Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) Mandelic/Salicylic Peel

No Image

4.7

Ingredients:SD Alcohol 40B, Mandelic Acid (15), Salicylic Acid (15), Propylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Purified Water, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Niacinamide, Inositol, Sodium Benzoate, Phytic Acid.

on 9/13/2017 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is a wonderful peel. It is very strong and it burns. I am always very careful to take it off my face after 5-7 min. When initially using it it needs to be removed much faster because this peel has potential to cause chemical burns. It stops pimples right in their tracks every time. It is fantastic. However, since it is so strong and I am not super acne prone, I only use it when my face is acting up. More commonly, I layer it as a spot treatment over forming cysts when I do my mandelic peel. One thing I noticed that bothered me when I did it as a full face treatment is that 3-4 days after peel, my face would become really red and itchy for whatever reason (but could be easily covered by makeup). It would go away after a few more days but it's only ever happened with this peel. Also, it burns after washing it off but just cover it with a good moisturizer and you will wake up with soft skin.

i love this! i have a very open pores and now after 3 weeks, i noticed some changes.

on 10/28/2016 10:05:00 PM

Over this past summer, I had a terrible breakout. I have always had decent skin up until that point, with a moderate amount of closed comedones and a few zits here and there, so this breakout was quite distressing. Seemingly overnight, I had terribly clogged pores and multiple red, angry zits on the lower part of my left and right cheeks/jaw and on my chin, with a few on my forehead for good measure. It was the worst my skin has ever been, and I hated looking at myself in the mirror every time I had to do my facial routine and put on makeup, which I absolutely needed before I could feel comfortable going outside.

After about a month and a half of using ineffective products, I was desperate to find anything that would help. After some research, I landed on this product, which I purchased as a sample size for a very reasonable amount. I am so glad that I did, because this peel was the jump-start my skin needed to begin healing.

I have used this peel five times now, and it has cleared about 80% of my closed comedones and all of my active breakouts. I no longer have zits in my problem areas, just one or two tiny whiteheads that are the comedones coming to a head, which clear up within a day. The rest of my skin is also left smooth and glowing. I only experienced very minor peeling on old zits, but I still think it's something you should prepare for if you try this product, just in case.

I still have some hyper-pigmentation and about 3 textured scars that I have to deal with (please, don't pop your zits!), but I am extremely happy with the results I have seen so far. This peel has proved to be a very integral part of my skincare routine.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Holy moly- I can't believe my skin! I have hormonal breakouts once a month and they have totally diminished. But that's just the start- my tone is even, oil production is back to normal ( hence my makeup stays perfect all day) and my ginormous pores are almost gone. Seriously my skin looked like the skin of an orange. Huge pores everywhere and now my face is so smooth! I've only been using this baby once a week for a few months now but I knew from the first peel that this was truly something special. I'll admit that it feels like a sunburn when you apply it. I leave it on for 3-4 minutes max. Rinse with cold water and no acids/ retinols for two days after. During the week I supplement my face with the company's mandelic toner which is another AMAZING product. Love it, love the company!! I will forever be a customer.

on 4/11/2016 9:39:00 AM

You would think, having the driest, most bumpy rosacean face ever that I would hate this but no, I love it! I used it regularly about a year ago and then moved and it got thrown in a box. I just unpacked said box and said what the heck, and tried this peel again. Three days later I was looking in the mirror and wondering why my damn face was so smooth and calm. It's this stuff, I tell you! I had $1,200 in IPL laser treatments that didn't work as well as this stuff does. Am I cured, no, but it makes things more tolerable, less red and less bumpy, so makeup looks better.

A word of warning, this peel can feel INTENSE when it is on your face. The first time I used this peel I thought I was going to die. I prefer to wash it off in a cool shower, rather than at the sink because I need copious amounts of cool water to stop that burning feeling. It's so worth it though.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Ever since I lost a whole bunch of weight and turned twenty, I've had a pesky bout with hormonal acne. My periods started to become a monthly thing and not something that occurred once in a blue moon; the responding acne that arrived with them became something of a surprise that not only I found unwelcome but was not at all trained to control. Nor accustomed to. In other words, it didn't even dawn on me that the acne was related to my hormones until I decided to buckle up and lose weight. Thereby igniting the monthly periods. Worse, as a biracial woman of Afro-Caribbean and Anglo-Italian descent, the aftermath of said acne would manifest itself as dark, deep spots that on my overall dark but bright appearance would look a bug in a cup of cafe au lait. Perhaps not alabaster, but still pristine for what it is. After a long time browsing MUA and MUAC, my brain reasoned I try this based on these facts. I couldn't have asked for more.

It has only been two months since I bought it and my skin is back to its preteen glory. I'm 24, and while not at all old, the transformation has been dramatic to say the least. Not only has this killed any upcoming acne but it also prevents it's appearance and has lightened the spots that were such a pain in the first place. My skin looks plump, even, juicy in a way, and just healthy. Beautiful. The way it goes about revealing this though is not pretty; the first time I did it my skin was horribly dry and I definitely didn't expect to peel despite some warnings. The skin goes from dry to brown patches, then a peeling of said patches in about 4-5 days on me. The patches form on what the peel seems to persist a problem, usually on my jaw line and the middle of one of my cheekbones. I just wash my face, pat dry with paper towel, apply peel, wait 3-4 minutes, and wash it off. I finish with some olive oil. Sunscreen the following morning and everyday. I don't use any serums until a full 24 hours after. The peel works best still when I avoid using a serum the day before it also.

