Maybelline The Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof

3.7

where are the ingredients

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Really nice well priced waterproof mascara. Love the large rubber brush and it lasts all day without smudging or smearing. Gives okay length and volume and holds a curl fairly well. Would repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Have only bought it once so far but will be buying again for sure!! I have very long lashes and this mascara really brings that out. Basically never clumps and can be built up quite a bit! I personally like to apply several coats to my lashes and this mascara allows me to do that without it looking thick or clumped. Oh, and it stays on FOREVER. Even in the pool!! I've had experience in the past with waterproof mascara smudging a bit or flaking off in the pool but not with this one.

Definitely recommend :)

To Read all 167 Reviews, Login or Join

This is the best mascara for the price!!! It doesn't clump for me, is easy to put on, and you can really build it up without it looking spidery or clumpy. The waterproof one is really great! I went swimming the other day and literally none of it came off! Holy grail mascara for sure.

I love this mascara. It doesn't clump up or run, it's perfect for a quick and easy application. The applicator brush is the best I've ever used. The mascara doesn't cling to the brush or clump on it, which makes for an easy sweep each time.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I am extremely fickle with mascaras, so it's quite possible that in a month I'll be raving about a different one... but after experimenting with a few other recent drugstore debuts, like the Push Up Drama (also by Maybelline), this one is a true winner. I have quite long eyelashes, but they're pin-straight and not very full, so I'm always going for volume and curl-holding ability. A single coat of this defines and separates with no lash droop; a second is really ALL I need for some of the best volume and hold I've seen yet. This is a win, and I will definitely be repurchasing when my first tube runs out.

*UPDATE 9/13/16*
On my third tube and just purchased a fourth for when this one runs out. If you have long-ish but straight and sparse lashes, this is a winner.

*REMOVAL TIP*
If you are one of those who has found this difficult to remove, try the Andrea Eye-Q's Waterproof Makeup Removal Pads. Gentle on lashes and thorough :)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Okay, so I've been on a mascara hunt for the past month since I can't find my fave L'Oreal mascara (Power Volume 24hr) ANYWHERE. It's still on L'Oreal's site but gone from every store I shop at for drugstore cosmetics---a telltale sign that it's pretty much discontinued :( Anyway!

I had tried this mascara when it first came out and everyone was just alllll about it, but I wasn't very impressed. Looking back, I think all the rave reviews really built it up too much in my mind and that's why I felt so "meh" about it when I gave it a go. Sort of like, when you wait too long to see a movie that has a lot of buzz and it can never live up to the hype. That doesn't make it a bad movie, and this is not a bad mascara. In fact, I also bought Revlon's new Ultra Volume mascara and had been alternating days between the two of them to see which I preferred. While I'm glad that Revlon has FINALLY come out with mascaras that are actually decent, I think The Rocket wins.

Mascara's very personal and for me, I'll take the flirty, defined, full fanned effect The Rocket gives over Revlon's Ultra Volume. Ultra Volume gives a more tangled, feathered look that you need about 3 coats to achieve any drama with. The Rocket gives you a bit more volume with just two coats and that's the max amount of coats I usually feel like applying on a daily basis. I find I can finesse and style my lashes and build up a decent amount of volume with The Rocket without it going clumpy which is where a lot of volumizing mascaras go wrong. It won't ever do better than my beloved Power Volume 24hr, but I will have to settle for the time being. It's a little stubborn to remove but I need waterproof to keep my straight lashes curled and that's always the trade off. I also like that it doesn't leave my lashes feeling crunchy and the rubberized wand is comfortable to use (some can feel a bit grabby on the base of the eyelid.) I'm not head over heels in love with this mascara, but it's the best I've found that I'm certain won't be discontinued. I have yet to find one that gives the max amount of drama, definition, and texture which is my goldilocks zone, but mascara is something companies are always launching new versions of so maybe my perfect mascara just hasn't been invented yet :)

This is my holy grail mascara. I don't know how many mascaras I've tried – everything from Maybelline to Lancome to Chanel. And I've never come back to any mascara except for this one.

For a fair review, here are my expectations and what my natural lashes look like. I'm looking for something that can hold a curl, doesn't smudge and is a bit volumizing, but curl comes first. I have naturally dark, medium length but quite stubborn when it comes to holding that curl.

This mascara gives you the most amazingly curled lashes and since it's waterproof it absolutely doesn't smudge. Win, right? Well, not fully for me. It's nearly impossible to remove, and I've tried everything from Bioderma to Maybelline's own waterproof make up remover - the latter works best for this mascara, btw. But there's still residue the next morning, and if you rub your eyes too hard, you'll get that oil filter that makes your sight blurry for 20 minutes... Another con with this mascara for those who enjoy a fluttery and natural lash is that it is pretty dramatic. If you apply too many layers, you could get spider lashes.

This is why this is my ULTIMATE party mascara. It doesn't budge, holds a curl all night long, and gives you a super dramatic false lash effect. Love it for long nights!

I will continue looking for a better option as an everyday mascara, because for me, this is a little bit too dramatic and too tedious to remove. Other than that, HG!
---------------------------
EDIT: Changed from 4 to 5 stars because I found the perfect makeup remover for this mascara (Body Shop Cleansing Butter)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This might just be my HG mascara. I've tried countless formulas, from high end to drugstore brands, and this (relatively) cheap thing ticks off more boxes than anything else I've tried. I am obsessed with the brush - it gives me the exact same feathery volume and neat application I got from Benefit's They're Real mascara, minus the excessive smudging. The formula isn't too wet, so it doesn't smudge while I'm applying it, but it's not dry or clumpy either. Most importantly, though, it doesn't flake or smudge at. all. as I wear it. I don't have oily eyelids, but I do have horribly watery eyes. This dries quickly, doesn't irritate my eyes, and stays fresh looking for hours. My one complaint is that it's not super easy to take off, but it's not as bad in that respect as the Cover Girl mascaras I've tried. I generally try to go for cruelty free, higher-end products with better ingredients, but there is not a Tarte, Benefit, or It Cosmetics mascara out there that beats this stuff in my book. I agree with the dupe list that named The Rocket a match for They're Real...but again, I like this BETTER.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I constantly go swimming and take showers with this mascara and if you don't run your eye/touch your eyelashes, it stays perfectly. I also have VERY oily eyelids and at the end of the day there may be a little bit on the top of my eye where my lashes hit but it isn't much. It lengthens my lashes and hardly clumps. Definitely my favorite mascara.

This mascara looks decent on your lashes, giving some length and good volume. It does get a bit clumpy though. There are definitely better mascaras out there at the drug store.

But more importantly than how it looks for me, is how it wears! It is 'waterproof' so you'd think the wear wouldn't be a problem. But this smudges on me! It gives me raccoon eyes. Especially under the lower lash line, but there is some transfer onto my brow bone area as well. And! It even flakes a little as well.

Any smudging and/or flaking is not acceptable to me, so I do not recommend this product and I will definitely not repurchase.