beautyblender Solid Cleanser

Filtered by age: 30-35

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Coconut acid, Titanium Dioxide, Palmitic Acid, fragrance, Sodium Chloride, tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

One of my favorite hobbies is researching product ingredients to find or create dupes of overpriced cosmetics. I tried this with the beautyblender solid cleanser, and what I discovered is that it is essentially shaving soap. You know, the kind fancy men and grandpas use with a brush. Here's an ingredient comparison:

Beautyblender solid, 1 oz, $16.50

Herban Cowboy Shave Soap, 2.9 oz, $3.80 on iherb.com:
Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Extract, Iron Oxides.

I bought the Herban Cowboy shave soap, and it works fine. I actually store it in my beautyblender container, where it's easy to access and is able to air dry after use (I store the sponge elsewhere).

The Herban Cowboy soap does smell like a dude, that's the only downside. It's your typical cologne-y, after shave-y fragrance. Not bad, just masculine. Not the lavender of the BB Solid.

If you want a shave soap that has a lavender scent, check out Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3 oz. for $15.95. About the same price as the beautyblender, but FIVE TIMES larger. I haven't purchased this one yet because the Herban was just too good a price to pass up and I don't expect to ever use it all up. I might order the Old Bond, though, just for the fragrance.

Here are its ingredients: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Lavandul Angustifolia, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 17200, CI 42090

Not as similar to the BB as the Herban Cowboy, but it might work equally well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this with the Beautyblender Pure travel pack (really wanted that Air.port travel case) and I like it a lot more than the regular liquid cleanser. Its compact and doesn't take up much room and you can pack it in your carry on when you fly (a big reason it was made in the first place). It works just as well as the liquid cleanser but uses much less product.

Heres how i use it. I usually clean my beautyblenders when they are dry meaning I wash them right before use instead of after. The reason for this is when the sponge shrinks the makeup is pulled to the surface of the sponge and is easier to remove. I put a little water on the cleansing cake and rub the beauty blender all over it. I repeat this a couple of times until the sponge is covered and then rub the cleanser into the sponge. I then rinse it out and blot out the excess moisture.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I wrote this product a good review initially (although I was shocked by the tiny size in relation to the price tag)...

I am editing, because I have since learned that Dr. Bronner's bar soap is almost identical to this cleanser, in both ingredients and performance. It's only around $5 and you can get it at Trader Joe's, Walgreens or Target. It's a huge bar for a fraction of the price of the Beauty Blender Cleanser and it does exactly the same thing. I am convinced now more than ever that Beauty Blender is massively ripping people off! Go buy a bar of Dr Bronner's, trust me!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

a round bar of soap with a case for $20. yep, I feel I got massively ripped off buying this. To me, it cleans just as well as a bar of soap. I bought this after hearing reviews that it would be gentler on the beautyblender than a regular soap, but it turns the water pink just as much.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The beauty blender solid cleaner is awesome. Cleans the sponge as well as brushes incredibly well. For long wearing foundation I have to lather twice but all the product will come out. I do not believe it when people say their BB is stained...it is just still dirty, it can come out with diligent cleansing. I've had a white BB for a year that is still spotless. I've tried similar makeup cleansing bars and the BB one is far superior. The portability of the cleanser and the little container with drainer is great as well. Here comes the BUT....ordinary bar soap works exactly the same at a fraction of the price which is why I will not repurchase, try it!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Does this work? Yes. Is it worth the money? No. I have found that Dr. Bronner's works just as well at the fraction of the price.

It is just "fine". And for the price, I'd rather buy just baby shampoo to clean my beauty blender and brushes.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Omg. Looks like I have a new beauty blender. Gets the bb really clean. Definitely a must have if you hate dirty looking bb's.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I wish there was a "maybe repurchase" button.

This solid cleanser does a great job on cleaning my beautyblender, but also cleans my makeup brushes. I love the set up, with the grate dish to use on my brushes. I just find the price steep.

I have use Philosophy Purity to clean my brushes and sponges in the past, with solid works faster.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I bought the solid cleanser during a recent VIB sale at Sephora. Previously, I'd use the Pink Soap Artist brush cleanser to wash my brushes and a Sonia Kashuk sponge spray to clean my sponges, but after using this cleaner tonight, I doubt I'll be going back to those. Just one swirl of my brushes and they get thoroughly cleaned, and my BeautyBlender and Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge look good as new. I'll definitely repurchase.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools