L'Oreal Paris Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Liquid Silk Lotion for Face SPF 30

No Image

on 7/10/2014 1:53:00 PM

I would have given this a five, but it is way too runny, however once you get it on, very nice texture, primer-like, got it in Marshall's for $4.99, they had a lot of this entire line, so I'm guessing they're either changing the packaging or re-formulating it.

on 5/21/2014 2:41:00 AM

I think it is as good the liquid sunscreen from Neutrogena. It is slightly cheaper than the one from Neutrogena. It does not irritate the skin or cause any breakout. It goes on nicely and is not too heavy or greasy. It does not irritate my eyes even if I put it near my eyes, which is quite unexpected. If the formula remains the same, despite the change in the name of the product, it is likely that I will repurchase it.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I like this. Mainly because (drumroll) it doesn't break me out! Finally, a sunscreen that works with my skin. It also is a nice mattifier (due to the silica content I think). I can remove it well with my everyday cleanser (no double cleanse necessary for me). It's easily available via local stores, and it doesn't turn white on my face, turn into a grease slick, or cause clogs. Will re-purchase, I have been wearing it all summer.

on 6/12/2013 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

the reviewer below says it all (great review btw!). it does feel very silicone-y, is SUPER liquid-y. i have tried to dot it on my face and it just drips all over the place so i squirt it into my hand, pat into 2 hands and apply all over. leaves a matte finish (like a primer) at first but then i get that nasty, oily collection around the sides of my nose/nostrils. so i have to wipe it off, no bueno, & i can just feel the oil slick combo! so nasty. i think its very good that its light but i dont think its fabulous so i am not sure if i would repurchase. its very cheap, $9.99 and i got 20% off with an ulta coupon so the price is awesome for the amount. i purchased the spf 30 and went to the fair yesterday, for 5 hours. my face did not burn at all so that was great. i dont see any new breakouts so thats awesome too since i have very oily, acne prone skin. doesnt leave a white cast.

on 5/3/2013 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is a "new" sunscreen that L'Oreal has introduced for the Sublime Sun line. I saw it at Dollar General for $7.50 (cheap!) and tried it because that. I say new in quotes because it's not really new at all - it's nearly identical to the SPF 50 version they released last year. It has the same packaging, but with slightly different design, it contains the same ingredients, though slightly rearranged, and a bit less sun protection.

When using the BASF Sunscreen Simulator at the default 2.0 setting, the SPF 50 ones gets a PPD of 10.4, PA+++, Boots UVA 3 Star, and UVA rating for some other tests as well (it actually says FAIL for these areas, but the only reason is the UVA-PF/SPF is 0.33 when it should be 0.34, but that is close enough). This new SPF 30 one gets a PPD of 9.4, and the rest of the ratings stay the same. As I already did a review on the SPF 50 one, this will most be a recap of that.

PROS: Lightweight, no color or fragrance, good under makeup. Packaging prevents waste (but no way to see how much is left when placed near a lightbulb).

CONS: Definition of liquid - extremely fluid. Sometimes randomly doesn't absorb and leaves me a bit shiny - easily fixed with quick blotting of napkin or waiting longer (this is probably my own skin's doing or fact I use CeraVe PM during the day as well). Need to really shake before use.

OTHER 1: I can feel it on my face. It is a lighter, less "heavy"/dense silicone feel, but you can feel it. It looks and feels like primer, and has similar ingredients (like high amount of homosalate).

OTHER 2: High amount of alcohol denat. The formula is meant to evaporate, that way it has less of a heavy feeling, and when it evaporates, the layer of product that stays behind shrinks/condenses (reminds me of sucking air out of a space bag). Water, cyclopentasiloxane, and alcohol denat all evaporate, and they are high in the ingredient list. However there are two camps of thought about alcohol denat. Paulas Choice says that alcohol denat is drying, causes free radical damage, and causes the evaporation of beneficial skin ingredients. Basically it's ages the skin faster and shouldn't be used. FutureDerm however, says that although alcohol denat is drying, the drying effect alone is nothing special or cause for concern - dry skin is prone to aging, but dryness alone does not CAUSE aging. Therefore, the drying effect of alcohol denat its solved by simply moisturizing and it's own rapid evaporation (when it evaporates, it's no longer sitting on your skin affecting it). They also say that in a formulation with enough moisturizers, it acts as a degreaser, not drying your skin out, but the product enough so it's more pleasing texture. This adds to it's already extremely versatile uses: penetration enhancer, preservative, anti-bacterial, anti-microbal, and solvent. I agree with both camps. It is drying, however not too much. I'm not sure if it can evaporate other alcohols when it attaches to them, but my skin doesn't look or feel worse after using it for a while.

OVERALL: I'd buy it again, the price is pretty good and you get 1.7oz! I can live with SPF 30 since I'm never outdoors or in the sun for long periods of time. Really, it's identical to the SPF 50 one, so if you want to see more reviews, start there!