Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes Waterproof

Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes Waterproof
Colossal Cat Eyes WaterproofColossal Cat Eyes WaterproofColossal Cat Eyes Waterproof

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like to think of myself as a fairly positive person who goes out of their way to focus on the bright side and embrace the simple pleasures of life, but today was a major hiccup- I got two hours of sleep last night, Aunt Flo came to town and brought Cousin Cramp with her, and-- THIS. MASCARA.

No. Just.. no. I seriously contemplated giving this one lippie, so disappointed am I with it, but in the end two mitigating factors saved it- the reasonable price (around $8.50), and the fact that this mascara really does create and hold a curl like no other.

I'm going to stop being a sweetie right about here, because I have officially run out of good things to say about this. Had this been a high-end mascara that I spent a bit more money on, it easily would've been a one-lippie rating. Here's the rundown:

THE WAND... For a mascara marketed as volumizinng, they couldn't have picked a wand more ill-suited for that task. It is a curved, rather skinny and stiff wand that built next to no volume but smeared NONSTOP as I tried to apply it to my upper lashes. As this is not a very wet formula, I blame the wand for the incessant smearing rather than the mascara itself. I like to think I am no longer a makeup novice and can get through the average day without smearing my lids up with mascara, so badly I have to reapply my eyeshadow after cleaning it up. This is, to date, the only mascara I can recall causing this. WHAT HAPPENED???

THE FORMULA... Sorry Charlie, but the wand and the smearing it caused ended up being the least of my problems. After seeing it was able to hold a curl extremely well, I had delusions this mascara would redeem itself. If wrongness was a dollar, I'd be rich. This ended up transferring (aka smudging) SO BADLY, above and beneath my eyes, that even after touching up my undereye concealer and eyeshadow midday (which I hate doing), I left work looking like a panda with HUGE BLACK DOTS and SMEARS all along my browbone. This isn't my first makeup rodeo and I've done the smudging walk of shame before, but this was straight up embarrassing.

To all the lovely people at Maybelline, and the other reviewers who loved this, I am so, so sorry, but this was pretty much the biggest makeup ultimate fail in recent memory. I have used mascaras that made my lashes look pretty dull, and couldn't hold a curl, but none have smudged like this did, and I don't even have oily skin. As someone who battles undereye circles, the last thing I need is more darkening action going on up there! Boo, hiss.

This is my current HG mascara. I tried it out after my disappointment with Maybelline's Lash Sensational Mascara, which I find very thick and clumping and transfers on my eye area during application. However, Maybelline's Colossal Cat Eyes is awesome! I loved the curved brush, which I find to be curling and lengthening. When I first opened this up, there were no clumps at all either. Now that I have had this bottle for a little while it is slightly clumpy, but less a lot less so than Lash Sensational. I also really love the packaging (I am a cat lady, lol) and it smells kind of nice too.

on 4/30/2016 11:52:00 AM

I love this mascara on my short and straight Asian eyelashes! I'm not really seeking volume because I find that the more volumized my eyelashes are the less lengthy it looks. (The Colossal Volumizing Waterproof mascara is really good with volume but I don't like it because it make my eyelashes look fat and short.) So, this mascara is perfect for what I want because it emphasizes my eyelash length with no volume. Basically, those seeking volume should not aim for this mascara. Other than that, it also defines my eyelashes and keeps it curled for the longest and I just love it! It looks so natural! Along with that, it doesn't smear even though I have the oiliest and most watery eyes. Yay! I'm definitely buying this again once I run out. It's officially my holy grail!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm not unhappy with this mascara but I guess I'm not super thrilled with it either. I have shorter lashes and I'm always looking for a product that creates length and volume. This works nicely as an everyday mascara, the formula goes on great with no clumping and great definition, just not the volume I was looking for.
The brush is curved which was kind of annoying but it lasts all day with no flaking. Overall I'll keep using this but only until I find something better.

on 3/24/2016 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Overall I have positive feelings toward this mascara. I was disappointed that it did not really add volume, which is what I was hoping for, but it did define them very nicely. The applicator is in a strange, curled shape, which I found to be annoying for applying. I have to curl my lashes and this formula holds the curl very well. It has excellent staying power, as evidenced from minimal flaking during sleep and surviving tears, which is a bonus when you have watery eyes like I do. It is also a fairly cheap mascara (drugstore variety) so it will not break the bank.

on 3/20/2016 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

I find that this mascara tends to define rather than create volume. With short thin lashes, I need a little more drama. The formulation is too wet for my liking, if I blink my eyes while it's drying it'll stick to my eyelids and create a mess. Oily eye lids + wet formula = not good. For now I've been layering another mascara with a drier consistency to prevent it from smudging.

I did not know what to expect with this mascara . I have already tried a few Maybelline mascaras and I have not been disappointed so when I saw this on sale at ULTA buy two get one free I thought I would give it a try. I do love this mascara. It is great for getting ready in the morning when I don't have a lot of time. I love the packaging. I purchased it in glam black in waterproof. It doesn't flake, it doesn't irritate my eyes and a little goes a long way. I like to curl my eyelashes and use the trick I learned from a youtube guru by starting at the ends then the middle then the roots. It gives good length, holds a curl and although it does not give a lot of volume it gives enough for me to love it.You can pair this mascara with Maybelline the falsies flared or the colossal chaotic for extra volume but I think it is fine on it's own. I also think you have to be careful on layering on a few coats the formula is wet and although it is not clumpy it is a wet formula and if you apply a few coats it can transfer on your upper eyelid. It does last all day and I would give it try. The best part it comes off easily and it doesn't feel heavy on your eye lashes . It also has a scoop curved brush great to get every lash. I would definitely give this a try.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love the formula and the wand/brush on this one. I'm a Maybelline mascara addict but this is easily one of the best.

on 12/24/2015 2:23:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Good mascara for the price. The curved (sorry, "claw") brush curls and coats each lash and it seems to wear well without flaking. I would probably go for a volume-boosting mascara formula next time as this gives my lashes length, curl and definition but not much volume. I love the packaging as I'm a sucker for anything cat-themed, but I don't care for the fat, round cap. It would be easier to open and hold if it was flattened or textured.

on 12/23/2015 12:27:00 AM

I love using this! I pair it with my best in faux from tarte and my lashes look amazing I like it a lot better then tarte one that comes with the fibers I've repurchased many times

Popular Mascaras