Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

No Image

3.6

Olive fruit oil*, Jojoba seed oil*, Beeswax*, Shea butter*, Sweet almond oil*, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil*, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract*, Linalool, Bergamot fruit oil, Lemon peel oil, Geraniol, Fragrance, Citral

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

this new version is essentially the same as dropping a few essential oils into vaseline and smothering your face with it.

that might work for you, but my skin said NO.

the muslin cloth is a nice bonus, however.

on 2/23/2017 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I see a lot of people complaining about a residue left on their skin after they cleanse with this. Well of course there's going to be some residue! It's made from oils, and oil isn't supposed to just rinse right off with water. The whole point is for the clean oil to mix with the oils on your face, and it can't really do it unless it's actual oil. I've used two other oil-based cleansers (one korean and high-end, and the other from the brand Simple), and both of them "emulsified" and rinsed right off, and I personally found those formulas to not be very effective at cleansing. Besides, if you guys are familiar with the Korean skincare regime, you're supposed to do a foaming cleansing wash after cleansing with oils. I find that when I do this, there's little to no residue left afterwards.

Okay, now on to the actual review of the product. I've been using this product every night for a week straight and the two major things I've noticed is A) my pores are noticeably smaller/cleaner directly after cleansing with this product (because this is legit oil that actually draws the excess oil out of your skin) and B) my face is SO SOFT afterwards/when I wake up the next morning. So so so soft, and I actually attribute that to the moisturizing effect some of that "residue" has on the face, which has been really nice for the dry patches I get with my combo skin. And aside from those two major things, it's also really good at taking my makeup off (though I like to use a little micellar to remove eye makeup, first) AND it doesn't make me breakout, in fact I think it's actually helping heal the aftermath of an awful hormonal breakout I had a few weeks ago.

It's good shit people, and the little towel it comes with is nice too. Doesn't leave any lint on the face or anything. Go try it out! And give it a chance!

on 3/10/2016 5:15:00 PM

I've been looking for a more affordable cleansing balm than my usual Emma Hardie/Clinique combo now I'm a poor student and figured I would give this a go as it's cheap as chips and readily available from Boots. It was only £5.99 and to be honest, I think that's about £5 too much. I originally tried this as a second cleanse product and have to admit I did not like it at all. This product is quite a solid balm and whilst it does melt into a oil it doesn't emulsify when you add water at all, so trying to rinse it off feels a bit like splashing water onto cooking oil. It leaves an unpleasant oily film on your skin that I would say is unnecessary for all but the driest skin types. I also think that my exfoliating toner wasn't able to penetrate into my skin and be effective once I'd used this as the oil layer was so thick.

Given it's high oil content I thought this might be better as a first cleanse to remove make up before following with something else to remove the film. I was wrong about this too, as this leaves a lot of make up on the skin and totally fails to remove even non-waterproof mascara. I lost more eyelashes in the 3 days I used this as a first cleanse than I did in a month of Clinique. I also saw a lot of foundation/make up still on facecloth during my second cleanse which a better balm would have removed during the first stage.

The only thing I can think of this product being suitable for is facial massage during a much longer cleansing process/facial, but even then the smell isn't great so I'd probably give that a miss too!

on 10/12/2016 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

You know when you use an acid toner after cleansing and lots of dirt and make up comes off on the cotton wool because the cleanser did such a crappy job? Yeah, THAT! I love balm cleansers and I was really looking forward to trying this one, and hopefully feeling smug that it was cheap and effective as all the posh expensive ones. It totally isn't! Smells bad, doesn't emulsify at all, leaves a waxy residue AND, just to add insult to injury... It doesn't even clean your face!! Fail.

