Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.6

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

For reference I'm NC40 and wear the MediumDeep shade of this product. Straight out of the tube, these colors run d-a-r-k but once applied they sheer out very nicely and are quite forgiving. To be fair, I've only worn it one day so I don't want to jump the gun and remark about performance. I know many women have been waiting to try this and are questioning what shade to get so I wanted to rush post a preliminary review which I will update when I have a better feel for how it holds up.
Stay Tuned!
UPDATE: 4/19/13 - I've worn this CC cream several times over the past week and gotta say that I love it. The color match is really pretty good - maybe a super teensy smidge dark but the shade lighter than this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too light so this is the correct shade for me. This CC cream looks natural, holds up beautifully and I get a full 10+ hours wear without any noticeable fading or oxidation (though to be fair, my skin is on the dry side so I can't speak to how this will be for oily/oilier skin types). I also love Bobbi Brown's BB cream just as much (see separate review) and don't know if the benefits of one outweigh the other. This is a solid performer!!

on 4/3/2013 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. Clinique's Superbalanced foundation is my everyday foundation, but it doesn't last all day and needs several touch ups. I wanted something I could easily wear on days that I don't get home for 10 hours.

I ordered medium deep, which matches my skin well. In cooler weather, I need a thin layer of moisturizer under this. In the summer, I can skip the additional moisturizer. I apply this with my fingers and blend. I dust powder over top and it lasts all day with blotting once.

Pros: oil-free, color matches, SPF 30, light coverage that looks natural, lasts 8+ hrs. (with blotting), looks good in photos, not cakey, doesn't break out my skin

Cons: does feel tacky at first, does need powder to cut down the shine on my oily skin

**Edit: I love this for the summer! I wash my face, apply this, add powder, and finish with a little blush. Very easy to wear.

on 4/25/2013 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

For those of you who hate BB cream as much as I do, you might prefer a CC cream. This was very easy for me to apply with fingers. It went on smoothly, and even though it looked a bit light at first, after a minute it was perfect. My skin looked flawless. I looked alive. But my real test was how it lasted, since I don't have time during the day to play with my makeup. I put it on at 8 a.m., and when I came home from work at 5 p.m. I checked in the mirror and I still looked good. All I had over it was some mineral powder on my T-zone to take care of the oilies. Well worth it if you want a quick foundation look that makes you look bright and youthful, that lasts all day.

on 4/20/2013 4:59:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I just bought this in the color Light and I love it. It provides more coverage than BB creams and is definitely more hydrating without being greasy. It is also much easier to apply than most BB creams, which tend to be on the dry side and more suitable for younger skin. I generally don't buy Clinique products but I'm happy I decided to give this a try. Will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I wasn't sure about buying this after reading many less-than-enthusiastic reviews. Of course I read the reviews AFTER buying. I love it. Normally during the day I only wear lots of sunscreen but lately I've been wanting a bit of foundation too. As we know, even foundations with sunscreen require heavy application and many times my foundations don't work over my sunscreen. I chose light and it works perfectly for my skin color. It spreads smoothly and I apply it as I would over my usual sunscreen. My skin is older, a bit dryer so I am loving this stuff. It evens out my skin and covers small red or brown spots enough and I don't look made-up. I find that it is easy to blend. I always apply it over my regular sunscreen. I only apply it on my cheeks, nose and chin, and lightly. makes my skin perfect and I have extra sun protection.

If you like a natural, glowy, dewy look -this might be the product for you. I use the Very Fair and it lets my skin tone come through and definitely stays dewy throughout the day. If you are trying to hide brown spots, this does not have good coverage, but will just sort of even things out a little.

Here's my gripe however. If you have dry skin, like me, you still need a moisturizer underneath and for me a big part of a CC (or BB) cream is the sunscreen factor. Soooo, if you are wearing moisturizer underneath, the CC cream MUST be a 100 percent mineral sunscreen (as opposed to chemical) to give you the total protection that it advertises. Unfortunately, this has both types of sunscreen, so the only protection ingredient is the mineral component. The first chemical ingredients listed will do absolutely nothing over your moisturizer (it has to interact with the skin to be effective). So if you need to wear moisturizer (or even a serum) underneath, do not be fooled in to thinking you are getting SPF 30.

