Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Spoiler alert: this CC cream is not for oily skin types! I have dry skin so it works good. Definitely hydrating as its says, works great over a layer of the moisture surge hydrating product of your choice. Typical foundation tube packaging, the opening is a bit too large so a lot comes out if you’re not careful. But applyig this a little heavy isn’t a bad thing because it does fade a bit throughout the day and I often rely on my foundations alone for SPF. It spreads a bit difficult and I always reach for a brush to blend this product out, it noticably accumulates in my eyebrows and hairline and looks better buffed a bit. I have no problems with wear and my dry skin doesn’t feel dehydrated at the end of the day so yep, it’s hydrating. I think it does fade a bit and it does not play well with my face powder (currently using bare minerals which darkens when applied over this),
I got mine at Ulta who doesn’t carry the shade “very light” so I got the shade “light” and, as I have been getting a little sun in the past few weeks, this shade works. I find it to lean cool with an obvious pink undertone, in my opinion it needs to be a bit more neutral if it’s going to work for “a range of skin tones and undertones”. At the time I am making this review there are some models on Clinique’s website with before and after pictures, and for one of the light examples her skin tone is obviously yellow. On her after photo her yellow skin tone is still obvious around her hair line and on her neck. So I’m going to strongly suggest those who know their skin tone is warm/yellow to test the shade out.
I don’t plan on repurchasing unless it’s to try out the very light shade as I think there are better bb/cc creams out there right now that apply, wear and look better. But compared to Clinique’s age defense BB cream it’s an improvement.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Don't use this if you've got oily skin. I was really disappointed with this as I thought I'd finally found the answer to my shiny face. I loved how it went on smoothly and easily and left no patches at all, plus it felt really nice on my skin giving a natural looking coverage. After around an hour however, I looked in the mirror to see my face was really greasy looking and oily, plus it looked like the cream had just disappeared into my face. I tried for a few days experimenting with different primers underneath, and also using pressed powder but nothing helped. I live in Scotland and it's not particularly warm here at the moment, so the result I got wasn't due to sweating or hot weather. I think it would be fine if you had normal skin perhaps, but it certainly didn't work for me. My face without any make up on isn't ever as oily as it was with this.

It's quite an okay product for what it is. The coverage is quite decent and the dewy effect is nice. It's great that it provides protection of SPF30. Yet that part has a downside: I feel like the product doesn't sit well on the skin, and gradually slides off. The cream is "eaten up" quite a lot by the end of the day. The colour match is not great either. Light/medium which is supposedly good match for my NC20/25 skin is quite alright in terms of color intensity but the shade is off. It has this pinky-greyish hue which many of CC creams have, and I do not find it flattering at all. I'd say the product is 3.5/5 for me.

This is the worst foundation I’ve ever tried out of all the cheapest and the most expensive ones. It doesn’t apply on my skin at all and looks patchy and creased all over. I tried it again and again and finally just gave up.

Why this sux...it has a powdery finish that clings to every single flake and pore. Trying to blend this stuff is a nightmare! Fingers, brushes, sponges -they're all useless. It just kinda smears, looks weird/unblended and immediately clings to flakes/pores. I'd seen a lot of great reviews but this works nothing like they show on YouTube. I've used different moisturizers, primers, tried thinning it out with RCMA clear/oil..nothing makes it blend even remotely easy. The color however is pretty good once you finally get it on and looking somewhat normal. I'm super white so the very light shade was a good match color wise. I'm going to keep this tho and see if it applies better in the humid summer...a nice spf cc cream that dries to a powder would b ideal then so maybe it'll work. Just FYI this to me seems like full coverage. It's not like super thick or opaque but the magic stuff inside color corrects ur skin so it looks full coverage tho it's very light feeling...once u manage to get it blended. The only thing more full coverage than this imo would b Dermacol 208...which is totes opaque. I still say for BB and CC just skip all this junk and just buy Korean cuz they nailed it in BB/CC world!

