Cover Girl Flamed Out Max Volume

3.1

on 1/13/2016 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

really surprised at how much i liked this!!

i have only been using mascara with the little nubbly rubber wands for years now. this is the first time in ages i've gone back to the old school bristle type wand. HOWEVER... the shape of this one is completely unique and really does work. it helps fan your lashes out to either side, and really works to separate them.

this formula builds very easily and sticks to lashes well, much better than the big orange tube CoverGirl i had been using for several years before. much better volume with this one. the only thing that's not quite as good is staying power. the orange tube CG would literally last two days if i didn't take it off. this one is always a bit smudged the next morning if i leave it on. lasts throughout the day, though, which is good enough for me!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I tried it in brown and thats all it does is color your lashes brown. No volume. No length. No nothing. Just brown mascara in an annoying designed tube..

To Read all 135 Reviews, Login or Join

I wasn't really a fan of this one. It gave my super fine lashes a decent amount of volume and length. However, the problem was that it flakes/smudges like crazy. I always had raccoon eyes by the end of the day. It wasn't so bad that I immediately gave up on it but I wouldn't buy it again.

I'll start out by saying I dslike ALL Cover Girl cosmetics. Anyone in high school in 1980 could probably surely relate.

I knew when I bought this mascara that I'd probably regret, and of course, I did. I must say I am kind of shocked Cover Girl hasn't stepped up their game.

So why did I bother knowing all of this?? I was looking for a BROWN colored mascara. Not blackish brown, not brownish black, but a true brown. So, I schlepped over to my local Walmart and headed directly to the L'Oreal isle, as I think they make the best mascaras. Yes they have their duds, but also some winners (Voluminous). Anyhoo.....woudn't you know, not one of the gazzilion mascaras they have came in brown. Hmmm.....m'kay. So....since I was pretty impressed with Rimmel's Wow, I checked out what other mascaras in that brand - again, zilch in brown. I went to every brand, last of course the Cover Girl aisle, which I just generally steer clear of, as well as Maybelline. But wouldn't you know - the ONLY brand - Cover Girl - had a true brown mascara. Just my luck. And ONLY in this 'flamed out' version.

I tried this 2 times, and all I can say is...UGH. I have naturally long lashes, and it did indeed make them appear EXTREMELY long, but stuck them together to give that spider legs look I sooooo detest. No volume. In fact I lost volume due to it sticking my lashes together and making them look sparse.

I wanted to try a brown mascara since I heard of the 'minking' technique and wanted to try it out. This mascara is going back. I won't even keep it for everyday wear at the office - its just not even appropriate for that, as I thought I looked kind of clownish.

The price: $5 plus change, so cheap, but not worth the horrible look
packaging: just screams 'TACKY', but I generally don't discount for the looks of packaging - so long as the product meets my satisfaction.

The only good thing I will say is that it washed off fairly easily with my coconut oil soap.

This most definitely is THE WORST mascara I have ever used.

on 8/12/2015 6:44:00 PM

I got this mascara as a birthday gift and just opened it. The formula is already dried out, which makes no sense since it was perfectly sealed until today. I tried it out and it still somewhat works, but is barely any better than the mascara I'm currently using.

I have small eyes, so the brush is too big for my lashes. The shape is like an hourglass, but that only makes it more difficult for me to reach all my lashes.

It's a standard product, but I'm only keeping it since it was a gift.

EDIT: The formula was already dried when I opened it, and now I can't even pretend it works anymore. I threw it out. Reduced from three to one lippies.

on 7/27/2015 12:05:00 PM

This is the only waterproof mascara I have ever tried that completely destroyed my curl, not to mention the brush makes it impossible to get the bottom lashes. Needles to say it went straight to the trash.

on 6/24/2015 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm a mascara junkie and this one just sucked!!!!

It goes on nicely BUT gave me absolutely no volume,no fullness....just nothing. It looked like I had my natural lashes tinted...this one I returned to Walgreens within 2days of buying it.

loved it. gives you nice volume and length. like how it flames out your lashes and makes them look beautiful

I own about 20+ mascaras and this would have to be one of the worser ones. It's not a horrible mascara or anything but I found it didn't do much. It's great in terms of not clumping, but it didn't add any length whatsoever to my lashes and I can't say it did a lot when it came to volume either. I'll just use it as a base mascara to separate and give a nice first coat to my lashes. I will add though, it's a good mascara to use if you just like really natural looking eyelashes for an everyday look or for around the house.

on 6/1/2015 11:55:00 PM

I have been on the hunt for THE perfect mascara for a long time. I have tried every kind ever recommended to me, including high end brands. This mascara is by far the best mascara I have ever used. It gives me more volume than any other mascara out there. I am on my third tube and I don't plan on buying any other brand because I am finally satisfied.