It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better SPF 50 CC Cream

3.8

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I may be the oldest living reader/reviewer, but I still am concerned about my skin, about sun protection and about looking as youthful as I can. And for that I have always turned to Chantecaille for makeup despite its horrendous prices, and recently switched to Asian skin care which is gentle and extremely hydrating. That said, the enthusiasm for this product here on MUA, plus the sun protection this CC cream offers, made me curious enough to try it.

I ordered Light, which looked a bit greyish when I first squeezed a tiny drop on my wrist. Ugh, another ashy cream I thought. And it was thick, almost concealer thick. I dotted it on my face, blended it with a foundation brush and was surprised that it looked like ---my skin! The color was perfect, the product undetectable. This was/is the best CC cream yet. And I am depending on it now for daily life. It does not have Chantecaille's light elegance, but it is amazing in its ability to give you an absolutely natural look, not emphasize lines, even out tone, protect from sun, and last all day. I would certainly bring sunscreen going to the beach, but ordinarily it does a good job and stays put. For that, I turn to it most days; I do not think I can do better and am about to order a second tube.

I would suggest that if you decide to try it, go easy, use very little, dotting it sparingly as they say, as otherwise it might disappoint. I use a slightly damp foundation brush which works well.

I've been using the It Cosmetics CC cream for a while and having been a user of Korean BB creams (Dr. G Hydra is my favorite), I wasn't really in the market to try something else since I thought I had found my HG with Dr. G Hydra Intensive Blemish balm. I saw a video of the IT Cosmetics cc cream and just HAD to try it because it looked like it was better coverage, lighter in texture, creamier than even my HG bb cream. Plus, it had snail filtrate in it and I am currently in love with the Asian snail creams (Elisha Coy and Snailstreet are my favorites for snail cream along with Dr. Jart's snail products that you can get from Sephora although the Asian brands are less expensive and higher in snail mucin percentage wise). Back to the It cosmetics cc cream. I ordered the light (I am NC20-25, sunny beige in Laura Mercier), and it is a perfect match. Just a pea size does the whole face. I dot it on a moisturized face, then blend it in with the It Cosmetics buffing brush (the flat top one). The It brushes are fantastic by the way. The cc cream covers up everything, it is hydrating, gives the skin a dewy look, softens wrinkles, and is truly a "my skin but better" look. It feels lighter than a bb cream, blends easier than a bb cream, and has better coverage. I am 54 years old and I have normal/oily skin and I do have to apply a powder over it in the warmer months (winter, I'm ok with it by itself) so I normally apply a light dusting of IT cosmetics Celebration powder (in light medium) over on top. I do not feel like I have anything on my skin with the cc cream whereas with bb cream, I can definitely feel there is something on my skin. It also lasted all day without any touchups except maybe oil blotting papers to remove a little oil in the summer. Even after I wash off the cc cream at night (I use Philosophy Purity cleanser with my clarisonic), my skin feels really good and super soft, like I had some skin treatment on all day. That is probably due to the snail filtrate and the other anti-aging ingredients in the cc cream. There is a scent but it is very light, almost citrusy/lemon. Very pleasant. I did a entire face using It Cosmetics that I have in my profile...just too shy to post it on the boards. I have the It Cosmetics cc cream in light, celebration powder in light medium, vitality blush in peony, lips are damsel. LOVE this product but I do think it is probably more suitable for older skin, and as I've stated, I am 54 years old.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I find this product disappointing because of the company's inexplicable decision to add fragrance and highly phototoxic furocoumarins (bergamot, lime, lemon, grapefruit oil!!) and irritants (eucalyptus) to a product marketed as designed for sensitive, rosacean, problem skin. Why would they risk a reaction and phototoxicity for the sake of extraneous and unnecessary ingredients? I don't get it.

Anyway, I got a trial size of this (don't remember if it was a GWP or something I got w/ bonus points) and thought, everyone is raving about this stuff, I have sensitive skin and rosacea, maybe I should try it. For reference, I have very oily but dehydrated, sensitive, acne and rosacea prone skin, and some areas of excessive pigment and bad texture from a horrific IPL experience. Daily spf is a must.

When I first read the ings, (I should've read the ings beforehand, but somehow I didn't.) I was so horrified at the inclusion of these highly phototoxic and widely known to be BAD ings that I was afraid to try it. Just google phototoxic, lime & bergamot, and you'll get numerous medical articles and reports about people getting rashes and skin darkening after using products containing these ingredients and going in the sun.

