Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil
Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing OilPure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

4.1

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquicaprylate, Water, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Fragrance (Natural)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Let me tell you... I have not logged into makeupalley in over 5 years but I had to to leave this review.

I like many of you had seen positive review after positive review EVERYWHERE. I just tried this on my face for the first time. For reference I had the following products on my face

1- too faced better than sex mascara, layered
2- IT cosmetics illumination powder foundation
3- Laura Mercier Blush
4- Dior lipbalm

I tried 3 pumps to start thinking it would magical and work with just 3. Nope. Added in 3 more for a total of 6 pumps. (The recommended is 3-5). It hardly melted anything and I rubbed it in for the suggested 10 seconds and more. I thought to myself "okay, maybe wen u add the water it'll get milky and beautifully silky and everything will just lift off like a dream") ... absolutely NOT. It took off 15% of my NON waterproof mascarra and 80% of my basic powder which had been on my face for 10 hours and was wearing down anyways.

SO disappointed in this product. I expected so much. Its a hard NO for me. This goes back to sephora. Worst oil cleanser I've EVER used and I've tried MAC, Boscia, Shu Umera.

Cannot believe the price tag, cannot believe how crappy this was.

So aweful.

I remember this coming out ages ago and being really impressed with the youtube demo video. This was back when makeup removing oils hadn't hit the EU market yet and therefore none of them were really available here.
I actually bought this in Sephora during a visit to NYC, and since I had already tried tons of make-up oils and now knew which ones I love (DHC is a brilliant oil), I didn't have incredibly high hopes for this one.
But it really surprised me. Cleans off make-up incredibly well, no pulling on the skin to take it off, smells lovely, and my skin looks much better the next day. The packaging is a bit annoying as I have no idea how much oil I have left, but it IS airtight therefore hygienic. It's a pretty perfect product.
Buyers beware, it is quite expensive. I highly recommend waiting for a sale so that you can see if you like it for your own skin. I would absolutely buy this again. It's less annoying to transport than my emma hardie balm and works just as well.

on 1/20/2018 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I wanted to love it. I don’t hate it. I’m a fan of oil cleansers. I have oily/combo sensitive skin and oil cleansers have been AMAZING! That said, the Tatcha cleanser is just ok. It didn’t break me out. I love the packaging and the hype made me want to try it. Between this and L’occitane’s Shea Oil Cleanser, I prefer L’occitane. Less drying, and removes all of my waterproof mascaras better. The product doesn’t equal the price so I won’t be repurchasing.

on 12/27/2017 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love!! The best oil. Doesn’t burn, gets all eye makeup off easily and quickly. A little watery but not sticky which is nice. I’ve tried Burt’s Bees, Josie Moran, Lancôme, Boscia and Clinique. The Clinique pot is better for travel though.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Unfortunately my skin didn’t like this cleanser. I love the idea of a makeup “melter” and the mini is perfect for travel but every time I use this I break out, even if I use a normal cleanser after. Another drawback is that I noticed I had to use 7-10 drops at least to fully take off my makeup which is a lot for a very expensive product.

on 12/6/2017 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a wonderful oil based cleanser! I'm glad it comes in a travel size for those not wanting to splurge for the full. Just wait for a sale. I had yet to find any cleanser (drugstore or high end) that really wowed me to repurchase over the year. As for the oil based cleansers, I've tried the shu uemura one which was fine but expensive, and hard to use at the sink, the CR one which is a balm, clinique's take the day off balm, among others. They all made my vision blurry and felt it was hard to use unless in the shower. I thought all cleansers that cleansed would either 1. do nothing or 2. strip oil off my face and make it tight. My current steady face wash is cerave's hydrating cleanser which is just ok.. doesn't break me out but doesn't strip oil off my face. This Tatcha cleanser is awesome for removing makeup at the end of the day, or I sometimes just enjoy using it to wash my face in the morning to get that soft supple feeling to my face that I don't get with the Cerave. This is awesome! I just wish it were cheaper!