If you are using this to control hormonal acne, please learn to time it. This is nonnegotiable. Otherwise, you're gonna be in the battle longer than you'd like. I downloaded a period tracker app that notifies me about two days before I get it. I made my phone calendar remind me exactly a week before expected day to do one of these peels. The pimples form the week before I get it, announcing their arrival with uncomfortable itch allover my jaw. The day thee itch begins, I attack with this peel. And voila. It has been two months and not a single cystic pimple in sight. It hasn't done anything to unclog the blackheads on my nose but it's the best facial treatment I've ever had and it hasn't failed once. I wanted something to prevent acne and the resulting marks. I tried the lone 15% salicylic, the Jessners and the 25% mandelic. Jessner's was ineresting to say the least: It minimized the acne and brightened my appearance, it peeled, but my skin was so sensitive for the whole month. I didn't even try using it again.The salicylic made me peel and burned like a MOFO and resulted in nothing. The same could be said of the mandelic, however it did minimize my blackheads yet it made my skin dryer than it had ever been. Never did I think that together in tandem, these two would make formidable allies. But like PB&G, Bogey and Lauren, and if you're Hispanic, Pimpinela (brother&sister duet singers from the 80s -so dramatic, but oh so mesmerizing), unexpected things can bring beautiful surprises. HG in my book, and truly, the only product I've tried that would deem so worthy.

on 5/12/2014 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is the strongest peel I own at the moment, and I have nothing bad to say about it! It does make my face peel/flake a littl bit around the 4-5th day, especially around and on my nose.
It does burn a little when I have it on, but I fan my face when I use it, which ake it much easier to bare.
I have been using the product for about 9 months now, and I love it! I would not hesitate to purchase another bottle when I run out/low on it. It has reduced my scars and pimple by a LOT, I notice that if there is a pimple, and I use it peel, the pimple is gone the next day! One of the best investments I have made on my skin.

on 10/26/2013 8:05:00 AM

I have mixed feelings about this peel. I love MUAC's peels and so far I have tried the 25% Mandelic, Radiance Peel, 12.5% TCA, and now the Mandelic/Salicyclic which I've used four times now. And here's what I think.

This isn't a "pretty" peel, I don't get that instant brightness and glow that I get after using the 25% Mandelic or the Radiance peel. Salicylic acid is pretty hardcore, and this peel contains 15%. I mean it's not TCA, but I find that I experience some cosmetic downtime after I use this peel. My skin gets dry and tight, turns brown and almost scab-like in some places, and then it actually peels off in sheets. And I only leave it on for three minutes! It takes about three days before it's all over, and yes my skin is then newer and fresher and really well-exfoliated even if it does lack the glow that I'm always chasing after.

But here's why I like it and will continue to buy it- this is the peel that does all the "heavy lifting" in my skincare routine. It peels off that tough, stubborn outer layer so that when I use one of my other peels, like Radiance, it works even better and I get more impressive results. What I do is I alternate between the Mandelic/Salicylic and one of the other peels every other week. And while I like what the M/S Peel does for me, the following week I find that I loooove what the other peel ends up doing.

Also- this is excellent for drying up acne. One time I applied this peel after my skin had broken out unexpectedly (I had tried a new product that ended up not working out for me) and the next day all of my blemishes had completely shriveled up. That was impressive.
For reference, I have combo-oily clog and breakout-prone skin that isn't particularly sensitive. This product helps keep my skin smooth and clear. Definitely plan to repurchase.

on 8/4/2013 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My skin loves this peel. I have also tried the lactic acid and mandelic acid peels from MUAC, and I liked the results I got from those, but this one has given me the best results. My skin issues are mainly acne breakouts, some acne scarring, and getting a smooth surface. The day after I use this peel I always notice how radiant my skin looks - it doesn't usually look radiant, ever, but this peel makes it look that way. My pores look a little smaller (it doesn't last) and little imperfections are all smoothed over. My face has an added brightness, too. It looks like someone did some light Photoshopping on me, but it's real! I like to use this once a week using the directions it comes with. I worked up to using peels like this, which I would recommend anyone else do as well (I first started using a 1% BHA product, then 2% BHA, then I added in a 10% AHA lotion a few times a week, then I started using these stronger peels no more than once a week). Always test it out on a little patch of skin before putting it all over your face, and always follow the directions exactly. You really don't want to over-do it. Plus, make sure you wear a good sunscreen on your face during the day, every day, but especially after doing a peel. The sample sizes that MUAC offers are the best and worth trying out.

on 4/17/2013 11:03:00 AM

This is product experiment #2 on the Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) peel. I started out with the 25% Mandelic for my very sensitive, aging, acne-prone skin. I got good results (please see the review for this where I documented each peel session) but was ready for something a little more agressive.

I was hesitant to use this one, but decided to order the same based on the fact that it still has the Mandelic, specifically 25% again along with 25% salicylic acid. I like sal. acid, my skin can tolerate it, I just didn't know HOW it would interact with the mandelic on MY skin.

Ok, Day 1. Washed face with TJ's Antioxidant Cleanser, patted skin dry. Did the jawline test which was perfect as this is where the hyperpigmentation stops. 3-5 minutes was the recommended time. Went for 3. After 30 seconds, I felt burning. Not bad burning, but the type of burn you feel when you you've been in the sun too long.

I washed it off at this point, first with plain, warm water, then TJ's because I wanted to be sure I got it ALL off. I saw immediate flaking on the hyperpigmentation, which I took as a good sign. I had to really check closely - in a magnified mirror (10X) so I could really see what all went on.

Yes, I saw flaky skin and a slightly lighter brown spot about the size of a large nail head, maybe 6mm? Yes, that is definately lighter! I smoothed on a bit of Cicaplast (my go-to for after peel treatment). The next treatment will be in a few days. Will continue to update - so far so good.