Cover Girl Lipslicks Smoochies lip balm

3.7

on 2/8/2017 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Picked this up in the color Smooch a while back, and I thought it'd be a nice tinted lip balm to use when I just wanted a bit of color. The color was nice, I think I'd have preferred a different shade, but what killed me was the smell and consistency.
I found the smell to be cheap and perfume-y, much like the typical lip smackers that I'd use as a kid. It threw me off because I couldn't smell or taste anything else while it was on my lips. It was too chemical and overwhelming for me to wear for more than 20 or so minutes before I had to wipe it off.
The consistency was really gritty and lumpy, which I wasn't expecting, I thought it was just the top of the stick so I rubbed some off on the back of my hand and tried again. Same thing. I assume it was the glitter in it that was to blame, either way I couldn't continue to use it. It looked thick and almost like paint on my lips when I applied it like my normal lip balm, and smeary if I applied it lightly. It doesn't seem like the other colors had this problem, at least not the extent that I had it.

Skin: Normal, Other, Neutral

I bought this on clearance so the price was right, and I'd never used a tinted lip balm before.

I grabbed "#double dare" because I wanted an orange lipstick--but it basically shows up pink on me. I'm not too bothered because it's still a flattering color. Initially I was disappointed at how sheer it is, but after a few weeks I've decided I will never buy another traditional lipstick again. Yes, of course this don't last all day, but it is so unfussy to reapply! And with my very dry lips, I could never use a long-wear lip color anyway without intense regret the next day.

Despite being billed as a balm, it's not as moisturizing as a regular chapstick, so I alternate between this and a regular chapstick all day.

One point off the packaging because the tube isn't long enough to covert the product, so taking the cap on and off requires care not to clip the product.

I won't be buying again because it contains lanolin.

on 6/7/2016 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking for a fun pick me up while at Walmart and ran across these. Years ago I loved lipslicks "hint of bronze" but hated the thin formula that I would constantly reapply. These are so much better now! The formula is much thicker and stays on much longer. I'm thrilled and will try more colors. They do have that waxy crayon smell but I can live with that and these were always so fun. Swiping this on made me feel 17 again and that alone was worth the purchase. A big yay from me!! :)
*edit* I went today and bought a couple more of these for this product, hands down, is the best lip balm I've ever used. I've even been wearing it to bed and I wake up to soft lips with the color as vibrant as when I went to bed. A balm with lots of color that really moisturizes and stays on...?! I didn't know such a thing existed!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have this in the somewhat warm pretty shade,Double Dare.I really like this,it stays on for quite a few hours without eating of course like most lip products,but it's not drying like the Revlon Kissable Balm Stains are. It's actually somewhat moisturizing on.I really wish they hadn't discontinued the warm pretty red shade,Tweet Me.

on 6/2/2016 9:31:00 PM

This one, I love. I do have a few suggestions, though.

I got the color "Smooch" or, 265. I love the way it smells, the way it tastes, the way it looks.

The only thing I dislike (besides it looking like it's made for a 7 year old) is that when you glide it on your lips, you can feel the little bumps of shine. The only way I can describe this as, is the way it feels when you exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub. Imagine a lip scrub put into lipstick form, and that's how this feels.

I HATE this feeling. To me, the word 'balm' implies smooth, creamy texture. Maybe I'm wrong.

The color is ok, and it stays for about 3 hours or so while drinking coffee, chewing gum, etc.

Overall, I would NOT buy another one, but I will use the rest of the one I have now.

2/5 for me.

I have this in shade 215. I wasn't sure what to expect from this lip slick but I kinda love it. It is the perfect in between for someone who doesn't love lipstick or gloss. It has the consistency of a lip balm or chap stick so isn't drying like most lipsticks. But it lasts longer then lip gloss. The color I chose looks like a deep mauve but comes off much lighter. I really like this and will definitely try more colors in the future!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Such a fun little pick me up! The bright packaging along with the Smoochies name are just so cheerful. It's like a buttery smooth lip balm/lipstick mix. They are hydrating and wear well.

on 7/21/2015 11:36:00 PM

This review is for 220 "#text me" (a cool red).

I bought this because it was on clearance for pretty cheap and I've been searching for a non-expensive cool dark red lip balm that doesn't have sunscreen (very allergic to it) and isn't loaded with sparkly junk. Well, turns out it does have quiet a bit of fine glitter particles - they just weren't visible until after the first time I used the balm. The glitter sparkles as pink, red, and violet. Sort of iridescent in the tube, but not on my lips due to the glitter mostly depositing into every crack. Fortunately it's not visible until I'm a couple inches from the mirror, so I don't think anybody will notice.

With one swipe, the color is translucent and more of a flushed nude/pink than red. Definitely not dark. Multiple swipes lead to a color that's similar to the plastic tube, though more fuchsia than dark red.

Even with all the glitter, I don't find the texture to be gritty at all. It's not sticky or waxy either. Also not slimy/greasy. I think the texture may be the only thing CoverGirl got right.

The flavor/smell is really bad. Like old lady lipstick bad. It's the smell that made me avoid trying lipstick for years because I thought all lipstick tasted like the stuff my mom would smear across my lips right before family pictures. So yeah... I find I hold my breath while putting it on and avoid getting my tongue anywhere near the front of my mouth. This is the main reason why I have to give it a low rating. If they fixed the flavor, I'd give it four lippies and would buy other colors.

This is the only tinted lip balm I've ever used that gets on my teeth. I don't even have that problem with lipstick! Funny thing though... I remember my dad's ex-girlfriend seemed to always have lipstick on her teeth, and she used CoverGirl lipstick. So maybe it's just something that happens with their lip products? I don't know.

I rated the packaging as only three lippies because the tube doesn't protect the first several millimeters of product from getting mashed into the side of the cap or clipped when taking the cap off/putting it back on. Definitely need to be careful until it can finally be twisted below the rim of the tube.

TL;DR:
- has a ton of glitter
- flavor/smell of old lady lipstick
- texture is okay, nothing wrong with it
- one coat is sheer flushed tint, more coats leads to a somewhat fuchsia version of tube color
- transfers easily
- packaging needs a slight improvement

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

It's good, staying powre is just better than ok, and just very sheer I guess (not much colour, just a coloured lip balm), I have it in "text me" good shade, plummey-rosey colour yes indeed, I like the artsey packaging

on 6/19/2015 1:49:00 AM

I loved lipslicks because it was moisturizing and not sticky. The new one is drying and sticky. Please vote to bring back the old one on the covergirl website.

Popular Lip Glosses