MAC Velvet - Mulch

MAC Velvet - Mulch

4.5

on 10/11/2017 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this! I would describe it as a cool bronze or a rose brown, satin texture. I have brown eyes, and this is perfect for when I want to do a sultry brown smoky eye! It is important for me that the shadow is not too orange-bronze, as orange hues don't suit me, and that it's not too red - otherwise I can look tired. I also don't want a simple grown or even a greyish-brown because it brings out the yellow in my NC25-30 very yellow olive skin.

Some have said that they have a problem with the texture of this, but I don't find it to be problematis - mine is tightly packed but easy to pick up. I use a flattened, smallish, fluffy eyeshadow brush and put this along my top and lower lid, and it crates a very modern smoky, grungy look that is not too harsh for the day time, and lasts on me all day, even without a primer. Blends easily, can easily be used for many looks, definitely worth checking out :) Oh, and MAC has lowered the price of their pro-pans, which is awesome!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using it for years. I love pairing it with Retrospeck in the inner corner and brow bone. Everyone always raves when I wear it. I'm a 25w. With blue eyes. It makes the blue pop. I hope they never discontinue this shade. I love it so much.

Mulch is a reddish brown shade with a rich golden sheen running through it! This along with 'Bronze' are my 'go-to' all over lid colours from MAC that have a permanent place in my MAC daily quad palette. The pigmentation is pretty decent, but it isn't the most buttery eyeshadow I own. The pay-off is very good though. For reference I have brown eyes and a fair yellowy olive skin tone, and I feel like this colour just works for me. I also tried Twinks, which is a more plum/mauve version of Mulch, and it didn't work as well with my colouring!
A definite repurchase!

on 2/18/2015 3:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this. It's a neutral/golden medium/dark brown. When blended into the crease, I don't see much of red and plum that others write about. Antiqued is much more red, and Twinks is a plummy version of Mulch. I love Twinks but think Mulch is more versatile. I use it in the crease, as a lid color, and as an eye liner. Soft shimmer/sheen adds lovely dimension. Nicely pigmented and blendable.

on 3/19/2014 3:41:00 AM

Gorgeous shimmery medium brown which can be layered over a dark matte colour to intensify and bring out the glittery particles. I use this lightly with all that glitters and blanc type for daytime wear also. Looks really nice smudged under the lower lashes for a smokey look. Would definitely repurchase but probably won't need to as a little goes a long way.

on 10/10/2013 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Another BIG disappointment for me. Mulch is a mediocre shade in my opinion, a cool-toned, dirty brown with reddy undertones. So unflattering on my dark brown-black eyes and the pigmentation was stiff and hard to work with.

on 10/6/2013 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Very good pigmentation, buttery soft (similar to a frost), with just a hint of sparkle that is not gritty at all. The red undertones bring out the green in your eyes!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I already have the Naked eye palette that has a shade very close to this one but it isn't as complex. Against my skin it translate with a slightly red undertone which looks absolutely beautiful paired with MACon "honesty" and "vanilla" pigment. I've even done a smoky eye with this shade and it came out pretty nice. Very impressed with this shade and I definitely plan on repurchasing.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Not sure why this has such a high rating. It's a nice eyeshadow, but not a 4.5. The color is pretty enough, but I don't like the formula. The shimmer is quite gritty and can separate from the base sometimes. The color btw is a medium brown slight red-dy undertones. Compared to Twinks, which is similar, this one is slightly warmer, as in Twinks is more plummy, and this one is more brick-y. If you have a darker tan complexion do try this in store because on me the effect is really quite meh. If you;re pale I think this would look quite nice, just use a good base to minimise fallout.

on 8/31/2013 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this after seeing this in one of JeanFrancois's videos. He used this shade in conjunction with MAC Woodwinked. The shade was the shade I wanted Woodwinked to be by itself. I took one lippie off since I feel like there an extensive amount of micro glitter. I will repurchase.

Popular Eye Shadows