Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish
No Title

3.9

Not tested on animals

Great post! I have done a review for acne prone skin and how it helped clear my skin: http://www.emilyrajch.co.uk/liz-earle-cleanse-polish-review-acne/

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this! I have become quite the fan of European skincare and fragrance products as they are great for my sensitive skin. This is creme de la creme for me.

It does remove light makeup but if you use a full face of it or a really longwearing and/or full-coverage foundation, you will likely need to cleanse twice or with two cleansers.

I use it as directed but with using a regular washcloth as opposed to the muslin, as I exfoliate chemically (Pixi Glow Tonic) more often than doing anything physical with a cloth or a scrub. This doesn't irritate my skin and leaves it clean but soft-feeling and helps to lessen the severity of the inevitable hormonal breakouts and to take them down quickly. Rinse off well as the formula is thick, but your skin, if like mine, will feel so soft.

This is my go-to product for my sensitive, dull and eczema prone skin- I used to nick my Mum's one until she got sick of it an bought me my own about 7 years ago. I've been using it ever since and swear by it! Don't worry about the muslin cloths- use a flannel if you like, same result. Remember not to use water that is too hot as I feel this is what strips your face, rather than the product (in response to the comments below re stripping face) I love it and would highly recommend giving it a go x

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a brilliant, if expensive, cleanser. My skin has never felt so clean! And I'm noticing that it's starting to look a little clearer since using this too.

I use this product after taking my make-up off, usually with a micellar solution, to make sure every last bit of dirt and grime is gone. I wear foundation, blusher etc every day so like to make sure my skin is completely clean before bed - and this really does the trick!

It is very expensive for a cleanser but you don't need a lot of product for each use so it lasts a while. From reading other reviews some people have mentioned things like irritation - personally I haven't experienced that, but I guess different skin types react differently (I'm oily/combination).

Basically, wow - best cleanser I've used. Makes my skin feel soft and clean like nothing else I've used.

One thing I did notice is that the muslin cloth starts to smell a bit weird after a few uses, but I guess you don't always need to use it (a flannel also works) - but maybe give it a wash every now and again.

on 1/17/2015 10:54:00 PM

Cleansing balms are kind of a new thing for me and admittedly, I don't have any similar products to compare this to. However, I really like the overall effect that this gives my skin. For those of you who don't know, this cleansing balm does three great things.

1. It gets rid of the crap on your face, including most eye makeup, with little hassle.

2. It doesn't overly dry your face out too much so if you have dry skin, this is quite good.

3. If you get it in your eye, you won't be screaming in agony.

This particular one is also not too expensive compared to a lot of the ones I've seen with a bottle lasting 3 or 4 months with everyday use. The starter kit comes with some clothes that help get even more crap from your face. Plus I'm sure you can find some of the starter kits Birchbox has been giving out if you want to try it.

Honestly, my skin has never felt better since using this kind of cleanser and I always come back to it. If your have dry skin, it's worth a shot.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I was a bit worried about using this product as I have sensitive spot prone skin. I thought the travel size one would be best to try out before I purchased the larger full size cleanser. It removed my makeup very well but did still feel like it left some product on my skin, so I used soap and glory face and clarity afterwards which did get rid of the excess Liz Earle. I then used Liz earls toner and there wasn't any makeup on my cotton wool pad left over. I only use this cleanser in the evening to get rid of my makeup and it does a very good job of this! It cuts through even the long wear foundations. The only thing I hate is the hot cloths you have to use, your makeup stains them on the first use. Even though I rinse them over and over they are still stained and feel like you need to replace them after 2 days. Even in the washing machine the stains are still visible. This can end up being pricy. I have used it without the hot cloths lately and it seems to not make much difference so I may just ditch the cloths altogether. I've been using this for a year now and ow purchase the largest cleanser available.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the best cleanser I have used. It removes all traces of dirt and makeup whilst maintaining my skins softness. I do still suffer from blemishes however I think that it is hormonal. I will always use this cleanser now as my skin looks a lot more radiant as a result of using this everyday

on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

I am mega fussy with the products that I put on my face as I'm very prone to both breakouts and sensitivity. This keeps my skin perfectly clear and balanced and breakout free! I have repurchased this 4 times now so I think that speaks for iteself.
Not tested on animals either, which is a bonus.