Estée Lauder Knowing

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Estée Lauder Knowing

3.7

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

on 8/23/2016 7:27:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Shortest revew ever...
hand in hand with Aromatics Elixir, one of the most brilliant chypre perfume ever made....
pure heaven and a connoisseur's referent chypre...

splendid and remarkable 10/10

Knowing is the mother of all magnificent mossy chypre fragrances, straddling the fence between fine perfume and aromatherapy. It has a very soothing effect on me like an aromatherapy blend, but it's definitely fine perfume with a capital P.

It opens with a burst of juicy plum mixed with mimosa and rose, continues with orange blossom and jasmine, and finally settles into a deep mossy base complete with amber, musk, cedar, and civet.

The beauty of this fragrance is that it retains the sweetness of the florals and the juiciness of the fruit from start to finish. This prevents it from becoming dry and dusty the way many mossy chypres turn into.

Civet is the magic ingredient that allows it to remain sweet and juicy. Civet tends to add a warmth and radiance to florals, preventing them from being swallowed up in base notes. In my opinion, it's one of the reasons there are no fragrances that really compare to Knowing.

Ultimately, Knowing is not the right perfume for me, but I have given it a 5 because it is truly one of the best formulated and beautiful fragrances out there. I have also ticked that I would repurchase, because you can bet your bottom dollar, if I came across this going cheap in a second hand shop, I would snap it up in a second.

Longevity: 8 hours plus

Sillage: Moderate, people will notice it but it won't enter the room before you

I should point out that I am reviewing a mini bottle that I have had for 10 years, pre 2012 IFFRA regulations. As Knowing has a big whack of oakmoss, it has probably suffered from a poor reformulation. If you go to test it in a store, see if you can find out how old the tester bottle is (good luck getting that info out of sales people though).

Edit: August 2017. I was given a new bottle of this as an early birthday gift. Unfortunately it is no longer anywhere near as good as it used to be. The reduction in the amount of oakmoss used (and possibly other ingredients) has changed the composition a great deal. It is now much sharper, sourer and thinner with the rose and mimosa to the fore. Without the same percentage of oakmoss it no longer feels grounded and the base notes are almost gone.

on 1/11/2012 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay..... I am going to be honest. This perfume smells like urine.... But that is only in my opinion and a few of my family and friends.

I used to wear Britney Spears' Fantasy because I like sweet scents.... everywhere I went, in elevators, buses, people complimented me on my perfume. However, when in a different country I lost my wallet. Magically, a girl sitting next to me in a bus that day asked me if she could buy whatever perfume I was wearing right then and there...so I sold my Fantasy.

I got Knowing as a gift. Since I like to always wear perfume, even if I am not a fan of the scent, I wore it regularly until I had the money to buy one I really liked. Tip: Don't spritz it on yourself like a body spray...its STRONG. My nose grew immune to it but my friends told me that once I left their car my scent was still flying around in the car...and not in a good way.

This scent is not girlish or young.... in fact it smells kind of old-fashioned to me. If you want to really make a statement in a room, wear this stuff. It doesn't fade away like other perfumes do. But, my dad still told me it smelled like "urine".

on 9/21/2011 7:52:00 PM

What a discovery! it is an excellent perfume. It is a very special aroma that changes with time it is flowery/spicy/woody.
The dry down is very dry, but smells good. It is a unisex perfume. Sensuous Noir is a mixture of Knowing with Sensuous, the aroma of Knowing with the base of Sensuous.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Powdery and rosy. Brutally nauseating if overdone...this one is best dabbed, not sprayed. Heed this advice and you shall be rewarded with a truly gorgeous and womanly (NOT girly) fragrance.

on 3/5/2010 3:34:00 PM

UGH! Smells like chemicals and is way too strong. Not my cup of tea. It may be "haunting", but in a bad way.

This is super STRONG and long lasting! This is the BUG SPRAY of all perfumes! I don't know...........I find that Estee Lauder's perfumes have that "something" in them that I just don't like! That something is a moldy earth like smell. Ancient and funeral like. Tomb rotting. Death. The only one that doesn't seem to have this "something" is Beautiful, even though that one is sharp and bitter at first blast. My mother and sister have worn this and it stank to high hell on them, not to mention that I tried it and same thing! Does this really smell good on anyone? And does anyone use this stench sparingly? Because you do need to use very low doses of this potent stuff or we'll all die! SERIOUSLY! I find this to be one of the strongest and the worst of all perfumes. I'd rather die sufficating to death from Patchouli! I mean, Youth Dew comes to mind(or as I like to call it, Youth Pew!). That stuff seriously stinks BAD! Again, it has that death like trademark "something" that I've just mentioned! Like something left rotting up in your attic! Now, to be nice, I think Estee Lauder's perfumes are unique(you know, that death like quality!)in that I've NEVER come close to smelling anything like any of them.

on 6/30/2009 4:48:00 PM

When I was around thirty I wore this quite ofter and like it but it did give me a headache. That is rare!
Went into the store today and tried it on. It still gave me a headache and did not smell very good on me. Oh well.
I usually wear Chanel Mad. Coco and Boucheron. I would like to change it up some but I am having a tough time.
I am going to try some Clinique tomorrow and will see what that smells like on me.
Also, I always see if my husband likes it on me. Don't do everything just for my husband but it is nice when he enjoys smelling me!

on 1/8/2009 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

How did I miss this one for so long. Mesmerizing and magical. Lush, rich, feminine, creamy, and sexy. This is a mature fragrance that also says come closer. I would have to check back to the Estee site to give the notes but I believe it contains jasmine which can be nauseating for me. Not in Knowing, this is just beautfilly blended and I hope it will be around forever, because that is how long I will be willing to buy it. Very pretty bottle too. As with all Lauders, goes on strong and needs to be applied judiciously. Long lasting and good sillage. This is for a mature woman in my opinion, 35 and up. Love, love, love. . .!!!

on 9/21/2008 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I will give it this - it lasts forever. And while not altogether unattractive with my chemistry, it is just nothing special. Luca Turin lauded this as a wonderful "mossy rose" - the moss I get but sadly the rose is nowhere to be found.

Popular Fragrances