Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.9

Not tested on animals

on 11/1/2012 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I don't usually write reviews but I just have to with this. I bought this cleanser after using Ponds Cold Cream (amazing) for a while. I will start off with saying that my skin is dry but was in good condition before trying this and always has been. I'd get maybe one or two hormonal spots a month and that would be that. I bought this cleanser because of the good reviews and was hoping it would take the redness out of my face. Right from day one of using this my skin started to break-out. I stuck at it because I thought it was just my skin adjusting to a new thing and it would soon calm down. 3 and a half weeks later I couldn't physically carry on with it any more. My face has completely changed, I now have more than 5 spots on my face at any time and it is very very sensitive. I blame my bad skin purely on Liz Earle because I changed nothing else in my skin-care regime. I immediately changed to Alpha H balancing cleanser which is helping me, but 4 weeks on and I'm still trying to sort out the mess this cleanser made of my skin. Would not recommend. Like others have said, the cocoa butter element is a stupid idea.

on 3/18/2007 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I tried this cleanser hoping it could replace my pricey holy grail Eve Lom's cleansing cream. Alas, they are nothing alike. This does not cleanse remotely as well as Eve Lom's. It doesn't leave my skin as balanced either. I've finished two full-size pump bottles of Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish (I ordered the double set) and I won't be repurchasing. It's nice enough but nothing special. I wasn't impressed with the muslin cloths either because they aren't as exfoliating or as large as Eve Lom's cloths. In addition to the cleanser and muslin cloths, I also ordered a whole set of Liz Earle's products and while they were all nice enough, I didn't find any of them to be extra special. I liked her physical sunscreen fine but it was rather opaque and doesn't offer high PPD protection, so I won't be repurchasing that either. Other products I've tried include her moisturizer (the dry/sensitive one), the superbalm and a mask. The moisturizer was my favorite of all her products I've used.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried time and time again with this cleanser and it really doesn't work for me. In fact I blame it for my having being so lazy when cleansing my face!
As a regular Liz Earle customer over the years I have been sent numerous trial size Cleanse and Polishes, it being lauded as their top product. I've only ever found it OK but hey, it's Liz Earle, everybody raves about it so it must be good so I've carried on using it. People have also bought it for me as a gift ("she likes Liz Earle, she must like this!") hence it has been my cleanser for years-though the reality has been that I've actually been using makeup wipes rather than this most of the time! This has only really been used when I suddenly think "I really should take my skincare more seriously and cleanse properly". Then it's such a faff that after a day or so I return to the lazy girl's solution of makeup wipes.
My experience of using this is that if you use it to remove makeup the muslin cloth is filthy after one use so has to be machine washed so you have to have several cloths to hand. When I'm tired and off to bed the last thing I want to faff about with is a wet, dirty facecloth-don't want to put it in my laundry basket when wet (don't want damp smelling washing if I don't get chance to launder it next day) so what do I do with it? After several washes the cloths become less soft too.
The product itself is just OK (but apparently the [massively inconvenient] cloths are what make it so magical so that's to be expected?? It stings if it gets in your eyes (and invariably it gets in your eyes when you're trying to remove eye makeup) and afterwards my skin feels a bit tight like I've used soap and water. Not great for dry skin types like mine.
Even the pump dispenser clogs (though probably because I leave it so long between uses) and you lose product that has solidified when you press it when you first use it.
I've now given my skincare regime a complete overhaul, discovered a far superior cleanser (Clarins Pure Melt) and this product is now consigned to the bin!
I've given 2 lippies because it's never broken me out and surely, if it were so bad, I wouldn't have used it for so many years-though when I compare it to my newfound cleanser I wonder what the hell I was doing!

I will happily I jumped head first onto the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish bandwagon. After reading rave reviews everywhere I went I figured I would give it a shot.

The product itself is a creamy texture and felt nice on the skin, used in conjunction with the muslin cloth it had a nice exfoliating effect and therein lay the problem for me. This product felt quite stripping on my skin and really dried me out. I found that I had a lot more flaky skin and it broke me out on my cheeks where I almost never break out.

Overall I really wanted to love it, especially because it was so expensive, but I ended up donating to a friend who raves about it and will use nothing else. It obviously works for a lot of people so it may be worth giving it a try it just didnt rock my world.

