Thayers Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera

Thayers Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera

4.4

Natural Witch Hazel Extract and fragrance, Aloe Vera, Purified Water and natural grain alcohol (10% as a preservative).

on 3/26/2017 11:56:00 PM

Bought the rose version and didn't like the smell, so I gave this a try and I love it.

Pros:

- love the vintage bottle!
- no distinct smell
- alcohol free!
- light weight, never sticky which is great for summer
- lightly moisturise
- cheap AF

Cons:

- don't think it remove make up residue

I've been using Dickinson's witch hazel for a few years now & I guess I've gotten use to the scent because this one completely caught me off guard! It's strong and lingers on the skin and smells like perfume!! The scent of Dickinson's does take some time getting use to but it quickly vanishes from the skin. Fyi I do think it's possible to get a bottle that's rancid because of the countless bottles I've purchased, only one was overwhelmingly strong. Dickinson's is around $3.89, feels like nothing once it dries on the face but does leave you feeling like you need to follow up with moisturizer. Thayers is right around $11 and leaves a slight tacky feeling to the skin. The perfume scent lingers for at least 30minutes and your skin feels moisturized.

Update
I don't really notice the perfume scent anymore as I've grown use to it. The tackyness does go away after a while and you're left with soft moisturized skin. Changed from 3 to five lippies
Cucumber, original and unscented are my favorite.

on 7/26/2016 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Witch Hazel is handy to have around - and Thayers (strong stuff!) has been around for-eh-ver. This version has a drop of aloe vera in it - but don't let that fool you - when overused it can still dry the heck out of your skin. Good for very oily areas (nose, chin) and when used judiciously can be helpful.

Cheap and easy to find (This and Dickinson's).

on 12/20/2016 11:46:00 PM

It's very surprising that I haven't already reviewed this product
but this is MY FAVORITE TONER thats affordable.

so before I proceed to continue on about this let me give you a little downlow on my actual skintype
I'm combo all year around (more dry or oily depending on the season currently due to the winter season its dry) and I'm acneprone so I need to have at least one or two products that helps keep that at bay and I definitely feel as though this product has helped with that.
I remember I bought this initially for the size (ITS HUGE AND IT WILL DEFINITELY LAST), and also because it was alcohol free and has witch hazel in it which I knew had antiseptic abilities along with aloe which also aids in helping fight acne and the scent itself is also wonderful which is a added bonus cause the other witch hazel toner I tried prior to this one was very pungent and personally not my cup of tea
Now I'm not going to sit here and lie and say this was a MIRACLE product because I still did get acne on occasion but for the majority I hardly got any spots. but also along with that it was very light and hydrating which was a definitely look for in a toner aside from helping as a second step in my skincare routine.
I've honestly gone through close to three to four bottles (I'm constantly testing and trying new products so for me to repurchase anything to me is huge) and I only stuck to the alcohol free versions but have tried different scents all of which were light, refreshing, but best of all didn't aggravate my skin. the only reason I haven't repurchased this product is due to the fact I have a backup skincare drawer thats currently overflowing and I need to work through but the product itself is still something I have personally bought time and time again when I ran out and will continue to repurchase once I've finished my current products I'm working through for its effectiveness and affordability.

and honestly what do you really have to lose when the bottle is this huge and is what...I mere 10 bucks at max from GNC.

on 8/21/2015 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a wonderful toner. I've always stayed away from witch hazel toners because of their high alcohol content. Thayer's, however, is alcohol-free! I use this both morning and night after cleansing, and I find that when I do my skin feels even more clean, smooth, and refreshed than when I don't use it. I used to love Mario Badescu's Cucumber Cleansing Lotion, but this product is equally as great and you get a lot more for less money. Overall:

-makes my skin feel smooth, clean, and balanced after cleansing
-a lot of product for a low price point
-uses ingredients that are relatively natural
-doesn't irritate my eczema (it's alcohol-free)
-packaging is nothing amazing, but works fine for a toner

Great toner!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this a while ago but never really gave it a try until about three weeks ago. Before then I was just using Rose Water to tone but felt it was quite doing enough anymore.

This has helped under the skin pimples finally come to the surface so they can heal and go away.

