Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.4

Not tested on animals

on 3/16/2018 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! I got a sample in my Birchbox and fell in love. It's cleansing but doesn't strip your face of essential oils and also doesn't break you out either. I just ordered a full size. Amazing stuff!

This is a product I've come back to time and time again! I've tried other cleansers, but nothing at all is as fantastic as this.. I had a serious acne breakout over the summer from a Bare Minerals oil cleanser (which at first was amazing) but then this horrible breakout started, I stopped using this and repurchased the Liz Earle and low and behold cleared up my skin like a dream.. I won't be trying any other cleansers now, I've found "My" perfect cleanser and I'm sticking to it! This product removes everything and my skin feels so good, clean and fresh after using... its very pleasant to use and makeup goes on so well due to how smooth it makes my skin.. definitely a 5* from me... highly recommended..

I'm up to my umpteenth tube of this - what a great product. Melts all my make up off (even give it a good rub into my eyes - negates the need for eye make up remover, never stings eyes). Smells great. A big tube lasts forever. I usually use an oil balm cleanser in the evening first, then use this second. Obvs, wipe off with a hot flannel. Also use this as my morning cleanse. If you sign up to the newsletter (UK) you sometimes can get a good discount code. So pleased this is now in Boots - what a pain in the bum it used to be hiking into John Lewis in town to buy it. Winner.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried time and time again with this cleanser and it really doesn't work for me. In fact I blame it for my having being so lazy when cleansing my face!
As a regular Liz Earle customer over the years I have been sent numerous trial size Cleanse and Polishes, it being lauded as their top product. I've only ever found it OK but hey, it's Liz Earle, everybody raves about it so it must be good so I've carried on using it. People have also bought it for me as a gift ("she likes Liz Earle, she must like this!") hence it has been my cleanser for years-though the reality has been that I've actually been using makeup wipes rather than this most of the time! This has only really been used when I suddenly think "I really should take my skincare more seriously and cleanse properly". Then it's such a faff that after a day or so I return to the lazy girl's solution of makeup wipes.
My experience of using this is that if you use it to remove makeup the muslin cloth is filthy after one use so has to be machine washed so you have to have several cloths to hand. When I'm tired and off to bed the last thing I want to faff about with is a wet, dirty facecloth-don't want to put it in my laundry basket when wet (don't want damp smelling washing if I don't get chance to launder it next day) so what do I do with it? After several washes the cloths become less soft too.
The product itself is just OK (but apparently the [massively inconvenient] cloths are what make it so magical so that's to be expected?? It stings if it gets in your eyes (and invariably it gets in your eyes when you're trying to remove eye makeup) and afterwards my skin feels a bit tight like I've used soap and water. Not great for dry skin types like mine.
Even the pump dispenser clogs (though probably because I leave it so long between uses) and you lose product that has solidified when you press it when you first use it.
I've now given my skincare regime a complete overhaul, discovered a far superior cleanser (Clarins Pure Melt) and this product is now consigned to the bin!
I've given 2 lippies because it's never broken me out and surely, if it were so bad, I wouldn't have used it for so many years-though when I compare it to my newfound cleanser I wonder what the hell I was doing!

Have been using all kind of cleansers over the years - milk, mousse, balm and more recently micellaire water, which I find horrible as it just does not clean no matter the brand, but nothing, absolutely nothing comes close to this. Not Eve Lom, not Ren (which I stll think makes very good products), not Dermalogica, not Clinique, Clarins and the likes. I would get OK results with a milk cleanser/Clarisonic combo but Cleans&Polish is more effective, more gentle, less time-consuming and easier to use. It removes mascara and eye shadow, it REALLY keeps pores junk-free and my skin colour looks more uniform.

Before my very first application, I got a facial done so I started off with clean skin. A month down the line, using it twice a day, and my pores are still clean and I couldn't ask for more.

EDIT - not realising that my second bottle was finishing (yep packaging isn't great), and given that in Italy I can only get it through mail order, I went and bought a very basic though delicate cleanser to use while waiting for my Cleans&Polish to arrive. I hate wasting products so I forced myself to use the cheap cleanser up (with LE cloth) before switching to Cleans&Polish again and... the results are as good! I really think that what we should be praising here is the cloth more than the product itself! Won't be purchasing Cleans&Polish again.

on 2/4/2014 4:43:00 PM

I tried this product by itself, and with the muslin cloth included. I used it every single day for a week, exactly as instructed on the packaging. I don't understand what the fuss is about! As a cleanser on its own, I didn't find it to be effective at all. I've read claims that it gets rid of all traces of makeup, including eye makeup, and that couldn't be any more inaccurate. I was left with a lovely set of raccoon eyes and a greasy film on my skin. Blech! When used with the muslin cloth it manages to leave less of a film, and a streakier version of raccoon eyes. Oh...added bonus is that it made me break out on my cheeks! I haven't broken out on my cheeks since I was a teenager!
I'm going to stick with my Philosophy Purity Made Simple.

I thought this was a well priced and effective product. Really theres no excuses for dirty faces anymore!
I love the texture- its so much easier to use than the Eve Lom cleansers when you live in a really cold country. And the packaging is really practical. Beats a huge clutzy tub hands down.
My face feels soft and more hydrated after I have used it, and I need less moisturiser.

The only but BIG problem for me is I intensely dislike the sickly menthol smell. It reminds me of my dad's chinese medicine oil... and the ..... inital notes in Tuberose Criminalle. urrghhh gag gag gag, and that is why I will not repurchase.

on 10/26/2013 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The best purchase I ever made and never used anything since. Others tell me my skin looks fantastic and I know its down to cleanse and polish and instant boost skin tonic. I use another brand of serum and moisturiser followed by a primer from Avon. My skin doesn't react to any make up and I get no break outs. My desert island product!

on 10/18/2013 5:52:00 PM

I've been using this for over a year and I keep buying it as it really suits my skin. Not everything works for everyone but I find that it keeps my skin from drying out and I managed to get through the whole of last years harsh winter without developing any of the dry patches of skin that I usually get. Even my beautician commented that I had lovely clear skin. I buy it when Liz Earle has special offers or as part of their monthly deals to keep the cost down.

Not for sensitive/combo skin like mine. I used it a while back when my skin wasn't so sensitive and it got me hooked on hot cloth cleansers - of which I currently use Elemis Pro Radiance and my Gatineau Soothing cleanser I now also use with a hot cloth - but Liz Earle always used to leave a residue and I sometimes felt it was clogging my pores slightly. The smell, though lovely, I feel is a little too indulgent for everyday use. I used it again recently while travelling and my skin just didn't like it. Probably suits normal to dry skin more.