bareMinerals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

bareMinerals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation
Bare Minerals Original SPF15 FoundationBare Minerals Original SPF15 FoundationBare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

3.5

on 11/25/2018 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I tried this out as it’s supposed to be safe for seborrheic dermatitis, and it caused me to break out terribly. The colour was very nice and matched me perfectly, but it was difficult to apply to my oily skin and went on very patchy. When I applied it very sparingly and layered it on little by little instead, it seemed to go on a lot smoother and looked very nice. My pores looked noticeably smaller and it evened out my skin tone, but after a few hours when the oiliness came back it looked patchy again. After the third day my face had started breaking out in little pimples and getting dry, flaky patches (possibly caused by aggrevated seb derm), and applying the foundation made my whole face itch and turn red. I stopped it for a few weeks and my skin cleared up, and when I tried this foundation again to see what would happen I got the exact same reaction. I stopped using the powder and had to throw it away, which was a shame because I really wanted to love it and it’s not very cheap either. I feel like the reaction was due to the bismuth oxychloride but I’m not sure.

I liked the packaging a lot, and how you could turn the inside “dial” to close off the holes so no powder would come out by accident. If only every company did that!

I feel like it’s not suited for oily or combination skin, but if you have a normal skin type then it can work well for you.

I will not be repurchasing because of my reaction to it but I can definitely see the appeal.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have the trial version size of this and wearing it alone made me crazy shiny after just 2 hours. Even though I like a dewy face, this actually looks pretty greasy on my face. Putting powder atop of the face only keeps the shine at bay for 1 or 2 more hours. The coverage is really natural and beautiful like skin as expected from a bareMinerals product but if you are an oily skin gal like me, I would advise you to stay away from it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is that classic cosmetic item (we've all got at least one at some point) you find yourself changing your mind about every day, mentally removing a lippie every time you see your face in some unfortunate lighting and giving it back when it surprisingly doesn't break you out despite a particularly cruel Aunt Flow going all Jack the Ripper on your skin. The first time I used it I HATED it: it looked like some cheap powder from the 80s: heavy, blatant and with a sinister luminescence which isn't that liquid-y skin-like finish you would call a "glow", nor that pearly look you get from a highlighter, but more a sort of...metallic shine? I know, weird. Nonetheless, I waited before assaulting this page and giving, like, a fourteenth of lippie and some not-lexically-glamourous seal of disapproval, and the chance for this product's redemption (and a wiser review) came -months after- when my go-to bb cream smashed on the floor in all its 34 euros worth of glory (yay!) and I had nothing but this to lessen my resemblance to a prickly pear.
I will try to be as objective as possible because I know you're here to try and figure out if this product may work for you, not to hear about me or my skin.
COLOUR:
I am using the lightest shade, "Fair", which seems to be a pale vanilla colour; BM lists this as "Fair-Cool undertones", but I'd say it's more of a neutral shade, which would match a pale caucasian "ivory" skin (think of a "french girl" skintone), wash out anyone with "peach" or "mediterranean" or "healthy" anywhere in their skin's identikit, and make a white-ish "Irish" skin look sallow (porcelain beauties, a suggestion: check out Lily Lolo foundations, pretty similar to BM as concept and ingredients, but with a wider range of pale shades). I only tried this one shade, because luckily it matched me spot-on, but reading reviews and comparing swatches I'd say there's a general trend towards warmth, so shades listed as cool are actually neutral and warm shades lean yellow. The shade "light" looks grossly jaundiced (if you want to look flawless during a hepatitis it's perfect), while "fairly light" seems to be the coolest, maybe the only truly cool shade, with a distinct pinkish hue at it (too dark for the aforementioned "Emma Stones" skins though).
FINISH:
Weird. Weird because, normally, powdery textures bring along matte finishes, so it's so strange to see light bounce off this distinctly powdery product: you move closer to the mirror and see the layer of powder, you move further and somehow light reflects on your cheekbones as you were wearing a liquid formula. This is the real magic of this product. This foundation's cryptonite? Close and strong lighting: it brings out all the heavy powdery nature of it, and unmasks any pretence of actually being your skin. Want people to think you're not wearing make-up? Keep them at a two arms distance and avoid overly bright places (think of a misanthropic vampire and behave as such)
TEXTURE:
Initially, powdery. Then, as your skin produces sebum, it acts as a liquid bulking agent and the powder "melts" down to a more natural, skin-like feel (and appearance). Then again, as the hours go by, it dries again into the worn-for-long foundation texture we all know, and at this point any texture in the skin will sadly be enhanced. As for how it feels: light and "wow, this is not clogging my pores, my skin breathes", then progressively heavier, like a sweaty face.
COVERAGE:
Any chromatic issue (redness, post-acne red or brownish hyperpigmentation) will likely be completely concealed; anything protruding from the skin, like a pimple, will only become flesh-coloured, so less "punch-in-the-eye" evident but still evident. In my experience comedonal non-inflamed acne (microcysts beneath the surface of the skin) could look worse, because while colour-correcting properties here are pointless, the ensemble will scream "I PUT LOADS OF MAKE-UP TO COVER THIS SO Y'ALL WON'T SEE IT" (spoiler: they will).
TOLERANCE:
This is too unique to each person's reactivity to predict any break-out from this product. Generally speaking, the fewer the ingredients, the fewer the chances to run into an allergen; moreover, I checked all the lists of comedogenic ingredients I could put my hands on, and from any one of them this product comes off clear. Of course, the optimum for your skin would be to stay clean and "naked", but this is just not an option for anyone dealing with acne or other skin issues (anything that can restore a little bit of self-confidence is precious in these cases). I'm currently reacting to everything for no apparent reason, but this hasn't made my skin any worse, so yay!
OTHER:
There seem to be very divergent outcomes based on which brush is used for application: just so you know, I'm using BM's "Beautiful Finish" kabuki brush (the one with white bristles), so this review refers to that too. As for the price, I paid 30 euros for the foundation and 16 for the brush