This is amazing. It doesn't smell or make my face sting which toners tend to do. I had a terrible breakout on my chest and this helped it clear away quick.

I still spray rose water on my face after this just to give my skin an extra boost of hydration.

on 5/9/2015 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I have been using this as a toner for about 2 weeks. I dont do well with acids-glycolic, salicylic or lactic-and needed something to tone my skin after using Dove soap to bring the pH to normal 5.5 and remove the residue from the sydnet, should I fail to rinse well.
To my surprise this particular "flavor" of Thayer's:

1) Moisturizes my skin. My skin feels smooth and soft after I use this. I have always thought witch hazel to be harsh and irritating & Ive read as much on the Cosmetic Cop's website. Wrong again Paula B.

2)Unclogged my pores. Ive been using Paula's Choice Clear reg. strength 2% BHA and it was making my skin dry, clogged and ugly. When I put that down and started using this, the crap just *slipped* out of my pores.

3) Eliminates the need for moisturizer. I guess this ties into the pH. My lipid barrier isn't disrupted, so there is no need for moisturizer. I'm nearly 38 and to this day I still can't find anything that can moisturize my skin without clogging or irritating. After witch hazel I spray on a hydrasol. That's it.

I've tried other alcohol free versions such as Aloe unscented but this is the least drying of the ones I have tried, I'm glad I did.

on 8/7/2013 11:43:00 PM

My HG Toner! Perfect for my combo/breakout prone skin on face, chest and back.

I have been using this toner for a couple of years. Was never a toner girl before. My original selection was the Rose scent. It is nice but I just wanted to try something without fragrance.I'm starting to move away from chemicals and fragrances as much as possible.

I put this in a spritz/spray bottle and as soon as I come out from the shower I spray liberally on my face, arms, chest and back. Then I let it dry for a few minutes. Leaves my skin SOFT. Leaves no scent. It is a little sticky to the touch if it is humid, that's the only (slight) drawback. This product says organic and it is natural with the Witch Hazel and Aloe and no alcohol. I love that. This really keeps my breakouts away - even hormonal breakouts which I am especially familiar with. This summer has been HOT and STICKY... Thayers has been a lifesaver keeping my skin clear with being able to wear tube tops and summer spaghetti strap dresses. I didn't use it for a couple of weeks recently (laziness during packing/moving) and broke out BADLY. :-(

Price is excellent and I can usually get it from $1 -2 cheaper if I buy from my local Health store (Evergreen - $10.00), rather than bigger Health chains. Lasts me a couple months even with using 2-3 times a day. Better to use the spray bottle than cotton pads (no wasting cotton pads and the spray goes farther).

I took a lippie off for packaging. When I pour from the original bottle into the spritz bottle, I always have leaking from around the lid, so I waste product. Bad lid design. I pour fast trying to waste as little as possible.

Overall - this gives me clear, smooth, soft skin. I love it and highly recommend it. Will use forever.

***UPDATE DEC 2013 - I tried the Lemon Thayers this past week.
1)It smells AMAZING.12 hours later I can still smell the wonderful light lemon scent on my skin.
2)Works better, IMHO, than the Rose or Original versions on blemishes, likely due to lemon/citrus properties. Even on my face.
3)No drying. Same great Thayers formula with aloe

Why didn't I try the Lemon sooner?!?
Will now use as my staple , no more Rose or Original versions.

My absolute favorite, especially during the summer.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I do not have acne, but i am very prone to break outs one in a while. My skin is extremely oily when i do not use toners that have alcohol. Most toners that i have used in the past really dry out my skin due to the salicylic acid or too much alcohol. This has really helped balance my skins pH which has phenomenally improved my skin! It literally glows now! (with out the nasty skin oil) My skin doesn't peel , or break out now! I would not recommend this for people with sensitive skin because it does have alcohol in it! You should get the Thayer Rose toner not Thayer original toner. I DO recommend this product for individuals who have acne prone skin or average break out prone skin that is not too sensitive like myself.

All the ingredients are natural, so it will not harm your skin! I was about to give up until i invested and tried this product out! I hope this was helpful! Remember your skin soaks in 60% of what you put on it, make sure that ingredients are good for you!

I wish every one the best for their skin!

Love, J