Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

3.6

Olive fruit oil*, Jojoba seed oil*, Beeswax*, Shea butter*, Sweet almond oil*, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil*, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract*, Linalool, Bergamot fruit oil, Lemon peel oil, Geraniol, Fragrance, Citral

on 10/12/2016 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

You know when you use an acid toner after cleansing and lots of dirt and make up comes off on the cotton wool because the cleanser did such a crappy job? Yeah, THAT! I love balm cleansers and I was really looking forward to trying this one, and hopefully feeling smug that it was cheap and effective as all the posh expensive ones. It totally isn't! Smells bad, doesn't emulsify at all, leaves a waxy residue AND, just to add insult to injury... It doesn't even clean your face!! Fail.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Like somebody else here, i made the mistake of buying two of these. I love cleansing oils and balms but its hard to find good, affordable ones. This was on offer at Boots for half price so I picked two up, after reading the ingredients. Well I wish I hadnt bothered.
At first glance it appears a yellow-greenish wax type substance. The smell is awful. I mean old-lady-perfume awful. It doesnt emulsify..at all. Its too thick and waxy and after rubbing it into my dry skin, I cant get it off my hands without using hand soap. It comes off OK with a hot wet flannel but you definitely need to use something else as a second cleanse and I would never use this as a single morning cleanse, its way too thick and would leave residue. As a first cleanse (of 2) its OK if you arent wearing any eye make up. I would not want to be rubbing something so thick into my eyes.
Quite dissappointed as I had hoped to have finally found a cheap cleansing balm but I will not be repurchasing, not even sure if I will bother to finish the two jars I have.

To Read all 30 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/10/2016 5:15:00 PM

I've been looking for a more affordable cleansing balm than my usual Emma Hardie/Clinique combo now I'm a poor student and figured I would give this a go as it's cheap as chips and readily available from Boots. It was only £5.99 and to be honest, I think that's about £5 too much. I originally tried this as a second cleanse product and have to admit I did not like it at all. This product is quite a solid balm and whilst it does melt into a oil it doesn't emulsify when you add water at all, so trying to rinse it off feels a bit like splashing water onto cooking oil. It leaves an unpleasant oily film on your skin that I would say is unnecessary for all but the driest skin types. I also think that my exfoliating toner wasn't able to penetrate into my skin and be effective once I'd used this as the oil layer was so thick.

Given it's high oil content I thought this might be better as a first cleanse to remove make up before following with something else to remove the film. I was wrong about this too, as this leaves a lot of make up on the skin and totally fails to remove even non-waterproof mascara. I lost more eyelashes in the 3 days I used this as a first cleanse than I did in a month of Clinique. I also saw a lot of foundation/make up still on facecloth during my second cleanse which a better balm would have removed during the first stage.

The only thing I can think of this product being suitable for is facial massage during a much longer cleansing process/facial, but even then the smell isn't great so I'd probably give that a miss too!

on 2/17/2016 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought two today and really wish I hadn't. Most of my reviews are pretty positive, and I wish I could be about this product. If I'm honest, it looks, feels and smells like furniture polish, and that may very well be what I use it for in the future. It's too thick - like surfboard wax. Doesn't melt easily. It's kind of gritty. It doesn't emulsify. It leaves a sticky film. I had to wash it off with a foaming cleanser. Did I mention that it is very highly fragranced - and unpleasantly so? Yeah, okay... It pongs. Disappointed!!!

on 12/17/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my first cleansing balm purchase, thanks to the 25% off Cyber Monday sale at Target. (It was already inexpensive--this made it less so!) I'd always wanted to try a cleansing balm, especially heading into the dry winter weather, but I wasn't sure how my skin would react.

I've only been using it for a few weeks but I really love it. Right now I don't "leave" it on my skin--i.e., I follow it with either a second cleanse (usually Neutrogena Foaming Cleanser) or with a wipe (Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix or Dragon's Blood pads), but I may experiment with this when it gets really cold and my skin gets super dry. As of now I feel like it's really helped with my flaky spots that are left by acne scarring, and thankfully hasn't caused any breakouts, either.

