Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

3.5

Honestly, I really like this product. It's works well with the BE primer (also recommended), goes on like a dream, builds for better concealment, and helps with a variety of issues. I find that it covers an uneven skin tone well (dark circles, visible veins, mild scarring), and when I'm experiencing a breakout it provides mild coverage (not full though) without feeling heavy or clogging pores. In addition, I found that it helped clear my skin to some extent (unlike most foundations, which I find more often clog pores and worsen acne problems).

Really love this product. Add to that the fact that it's got SPF 15 (which I struggle to incorporate into my morning routine)... I fully intend to buy this again when I run out! :)

Complaints:
1) If you build it too much the texture can get a bit strange.
2) The coverage will never be full. You can get some coverage, but breakouts will still be visible.
3) If you have flaky skin (from dryness) it will stick in the cracks - even with primer. But by the end of the day I find that it also helps my skin regenerate from dryness, so I'm totally willing to tolerate this last issue.
4) I like the packaging, but it can be a pain to open/close. Sticks sometimes.
5) Does NOT work well with cream concealers!! Will stick to them and leave steaks/marks. I tried 3 other products under this one... Don't mix it with creams!

on 5/1/2016 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I really wanted this to work for me. I love the idea that the ingredients are natural - who wants to clog their pores? - and it's so travel friendly.

However... I didn't get on well with it. My skin is incredibly dry and this emphasised my uneven skin texture and didn't cover my redness well at all. It settled into pores throughout the day too and looked obvious and cakey.
I've tried spritzing it with MAC Fix+, I've tried several different brushes, small sponges, everything. I don't even like using it to set liquid foundation!
No way is this worth the £25 I paid for it!

Definitely would not recommend it for dry dehydrated skin! :(

To Read all 57 Reviews, Login or Join

This will always be my HG foundation. I love this stuff. It covers well. It blends easily. It doesn't cake. It lasts all day. It does everything the ads say it does and more.

on 4/22/2016 10:03:00 PM

I used to really like this foundation when I was in my teens and I just wanted something that was full coverage and easy to apply. I've recently revisited it in my 30s and I'm not a fan anymore. I have combo skin with an oily t zone and dry patches on my chin and around my nose.

I find that this foundation really catches on the dry bits, and doesn't control oil at all (which it doesn't claim to do).

After about 4 hours, it starts to wear off my nose, forehead and chin. It also really settles into my fine lines.

On the plus side, the colour options are pretty good, coverage is awesome and it doesn't break me out. Just not worth having to reapply all day until it's a muddy mess by the evening.

on 11/16/2015 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

When I was younger I wore this as an all over foundation. However, now I wear it differently. I have been wearing it as a concealer for about 4 years now and I really like it. For some reason, every liquid concealer I buy makes my skin look dry and cakey and gross. I use bare minerals under my eyes and on my pimples and it covers amazingly without looking super cakey. They trick is to use the concealer brush bare minerals has, and really go over the area good in a swirling motion.

on 10/21/2015 4:23:00 PM

Yay, so glad I came back to this foundation. I remember trying this out way back in 2007ish, and I liked it a lot then, but I was young and flighty and bounced to the next product when the container was done.

At age 30, my skin is mostly clear but I still deal with highly sensitive and often congested skin. My skin is way better when I lay off makeup for a while, but the tone and texture are dull and rough, and I definitely like to wear some kind of base most of the time to even out my complexion and add a glow. I've been really unsatisfied with my skin lately and have been foundation-hopping, trying to find the right one. It suddenly occurred to me to give mineral makeup another shot, because I liked it so much before.

Right away, I remembered all the things I loved about it. They've made some improvements to the formula and packaging since I last used it, too. It's a little less shimmery now--it just gives the loveliest soft glow, to the point where I usually don't need to use highlighter. And the package is now this click-lock shaker design that is genius.

I took the advice of Jen Chae on YouTube (seriously, look up her Bare Minerals application video, it's fantastic) and apply it in layers--the first one is a gentle, very thin layer, and then I just build thin layers for more coverage wherever I need it. This keeps it from getting cakey. It honestly looks perfect.

The first couple of days I wore it, though, it sank into my pores by noon and the tiny amount of shimmer made my pores stand out really starkly. This was a bummer, but I really really wanted the foundation to work for me, so I did a bunch of troubleshooting with primers. I found that the ELF Poreless Primer and a dusting of Mineral Veil on top of the foundation makes my skin look perfect and poreless all day.

I've been using this for a few weeks now and the condition of my skin has improved a ton. It's smoother and clearer. I just love that there's no crap in this to irritate or clog my skin up, AND it's an extra layer of sun protection. The only reason it's 4 lippies instead of 5 is that you do need a primer and a setting powder to keep it out of your pores. But overall, I'm very, very happy with this foundation and probably won't stray again now that I'm older and wiser.