on 9/26/2018 6:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this. I use it over the Australian Gold SPF50 Botanical Tinted Sunscreen, but can really use it over anything - it holds up well. However: over certain things it might enhance the size of pores throughout the day. The coverage is light-medium, so it doesn't cover my hyperpigmentation - I always use a concealer for that. It evens out skin tone nicely though.

I was wanting to try it for probably 8 years now, but the ratings are pretty bad, and I was discouraged from trying mineral foundations after getting a bad reaction (cystic acne) from Lucy Minerals mineral foundation (which has much better reviews - probably partly because it has a very high coverage). I'm happy to say: the BM foundation hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin. It looks good on the skin too: gives a natural finish, but also looks luminous because of tiny shimmer - I actually don't mind that at all. I really like this for when I want my skin to look very natural.

I'm about NC20-25 right now, and I use this in the color 08, which was better when I was a true NC25. In the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue this would be equivalent to Butter Cream 03. I enjoy that BM has a lot of options for very yellow skin, like mine :)

on 6/8/2018 12:20:00 PM

The only foundation for my skin! I have dry skin with oily forhead, break out from amost all foundations I tried. I have tried a LOT. This looks great without dripping off the face as all moisturizing foundations does. I think many people just apply it wrong.

For this product to do full potential: make sure to have a peeled, moist skin before applying foundation. Let it sink in. Start with a LITTLE product all over face and make sure to BLEND in with your natural oils, not lie on top as layer-BLEND. I use a flat foundation brush for this. Add a second layer with a LITTLE amount of product, a third if u want more coverage. Dust over BM setting powder for it to stay all day.

No breakouts (which I get from almost all foundations), looks moist and lasts all day. Pricey tho...

on 4/24/2018 4:56:00 AM

*Holy Grail alert*
First time I write these words on here, but yes, this is my HG foundation/powder. Let me elaborate:

I have never really worn liquid foundation, I dislike its feel on my face. I only ever wore some powder just to avoid any shine, and a bit of concealer because of dark circles.

Until the day my best friend gifted me this foundation after a trip in Germany (Bare Minerals is not available in Greece). She and I have the same skin tone, so she picked for me what she used, Medium Beige. I have never looked back since!

This is the perfect foundation for a foundation-phobe such as myself: it blends easily, it feels very light on skin. Of course, it provides very light coverage, just enough to even out my skin tone and make my skin oil-free. It really turns up the "glow" factor, too.

