beautyblender Solid Cleanser

4.2

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Coconut acid, Titanium Dioxide, Palmitic Acid, fragrance, Sodium Chloride, tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

One of my favorite hobbies is researching product ingredients to find or create dupes of overpriced cosmetics. I tried this with the beautyblender solid cleanser, and what I discovered is that it is essentially shaving soap. You know, the kind fancy men and grandpas use with a brush. Here's an ingredient comparison:

Beautyblender solid, 1 oz, $16.50

Herban Cowboy Shave Soap, 2.9 oz, $3.80 on iherb.com:
Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Extract, Iron Oxides.

I bought the Herban Cowboy shave soap, and it works fine. I actually store it in my beautyblender container, where it's easy to access and is able to air dry after use (I store the sponge elsewhere).

The Herban Cowboy soap does smell like a dude, that's the only downside. It's your typical cologne-y, after shave-y fragrance. Not bad, just masculine. Not the lavender of the BB Solid.

If you want a shave soap that has a lavender scent, check out Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3 oz. for $15.95. About the same price as the beautyblender, but FIVE TIMES larger. I haven't purchased this one yet because the Herban was just too good a price to pass up and I don't expect to ever use it all up. I might order the Old Bond, though, just for the fragrance.

Here are its ingredients: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Lavandul Angustifolia, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 17200, CI 42090

Not as similar to the BB as the Herban Cowboy, but it might work equally well.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Oh my gosh, this reeks of lavender--not my favorite scent because it gives me awful headaches, but I tried the product out anyway. It made absolutely no difference in the way my brushes felt after cleansing (although it rinses easily--I tend to use too much soap when washing them), except for that persistent smell. The price is outrageous, and bar soaps (which is what this is) are prone to bacterial growth (especially when they remain damp in a container), so that's the third strike. I've been cleaning makeup brushes for more than three decades now with most of the recommended or popular cleansers, and have come to the conclusion that as long as you wash and rinse thoroughly and air-dry the brushes fully, it doesn't much matter what you use. Cheap or expensive, natural- or synthetic-fiber brushes--clean is clean. I use clear dishwashing soap on brushes I use with liquid products (it gets every trace of even long-wearing foundation out) and unscented hand soap (Seventh Generation) on all the others. They come out great. If a brush feels rough after several washings, I massage a drop of hair conditioner (I've used many and find that it doesn't matter which as long as you use just a little) through it after washing and rinse thoroughly. Voila! The brush is like new. Please forgive my rant, but I hate to see companies rip off consumers with products like this. BTW, I clean my BeautyBlender with dishwashing soap and it comes out clean and soft. I suppose you've guessed, if you've read all this (and thank you for sticking it out), that I won't repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Fantastic! Cleans my Beautyblenders so they look like "new" after every use. Beautyblender's liquid cleaner is useless for me, but this one is amazing.

Quick hint: If you want something similar that works the same way, buy a "Fels Naphtha" or a "Zote" laundry bar, from the laundry section of your grocery store. Zote comes in 14 oz bars! These don't have the added moisturizers, lavender scent, or cute little carrying case, but they clean brushes beautifully.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this with the Beautyblender Pure travel pack (really wanted that Air.port travel case) and I like it a lot more than the regular liquid cleanser. Its compact and doesn't take up much room and you can pack it in your carry on when you fly (a big reason it was made in the first place). It works just as well as the liquid cleanser but uses much less product.

Heres how i use it. I usually clean my beautyblenders when they are dry meaning I wash them right before use instead of after. The reason for this is when the sponge shrinks the makeup is pulled to the surface of the sponge and is easier to remove. I put a little water on the cleansing cake and rub the beauty blender all over it. I repeat this a couple of times until the sponge is covered and then rub the cleanser into the sponge. I then rinse it out and blot out the excess moisture.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I wrote this product a good review initially (although I was shocked by the tiny size in relation to the price tag)...

I am editing, because I have since learned that Dr. Bronner's bar soap is almost identical to this cleanser, in both ingredients and performance. It's only around $5 and you can get it at Trader Joe's, Walgreens or Target. It's a huge bar for a fraction of the price of the Beauty Blender Cleanser and it does exactly the same thing. I am convinced now more than ever that Beauty Blender is massively ripping people off! Go buy a bar of Dr Bronner's, trust me!!

SAVE YOUR MONEY
and purchase a bar or liquid Dr.Bonners soap! It's made with natural oils and no fake chemicals if you're into all that, and the best part is that you can use it to shower too. It cuts through build up on makeup brushes and sponges super easy and fast with just a few drops!! I don't like to use it too much on my BB because it does tend to fade the color..for my BB I use Dawn dish soap and it works fabulous and doesn't cause it to fade.
The BB Cleanser is great but there are different alternatives for much less.
Even less expensive is Zote laundry soap. A huge pink bar soap for 99 cents in the laundry soap aisle of walmart. If you can't find Zote you can also use Lirio laundry bar soap.

It's a great product, gets sponge very clean - however it is a very small bar for the price. At first I tried other commercial bar soaps and they didn't seem to work. Then I looked in the ingredients and realise that it contains glycerin. I believe that is the ingredient that allows this soap to get the bb very clean. Commercial bar soaps usually have the glycerin extracted in the soap making process. However bar soaps made using cold process would still retain its glycerin. So if you are looking for a cheaper dupe, look for soaps with glycerin in the ingredients. Bar soaps sold at health food stores tend to not have had the glycerin removed and would work just as well. Some baby soap products also have glycerin added. So save some $$ and choose a dupe instead.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This works well but does not last long, for the price it is not worth it. I recently bought a couple of Dr. bronner's Magic Soaps in eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender and let me tell you that these soaps do the same thing as the solid cleanser yet they are only $3.99 and made with organic oils! Honestly save your money and buy the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap it does wonders. I haven't tried cleaning my brushes with it but it's amazing for the beautyblender!

This is, without a doubt, the best sponge and brush cleanser on the market. I have, for years, used baby shampoo to clean my brushes and sponges and always thought they were clean.

I didn't think I would ever get my sponges so clean that they looked brand new and I always thought that the pigments from my foundations and concealers had stained them. I purchased this cleanser and cleaned my beauty blender, along with some other make-up sponges and it not only got out the fresh make-up but also all the old product built up in the pores, no more "stains"!!

I read that it was safe to use on brushes so I got my most used brushes out, some of which were recently washed using baby shampoo, and I couldn't believe all the product that washed out of them, simply amazing!! I was also grossed out when I realized how many years I had been using dirty brushes and sponges that I thought were clean, ugh!

I will state that I don't think its a coincidence that I haven't had any serious breakouts since I started using this to clean all my brushes and sponges. Definitely worth the price paid and will continue to purchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

a round bar of soap with a case for $20. yep, I feel I got massively ripped off buying this. To me, it cleans just as well as a bar of soap. I bought this after hearing reviews that it would be gentler on the beautyblender than a regular soap, but it turns the water pink just as much.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools