Estee Lauder Knowing

Filtered by age: 36-43
Estee Lauder Knowing

4.2

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

on 8/23/2016 7:27:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Shortest revew ever...
hand in hand with Aromatics Elixir, one of the most brilliant chypre perfume ever made....
pure heaven and a connoisseur's referent chypre...

splendid and remarkable 10/10

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been on the hunt for some new fragrances for autumn, and every year I get into my head that I would love a mossy rose, although I've never really found one that I've really loved. I was perusing the Guide and came across Knowing, then came here to read the reviews. It sounded promising and I went out to test it. Thanks to the reviewer who recommended the cotton ball application tip - perfect! I was pleasantly surprised to find it's very wearable and, actually, not a mossy rose at all. I would describe it as a woody floral, and a white floral at that, so maybe that's why I like it and I'm destined never to find a mossy rose. It's a real Boucheron-sized floral bouquet (the floral section reminds me of that a lot) buried in some dry foliage. Dryness is the key here which keeps it fresh rather than cloying. I can imagine it's a monster if you fully spray it on. I wish the companies making these big fragrances would offer them in splash bottles with the option of an atomiser, like SL does, as then all could be happy. It's much more difficult to decant out of spray bottles than the other way around, and this one would be great to dab.

on 12/22/2012 2:03:00 PM

Knowing, like Angel, is the perfect example of a fragrance that deserves its five-star rating in Turin & Sanchez' "Perfumes: The Guide," yet is unwearable for me. It is a lush rose chypre of great quality and distinction, in a hefty, artistic, asymmetrically ridged bottle that befits an elegant and mature classic. All the same, I feel sick every time I try to wear Knowing. It has a raspy, nail-varnish-like quality that I associate with old perfumes that have soured from exposure to the light. While I recognize intellectually that Knowing is simply swimming in oakmoss, and not the least bit sour or stale (having been purchased a year ago from Macy's), it nonetheless offends my nose and makes my head spin.

I can wear Aromatics Elixir and Cabochard just fine, so it's not that I am averse to loud dry chypres... But something about Knowing just never settles down for me, never becomes cozy and wearable. Shame.

on 11/22/2011 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I try hard to surmount my difficulties with Estee Lauder because I appreciate the compositions so much - but Pleasures turns into celery, White Linen screeches and Cinnabar is an old eraser on me. However, I kept going back again and again to Knowing because I adore chypres and really loved Paulina Porizkova in a tux.
So I wrestled it like a cranky old boar in the forest over three days, and it finally clicked. It's grand and lush and slightly prickly, in a wonderful way. Finally an EL that feels like a version of me.

I wore KNOWING when it first came out in the 80s....I drenched myself in it (the horror!!), but now as I revisit this old-time favorite....I do apply it with a lighter hand.

Now, KNOWING has a lot of oakmoss in it and I fear(ed) a reformulation, so I got my hands on a bottle of new old stock (15 years old) and a bottle of fresh new stock and I will compare the 2 side by side.

The old new stock is a deeper amber color whilst the new stock is a lighter gold/slightly green color (I didn't notice the green tinge - it's so light - until I compared it side by side with the older one). Also, the older bottle has a more secure gold piece on the bottle.

I spritzed the older KNOWING on my left wrist and the newer on my right....I think I did pretty well with equal sized squirts. Within the first moments - I thought, oh no, the new old stock is "old" because a few moments of musty "old fragrance" were evident, but they disappeared in about 10 minutes and now I believe I am smelling true old stock in my comparison to new stock.

The old new stock now smells (25 minutes later), a little softer and less sharp than the new stock but this is a VERY minimal difference....honestly I would not notice this difference if I weren't doing a side by side. They smell very similar (so good job EL if there have been changes). The sillage of both seem the same. When I press my nose to the skin I cannot make out obvious note differences, however the one difference that I do get - and I can't explain since they do smell almost identical - is that when I breathe in the old new stock I almost think of the smell I get when walking into an Hermes boutique, however I do not get this mind/smell image when I breathe the new stock. VERY WEIRD and I can't place what is causing this difference.

Overall, if you are a KNOWING fan, I say kudos to EL for keeping this one true! I am a KNOWING fan and when I wear it, I feel rich and sophisticated and unique, but as others have said you've got to be in the right mood. Fabulous chypre IMO!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A lovely, dry, haunting chypre with amazing sillage that is definitely out-of-step with current fragrance trends; there are no fruits or desserts or ozonics in this one whatsoever, and the florals (rose and jasmine) take a back seat to the dry woods and spices. That's actually why I love Knowing: it has held its own for more than 20 years despite being definitely Not for Everyone. But as a chypre lover, I take this one over P. Picasso and Aromatics Elixir any day of the week. It is absolutely beautiful and luscious on my skin, whereas some others go all cat-pee on me.

I will say that Knowing works better on some people than others. I will also say that the EDP is every bit as powerful and concentrated as most pure parfums--if not more so--and therefore this scent CANNOT be approached with the typical multi-spritz technique of most fragrances or it (and you) will smell dreadfully overdone. I actually spray about 1/2 spritz on a cotton ball and dab that on my wrists and neck before tucking the cotton ball into my bra. Either that, or I spray 1 spritz in the air, wait a moment, and walk through. That is how I make Knowing work its magic for me. And it's why I marked this scent as relatively inexpensive-- an 0.5 ounce bottle of EDP lasts me forever!

The only reason I took off a lippie is that Knowing takes some "work" to wear. It is very easy to overdo, and when overdone it is pretty darn claustrophobic. (This is a danger when women wear Knowing every day and lose their sensitivity to it.) But I think the work is worth it. A timeless masterpiece, and a bold and devastatingly sexy choice. To be worn with dramatic accessories and a ball-busting attitude...

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Sexy, deep incense. The lotion is the best way to go. This fragrance I respect! Be courageous, young ladies, and wear it with confidence!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a dead-sexy floral chypre. This is the fragrance of a confident, sexy, tastefully dresses in black, woman, regardless of age. This fragrance is a mossy rose and all goth. A little goes a long way -like most of EL's classic fragrances. Remarkable.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like many people of my generation, I miss the days when fragrances were a work of art. For years now designers have been making gourmands and fresh, fruity florals, and I can't take it anymore, which is why I went back to an old favorite, Knowing. It's a rich oriental, and it has the depth, complexity and beauty that fragrances had back when time and effort was put into developing them.

It is strong and won't work for everyone. Put it on sparingly, and it will last all day. Every time you put it on it smells a little different, sometimes spicy, sometimes floral, sometimes musky and heady, but always interesting and beautiful.

on 1/7/2008 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Absolutely beautiful and complex scent. I wore this when it was first introduced--it was actually my first "serious" fragrance. I decided to try it again after all these years and fell in love all over again. In fact, it seems to suit me better now that I am a wee bit :-) older. Strong and deep, this scent morphs on my skin. It is so unlike all the new fruity florals on the market now that have no sillage or do not change once you spritz them. A little of this goes a long way. Also, you must try this on your skin--a sniff from the bottle is not sufficient and does not do it justice.

Popular Fragrances