I am already on my third box and will keep repurchasing (online) and hope it is not discontinued - ever.

on 4/14/2018 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I am so glad I revisited this oldie but a goody. When I first tried this years ago, I loved the powder itself, but the undertone was far too yellow for my skin. Fast forward to three months ago, with a wider range of shades, and I found my HG of powder foundation. A little goes a very long way! Primer is a must for any foundation on my dry skin. However, with this foundation, I can go from sheer to almost full depending upon amount used. I’m still amazed how it blends into my skin and never looks cakey or dry and the staying power is terrific. The delivery system is smart with shaking a little bit of powder in the lid. Swirl, tap, blend - music to my ears.

on 4/10/2018 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have used mineral makeup since I was 18, I'm now 31. Bare Minerals was the 1st one I ever tried and it's the one I still buy today. I have a little bit of a love/hate with it though.

First off, I love the shade range, I think they have done a good job in that area. I also find that most of these shades are very forgiving.
I love how fast this is for me to apply. I don't have to use a setting powder, and I don't have to make sure it's all perfect like I would with a liquid foundation. So it's always my go to when I need to get somewhere and don't have time to spare.
Also, I personally love the finish, I even have combo oily skin so I know I should love more matte foundations but...the heart wants what it wants, and I love a semi-matte finish if not dewy finish to my makeup. I'm so backwards I know.

Ok so now some things I dislike. The pretty finish I love, that dewy glow....It's from all the bismuth oxycloride they have in here, and in the winter I never even notice it, but in the hotter months when I tend to sweat a little more, it can really be irritating and make you want to scratch your face off! So then the foundation doesn't last as long because I'm touching my face nonstop. But, I just switch to the Matte foundation in the summer and that fixes that problem, because they don't have that ingredient in the Matte formula.

Another thing is you need to moisturize your skin when using this or it can get stuck on dry patches, and even look cakey. Now most people won't mind this but it was a struggle for me for a long time because I couldn't find a moisturizer that didn't break me out, and would sink in all the way. Now I use a gel moisturizer and don't have this issue but for years it was a problem. Because if you don't let your moisturizer fully absorb, and you apply this on top, it's going to be a disaster. You are gonna look cakey, and splotchy, and just not good. So always let your moisturizer FULLY absorb before applying this on top. Even dab your face with a blotting sheet or tissue first if you have to.

Lastly, this foundation always makes me look like a ghost in flash photography. I have so many family photos... lol...that just look hideous with my big pale face! I wish I had put two and two together sooner but it took me a few years to realize this is what caused it. So just keep that in mind, or try it out with a flash (not your phone flash though, phones will almost always give flashback) and make sure it's not going to give you any issues before an event or big family photo.
Other than that, I really do love this foundation and will continue to buy it. It's kind of like a "comfort food" type foundation for me, I've used it for so many years, I have used it so many different ways, and I miss it when I don't have it.

on 3/4/2018 3:58:00 PM

At first I thought this was making my skin better but over time it was actually doing worse for my skin. It was okay... at first.. and then it would get super shiny (not dewy) after a couple of hours which I don’t understand because I don’t have oily skin. I have also noticed that it has broken me out. Lots of small red pimples all over my face... I’m really confused because I’ve had people say that this is meant to make your skin better. I’ve never had this issue before ever in my life so I’m pretty devastated.
I’ve seen other people wear it and it looks amazing on them. Just wish it worked for me!

on 3/3/2018 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wish I could write an article about this product. I used this product when it came out. Back then, obviously, I was much younger and dealt with a lot hormonal issues. Zits and acne were my old buddies. I refuged to this product because of the advertisements and infomercials. I have to say that in my opinion, their PR did a fantastic job. They used all of the right key words to attract different age groups. The first promotions included a box of goodies which included two small size of the original powder in different shades, two brushes, mineral veil and a bronzer called Warmth. I still have one of the brushes from almost 16 years ago. Washed it a million times but it is still going. So the first package of goodies was lots of fun. I enjoyed the application of putting the powder on and covering the flaws. Back then, my skin was oilier and the mineral veil helped to some degree, but not much. Back then, primers were not around so because the powder was not durable, I said goodbye to this product a few months later. I tried other minerals and even less expensive ones but in the back of my mind, I still remembered the joy of applying the original version of this product. I also remembered that the Medium Beige shade of this product was the only perfect match for my skin. No other mineral product carried such a perfect shade. Fast forward, today, considering that primers are now a must, I tried the original version of the product in the Medium Beige shade again. All I can say is that I am so happy that I returned. This product does wonders for my skin and the color is perfect. The coverage is buildable and not cakey. My face truly glows when I wear this.