.
Edit: If you want better than this get yourselves down to TESCO!! Their BNatural cleanser works in the same way but is much much better and much cheaper. Magic!

on 11/1/2012 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I don't usually write reviews but I just have to with this. I bought this cleanser after using Ponds Cold Cream (amazing) for a while. I will start off with saying that my skin is dry but was in good condition before trying this and always has been. I'd get maybe one or two hormonal spots a month and that would be that. I bought this cleanser because of the good reviews and was hoping it would take the redness out of my face. Right from day one of using this my skin started to break-out. I stuck at it because I thought it was just my skin adjusting to a new thing and it would soon calm down. 3 and a half weeks later I couldn't physically carry on with it any more. My face has completely changed, I now have more than 5 spots on my face at any time and it is very very sensitive. I blame my bad skin purely on Liz Earle because I changed nothing else in my skin-care regime. I immediately changed to Alpha H balancing cleanser which is helping me, but 4 weeks on and I'm still trying to sort out the mess this cleanser made of my skin. Would not recommend. Like others have said, the cocoa butter element is a stupid idea.

This is my all time favourite cleanser. I've spent the last six months trying out Estee Lauder's cleanser and I've started to get spots - at 36!!! Not sexy. I've tried all kinds of elimination as to what could be causing it - and narrowed it down to my new(ish) cleanser. So i went back to my Cleanse and Polish and within 2 weeks my skin was so grateful, the spots were almost gone and I was back to 'normal'. Cleanse and Polish just works for my skin and has done so for the past 8 years or so. I have combination skin and it's never too heavy with the cocoa butter. I can't say my skin would be the same if it was really greasy and can understand the reviews saying it doesn't work for them, but it just works for me. It loves the dry patches and doesn't make the oily patches worse. My skin feels totally cleansed after using the muslin cloth and I can use just a light moisturiser. And it's the ONLY cleanser on the planet that doesn't sting my eyes (and v good at removing waterproof mascara). Girls with sensitive or stingy eyes who loves their eye make-up should give this a try. Oh Cleanse and Polish how I've missed you!

on 3/18/2007 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I tried this cleanser hoping it could replace my pricey holy grail Eve Lom's cleansing cream. Alas, they are nothing alike. This does not cleanse remotely as well as Eve Lom's. It doesn't leave my skin as balanced either. I've finished two full-size pump bottles of Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish (I ordered the double set) and I won't be repurchasing. It's nice enough but nothing special. I wasn't impressed with the muslin cloths either because they aren't as exfoliating or as large as Eve Lom's cloths. In addition to the cleanser and muslin cloths, I also ordered a whole set of Liz Earle's products and while they were all nice enough, I didn't find any of them to be extra special. I liked her physical sunscreen fine but it was rather opaque and doesn't offer high PPD protection, so I won't be repurchasing that either. Other products I've tried include her moisturizer (the dry/sensitive one), the superbalm and a mask. The moisturizer was my favorite of all her products I've used.