Estee Lauder Knowing

Estee Lauder Knowing

3.8

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

on 8/23/2016 7:27:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Shortest revew ever...
hand in hand with Aromatics Elixir, one of the most brilliant chypre perfume ever made....
pure heaven and a connoisseur's referent chypre...

splendid and remarkable 10/10

on 12/25/2014 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

The first time I tried this perfume I hated it. It had a sharp almost dirty smell on the little blotter. I tried two other perfumes, got home with my three paper blotters stuck them on the coffee table & promptly forgot about them. An hour later i kept getting whiffs of something warm, spicy & really really good from somewhere. I started looking around & remembered the perfume blotters. I started smelling each one & to my surprise it was the one with Knowing. The next day, i went to the perfume counter sprayed it on & after the sharp opening, it calmed down & got better & better the longer i wore it. It starts out sharp, bitter & bracing. Then i smell a spicy biting rose. This rose is also quite dry, not dewy at all. The moss starts coming in & gives the perfume an earthiness i love. The longer i wear knowing the warmer it gets. Kind of like a woman you meet who comes across as cold but as you get to know her you realise she's a warm, gentle person. Knowing dries down on me to a warm, earthy skin scent. It's ridiculously beautiful & I can easily wear this as my signature scent. I love it the more i wear it. Ps very strong i literally use just one drop & it's enough!

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This fragrance is heavy and mature, its one of my favorite fragrances that's floral, long lasting and earthy.
I find it suitable to wear all year regardless of the weather.
Some reviews have said its best to use a small sprinkle or a dab which I've done and get the smell that's on the nozzle of the bottle. Other times I've used a couple of short spritz sprays and something else that's a sort of musty burnt smoke, honey and the floral is there.
This is the one in 2014 available now, I've never smelt the vintage Knowing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Eight hours later I could still luxuriate in the fumes of this heavily decadent floral chypre. It's not heavy to those around you, unless you spray more than necessary. A light sprinkling is all that's necessary of this beautiful fragrance.
There are many notes to consider and each individual picks up on different ones. But one thought remains constant. This is not a perfume for the weak and languid. It is vibrant, it is bodacious and unrestrained in the aura it suspends around its wearer.
The longer it sits on your skin the warmer the wood notes become. The rose lingers like an intoxicating first deep whiff you've taken from a bouquet-fresh and sweet but not overpowering. The civet flows through thickly for those of us who love our animalistic scents and the patchouli is darkly obsessional.
This is a magnificent chypre that will take you back to silk dressing gowns, bakelite cigarette holders with rhinestones, smoky eyes and the mysterious look of the pencil-eyebrows of the 1930's. Intimidating? Of course. Only in a cock of the eyebrow manner. This is not a sinister perfume. It is a perfume for the strong.
Knowing is a perfect name for this juice. The poised and confident need only apply to wear this power-house. Be prepared for the consequences.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Mimose, Coriander, Tuberose, Melon, Plum, Green Notes, Rose.
Middle Notes: Orange Blossom, Bay Leaf, Patchouli, Orris Root, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Cedar, Cardamom.
Base Notes: Spices, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Civet, Orris Root, Oakmoss, Vetiver.

on 10/20/2012 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

What makes Aldehydes Patcholi Jasmine
Sandalwood & Civet a good perfume
ingredients i just don't know. 90 %
of my perfumes That i love are these
ingredents it's Romance Wraped in a bottle An
elegant perfume perfect for
going to a high class Resturant
Going to a Posh Fine Art Museim
having a candle light dinner with your
signifigant other. i'v notice some a leather
note in this perfume i'm deffinily buy this again
when it runs out.

on 11/22/2011 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I try hard to surmount my difficulties with Estee Lauder because I appreciate the compositions so much - but Pleasures turns into celery, White Linen screeches and Cinnabar is an old eraser on me. However, I kept going back again and again to Knowing because I adore chypres and really loved Paulina Porizkova in a tux.
So I wrestled it like a cranky old boar in the forest over three days, and it finally clicked. It's grand and lush and slightly prickly, in a wonderful way. Finally an EL that feels like a version of me.

on 9/21/2011 7:52:00 PM

What a discovery! it is an excellent perfume. It is a very special aroma that changes with time it is flowery/spicy/woody.
The dry down is very dry, but smells good. It is a unisex perfume. Sensuous Noir is a mixture of Knowing with Sensuous, the aroma of Knowing with the base of Sensuous.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Powdery and rosy. Brutally nauseating if overdone...this one is best dabbed, not sprayed. Heed this advice and you shall be rewarded with a truly gorgeous and womanly (NOT girly) fragrance.

I wore KNOWING when it first came out in the 80s....I drenched myself in it (the horror!!), but now as I revisit this old-time favorite....I do apply it with a lighter hand.

Now, KNOWING has a lot of oakmoss in it and I fear(ed) a reformulation, so I got my hands on a bottle of new old stock (15 years old) and a bottle of fresh new stock and I will compare the 2 side by side.

The old new stock is a deeper amber color whilst the new stock is a lighter gold/slightly green color (I didn't notice the green tinge - it's so light - until I compared it side by side with the older one). Also, the older bottle has a more secure gold piece on the bottle.

I spritzed the older KNOWING on my left wrist and the newer on my right....I think I did pretty well with equal sized squirts. Within the first moments - I thought, oh no, the new old stock is "old" because a few moments of musty "old fragrance" were evident, but they disappeared in about 10 minutes and now I believe I am smelling true old stock in my comparison to new stock.

The old new stock now smells (25 minutes later), a little softer and less sharp than the new stock but this is a VERY minimal difference....honestly I would not notice this difference if I weren't doing a side by side. They smell very similar (so good job EL if there have been changes). The sillage of both seem the same. When I press my nose to the skin I cannot make out obvious note differences, however the one difference that I do get - and I can't explain since they do smell almost identical - is that when I breathe in the old new stock I almost think of the smell I get when walking into an Hermes boutique, however I do not get this mind/smell image when I breathe the new stock. VERY WEIRD and I can't place what is causing this difference.

Overall, if you are a KNOWING fan, I say kudos to EL for keeping this one true! I am a KNOWING fan and when I wear it, I feel rich and sophisticated and unique, but as others have said you've got to be in the right mood. Fabulous chypre IMO!

on 8/13/2009 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Knowing is my signature scent -- I have been wearing this since my late 20s. Sure, it's not for everyone and it is definitely long lasting. The drydown is simply perfect for my skin. I must have different body chemistry but for me, it's the only scent I have worn that both men and women have commented on that "you smell good." I hope this will never be discontinued. Luckily, the body lotion and shower gel can be used on those days when I want a lighter version of the fragrance.

Popular Fragrances