So I emailed the company and asked them why they included phototoxic ingredients in a product intended for people with sensitive skin to be used on their faces in direct sunlight. Is there something I don't know about the way they are using them, that makes them NOT phototoxic and irritating? I got a canned answer, saying nothing: Sorry you weren't satisfied, we strive to make the best, yada, yada, yada. I expected to get some explanation, like, well, we process these otherwise bothersome ingredients through the XYZ DNA recombiner and then the Neutron Atomizer, and poof, no phototoxicity left, and yay, even some UV protective effect. Or something like that. Nope.

So I sat and looked at this tube for a few months, then one day I got daring and thought, maybe they just didn't care enough to give you an answer, and maybe those ingredients in this formula are, for whatever reason they failed to explain, perfectly OK. So I tried it, and this is what I found, after about 10 days of use:

-consistency is a very smooth, gel-cream. Extremely elegant, does not catch at all on flakes / dry lines. Floats right over 'em and makes my skin look much smoother, which is a huge plus given my post-IPL mess of chronic dehydration lines, pits, and general nasty crinkliness. A++ in the "smoothing" department.

-smell: a weird lime lollipop smell. Not pleasant to me, but it does fade pretty quickly.

-color: I got the "Light." I have light, very yellow (other than all the broken blood vessels and discolorations from the rosacea and the new ones I got from the IPL) skin. My best color matches are NARS Fiji, Revlon Colorstay in Buff w/ some Golden Beige and many drops of yellow food coloring added (was it 12 drops? can't remember), and Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless in Warm Nude 128 in summer. This was not quite yellow enough, but few things are, and it was close, for winter anyway. It was more yellow than most of the universal light, medium and dark BB and CC creams out there, which tend to run too pink or too gray on me. I'd say the "Light" is kind of a neutral w/ a yellow tone.

-coverage: I have a lot to cover. To me, Full coverage is EL Maximum Cover Camouflage Double wear (the cream in the navy tube, not the liquid). This is not full coverage. I dabbed some of my trusty EL Max cover over any really bad areas that this did not cover and I was good to go. It's medium coverage when I first apply, and wears off to light/non-existent in about 6 hours.

-finish: a gorgeous dewy but not shiny, satin-matte. Very skin-like, not mask like at all. I hate shiny, but this had a beautiful natural skin, smooth finish I really liked. I have oily skin and tried this in winter and was pleased w/ the finish and moisture level - not sure it would work for me in hot, humid weather.

-wear: Not nearly as much as my usual Revlon Colorstay or Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless. BY the end of the work day, it had pretty much all worn off except for some patches where I had dabbed some EL Max cover to cover my really bad areas. So I looked patchy. BUt I'm also oily. This would probably fade faster in summer on me, but might last longer on someone w/ less oily skin.

-UV protection: It has 9% TnO and 6.x% something ZnO. I wore it all day on sunny and cloudy winter days in New England on workdays (meaning I got a little UV exposure in the AM, at lunch, and that's about it) w/ a powder over that has an spf of about 20. Each time I removed it, my skin looked faintly pink and my pigmented patches looked a tiny bit darker. Not a lot. Usually, for me, any pinkness, or what some people call glowy, is a very bad omen. It almost always ends up turning into outright redness, rashes, irritation. It hasn't flared into that yet, and I do see a slight darkening of my pigmented patches. So maybe the phototoxicity of the bergamot/lime/citrus can't keep up w/ the spf, and the balance is tipping in favor of darkening and reddening from the sun? I'm not sure if it's UV rxn or mild irritation rxn.

Bottom line: In my opinion, It Cosmetics ruined an otherwise truly awesome product w/ a few totally unnecessary, risky ings. Why they would throw in crap like bergamot and lime oil and eucalyptus is beyond me. I don't think an unscented product would not sell well to people w/ sensitive skin - they are used to avoiding scented products. I read somewhere that the EU limits these ingredients to a certain ppm or whatever and they are considered safe if under this limit. Perhaps this product meets these stds and had little enough that they should not cause a problem for most. But why risk it? And why don't they explain how these ings are beneficial, or even safe, for sensi

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My primary motivation for trying this product is the fabulous physical sunscreen, which is so hard to find in a quality, makeup-friendly formula that doesn't clog pores or pill, etc.. At 50 plus, thisis a TOP priority for me now to avoid dark spots. On that front, this is great. I have been using a chemical sunscreen and either concealer only or Laura Mercier silk creme or Cover FX foundations. I am not normally a wearer of TM, BB, or CC creams because the coverage is worthless and I am very particular about what I put on my face ingredient wise and they just contain too much crap, IMHO. My main coverage needs are for mild redness, otherwise good skin. If it can't cover redness (most products don't), I don't use it.

