Estee Lauder Knowing

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Estee Lauder Knowing

3.6

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Eight hours later I could still luxuriate in the fumes of this heavily decadent floral chypre. It's not heavy to those around you, unless you spray more than necessary. A light sprinkling is all that's necessary of this beautiful fragrance.
There are many notes to consider and each individual picks up on different ones. But one thought remains constant. This is not a perfume for the weak and languid. It is vibrant, it is bodacious and unrestrained in the aura it suspends around its wearer.
The longer it sits on your skin the warmer the wood notes become. The rose lingers like an intoxicating first deep whiff you've taken from a bouquet-fresh and sweet but not overpowering. The civet flows through thickly for those of us who love our animalistic scents and the patchouli is darkly obsessional.
This is a magnificent chypre that will take you back to silk dressing gowns, bakelite cigarette holders with rhinestones, smoky eyes and the mysterious look of the pencil-eyebrows of the 1930's. Intimidating? Of course. Only in a cock of the eyebrow manner. This is not a sinister perfume. It is a perfume for the strong.
Knowing is a perfect name for this juice. The poised and confident need only apply to wear this power-house. Be prepared for the consequences.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Mimose, Coriander, Tuberose, Melon, Plum, Green Notes, Rose.
Middle Notes: Orange Blossom, Bay Leaf, Patchouli, Orris Root, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Cedar, Cardamom.
Base Notes: Spices, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Civet, Orris Root, Oakmoss, Vetiver.

on 3/2/2011 7:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This used to be my essential perfume back in the day when I worked behind the reference/research desk at a large public library. It used to mask any bad smells (and believe me, if you've ever worked in some parts of a library there are a billion of them) coming from people or things.

My colleagues would groan when I wore this perfume because it is loud and not everyone's cup of tea, and to be honest, I used to drench myself in it. I had one colleague who wouldn't get in the lift with me, he hated it that much. However, it got me through dealing with many of the great unwashed that I would encounter through my day because all I could smell for the first half of the day was myself and Knowing. Of course, the more I applied the more immune to the smell I became. Knowing has great lasting power!!

I have no idea of notes or other nice-ities of the perfume. I like it, but it's not a perfume I adore. It was used so I could save my Coco or Mitsouko for me, not work.

I have smelt this on others and it's lovely, but I think for me it now has too many bad associations (like the crazy guy who used to follow me around sniffing saying, "You smell like a girl..." or the other punter who used to come and request some glass cabinet books on guns of WWII and then take his shoes off when reading, but I digress), so I won't ever buy it again.

The other reviews say it all much better than I. It is a lovely perfume and is very striking for the right person, in the right time and place. But I just can't wear it anymore.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Sexy, deep incense. The lotion is the best way to go. This fragrance I respect! Be courageous, young ladies, and wear it with confidence!

on 6/30/2009 4:48:00 PM

When I was around thirty I wore this quite ofter and like it but it did give me a headache. That is rare!
Went into the store today and tried it on. It still gave me a headache and did not smell very good on me. Oh well.
I usually wear Chanel Mad. Coco and Boucheron. I would like to change it up some but I am having a tough time.
I am going to try some Clinique tomorrow and will see what that smells like on me.
Also, I always see if my husband likes it on me. Don't do everything just for my husband but it is nice when he enjoys smelling me!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a dead-sexy floral chypre. This is the fragrance of a confident, sexy, tastefully dresses in black, woman, regardless of age. This fragrance is a mossy rose and all goth. A little goes a long way -like most of EL's classic fragrances. Remarkable.

on 3/23/2008 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I first used Knowing in high school. I had a small EdP and used it sparingly but lovingly. I've meant to buy a bottle again on and off through my 20's but I never did. I recently tested this again as I was visiting an aunt who wears nothing else but Knowing. It's still as compelling as ever. It's so clean and crisp, yet there is complexity in there (as opposed to all the same old green/water scents)

I don't understand why I haven't had a full bottle of this since high school...

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I recently bought a bottle of this in search of "real" parfume - meaning something with some sophistication & staying power. I was surprised to read other reviews that likened it to other EL scents, because I don't like her other scents, but I do like Knowing. It is, as I mentioned, one of the last true parfumes. It probably wouldn't be my first choice if there were more quality fragrances out there but something has happened along the way and even classic scents that I used to love have changed, and now smell cheap and common. Now, I may BE cheap amd common, and LOOK cheap and common, but I don't have to smell like it. Knowing is strong, and reminded me of the days when you didn't just spraaaayyyy yourself only to have the scent dissipate after an hour. A little goes a long way - meaning it not only lasts but develops as it's worn into a rich, complex scent. It's the kind of parfume that really does work with body chemistry, creating a "thumbprint" fragrance, the likes of which are hard to come by. More like the true parfumes of the original french parfum houses, which seem to be all but extinct.

on 2/11/2005 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tested this twice (so I'm not a regular user), but add me to the people who consider this an unpleasant 'old lady' fragrance. This was too strong, and it was like I'd taken a too-big whiff of body powder. The day-old hint of a smell still lingering on my clothes isn't too bad, though.

on 11/28/2004 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Knowing is my very favorite fragrance in spite of many beautiful ones that have been produced over the years since this one was introduced. Men DO like this scent, and it lingers for a long time after a light spray. I love the way my clothes smell long after I've applied the fragrance. I guess this is close to my own signature fragrance. Simply put, a sexy, mature fragrance that isn't for the timid.

on 6/12/2004 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Something in Knowing reacts poorly on my chemistry. Seriously vile on me.

Popular Fragrances