on 2/17/2016 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought two today and really wish I hadn't. Most of my reviews are pretty positive, and I wish I could be about this product. If I'm honest, it looks, feels and smells like furniture polish, and that may very well be what I use it for in the future. It's too thick - like surfboard wax. Doesn't melt easily. It's kind of gritty. It doesn't emulsify. It leaves a sticky film. I had to wash it off with a foaming cleanser. Did I mention that it is very highly fragranced - and unpleasantly so? Yeah, okay... It pongs. Disappointed!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Like somebody else here, i made the mistake of buying two of these. I love cleansing oils and balms but its hard to find good, affordable ones. This was on offer at Boots for half price so I picked two up, after reading the ingredients. Well I wish I hadnt bothered.
At first glance it appears a yellow-greenish wax type substance. The smell is awful. I mean old-lady-perfume awful. It doesnt emulsify..at all. Its too thick and waxy and after rubbing it into my dry skin, I cant get it off my hands without using hand soap. It comes off OK with a hot wet flannel but you definitely need to use something else as a second cleanse and I would never use this as a single morning cleanse, its way too thick and would leave residue. As a first cleanse (of 2) its OK if you arent wearing any eye make up. I would not want to be rubbing something so thick into my eyes.
Quite dissappointed as I had hoped to have finally found a cheap cleansing balm but I will not be repurchasing, not even sure if I will bother to finish the two jars I have.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I actually brought this a long time ago and tried it out didn't like it, felt it left a film on my skin well due to a change in climate my combo dry skin has become very dry especially around my chin and forehead, so I saw this in my cabinet and decided to try it out again but I used a facial terry cloth towel instead, so I did and I really like it, if your looking for a squeaky clean feeling with this cleanser your not going to get it, it works well and I follow with the shea moisture african soap toner and my usual night regimen this with the toner and la mer cream has calmed my skin down, so far I like it just not with the muslin cloth it came it not as effective as my terry cloth wash cloth

on 7/9/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Oh my goodness so I've been on a skin care kick lately and I was looking at the boots products at Target. When I saw the good reviews on this and the cheap price of 8.99 I had to pick it up. This has been one of my best impulse buys!! This is a solid looking balm but once you rub it into the skin it turns into an oil. I know to oily skinned folks like me this sounds scary but over time using this product has cleared up my skin and let me tell you why. This balm removes every last bit of my face and eye makeup as I rub it in even my most long wearing makeup slids away. This over time has completely unclogged my pores and deep cleans my skin. How I use it: I rub a nickel sized amount of balm all over my face. I massage it in for 2-3 mins. (this my favorite part of my whole skincare routine, massaging your skin with this balm feels really pampering) I then wet the cloth with warm water and gently wipe the balm and residue makeup off my face. Afterwards I hop in the shower and wash my face with a gentle cleanser so I have no oily residue left. Note: I only wear makeup 3-4 times a week. I only use this product when I wore makeup. Overall this is the absolute best makeup remover I have used. My skin feels so soft and clean every time I use it. I love the natural nourishing ingredients and I would recommend this for all skin types!!

on 11/1/2015 9:31:00 AM

I do not like this balm as much as REN's cleansing balm. This is obviously a much cheaper alternative, which is great for those on a budget, but I think there is a difference in quality. This balm is thicker and does not come off so easily. The scent is also a bit more prominent, and not in a good way. Although this does a fine job at removing makeup, I would still choose REN's balm over this.

on 12/17/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my first cleansing balm purchase, thanks to the 25% off Cyber Monday sale at Target. (It was already inexpensive--this made it less so!) I'd always wanted to try a cleansing balm, especially heading into the dry winter weather, but I wasn't sure how my skin would react.

I've only been using it for a few weeks but I really love it. Right now I don't "leave" it on my skin--i.e., I follow it with either a second cleanse (usually Neutrogena Foaming Cleanser) or with a wipe (Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix or Dragon's Blood pads), but I may experiment with this when it gets really cold and my skin gets super dry. As of now I feel like it's really helped with my flaky spots that are left by acne scarring, and thankfully hasn't caused any breakouts, either.

Even though it's only 2.3 oz, I can get by with using just a small amount. (I understand most higher end cleansing balms come in bigger pots, but at such an affordable price this is a negligible concern.) The texture is slightly "nubby" when it comes out of the pot (I think these are little pieces of either shea butter or beeswax), but they melt once rubbed into the skin. This has been lovely for a longer facial massage, or even just a shorter massage to remove makeup. I do wish it came with more than one muslin cloth, but again, due to its affordability, I can either buy more off Amazon or just make do with a regular washcloth (although I like the gentleness of the muslin).

Overall, I will definitely use this up over the winter. I won't repurchase immediately since I think this wouldn't be suitable for my summer-oily skin, but definitely will next winter if I don't find a better alternative!