4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

Milani is my go to for drugstore, "cheap" lipstick and this color is one of my favorites. I accidentally broke my first one and ran out to get another asap! It is a deep berry color that is flattering on almost any skin tone. The color has a great longevity, I usually only have to reapply after a meal. I usually prep my lips with lip balm before I apply and it glides on so smoothly. I don't have a liner to match this color- but it stays put so well and doesn't creep outside my lip line like so many other drugstore brands tend to do.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairBlond

4 years ago

Dark colors are often patchy, and unfortunately this is the case. If you are familiar with Milani Color Statement Lipstick formula, you know how even and creamy it is, even in mattes in this line. I also have Best Red, which is also a matte, but the difference is huge. Sangria is patchy and clings to dry patches. The finish isn't completely matte, rather satin. In terms of MAC Rebel dupes, I think Wet'n'Wild Sugar Plum Fairy wins because it is more pigmented and creamy, easier to apply. Also, Sugar Plum Fairy is brighter and has much more fuchsia pink in it. For a more matte look, I can also recommend NYX Aria. It is less pigmented than Wet'n'Wild lipstick, but you can build up the color; it applies evenly and stays put. I would recommend applying Sangria over a lip pencil or applied with a lip brush; this way it performs best.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Kinky, Medium

EyesHazel

1.0

5 years ago

tried this lipstick twice since being new to deeper colors. this shade is not pigmented like the others and applies all uneven and uncomfortable! I do love Milani lipsticks, but hate this shade as well as red label!!!

About reviewer (40 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Dark, Neutral

HairBlack, Other, Other

5 years ago

This was a real sleeper shade for me. I purchased it ages ago, threw it in my drawer, and forgot about it. In the midst of a massive unused makeup purge, I think my original tube of it didn't make the cut, and seems to have gone the way of the discarded products. What a mistake that was... I decided to repurchase this shade today, and now I'm kicking myself for ever having doubted it. Now I can't say for sure that it is a 100% dupe of MAC Rebel, but I can say that every swatch I've seen online of the two side by side is enough to convince me that I'd never need Rebel in my life as long as I have this shade. Pair that with the fact that this Milani lipstick boasts a matte finish (my favorite) and you can tell Rebel to go scratch. I've not found this to go on patchy unless my lips are a bit dry (which they have been thanks to New England's rubbish Winter air), but a proper exfoliation and moisturizing before hand seems to help reduce the patchiness considerably. I'm sure this would be a total non-issue in the warmer, less dry months. That being said, I don't experience any additional dryness after using this lipstick, which is great considering the matte finish. It's mostly opaque in one swipe, but I'm not a one swipe kind of gal, so I build it up proper. Apply, blot, apply, blot, apply. That's how I do for every lipstick I wear, no matter the formula, as I find this really helps to prolong the wear of the lip color. With that technique, this particular lipstick wears for hours without fading, only needing minimal touchups between meals. Back to the color. This is a GORGEOUS deep berry. It's got tons of purple undertones in it, which really make it a multifaceted shade that pulls differently in every light. Under a tungsten bulb, it's a deep wine red. In natural light, it's a dark, almost magenta berry with gorgeously cool undertones that make my teeth look hella white. It's simply stunning. How did I let this one fall through the cracks before?! The packaging of the Color Statement line is gorgeous - simple gold with a true-to-color swatch at the bottom. The number/name is printed on the bottom as well, rather than on a sticker that can come off and leave a gross, sticky wad behind. These lipsticks are consistently $4.50 - $6.00 where I live, depending on the store. CVS tends to charge a little more, but they usually have some kind of BOGO deal, and their selection is much better than Walgreens or KMart. I must own 20 different Color Statement lipsticks, including the new Moisture Matte range, and I have to say, these are hands-down my favorite lipsticks on Earth right now.

About reviewer (513 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

5 years ago

The hype in real! On my c4 with yellow undertone skin and pigmented lips, it goes on a matte, medium to dark berry color.... I may not need mac Rebel after all! (well, maybe lol). Matches great with Jordana Cabarnet lipliner

About reviewer (1297 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

from

5 years ago

I picked this lipstick up today so I haven't really worn it around too much. Just about 3 hours and its lasting, though. So I've really really reallyyy wanted Mac Rebel. But it's kinda pricey ($16 vs $5.....I'm going with $5) so I looked up dupes & I saw this. Overall, in the tube and on your lips, the color is beautiful. Pretty much exactly the color I wanted. I took off a lippie for two reasons. 1- The scent to me is HORRIBLE. Like those cheap little lipsticks you played around with when you were younger. Overly fruity/sweet and artificial and just gross. Makes me feel sick when applying. But I'll deal with it, because as soon as I'm done applying, the scent is gone. But any other people who commented about the smell loved it. Maybe its just me. 2- It applied super patchy. Which I guess I should have known since its matte. I take care of my lips so I was pretty shocked about how ugly it applied. So I wiped it off, grabbed some sugar, exfoliated my lips (which I do often anyway) and put on some chapstick (which I did before the first try as well) ....Sooooo try two: A lot better. Guess my lips were overdue for a scrub. Still a little streaky, but I think its just because I was looking for it. If anyone else noticed they'd have to be looking pretty hard. Smoothing it out with your finger helps a lot. So all in all I love the color. Looks good with my fair skin and red hair. Would buyagain. Has a couple flaws but they are bearable/fixable

About reviewer (2 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair

HairRed

EyesGreen

5 years ago

Milani! You have knocked it out of the park with this lip shade. It's a gorgeous matte dark berry color if applying 2-3 coats, but if you apply light enough it gives you a nice lip stain look. For around 5 dollars you get an almost exact dupe for Mac's highly sought after Rebel. Although it is a matte lipstick, don't automatically assume that it means the lipstick will be drying because its definitely not! Even when eating an drinking you don't really need to reapply. Everytime time i go to the drugstore the milani lipsticks section is always empty and now i understand why. The packaging is slick and gorgeous, everyone should try this color especially because its fall and it would flatter many different skin colors.

About reviewer (53 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

6 years ago

This Liptsitck is so worth it ! I pair with the lipliner from Mac "vino" and its perfect, I purchased this instead of Rebel its about the same color in my opinion. Perfect for Fall or winter and night time ocassions :)

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

6 years ago

I love this lipstick. It is very flattering for my skintone. Good price, beautiful packaging. I think that is a dupe for the lipstick Rebel by MAC. I recommend it and i will buy it again.

About reviewer (91 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

2.0

6 years ago

Humn... I have very mixed feelings about this Sangria... I purchased this because it is touted as an exact dupe of MAC's Rebel. I have to say, it is not. While the color is very similar, the formulation is way different. Usually Milani lipsticks are very smooth and creamy but Sangria is really matte - I like Matte lippies a lot BUT this specific formulation goes on really patchy and uneven. I also don't like the feel of it - it really bothers me. While its a beautiful color, the cons outweigh the pros. I am gonna toss this and stick with Rebel.

About reviewer (497 reviews)

Age36-43