COTZ Face SPF40

COTZ Face SPF40

4.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (8%), Zinc Oxide (3.8%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Methicone, PEG 10 Dimethicone

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a pretty good sunscreen for the face. I like that it is a physical sunscreen as I've noticed chemical ones tend to break me out. This sunscreen doesn't make me break out. It can be a little greasy feeling, but it goes away. This is very lightweight and goes great under makeup. It actually feels like a primer, I think this could definitely work as a primer with spf! It does look a little funny coming out of the tube because it's brown haha, but it's nothing to worry about. Also it looks brown, but when applied to the face it becomes sheer. It has no fragrance which is really great if you're sensitive to smells. I really like this sunscreen.

on 4/21/2016 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Not my favorite face sunscreen but not the worst I've tried. It reminds me of the matte sunscreen from SkinCeuticals. It comes out kind of dry looking if that makes sense. It also comes out a weird brown color. Even though it comes out brown, I didn't find that it gave me a weird tint or anything. For reference I am about an NC40 in MAC colors. It settles to a matte finish which is nice and would probably work well under makeup. It does not leave a white cast. I probably wouldn't purchase this again since my skin reacted to it with small red bumps, but I did like the finish.

To Read all 16 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/22/2016 12:34:00 PM

I bought this product - CoTZ SPF 40 for "natural" skin-tone - at Ulta some days ago. I chose this one over their "Lighter" skin-tone version because I do like a bit of tint to even out my skin tone and act as a light foundation. Unfortunately, the color is MUCH too dark & orange on my skin. My skin is very light but with a yellow undertone, I have large pores with melasma/freckling/sun-damage. So I decided to go back to Ulta & buy their light-skin version of this sunscreen - which is totally un-tinted - so I can mix a blob of this one into that one thereby creating the right shade for my skin. I looked at the ingredient list and they are identical except for the inclusion of the brown iron-oxides in this "Natural-Skin" version, so mixing them will not be a problem.

The mixing went fine, I was able to achieve a nice intermediate color by mixing the "Natural" with the "Lighter skin" version. The product comes out in a whipped, rather thick/substantial mousse texture. Sounds nice, right? Well...it acts on skin like wood putty. The formula is totally water-less, it has tons of silicones and it is just like wood putty being spread around your face, a very strange texture & finish. I found it difficult to apply to a very smooth finish without it balling up in dry, putty balls due to the amount of rubbing that I needed to get it smooth. The finish is very matte due to the silicone formula - you will NOT need to powder over this to combat shine - but again, I personally found it hard to apply it to be totally smooth as it wants to ball up a bit and it will emphasize and collect on any dry or flaky areas. Strange stuff. I can say it's the oddest sunscreen I've ever tried, but could be a miracle product for someone looking for a matte, physical sunscreen.

I do think they should have an accurate color swatch somewhere on the box to indicate how dark the "Natural" version truly is.

Finally, remember everyone: To get the stated SPF, you need to apply approx. 1/4 tsp. for face & another 1/4 tsp to neck. "Pea sized amount" is fine for a moisturizer, but that is not the correct measurement for a sunscreen.

on 4/7/2015 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the absolute best sunscreen I've ever used. I'm very fickle when it comes to beauty products, but not when it comes to CoTZ. Yes, it comes out brownish, but poop never crossed my mind. Blends out seamlessly and I do get some coverage, much like a tinted moisturizer. I haven't gotten even a hint of color from the sun while wearing this. It's a workhorse of a product. Two thumbs up!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I just bought Cotz Sensitive Sunscreen from Ulta (NO TINT).

THIS STUFF IS AMAZING.

Seriously. It does look pasty white but even with the 1 tbsp sunscreen (minimum needed for adequate sun protection ladies --- google Pub Med research articles,etc if you don't believe me) --- IT goes on white BUT rubs in clear. It is oily so you need a good 5 minutes to let it soak in --- then you can apply your primer, powder, then foundation OR primer foundation powder ---. BUT there is NO WHITE CAST after it is rubbed in (even without foundation) and it leaves my skin glowing . The only other sunblock that does this is clinique super city block and you shell out more $ for less zinc.

I rest my case.

on 7/13/2014 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Received it as a sample in an Ulta/Sephora purchase, who knows, I lose track. I could have gotten multiple uses out of the one pack but as it was, I was just too confused to give it another go. It IS slightly tinted as product states but as a previous review also stated, it looks like poop. Amazingly, I still slathered this substance on my face. I ain't a quitter. Okay, I am. I just admitted it. But I did use it once even though it looked like poop. That says a lot about my beauty product character. It felt like primer, covered nothing (as I assume it would cover SOMETHING as the package goes out of its way to let you know it's tinted), it was matte as packaging stated, and I'm assuming with a SPF of 40, it kicked the living crud out of the sun the one day I wore it.

