Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil
Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing OilPure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

4.1

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquicaprylate, Water, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Fragrance (Natural)

on 4/1/2018 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My HG cleansing oil. I've tried over a dozen and then I realized I kept comparing every one I tried to Tatcha's. It's the perfect first step of a double cleanse routine for me - two pumps massaged over my face loosens all of my makeup so the second cleanse erases every last trace. Mild, effective, non-irritating, and doesn't cloud my vision like some of these oils can. Leaves my skin soft and clean and never causes me to break out. I love this one so much that I ordered both the mini size for travel and the giant 10 oz. size when it became available. My only change with this product would be the bottle: it's pretty but I wish it had a narrow vertical clear window on the back so I could see when I was running low on product. I will repurchase for as long as I continue to oil cleanse!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Overall, this cleansing oil does a good job gently removing makeup and emulsifies perfectly; however I think for the price point it's just okay. Sometimes it would leave behind traces of mascara for me. I liked that this formula is thinner than most other oils I've used and could be rubbed into the skin easier. However, when I started looking at the ingredients I was really disappointed to see that this oil is pretty basic and you're mostly paying for gorgeous packaging. Cetyl Ethylhexanoate and Rice bran oil are the two main ingredients and are pretty cheap - they work well, but they aren't worth this luxury price. Camellia oil is pricier, but it's halfway down the ingredients list so I'm not sure how much is in the final product and it's getting rinsed down the drain away. It was nice to try, but for how expensive it is, I'd rather spend my money on a serum with more effective active ingredients since good, affordable oil cleansers aren't particularly hard to find.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Let me tell you... I have not logged into makeupalley in over 5 years but I had to to leave this review.

I like many of you had seen positive review after positive review EVERYWHERE. I just tried this on my face for the first time. For reference I had the following products on my face

1- too faced better than sex mascara, layered
2- IT cosmetics illumination powder foundation
3- Laura Mercier Blush
4- Dior lipbalm

I tried 3 pumps to start thinking it would magical and work with just 3. Nope. Added in 3 more for a total of 6 pumps. (The recommended is 3-5). It hardly melted anything and I rubbed it in for the suggested 10 seconds and more. I thought to myself "okay, maybe wen u add the water it'll get milky and beautifully silky and everything will just lift off like a dream") ... absolutely NOT. It took off 15% of my NON waterproof mascarra and 80% of my basic powder which had been on my face for 10 hours and was wearing down anyways.

SO disappointed in this product. I expected so much. Its a hard NO for me. This goes back to sephora. Worst oil cleanser I've EVER used and I've tried MAC, Boscia, Shu Umera.

Cannot believe the price tag, cannot believe how crappy this was.

So aweful.

I remember this coming out ages ago and being really impressed with the youtube demo video. This was back when makeup removing oils hadn't hit the EU market yet and therefore none of them were really available here.
I actually bought this in Sephora during a visit to NYC, and since I had already tried tons of make-up oils and now knew which ones I love (DHC is a brilliant oil), I didn't have incredibly high hopes for this one.
But it really surprised me. Cleans off make-up incredibly well, no pulling on the skin to take it off, smells lovely, and my skin looks much better the next day. The packaging is a bit annoying as I have no idea how much oil I have left, but it IS airtight therefore hygienic. It's a pretty perfect product.
Buyers beware, it is quite expensive. I highly recommend waiting for a sale so that you can see if you like it for your own skin. I would absolutely buy this again. It's less annoying to transport than my emma hardie balm and works just as well.

on 1/20/2018 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I wanted to love it. I don’t hate it. I’m a fan of oil cleansers. I have oily/combo sensitive skin and oil cleansers have been AMAZING! That said, the Tatcha cleanser is just ok. It didn’t break me out. I love the packaging and the hype made me want to try it. Between this and L’occitane’s Shea Oil Cleanser, I prefer L’occitane. Less drying, and removes all of my waterproof mascaras better. The product doesn’t equal the price so I won’t be repurchasing.

on 12/27/2017 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love!! The best oil. Doesn’t burn, gets all eye makeup off easily and quickly. A little watery but not sticky which is nice. I’ve tried Burt’s Bees, Josie Moran, Lancôme, Boscia and Clinique. The Clinique pot is better for travel though.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Unfortunately my skin didn’t like this cleanser. I love the idea of a makeup “melter” and the mini is perfect for travel but every time I use this I break out, even if I use a normal cleanser after. Another drawback is that I noticed I had to use 7-10 drops at least to fully take off my makeup which is a lot for a very expensive product.

on 12/6/2017 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a wonderful oil based cleanser! I'm glad it comes in a travel size for those not wanting to splurge for the full. Just wait for a sale. I had yet to find any cleanser (drugstore or high end) that really wowed me to repurchase over the year. As for the oil based cleansers, I've tried the shu uemura one which was fine but expensive, and hard to use at the sink, the CR one which is a balm, clinique's take the day off balm, among others. They all made my vision blurry and felt it was hard to use unless in the shower. I thought all cleansers that cleansed would either 1. do nothing or 2. strip oil off my face and make it tight. My current steady face wash is cerave's hydrating cleanser which is just ok.. doesn't break me out but doesn't strip oil off my face. This Tatcha cleanser is awesome for removing makeup at the end of the day, or I sometimes just enjoy using it to wash my face in the morning to get that soft supple feeling to my face that I don't get with the Cerave. This is awesome! I just wish it were cheaper!

on 11/27/2017 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This has the same density as the Clinique cleansing oil but it does not remove all of my eye makeup so would not get this again. I went with a sample size from the VIB sale so I'm not out a lot of coin but I will just be sticking with the Clinique which does remove my eyemakeup. From these reviews I expected the best, instead it was just mediocre.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a fan of cleansing oils because they're a wonderful way to get off all my makeup without having to over-manipulate, scrub or be harsh with my skin. I like the products I've tried from Tatcha because in spite of my better judgment, I get carried away by what is basically hype and pseudo-science in their product promotion. I treated myself to this cleansing oil at the start of Sephora's VIB sale so it was 20% off but still not exactly "budget". I really do like this oil but I don't find it any more effective than the cleansing oil from MAC. The one big advantage One Step Camellia Oil has is just that - it is "one step" and so I don't have to follow with another cleanser as I would have to with MAC (MAC's instructions make it clear that a followup cleansing is necessary and I think that's why quite a few people seem to have problems with breakouts....they're not following the instructions). I do appreciate not having to do a 2nd cleansing with this one and that's why I'll probably continue to purchase it. Two pumps gets everything off my face, including eye makeup, making this both effective and convenient. Nice packaging too! I prefer it to Shu Uemura's cleansing oil which is a nice product that also doesn't require a second cleansing product but I just prefer the Tatcha one which, I think, is also a bit less expensive (but I could be wrong).

Update: while it's not how the product is meant to be used, I've started using this in a new and successful (for me) way, in addition to how the instructions say to use this. If I'm going to be using a scrub type exfoliator, like the Umbrian Clay one from Fresh, I will slather on a bit of this before using the product, which can be drying. This oil gives a bit of a "cushion" against the drying effect of the scrub so that once I rinse, my face is soft and smooth with any dead winter-dry skin polished away but my face doesn't feel stripped or overly dried out. It's much like the Erno Laszlo method, with pHelityl Oil before daily cleansing and that has always worked for me so I think I might be onto something here!