Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil
Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing OilPure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

4.1

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquicaprylate, Water, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Fragrance (Natural)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a fan of cleansing oils because they're a wonderful way to get off all my makeup without having to over-manipulate, scrub or be harsh with my skin. I like the products I've tried from Tatcha because in spite of my better judgment, I get carried away by what is basically hype and pseudo-science in their product promotion. I treated myself to this cleansing oil at the start of Sephora's VIB sale so it was 20% off but still not exactly "budget". I really do like this oil but I don't find it any more effective than the cleansing oil from MAC. The one big advantage One Step Camellia Oil has is just that - it is "one step" and so I don't have to follow with another cleanser as I would have to with MAC (MAC's instructions make it clear that a followup cleansing is necessary and I think that's why quite a few people seem to have problems with breakouts....they're not following the instructions). I do appreciate not having to do a 2nd cleansing with this one and that's why I'll probably continue to purchase it. Two pumps gets everything off my face, including eye makeup, making this both effective and convenient. Nice packaging too! I prefer it to Shu Uemura's cleansing oil which is a nice product that also doesn't require a second cleansing product but I just prefer the Tatcha one which, I think, is also a bit less expensive (but I could be wrong).

This cleansing oil is a must have if you're willing to spend a little bit on your cleansing routine. It's so beautiful & light, be sure to follow the directions. I apply 2-4 pumps to my face before getting in the shower, rub in circular motions & add a tiny bit of water to remove my mascara. Then I use a hot cloth or towel & rinse. A wonderful product to remove make up without stripping your skin

on 7/17/2017 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I felt like this product didn't do much. It definitely didn't take off my waterproof mascara. I typically don't remove my make-up with an oil cleanser anyway, but I gave it a try since it came in the starter kit. For the price, it's totally NOT worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Effective makeup remover - truly one-step, gentle yet thorough!

Takes off all my foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick, lipliner and mascara (however, I do not wear very heavy makeup, this is all applied with a moderate hand, so can't comment if someone applied it more heavily). 2 squirts on each side, a bit of a gentle massage, and there is nothing left to detect if a toner pad is wiped over the face afterward.

Nevertheless, I adhere to the double cleanse method because it seems to work well for me - cleansing oil first to remove oil based cosmetics, and then a gentle foaming wash to remove any possible residue. This double cleanse seems to be the secret of the Korean and Japanese ladies, with their porcelain complexions, and I adopted it with very good results a few years ago. So, just to be sure, I do a quick wash after using the camellia oil, with an Avene cleanser for sensitive skin, because I am prone to both break outs and skin rashes at the drop of a hat.

BTW I don't pick up the lovely fragrance some people have commented on.
It does not sting my eyes (very important), and it is not too runny (unlike some other cleansing oils, which run right through your fingers, making it hard to apply to your face).
BOTTOM LINE: effective and pleasant to use, but pricey.

Because of the prohibitive cost, personally I would reserve this for special evenings when I come home late after work or a party, and feel a bit too tired or lazy to perform the Asian double face wash I otherwise would do.
But I got a nice little mini tester off eBay (also available at Sephora) which lasted for a number of weeks 4-6+, so I thought the price was fair for the amount I got. Can't comment on the regular size container, which looks pretty pricey to me.

Is it a game changer? I'm on the fence about this one - there's lots of claims out there for beauty products based on special, unique formulas : French mineral water, Hungarian spa water,special muds, Japanese and Korean secrets, not to mention the large American cosmetic companies...hmm they can't all be universally right - so try out minis of various companies and see which work for your face and your budget. Try a split face test, comparing the treatment side vs the other over the course of about 4-6 weeks.... That should give you the answers you need; that and the thickness of your wallet!

