Ulta Renew Hydra Quench Foaming Oil Cleanser

1.4

Right now, this is my cleanser of choice.

It is a unique product, in that it is both an oil cleanser and a foaming cleanser.

Pros: Removes all makeup. Doesn't leave a film, as many oil cleansers can do. Removes excess oil, as many oil cleansers cannot.

Cons: Can be drying, especially if lathering lasts too long. Stings if it gets in the eyes, which requires careful use if removing eye makeup.

Note - I have dry skin, and I am able to use this without it stripping my skin by using it in a particular way.

First, I splash my face with warm water and pat dry, leaving a very slightly moist skin (I also find that warm water opens the pores and allows any cleanser to work better).

I then apply the cleanser as an oil cleanser - no water added at this point. I massage into the skin, paying close attention to any areas with heavy or waterproof makeup.

Next, I splash my face with water and *very briefly* lather. This is the important part to avoid over-drying - the oil stage is for cleansing, the lather stage is for ease of rinsing. Do not lather for more than a few seconds - just long enough to create a lather, really.

After lathering for a few seconds, I immediately rinse.

The other step that helps my skin regardless of the cleanser I use - my toner (I use Paula's Choice Skin Recovery toner). Whether my cleanser is too oily or too drying, it removes whatever is left and keeps it from continuing to affect my skin after cleansing.

Rather like shocking cooked pasta in cold water after boiling to keep it from becoming soggy. Weird analogy, but apt :p

Bottom line - adjust the lathering time for your skin type. If you have oily skin, you might need more lathering. Dry skin should lather only to aid in rinsing.

on 5/12/2014 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Wow, this stuff is bad. If you want to dry out your skin to like almost cracking, get this. It's seriously the worst cleanser I have ever tried. It stripped my skin so badly I could feel the skin stretching in a bad way.

It left it looking flaky and red. Nothing good to say about this crap. It's overpriced too. You would get better results from a bar of cheap soap. I have NO idea why this says hydrating on it. It's like the Mohave Desert on my face. It dries it out so badly I need to re-wet my face and apply deep moisturizer asap. It's that bad.

It didn't even clean my face that great. I used toner after and it was still showing stuff. The lathering on this is a joke. Just a crap product all around, avoid at all costs.

Also, it seriously burns. Like bad. DO NOT get it ANYWHERE near your eyes.

To Read all 7 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/15/2014 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

So glad I bought a trial tube of this, and not the full size bottle (the high price of which caused me to raise an eyebrow). I love cleansing oils generally, but I really don't love this one. To start with, it is not an oil texture at all, but a thick gel, very much like your run-of-the-mill face wash. Working it into a lather is a bit of a challenge, and most of the time, it never happens at all. So what you're left with is applying the slippery gel onto your wet face, which doesn't feel all that pleasant. It rinses off pretty cleanly. Worst of all, it burns like crazy, so don't even think of getting it anywhere near your eyes.
The only plus is that my skin feels soft afterwards, but I often have to do a second cleanse because the first time never removes all the makeup. Overall, I just don't think it's worth the trouble.
This is a foaming cleanser at best, but as an oil cleanser, it has an incredibly long way to go.

This was horrid. It burned, and it burned, and it still burned. I tried lathering as stated on the bottle, it wouldn't unless my face was dripping wet. My eyes burned when they were closed tight. They burned when I used a warm, wet washcloth. They burned when I used the washcloth and rinsing with warm water with just my hands. They burned through any way I tried using the product.

On the plus side, it DOES remove eye makeup while it burns your eyeballs and the insides of your eyelids and tear ducts. Not a great price for such a burn. Never again.

on 7/1/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Like many others, this cleansing oil burned the heck out of my eyes. Mind you, I was careful to keep my eyes closed, and followed the recommendation from a review on the Ulta website to lather my (tightly closed) eye area last. No dice, it still burned like the dickens. I'll be returning this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I too was trying to save some money so I bought this instead of my usual HG DHC cleansing oil. You're supposed to apply to wet skin which seemed odd to me, but I did it. Your face and hands need to be really wet to make a smooth lather, otherwise it's really sticky and hard to move around. I usually only have to swirl around my closed eyes a few times to feel my HG break up all the mascara, but I had to work really hard and long before I felt that with this brand. It also burned the shit of my eyes even tho they were tightly shut. After I rinsed and looked in the mirror, I still had eyeliner on. wtf? Oil cleansers are supposed to be the best at removing makeup so this is a major fail. It also made my face and hands feel super dry and tight. I'll be returning and going back to my $30 DHC.

on 4/18/2013 8:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was about out of my HG oil cleanser, Origins Clean Energy, and I wanted to try and save some $. I had an Ulta coupon so I bought this and tried it last night. Not.good. In fact, it was pretty awful. For the record, I have also tried Josie Maran, MAC and Shiseido oil cleansers. I love massaging oil cleansers into dry skin then adding water to make a creamy foam. This one was super thick and sticky and impossible to massage into my dry face. And when I added water, it was still not easy to work with. It burned around my eyes and even though my eyes were clenched shut, it got into my eyes and burned like crazy! And it took forever to rinse off! In short, I hated it, will return it tomorrow and buy my 3rd bottle of the Origins.