Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids - Vibrant Mandarin 914

4.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I wear this almost every day. I love the whole Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids line (with one exception). I was hoping this color would look a bit more orange-y on me then it does. My lips turn everything pinkish. But even so the color is great. It's fairly matte but not drying (not moisturizing either but to be a long lasting matte and not dry is a good start). The wear is very good. It wears down to a nice stain. It doesn't make my lips look full of cracks and most lipsticks this texture do.

One of my favorites

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I really like this lipstick- very bright and long lasting. I would repurchase this.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This lipstick is one of the most intense that I own! The colour is so vibrant, as the name vibrant mandarin would suggest. It's a great orange/red shade that can be applied full on for a dramatic look, or dabbed on for a more coral/red shade that is pretty for spring/summer. The formula of these lipsticks is great, and they are long lasting! I've got no complaints about this one.

Here is a tutorial that I did featuring this lipstick on my youtube channel if you'd like to see how crazy pigmented this product is!

a red with a hint of orange :)
perfect for olive skin tones!
it tends to stain a bit, and it does not feel drying at all! really like the formula

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Another hit in my opinion. It the perfect orangey/pink lippie shade. If you can't afford MAC impassioned this is a perfect alternative. Very pigmented and opaque. Wear time is decent as well.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Love it! Amazing orange-coral color, great for summer. Absolutely love it.
It is little bit dry, but it's long wear, doesn't come off easily. One of my favorites.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't even know if this color actually looks good on me, but I love it. It's a warm bright orange with a little bit of pink in it that makes it less scary than the next color over. Applies very smoothly, not drying, pretty good lasting power. Really nice color for a drugstore lipstick.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Some facts to know:
-My skin tone is somewhere around NC37. In the summer, I'll tan up to NC40-42. I have yellow/olive undertones.
-I have deep brown hair and eyes.
-For lip colors, I prefer orange- or red-based corals, tomato-reds, neutral reds, warm pinks and warmer-leaning berries.
-My lips are moderately pigmented and extremely dry. I can only tolerate a select few lipstick formulations (e.g., Chantecaille Lip Chics, Givenchy Le Rouge, Bite lip products in general, and YSL Rouge Volupte Shine lip products) for days on end without awful wear and tear on my lips. Some of the worst formulations for my lips are most of the MAC lipstick range but their mattes and satins in particular, the original Rouge Volupte line, all of Wet N Wild's lipsticks, and the entire NARS Velvet Matte lip pencil range (not the recently landed Satin lip pencils, however, those work well with my lips).
-I am *very* picky about lipstick scent. The only scents I seem to tolerate are those that are vanilla based or unscented and I am incredibly grossed out by lip products that are floral scented.

I am normally quite picky about my lip products due to the last two points above but I picked this up on a whim after hearing nothing but raves from the very, very few gurus I trust on youtube. I have since gone back to pick up two more. This lipstick range is a truly fantastic one for the drugstore!

PRICE: I purchased this for $8.99 from Rite Aid. It's on par, price-wise, with most of the lipsticks in the drugstore baring the dirt cheap lippies from Wet N Wild.

PACKAGING: The vivid lipsticks are all housed inside of a standard Maybelline-style package. The lipstick is inside of a silver inner package while the outer part is neon coral-orange. In the regular ColorSensational line the outer packaging usually corresponds with the lipstick shade. So, if you're picking up a pink lipstick the outer-package is pink...if you're getting a brownish lipstick, then you'll have a brown tube. The Vivids all have the same exact packaging and it's only by looking at the bottom of it, where a sticker with the name of the product is located, that you would know which color you're handling. I personally don't mind the packaging except for the fact that the the top of the lipstick tube is not transparent so in order to truly see what color you're getting you have to open up the lipstick. The sticker at the bottom of the lipstick does have a corresponding color swatch but we all know how awful cosmetics companies are at producing accurate swatches on those things so I'd advise popping open the top to see if it's truly a color to your tastes. Furthermore, these lipsticks are not sealed in the drugstore so I'd suggest opening them up regardless, just to make sure you aren't getting one that has been swatched by someone before you. I founded a couple that were definitely used and had been put back on the shelf by a$$holes.

COLOR SELECTION: The color selection is all brights. Nude or MLBB lovers will find nothing in this range to like, and should look elsewhere. The colors range from blue-based pinks to orange-y reds, to a few purples. The colors aren't all that unique but I do want to add that they will pull VERY differently from one person to the next based on lip pigmentation and skin color. I've looked up swatches of the colors I've purchased and they look wildly different on me than others who are lighter/darker than me. In fact some people that I would consider skin twins looked very different in colors because of our differing lip pigmentation. This shade, Vibrant Mandarin for instance, looks straight up orange on other people but on me there is no orange to be found. Instead this looks like a bright warm pink on my face, sort of like MAC Crosswire's less orange sister. I would highly suggest looking up multiple swatches before making a decision about which shades would suit your skin tone. Products like these make me with the drugstores had testers because they really look different on everyone.

APPLICATION: This lipstick is very creamy and glides on effortlessly. With this shade in particular, I'll going over my lips twice to get full, saturated color where my lip color does not show through.

COMFORT: This is an extremely hydrating formula. I wore this all day without feeling like I needed to grab a lip balm. Even some of my most beloved formulas leave me needing a bit of balm by the end of the day but these didn't.

WEAR: These wore well all day for me. Upon first application there is sort of a moist sheen that fades after an hour or two leaving your lips looking richly stained. The lipstick fades evenly after a few hours. After eating I did have to reapply but I have yet to find a formula that stays put through a meal.

COMPARISONS: The closest drugstore product I could compare this to are the Revlon Lip Butters which are decent but dry out my lips terribly. Needless to say, I love the Maybelline line so much more.

FINAL VERDICT: LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. I wish they had more colors that would compliment my skin tone.

COLORS I RECOMMEND FOR SKIN TWINS: The colors I have/love and think would work for those of us around NC37 are Neon Red (tomato red) and Pop of Cherry (pinky-red) in addition to this one. Shocking Coral is a miss. It looked like a light, grandma pink on me. ETA: Hot Plum is a failure too. I was hoping that it would be a cheaper dupe to MAC's Rebel but it lacks the reddish tint that makes Rebel wearable. Hot Plum was basically a purple on me. A very unflattering purple. I want to try Vivid Rose and On Fire Red next.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is a very bold, pigmented color, not for the faint hearted. It is such a lovely on-trend color that should work well on all skin tones depending on now much or how little you apply. I have a tanned complexion and this colour stands out quite brightly even with the lightest application. Really smooth and buttery and doesn't sink isn't fine lines or emphasise dryness. Affordable too! Highly recommended.