GUERLAIN Rouge Automatique - 123 Habit Rouge

No Image

on 9/9/2018 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've gone through a few high end lipsticks in my time and never felt the need to repurchase any of them. Then I finished this one and realized that it left a square, one-handed lipstick tube shaped hole in my heart. Habit Rouge was a perfect vampy-but-still-muted orangey-brown red in an amazing formula, and using it always felt so luxurious and special. So I girded my loins and prepared to drop another $40... and found that naturally, Guerlain discontinued it years ago. Great. Between this and Revlon discontinuing Really Red, I am really hurting for vampy reds that work with my coloring.

Guerlain, please bring these back! They were way better than your current lipsticks, and yes, I am including the highly overrated Rouge G's in that assessment. Literally the only thing that wasn't perfect about the Rouge Automatiques was the white floral perfume. What I wouldn't give for a backup!

on 10/24/2013 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Since last autumn, Habit Rouge has become my "go to" lipstick for fall. It's the perfect shade of "autumn red" for me - not too warm or orange but not my typical "blue red" that I wear at other times of the year. It has a hint of brown in it that makes it so perfect for fall and it reminds me of a long discontinued Ultima II lipstick, called Bittersweet Red, that I used to love so much for the same reason.

Habit Rouge, like all the Rouges Automatiques that I have, is very creamy and moisturizing but doesn't feather or bleed, which is surprising with something this moisturizing. Pigmentation is great - a wee bit on the sheerer side but for me, that's a good thing with colours as strong as the ones I own.

My only complaint is the packaging, as I've said in my other reviews for this product. Because the case is SQUARE, it's tricky to apply the lipstick without messing up the application by having a corner drag across the lipstick you've applied. The "one handed" mechanism is, indeed, convenient but a rounder and less bulky tube would work better (but I'm guessing they can't fit the "mechanism" into a thinner, round-shaped tube). Even so, these lipsticks are terrific.