on 11/27/2017 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This has the same density as the Clinique cleansing oil but it does not remove all of my eye makeup so would not get this again. I went with a sample size from the VIB sale so I'm not out a lot of coin but I will just be sticking with the Clinique which does remove my eyemakeup. From these reviews I expected the best, instead it was just mediocre.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a fan of cleansing oils because they're a wonderful way to get off all my makeup without having to over-manipulate, scrub or be harsh with my skin. I like the products I've tried from Tatcha because in spite of my better judgment, I get carried away by what is basically hype and pseudo-science in their product promotion. I treated myself to this cleansing oil at the start of Sephora's VIB sale so it was 20% off but still not exactly "budget". I really do like this oil but I don't find it any more effective than the cleansing oil from MAC. The one big advantage One Step Camellia Oil has is just that - it is "one step" and so I don't have to follow with another cleanser as I would have to with MAC (MAC's instructions make it clear that a followup cleansing is necessary and I think that's why quite a few people seem to have problems with breakouts....they're not following the instructions). I do appreciate not having to do a 2nd cleansing with this one and that's why I'll probably continue to purchase it. Two pumps gets everything off my face, including eye makeup, making this both effective and convenient. Nice packaging too! I prefer it to Shu Uemura's cleansing oil which is a nice product that also doesn't require a second cleansing product but I just prefer the Tatcha one which, I think, is also a bit less expensive (but I could be wrong).

Update: while it's not how the product is meant to be used, I've started using this in a new and successful (for me) way, in addition to how the instructions say to use this. If I'm going to be using a scrub type exfoliator, like the Umbrian Clay one from Fresh, I will slather on a bit of this before using the product, which can be drying. This oil gives a bit of a "cushion" against the drying effect of the scrub so that once I rinse, my face is soft and smooth with any dead winter-dry skin polished away but my face doesn't feel stripped or overly dried out. It's much like the Erno Laszlo method, with pHelityl Oil before daily cleansing and that has always worked for me so I think I might be onto something here!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Other

Effective makeup remover - truly one-step, gentle yet thorough!

Takes off all my foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick, lipliner and mascara (however, I do not wear very heavy makeup, this is all applied with a moderate hand, so can't comment if someone applied it more heavily). 2 squirts on each side, a bit of a gentle massage all over the face up to the hairline, a quick rinse with warm water takes everything off, and then there is nothing left to detect if a toner pad is wiped over the face afterward.

Nevertheless, I adhere to the double cleanse method because it seems to work well for me - cleansing oil first to remove oil based cosmetics, and then a gentle foaming wash to remove any possible residue. This double cleanse seems to be the secret of the Korean and Japanese ladies, with their porcelain complexions, and I adopted the double cleanse with very good results for my acne- and rosacea-prone skin a few years ago. So, just to be sure, I do a quick wash after using the camellia oil, with an Avene cleanser for sensitive skin, because I am prone to both break outs and skin rashes at the drop of a hat.
Nevertheless, I appear to tolerate mineral water-based cleansers (Avene) and seaweed based-cleansers and moisturizers (La Mer, Tatcha). Something about us being creatures of the springs and seas

BTW I don't pick up the lovely fragrance some people have commented on.
It does not sting my eyes (very important), and it is not too runny (unlike some other cleansing oils, which run right through your fingers, making it hard to apply to your face).
BOTTOM LINE: effective and pleasant to use, but pricey.

Because of the prohibitive cost, personally I would reserve this for special evenings when I come home late after work or a party, and feel a bit too tired or lazy to perform the Asian double face wash I otherwise would do.
But I got a nice little mini tester off eBay (also available at Sephora) which lasted for a number of weeks 4-6+, so I thought the price was fair for the amount I got. Can't comment on the regular size container, which looks pretty pricey to me.

Is it a game changer? I'm on the fence about this one - there's lots of claims out there for beauty products based on special, unique formulas : French mineral water, Hungarian spa water,special muds, Japanese and Korean secrets, not to mention the large American cosmetic companies...hmm they can't all be universally right - so try out minis of various companies and see which work for your face and your budget. Try a split face test, comparing the treatment side vs the other over the course of about 4-6 weeks.... That should give you the answers you need; that and the thickness of your wallet!

In general, each nationality encourages thorough but gentle daily cleansing, makeup removal WITHOUT FAIL EVERY NIGHT, keeping your face out of the sun (or using a good sunscreen) along with good hydration, a healthy diet and exercise, and a positive frame of mind in which you embrace your individuality and accentuate your positives. There's nothing wrong with all this, it's all very sensible, and you don't have to be a millionaire or believe in marketing hype to put this into practice.

This cleansing oil is a must have if you're willing to spend a little bit on your cleansing routine. It's so beautiful & light, be sure to follow the directions. I apply 2-4 pumps to my face before getting in the shower, rub in circular motions & add a tiny bit of water to remove my mascara. Then I use a hot cloth or towel & rinse. A wonderful product to remove make up without stripping your skin