In general, each nationality encourages thorough but gentle daily cleansing, makeup removal WITHOUT FAIL EVERY NIGHT, keeping your face out of the sun (or using a good sunscreen) along with good hydration, a healthy diet and exercise, and a positive frame of mind in which you embrace your individuality and accentuate your positives. There's nothing wrong with all this, it's all very sensible, and you don't have to be a millionaire or believe in marketing hype to put this into practice.

on 9/14/2017 10:18:00 PM

This is one of the most extra items I have ever gotten, but it does wonders for the skin. I use the double-cleansing method, so after I wipe off my makeup with a cleansing wipe and eye makeup remover, I use this oil. The scent is light and pleasant, so it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't touch it if you hate scents! I massage it into my skin and let it emulsify. It gets rid of all of that gunk and makeup like you wouldn't believe and is a pleasure to use. This oil isn't heavy and gets the job done and has kept my skin looking hydrated, glowing, and healthy. Sadly, I can't seem to justify the price. $48 for 5.1 oz is just a ridiculous amount of money. Tatcha is a wonderful brand, but when you have other products that work just as well...it just isn't practical to spend that much on an oil that you will wash away. I've tried the Banila cleasing balm, Lancome Oil, and Rec:ipe green tea oil. I have to say that the cheaper, Korean brands work just as well at a fraction of the cost. If you're into luxury products and have money to spend, then this oil will be a real treat. If you are looking for a cleaning oil in general, try the Korean brands. They offer you more bang for your buck.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

After loving Tatcha's Luminous Deep Hydration Lifting Mask, I checked out their One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil. In comparison to the other cleansing oils that I've tried, this one wasn't too heavily fragranced and didn't leave a greasy film on my skin. I really love starting my day with it.

When I wake up in the morning, I begin with Tatcha's polished gentle rice enzyme powder followed by their cleansing oil. Tatcha recommends using the cleansing oil first but sometimes my skin gets really dry because of the Retin-A that I use the night before. Sometimes I will even put in a drop or two of Tatcha's Gold Camellia Beauty oil in with the cleanser. This doesn't break me out with cysts or cause blackheads. My skin is left feeling soft and hydrated (which is really important given the other acne/anti-aging products that I use).

In the evening, I use Banila's Clean It Zero cleanser followed by Neogen's Green Tea Real Fresh Foam cleanser. I find that this combo works better in removing makeup and sunscreen.

Cleansing oils that I've tried:

- Cerave Renewing SA Cleanser
- Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

on 5/16/2017 12:31:00 AM

I never thought I'd spend $48 on a cleanser...but I did and it's the best. I got a sample in a beauty box and was instantly hooked. I have very dry, sensitive skin and this oil has changed my skin. It's sooooo hydrating and takes off all my makeup. I usually hate washing my face at night but I look forward to it now because my skin is so soft after. Totally worth the expense.

on 5/16/2017 1:19:00 AM

Absolutely the best cleansing oil out there. It makes my skin soft, clear and never oily or dry. It smells lovely and cleans without stripping. Definitely a keeper.

on 4/12/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin type: Combination Oily, some fine lines and enlarged pores

Been using multiple Tatcha products, including the One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil, for years now. It is the ONLY product that has ever gotten me to consistently take off my makeup at night before I go to bed due to the fact that it's so easy and luxurious to use. Normally I would never spend this kind of money on a facial cleanser, but I was given it as a discard from my mom (along with those other products I mentioned) and hooked from the very beginning.

The cleaner is so simple and fast to use, and it takes off everything. Admittedly, I wear waterproof mascara and eyeliner and do keep on hand an inexpensive eye makeup remover when I need to supplement, but that's all I need above and beyond the oil.

I use this at night and use the Classic Rice Enzyme Powder in the morning. I don't use them back-to-back as the company suggests. Yes, this is to extend the product life, but also I've found that that's not necessary, at least not for me, at this stage in my life. After both I moisturize and that's it before going to bed at night or starting my makeup routine in the a.m.!

Last but not least, all of Tatcha's packaging is to die for. I keep the little boxes to hold other products/things and I know other people repurpose them too.

I got a sample of this in a PLAY! box.
It really works and removes my makeup and smells good but, it broke me out badly after finally getting my pregnancy acne under control.
Tossing this! If you're prone to break outs, I cannot recommend!