I wear a sunscreen moisturizer underneath as well, but this does not blend particularly well with a lot of my moisturizers, particularly if they have mineral sunscreen in them too. It's a bit of a dilemma. If anyone knows of a BB or CC cream that is 100 percent mineral and good for very fair skin, please let me know.

on 5/20/2013 1:39:00 AM

LOVE this cc cream! I have over 50 foundations, tinted moisturizers and samples galore. every foundation I like turns chalklike or artificial looking after about 5 hours. I work 12 hour shifts and have no time to redo makeup--only blot. I sampled this in light and very light on my nw/nc13 skin. the light one worked, but the very light was amazing. Used fingers to spread then lightly pressed into skin. This remains on my skin and has never cracked or dried out. CC cream or whatever they call this, it is a perfect base for me. I also have redness which this lessens to a great degree. Very natural skinlike appearance. Also, for those with "oilyness", I develop shine a few hours after any application of a base. Thought it was oil, but was told by my derm it was plain old sweat. So the shine does happen ( as with anything I use), but I blot only twice in 12 hours and this cc cream still holds up! This cream/base has awesome ingredients and has been wonderful for my skin. This gives a velvety finish, not dewey on me, but lustrous. My skin looks healthy. Thanx clinique for a gorgous product I can finally use daily and stop dawdling with millions of foundations.

I really love this! My skin is very sensitive/reactive, acne-prone and combo-oily leaning dehydrated. To add to that fun, silicones are an instant breakout-trigger for me, and we all know how 98% of foundations/BB/CC creams are loaded up with them. I actually had to read through the ingredients list of this CC cream about 5 times to convince myself that it really and truly is free of 'cones!

On to the review: on application, it does feel a little sticky/tacky, but I find that that disappears quickly once it's blended in to my skin. I've used both my fingers and a brush to apply, and both methods work well, though I might prefer using fingers as I find the warmth of my hands helps this to spread more easily. Once on, it feels like wearing nothing at all. Living in a warm, humid place as I do, this is a huge factor for me.

The coverage is sheer-to-light. What I love most about it is not so much the coverage but how it seems to generally even out and brighten up my skin without caking pigment all over my face. It is truly is a "my skin, but better" look. I have fairly decent skin most of the time, but some slight redness around my nose and mouth, and the occasional minor blemish. This CC cream doesn't exactly cover the redness, but still manages to make my skin much more even and balanced. I don't know how it does it, but it's almost magical.

The finish is on the dewy side. For everyday/daytime wear, I prefer this. For evenings out, I apply this CC cream and also blend a tiny bit of full-coverage foundation (EL DW Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup, which is amazing when used sparingly) over my more reddened areas, and then set it all with powder. That creates, for me, my ideal face--enough coverage to hide redness/minor blemishes, but not so much that my own skin isn't able to show through.

As mentioned earlier, almost everything breaks me out. I've worn this about 5 times now, and have had no problems AT ALL. I've even worn this at work (I teach hot yoga) and my skin is still seeming to love this. I just almost can't believe it....!

At $35, I think this is too pricey to wear every day. But given how finicky my skin is and how pleased I am with the look and feel of this on my skin, I will buy it again in a heartbeat when my tube starts to run low.

For reference, I have neutral-light skin and the shade Light works very well for me.

on 5/26/2013 12:13:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

As i am 54 years old, i have several of the BB and CC creams in my rotation.... This, by far is my favorite. I have a few dark spots this covers on my very pale skin.. I reapply it after lunch just like i use to do with powder foundation... Blends well...feels comfortable and now that i have white and light grey streaks in my hair, i am happy to report it doesnt creep in and color my hair! I do wear my moisterizer under neath it. Comes off very easily as well..

on 4/22/2013 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The problem for me with this product is that its supposed to be an all in one, but in trying to do so much stuff it doesn't quite manage to do any of the things it promises. I'm pretty fair with freckles and wanted something to even out my skin tone/cover some redness. It says its moisturizing but my skin is on the dryer side so I definitely needed moisturizer underneath. It also says it has sunscreen, but if you apply too much is gets really caky, so I had to wear sunscreen under it also. As far as its concealing properties, I actually really like it for under my eyes and my cheek bones, where one might want some illumination, but instead of cover my redness on my nose and cheeks, it just puts some light shimmer over it- not pretty. After all that, it would never seem to sink in, leaving my skin feeling greasy and tacky regardless of whether I applied it with a sponge, my fingers or a brush. Definitely returning, this just isn't quite the product for me I guess.