The pros:

Surprisingly good coverage (for a couple of hours), decent coverage of redness
When it fades, it does so evenly and does not look splotchy
Non-irritating on initial use (but I have not used long-term-see below)
No limonene, linalool or synthetic fragrances (common irritants/sensitizers)
Does not emphasize dry patches, pores, or wrinkles, even in nose creases, etc.
Nice texture
Blends in pretty well, even if not a perfect color match
Looks like skin
NOT greasy-looking (HUGE plus)
Pump on end of tube

The cons:

Faded quickly (but almost everything does on me)
--- The directions say to re-apply every 2 hours, which is NOT normally necessary with a physical sunscreen (as opposed to chemical sunscreens which are short-acting). That is about how long it took to fade on me and for some redness to become visible. I expected better longevity. If you put any kind of makeup on over it, you can't reapply, so the directions to re-apply make no sense to me. Most people would apply powder or blush or at concealer, etc. I think if you plan to wear this more than a couple of hours, it would be necessary to apply a powder foundation over or something like that to get coverage for a full day. I guess you could apply regular liquid foundation afterwards before other makeup also. I thought the whole marketing point of this product was to eliminate the need for multiple products, however, so maybe it is overhyped in that regard.

WAY TOO YELLOW and DARK compared to their concealers
-- I applied Light on one side of my face and Medium on the other, both are EXTREMELY yellow and dark compared to the concealers by this company, a heads up there if you use those. Both blended out well. The formula is somewhat forgiving but these would be more universally flattering tones if they were a little less yellow. I think this company has overcompensated for some negative feedback about needing warmer tones and now has gone way overboard in the warmth department with their new products. I may try the "Fair" which looks too light for me but is less yellow.

Small color range.

Does not last.

Contains aluminum hydroxide, which I prefer to avoid, although I understand its purpose.

Contains potential sensitizers/irritants - citrus oils, bergamot, and eucalyptus which could cause irritation. The bergamot and eucalyptus in particular seem unnecessary and would be better removed. The citrus may have some preservative effect, not sure if that is its intended purpose. Find less irritating alternatives, companies! Too many people have problems with these. Especially weird for a line formulated by a woman with severe rosacea! HELLO!?!!!!!!

Tube does not stand up, would prefer a stand up pump container that do not have to hold (for hygienic reasons).

Conclusion: For me, most foundations, BB, CC etc fade after a few hours and make me look WORSE than if I wore nothing. This at least fades evenly, which is HUGE. I did not look like total crap when it started to fade. However, I still think just plain sunscreen and concealer ends up looking better after a few hours on me anyway. I may try this in the "Fair" with my normal foundation over it and see how well it lasts. If you have to put a bunch of crap under and/or over it, I think it defeats the marketed purpose of the product. . . . . I am also iffy about using something with eucalyptus on a daily basis. On second thought, I think I will pass and look for something without essential oils.

I swear by this foundation. I'm not much of a makeup expert. I just wear a few products that I like and that I think are reasonably priced. If you are really, really picky about makeup or into really high end brands, this product might not be for you. For me, it's da bomb.

I like the coverage (which can go from pretty heavy to light depending on what you want) and the dewy look that it produces. It covers just about everything that I want to cover without looking cakey or dry. I swear that my skin looks better even without makeup since I've been using this product. I have not had any breakouts to speak of and some of my larger pores seem to have gotten smaller.

My one warning is to make sure that you get this product exactly and not the version with "illumination." I had the illumination one first and really didn't like it because it didn't make me look glowy and illuminated. It made me look like I had a lost a fight with jar of glitter.

I walked into the store to purchase a light foundation to mix with the one I had been matched with which was too dark. I told the associate to excuse the flaking caused by my retinol product. She came back with a bottle of the It primer serum and the flakes were instantly gone. Then she used the CC Cream on top. I did not expect much. I looked amazing and it took a few years off my face.
The coverage was good enough to cover or diminish the look of a couple of age spots.
Apparently my other primer and foundation products were just to drying for my skin. After I left, I ran my errands and kept checking my face. There was no dryness and no pilling. Using these two products is so easy than applying four as I had to do previously.
The thrill of it all was that the associate was not an It rep. so she did not try to promote additional product.
I am 58 with skin on the dryer side and am fighting wrinkles. If your skin is like mine, sample it and expect to be pleased.

I will start by saying that I am not a fan of CC Creams or BB Creams. All the ones I have tried have promised a lot but just ended up oily with no coverage-until this one.
I bought a travel sized tube in Fair for an upcoming holiday on a very exposed little island off the coast of Scotland. I have too many hangups to go barefaced, but I wanted something a bit lighter than my usual Dior Capture Serum Foundation (which I adore) and I needed a good sunblock.
My first impression was that the colour was very pale-Kabuki mask pale. I was very pleased that the colour on my skin was extremely natural looking with no ghostliness (I call it the Procul Harem look) .
On application I found that a very little went a very long way. I now know to use a small amount on my whole face then apply another thin layer to my t-zone.
I used the IT Bye Bye Pores powder VERY lightly to set the makeup.
The result was a beautiful natural look which did not get oily and lasted all day.
It looked natural but, thankfully, not like the natural me:) I have rosascea and I am 54 years old so there is such a thing as too natural!
I will not be giving up my Dior foundation but I will definitely be stocking up on this CC Cream for more casual occasions.
FYI I have very pale skin which is very sensitive but oily on the t-zone and I suffer from Rosascea. I am also 54 with a very few small wrinkles. This did not irritate me at all, caused no breakouts and did not settle in lines. In fact it made my skin look smoother!

UPDATE

A couple of weeks later still loving this stuff. I thought I might try the Light to give my face more colour in the Australian Summer. Not one of my best ideas. I will stick with the Fair and put a bit of Guerlain Terracotta bronzer on top if I feel too anaemic looking.
Also discovered the joy of the IT Bye Bye Redness cream under this makeup. Take a look at my review.
The combination is terrific.
PS still no skin irritation at all

MUCH LATER UPDATE

Really loving this makeup. I find I prefer it to my heavier Dior foundation 98% of the time. It looks so natural. No skin irritation at all. Also mixing the 2 light colours together gives me a great Summer shade.

I decided to try this based on user reviews and also the advice of a consultant at Ulta. I am so glad I tried this! It is definitely the best product I have found to put on my skin that does not feel like makeup or foundation.

I hate wearing foundation and I think it makes most peoples complexions look worse whether young or old. I like real skin to be visible. This product is amazing, it looks like a foundation in your hand but smooths on beautifully and feels so wonderful on your face. I love how it really does look like your skin but better!

I read a review of this on Beautypedia, Paula Begoun's website and was shocked at the poor rating and review. I usually agree with her and respect her advice but I have to disagree with her on this one! I purchased a couple of CC or BB creams she recommends and I thought they were horrible!

Oh well, thankfully I have found this and will continue to use it. I do not find it irritating at all and my skin is sensitive. Interestingly, some of the products recommended by Begoun have irritated my skin, so I am realizing that everybody is different and what may irritate one person's skin just might be fine for someone else.

I have used this for many months now and my skin is feeling great! the sunscreen is awesome; I use and love Paula's Resist Super-Light Daily Defense (Which I absolutely love and will never stop using!) and this product goes over it beautifully and I am assured that I am getting very good sun protection with these two products. They work together so well and result in a matte, true skin-like finish that resists oil all day yet keeps skin hydrated and moisturized at the same time! Awesome!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First day I put it on and didn't think much about it but when I got in the car to do a car mirror check I was blown away. By my own amazing face.
I purchased this CC cream because I was frustrated with how thick and cakey most foundations are (they're meant to be full coverage...) and I didn't need the thickness anymore because my skin has healed so much since bad acne days. I wanted a nice cream that would be smooth against my skin, a very light foundation, perhaps. I already had a BB cream for everyday light coverage, but I wanted something nicer for going out.

PROS:
- You get what you pay for. This CC cream delivers. It really makes my face look like a million dollars. I won't be needing foundation now.
- You don't have to put sunscreen on underneath! Saves time
- Moisturizing, gives my skin a glow! So I don't have to put moisturizer on either for it to look smooth!
- Anti-aging. I'm young, but I feel great knowing that using this CC cream is going to protect my young skin now so it will still look great later!
- The delicious scent. It smells so delicious!! Like fresh oranges! Very fruity and nice.
- Luxury brand. I don't usually spend this much on product but the way I see it I'm getting a lot of products for the price of one, and this is a good brand, so I like knowing I'm not throwing away my money on junk. This stuff is the real deal.
- Coverage is out of this world. My skin looks PERFECT. AIRBRUSHED.

Cons
- it's expensive. (But good foundations that don't look cakey run around 50 bucks... and they do NOT include SPF protection / moisturizer)
- if you have ultra-sensitive skin and you want a fragrance-free product... this definitely has a scent. A great scent, but still a scent.
- If you're looking for something barely there, don't go with a CC cream, or at least not this one, because it does offer great coverage, it's a little thicker. Try a BB cream or tinted moisturizer.

Verdict: This product is GREAT for people who want to swap out their foundation for something really smooth and natural looking but still need coverage!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

EDIT: After original review, I returned it. Color match wasn't good enough and was really emphasizing any flakes. Fast forward 2 months... skin less flaky (thank you Noble soap! and springtime!) and a 25% sale. I bought two colors (fair and light) to mix. Very nice - toned down the yellow and gave let me go a little lighter. I've been able to sheer this out to medium coverage using BB - 1,000x better than brush (and yes I have the fabulous IT brush). Looks SO skin-like! I wear SPF under b/c no one is going to wear a 1/4 tsp of this CC to get anywhere close to SPF 50. On me, it looks like satin finish w/o powder which is HUGE! I hate using powder on my dry skin. This week, I applied self-tanner on my face and now the Light looks good on me w/o having to mix in Fair. I'm still going to hang on to the fair for when seasons change. Love this! Adding some primer under oily t-zone really improved how long this wears.

EDIT #2: Still LOVING this. It is holding up SO WELL to extreme high heat and humidity. Just love this stuff!!!

****ORIGINAL REVIEW****

Me: NC20, dry skin/oily t-zone

SHORT REVIEW: Great foundation for someone wanting FULL coverage IF you can find a color match (good luck!).

LONG REVIEW...

Coverage: This is true FULL coverage. Much fuller than I expected - I know the name says full but I didn't believe it. I can sheer it out to about medium coverage but still sometimes get too much between eyebrows and it can look cakey. It is thick and VERY pigmented and somewhat tricky to work with. Best method I've found is using fingers then finish with beauty blender. After application because it is full coverage, sometimes I look too "all one color" and "one note" for my preference, and I *have* to highlight and contour to give myself some dimension. There is definitely some green in the product to help cancel redness which is a HUGE plus.

Finish: I would call this a satin finish but I do set it *lightly* with powder. Would be dewier without the powder. Looks dewier throughout day as powder wear off and oil comes through - which is fine with me. May be shiny on oily skin.

Color match: I am a little lighter than NC20. The light is a *little* too dark for me. I'm afraid the "fair" shade will be too light though. Looks OK on my face but definately the dreaded line where face meets neck. I normally wouldn't "knock" a product for not having "my" color but since this is a full coverage product - color match is essential. Four colors is just too limited. I'm writing this review at the very end of winter at my "peak paleness". I'm hoping this will look better this summer.

Lasts: Unlike several reviewers here, I was actually impressed with the staying power. But I do think it kind of "breaks down" instead of just fades away when it does start to wear - that only happens at the END of the day - like nighttime.

Hydration: I have dryskin. Usually lack of hydration and/or emphasizing flaziness is my #1 reason for me nixing a product. I found this with a decent level of hydration. I'm a little drier on my chin lately so I put a little moisturizer under that area. Really pleasantly surprised! Some days by the VERY end of the day, I do FEEL a bit dry but don't look it. If I have flakes, this does make them look worse (most foundations do though - flakes suck!)

Irritation/Scent: I was VERY nervous about the potentially irritating citrus oils in this product. Beautypedia (who I take with grain of salt) slammed this product with a "poor" rating. I have experienced NO sensitivity/irritation. I'm not overly fond of the scent but it goes away very quickly - by the time I have completed my m/u. I have to agree with other review that I can't understand what purpose these ingredients serve in this product marketed to sensitive skin women??? Uber sensitive women beware!

Price: Not bad IMO at all since it is an "all-in-one type product. IT site has frequent sales and promotions (sign up for emails). Correction to another review... this tube is 1.08 NOT 1.8 fl oz. Big difference there!

Repurchase??? I'm not sure... I was wanting an all-in one product for quick days and casual days. This IS a great all-in-one product (even has physical s/s which I LOVE!) but... it ISN'T casual since it's full coverage and it really ISN'T quick since I feel the need to highlight and contour to add some dimension to it. I feel like my PC All Bases Covered looks better on me (more skin-like and MUCH better color match) than this CC cream - and is about half the price. I do think this CC has slightly better longevity and isn't quite as moisturizing which could be a plus this summer.