on 9/8/2017 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I wanted to love this CC cream so much. I saw so many great reviews of it on youtube that I decided myself and went to pick it up. I use almost all of the Clinique's "moisture surge" products and I love them, none of them has ever let me down. But with this CC cream... goooosh!! I've been having a terrible time with my skin lately, but this makes everything worse. It clings to my dry patches, almost no coverage, smells like cheap SPF (which I hate), tacky, wears off, my eyes burn so much (and I don't even apply it around my eyes), and I could almost swear and makes my faces super pink after some hours of wear. At least it hasn't broken my skin, yet. There are better drugstore BBs and CCs. I promise I gave this cream 5 chances in different days and always get the same outcome. I highly recommend you test this with the Clinique's staff and wear ir throughout the day before you purchase it and see how it behaves in your skin.

on 8/8/2017 12:16:00 PM

I have combination oily skin and spend my days in an AC controlled indoor environment. This product comes in limited shades. The SPF factor and sheer to light coverage would make this product good for a fast makeup look (e.g., going to the grocery store)

My skin tone is about Mac C3, or Estee Lauder Double Wear 2W0/2W1. I have this product in "Medium" which is dark for me. It has a more pink undertone than yellow so it wasn't a good match at all. The consistency of this product is very thick, making the product difficult to blend out. Using a low-quality or cheap powder (flour-y or not finely milled) with this CC cream could result in a very big cakey mess on your face. It felt like heavy cream sitting on top of my face instead of being "absorbed" in (not light weight at all). I can definitely feel like I am wearing something on my face. Some CC cream can be used alone or underneath a foundation (as it is a color corrector) but it would not be a good idea with this product just because of how thick it is.

I found the best method to apply this product is to use a brush or finger instead of a damp sponge. It smelled a little weird, though not a "bad" smell. I did not feel like it provided me any extra "moisture surge" or "hydration" like the product suggests.

The product did not work for me, and I didn't enjoy it. I would not purchase this again regardless of the price tag.

FYI: The shade names across the globe differs (USA vs. Asia).

on 4/29/2017 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I went to Belk to purchase my usual Clinique powder and the makeup consultant gave me a sample of this free. The sample came in a pretty generous size able to be used a few times for full application. The consultant matched me to the color "light medium". Whenever I first tried this on I noticed RIGHT AWAY that the color match was AWFULLY WRONG! This was darker than what I would have thought light medium would have looked like. So naturally I didn't like it because, well, the color was way off! Fast forward a couple months and I have been getting in the tanning bed. Since my skin was shades darker I decided to try this product again and see if I could make it work. It absolutely did! The color was PERFECT now and matched me exactly. I was excited! It blurred my imperfections, didn't dry my skin out, looked so natural, and matched my skin perfectly! It definitely has buildable coverage as well and a little bit can go a long way... It has a dewy finish by itself so I put on a powder over it and perfect! I will note however, that if you have oily skin like me (in my t-zone particularly) you may have to add more powder for a touch up to keep the look mattified... No big deal and takes only a few seconds. All in all, I definitely think this is worth trying out... See if you can get a sample and give it a try!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I asked Clinique for a rec for my dry winter skin and surprisingly they said this product in light. It matches my NC 20 skin exactly. It is thick but I wear a moisturizing sunscreen under it and it blends easily. I still need a concealer but it diffuses red areas and dark hyperpigmentation well. And it doesn't emphasize flakes. Love the tube and that it has SPF 30. This is a winner.

on 12/21/2016 4:13:00 AM

I got some samples when I bought my 3-step kit and when I ran out of my regular Garnier BB Cream these came in handy. I was pleasantly surprised with this product even though the light medium shade wasn't the exact match for me (NC20) it really looked flawless! Didn't cake or feel uncomfortable after 5-6 hours and there were no creases in sight. Will definitely make this my HG CC/foundation for those casual-natural look days.