UPDATE: I wanted to update that once the weather turned dry and chillier (I live in Texas, so it's not really cold, but it does get chilly and dry), this was too dry on my face. It'll be my go-to summer foundation, but this winter I'm liking the Laneige cushion for a little more moisture with the same light, my-skin-but-better look.

on 8/12/2015 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Well what can I say that haven't been said already about this legend among foundations. Bare Minerals Original foundation is a must-have in my make up bag, and a go to if I am late/lazy in the morning. So easy to apply and so effective. It is light weight, but it still evens my skin brilliantly and it is so kind to my acne prone complexion!

I use it in three ways:
1. On it's own with a touch of concealer, if I only want light, natural coverage.
2. As a base for heavier liquid foundation if I need better coverage for all day wear.
3. Or I apply a small amount as a powder, especially in the T-zone or problematic areas, after using a full coverage foundation, concealer and setting powder. This method I mainly use for evening/heavy coverage as it would be too heavy for day wear for me, but gives great results for evening out. Also if used with a SPF free liquid foundation it gives a nice gentle glow to the skin when photographed.

The only downsides I can think of it that I don't like to use it very much in the winter months as it feels very uncomfortable on my already dry winter skin, and the packaging isn't brilliant as I always have a little bit left in the pot that I can't get out before throwing it away.

I have been using it for almost two years, very frequently, and have bough two or three pots so far.

Absolutely love this foundation! I was completely new to mineral foundation and used to use Mac face and body which broke me out like crazy so I decided to switch, when I went to the counter I had red, horrible acne all over my face and then the lady put it on my face and my skin looked flawless, I even had a man in the street who told me I was beautiful! I really do love this foundation for a natural flawless look and it improved my skin so much so I recommend to anyone!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I don't know why I waited so long to try this. Actually yes I do, it's on an infomercial, which is cheesy. And it's all hype about the "natural" "chemical free" nonsense. I never bought into that because not everything that's natural is good (think poison ivy), and not everything synthetic is bad.

But I got a sample in the mail with some other product and although it was the wrong color I was kinda intrigued by the texture. I have super dry sensitive rosacea skin (and I'm black) so even though I hate creams and liquids, powders were never an option because they suck all the little bit of moisture out of my skin and make it itch and flake off like dandruff by mid-morning. So I ran to the boutique and tried it out. I let the consultant put it on me and I left to look at it in natural light because so many times makeup looks good in the store and like a drag queen in sunlight.

I didn't even leave the mall and I went back for it. OMG I don't know how, but just a small amount of this covers up all my red blotchiness and doesn't look all fake. It's plenty of coverage without being masky. Seriously, I was showing my coworker and she said "what makeup? I don't see any makeup. Your skin looks clear and healthy though." I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the satiny, slightly luminous finish that is exactly the way bare naturally healthy skin looks, not chalky dry like most powders.

The best thing is that I don't feel it on my face, which is the #1 reason I generally don't wear makeup daily, even if it looks good. I can't look pretty if I feel nasty. I even wear this on weekends.

I suspect that a lot of these bad reviews are clashes with other products. Sometimes when a product doesn't work well it's because of your moisturizer or concealer or whatever. Also, you have to closely follow the less is more, swirl, tap and buff instructions exactly or it won't work.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because for me, this is my holy grail. I know I've had holy grails before but that was because they looked nice, but this looks AND feels nice. I'm glad this has been around for so long, so it's not likely to be a fly by night like some other cosmetics lines.

on 7/6/2015 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I've been using this foundation for about 2 and a half years, I love it, great coverage and light weight. However for the past 7 months or so I developed these bumps under my skin, I put to down to the implant that I had put it and thought it was hormonal as it couldn't be the foundation since Ive been using it for so many years. I've got really fed up of these bumps you can tell how bad they are in sunlight and it looks horrible it was all over my cheeks. Growing up I never had spots on my face, only 1 or 2 on the chin due to it being the time of the month. When I wore this foundation it looks cakey because of these bumps. I got fed up a week ago and started doing research, I even went to the bare minerals counter and asked for help and the lady told me that they make up is all natural and its not the foundation that I don't have a good skin care routine. Upon hours and hours of researching online I came to find out its the foundation. I stopped using this foundation a week ago, and have also been make up free and the bumps are slowly going away. I also realised that I was getting more spots on my chin then the usual 1 or 2 but also since I've stopped using this foundation they are clearing up.

I would not recommend this to anyone as it ruined my skin and I don't know what complications ill have in the future because of it. If your thinking of buying it please don't, its not worth it, it can really cause damage to your skin in the long run.