Even though it's only 2.3 oz, I can get by with using just a small amount. (I understand most higher end cleansing balms come in bigger pots, but at such an affordable price this is a negligible concern.) The texture is slightly "nubby" when it comes out of the pot (I think these are little pieces of either shea butter or beeswax), but they melt once rubbed into the skin. This has been lovely for a longer facial massage, or even just a shorter massage to remove makeup. I do wish it came with more than one muslin cloth, but again, due to its affordability, I can either buy more off Amazon or just make do with a regular washcloth (although I like the gentleness of the muslin).

Overall, I will definitely use this up over the winter. I won't repurchase immediately since I think this wouldn't be suitable for my summer-oily skin, but definitely will next winter if I don't find a better alternative!

on 11/1/2015 9:31:00 AM

I do not like this balm as much as REN's cleansing balm. This is obviously a much cheaper alternative, which is great for those on a budget, but I think there is a difference in quality. This balm is thicker and does not come off so easily. The scent is also a bit more prominent, and not in a good way. Although this does a fine job at removing makeup, I would still choose REN's balm over this.

on 7/9/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Oh my goodness so I've been on a skin care kick lately and I was looking at the boots products at Target. When I saw the good reviews on this and the cheap price of 8.99 I had to pick it up. This has been one of my best impulse buys!! This is a solid looking balm but once you rub it into the skin it turns into an oil. I know to oily skinned folks like me this sounds scary but over time using this product has cleared up my skin and let me tell you why. This balm removes every last bit of my face and eye makeup as I rub it in even my most long wearing makeup slids away. This over time has completely unclogged my pores and deep cleans my skin. How I use it: I rub a nickel sized amount of balm all over my face. I massage it in for 2-3 mins. (this my favorite part of my whole skincare routine, massaging your skin with this balm feels really pampering) I then wet the cloth with warm water and gently wipe the balm and residue makeup off my face. Afterwards I hop in the shower and wash my face with a gentle cleanser so I have no oily residue left. Note: I only wear makeup 3-4 times a week. I only use this product when I wore makeup. Overall this is the absolute best makeup remover I have used. My skin feels so soft and clean every time I use it. I love the natural nourishing ingredients and I would recommend this for all skin types!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I actually brought this a long time ago and tried it out didn't like it, felt it left a film on my skin well due to a change in climate my combo dry skin has become very dry especially around my chin and forehead, so I saw this in my cabinet and decided to try it out again but I used a facial terry cloth towel instead, so I did and I really like it, if your looking for a squeaky clean feeling with this cleanser your not going to get it, it works well and I follow with the shea moisture african soap toner and my usual night regimen this with the toner and la mer cream has calmed my skin down, so far I like it just not with the muslin cloth it came it not as effective as my terry cloth wash cloth

on 1/31/2015 6:35:00 PM

First, this cleanser should be removed with a lukewarm or warm cloth, never hot. Hot water is not good for your skin. The cloth it comes with is too small and too scratchy, so I use my Eve Lom muslin cloths to remove it. I am actually afraid to continue using it due to the strong fragrance. The fragrance isn't necessarily unpleasant, it is just very potent, and my skin is sensitive. It is a shame, because the cleanser has a nice pleasant texture and leaves my skin soft.

on 1/20/2015 11:59:00 PM

So I bought this because Lisa Eldridge highly recommend it on her website and she has acne prone skin like mine. I have used this for three nights now and so far I like it. I have acne prone, sensitive, combo skin so it is very difficult to find products that work for me. It is a little difficult to remove so I use this in the shower, let the steam work it in my skin while I massage it on my face then wipe with a wash cloth. It does leave a film on skin.....I haven't decided if I like this or not. I feels nice enough to not use a night cream over it. I have noticed that the few blackheads on my nose and chin came up and out after using this and a few pimples I had under the skin, it brought to a head.