on 6/19/2011 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Generally very happy with this cleanser. During the first few days it did break me out a little in areas I had never broken out before, but that quickly went away, leaving my skin incredibly smooth, like glass; supple, cool and pore-less. The wondrous property of this product lies in this very fact: How long do these effects normally last? Not very long. Soon after cleansing, dry-skinned people need to moisturize or the complexion starts to feel tight, and oily women's skin starts producing oil again. As I fit in the first category, I can only vouch for this: My skin felt comfortable, without any dryness, forever. And by "forever" I mean a whole 48 hours without any moisturizer or other hydrating creams on (i.e. sunscreen), so it basically remained like this the entire time until the next wash, which in this case was long overdue. I was so very surprised by this fact, but moreover, this has been going on for months now. Meaning, my skin has never felt dry or tight or flaky again. It just seems comfortable, smooth and "independent" of outter factors for its happiness. This is unbelievable. I've tried so much in the past to make my skin feel a little better without constant care, and a cleanser is what finally did it. I bought my usual "loaded" moisturizer a while ago, and I haven't had to open it yet. Instead, I got my hands on a few moisturizer samples for normal/oily skin, and they fit me just fine. My skin is still far from oily, but since the light gels I tried were hydrating enough for the first time ever, that must mean it's turned at least pretty normal. This is a big relief and a wonderful, unexpected bonus from this new purchase. The muslin cloths that come with it deliver just the right amount of roughness and allow you to gently polish your skin every day, so you don't have to rub on harsh exfoliants anymore. At least that's how it's worked for me. I tossed all my abrasive, grainy pastes, and replaced them with this. Overall, nice packaging, very annoying scent. 4 lippies instead of 5 because I still get blemishes like I used to before I got into this one - I expected it to keep them somewhat at bay, and it hasn't, but maybe that's too much of me to ask. So yes, very satisfied with it indeed. Highly recommended.
UPDATE: This winter, as opposed to last year, my skin does feel slightly drier again, probably because it's gotten used to this product now. But to make up for that, this cleanser has now cleared up all my mild acne - it is remarkable how I wake up every morning after I've cleansed with this the previous evening; it just seems like my skin takes huge leaps of recovery each night thanks to this. Let's hope it doesn't get used to that effect too! 5 lippies, wholeheartedly. Will keep purchasing.

on 10/2/2014 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I never got on with this cleanser. Over the years I have regularly tried it out because the reviews have always been so glowing and its cheaper than Eve Lom, but nope, my skin looked and felt awful. Red, raw, greasy, spotty, unclean, generally yuk. I went on a skin detox. 3 days without washing and then re-introduction of products one at a time. I have found the culprits. Cocoa butter and shea butter, This product contains cocoa butter, hence the problems with congestion and spots. If you're fortunate enough to have skin that laps up the aforementioned ingredients then you will love this cleanser and it deserves it rave reviews. If you don't get on with it, then you may well not get on with any products containing these butters. I don't. But there are alternatives out there (Emma Hardie, Eve Lom to name but but two).

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I liked this and finished the bottle, but I'm not sure I'll repurchase. I like milk/balm cleansers in general (and always use a muslin cloth and love the Liz earle cloths!) but this one felt waxy on my skin. Even after removing it with the muslin cloth I felt like there was a waxy layer on my skin which kept my skin from breathing. I think beeswax is one of the ingredients. I like the Ren milk cleanser better, also Burt's bees orange oil cleanser and clarins cleansing milk are some that I like better.

on 3/13/2017 1:02:00 AM

I used this consistently for about 2 weeks to give it a fair try, I also used it as directed and rubbed my face very lightly with the cloth in circular motions and I rinsed really well with warm and then cold water.

While washing my face I began to notice little red bumps like a rash appearing on my forehead, this subsided shortly after washing my face so no big deal but not long after little white heads and red pimples started appearing on my forehead, temples, hair line, sides of my nose, chin and jaw line and ive one or two on my cheeks as well, I stopped using the cleanser but ive now got large painful, red cystic spots on my chin, temple and forehead and small pimples everywhere else that wont clear up.

I read somewhere that this can be the product drawing all the crap out of your skin but it's been 2 weeks and ive seen no improvement, for something that claims to improve your skin, it's given me skin problems.

Ive never had acne prone skin and its rare that a product breaks me out although it does happen occasionally, never anything as bad as this, ive a big red scab on one side of my forehead after using this. My skin is usually so dry I have to moisturise daily with oils, heavy creams like Palmers cocoa butter or Vaseline to get some life into it, its rare I get spots so I don't know what's in this that's causing me skin problems.

on 9/8/2015 4:26:00 PM

Well...I must be one of the only people on the planet that finds this brand super over rated. Seriously I bought the cleanser, moisturiser, toner and brightening mask and none of it does anything at all for my skin apart from make it feel like I've only washed my face with plain water.

Definintly going back to Dermalogica when I use this all up which hopefully is soon as my skin is so dry and clogged up! Useless!

Overall I really enjoyed using this product. I love the design of the packaging. The pump means you don't accidentally squirt too much out. The cleanser is soft and moisturising and one of the best I have used. My only personal down fall was the miniaturisation level just wasn't quite high enough for me. Will still be a staple product in the back of my cupboard for those really sensitive skin days.

Popular Face Skincare Products