Nevertheless, too weird. I'll stick with my nice, normal SPF 20 foundation which does not remind me of poop. I'm not going to the sun. It's Earth. I'll take my chances.

on 6/24/2014 1:49:00 PM

First, if you hate the way Monistat Anti-Chaffing Gel Powder on your face as a primer, don't bother with this, you will hate it. I use the Monistat as primer...so this Cotz feels great to me. It feels very much like the Monistat to me...very silky, smooth. It definitely feels like a primer almost. The only way to really spell out how awesome this is to list it out:
PROS:
-works as tinted moisturizer/primer
-SPF 40
-physical sunscreens
-no irritations or break outs
-Ulta sells it for $19.99
-can be mixed with your foundation or layered with your foundation
-great for the summer
-only need a small amount to cover the face
-easy to use flip cap on the tube

CONS:
-comes out like a little pile of poop
-the tube is small
-less of a moisturizer, more of a primer IMO. If you feel dry, you may need to apply moisturizer then this.

This is the only face product with a higher than SPF 15 I have been able to wear (Olay Complete SPF 15 SS is the only other SPF I have been able to put on my face 2/out issues, not even the Olay SPF 30 was safe for me). Many times in the summer, this is my base...nothing else. I really hope they don't ever stop making this because I will definitely use this all summer. I could even use it all winter if I want. I don't know if this is newer or if I just found it, but it is amazing!

on 3/16/2014 2:37:00 PM

This is a first impression review for the CoTz Face Natural Skin Tone SPF 40 Sunscreen. I will update after continuing to use over time, but I'm so pleased with this from the get-go that I want to share it!

Things I love about this:

1. SPF 40: hooray! Excellent sun protection! - and isn't that the whole point?
2. Tint: this tinted sunblock looks dark when you squeeze it out, but it blends to a nearly sheer finish and doesn't make (even my very fair skin) look orange at all. Just adds a bit of color/warmth. Also, because it's tinted, no white cast effect.
3. Finish: matte! What sunblock has ever had a matte finish? It's a miracle. Between the bit of tint and the matte finish, I don't even need to wear foundation with this! I just put this on and dab a bit of concealer where needed and boom - face done. Skin looks smooth and even.
4. Texture: doesn't feel heavy, greasy, or tacky like most sunblocks. Practically weightless. Blends in pretty much immediately. Note: May trip up brushes a bit if you're applying any powder over this (bristles stick a little).
5. Ingredients: this is a mineral/physical sunscreen that blocks, rather than absorbing (like a chemical sunscreen does) UVA/UVB rays. Very few ingredients, and none of which ranked higher than a 1 on cosdna's analysis for acne irritation, which is great for sensitive-skinned, acne prone gals (like me)!
6. Staying power: billed as water and sweat resistant for up to 80 minutes. With skin staying dry, it lasts for hours without wearing off.
7. Gentle: no irritation to my skin (yet) and no burning sensation, even on the delicate eye area.

I'm seriously impressed by this, in case you couldn't tell. I'm ready to abandon my foundation and just wear this every day, keeping my skin protected like I know I should, assuming this doesn't start to make me break out. It's $20 for a 1.7 fl oz tube at Ulta, and that seems pricey but for the quality of this it is totally worth it. Furthermore, a little goes a long way so the tube should last at least two months, I think, even with multiple applications daily. I like the squeeze tube format also, very functional. The only thing that I'm "meh" about this so far is the sort of outdated 90's looking packaging.

Update after 5 days: Developed two new blemishes, and also some minor itchy patches on my face. However, my skin is SUPER easily suffocated and I rarely can pull off liquid products. So I'm leaving this as a great review, even though I won't be continuing to use it, because I still think it's an incredible sunblock and would probably work great for people with normal, oily, or just non-sensitive skin.

Here's more from Cotz's description:

CoTZ for Face Balanced Mineral Complex is a dermatologist recommended mineral sunscreen that feels silky soft and blends translucent with a sheer matte finish. CoTZ helps prevent heat build-up in the skin, which can damage the dermis. Also, helps prevent pre-mature skin aging (fine lines, wrinkles, sagging, and age spots), uneven skin tone and other serious problems.

CoTZ Balanced Mineral Complex blends to match skin tone:
- Leaves skin silky, soft & smooth
- Non-Shiny, Non-Greasy
- Layers invisible under makeup
- Weightless

CoTZ Balanced Mineral Complex for healthier skin:
- 100% Free of Oils, Fragrances, Preservatives, Parabens, PABA, Gluten, Phthalates
- Does not irritate or sting
- Gentle enough for all skin types
- Contains #1 & #2 rated sunscreen ingredients
- SPF 40 exceeds the level recommended by Skin Cancer Experts
- Provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Photostable, will not breakdown when exposed to sunlight
- Water & Sweat Resistant

CoTZ sits invisibly on top of the skin and functions like thousands of mirrors to deflect UVA/UVB rays before the rays can penetrate the skin.

CoTZ is 100% Free of chemical sunscreen ingredients, here's why: Chemical sunscreens absorb UVA/UVB rays into the skin and transform the rays into heat, which can damage the dermis.

on 2/24/2014 4:40:00 PM

I love this stuff! I got a small sample and loved the texture, so I bought myself the full size. It's much cheaper than similar products. It doesn't feel really heavy and greasy like other physical sunscreens. The best part by far is that it's tinted, so I don't get that ghostly white cast caused by other zinc oxide products. It helps to even out my skin tone, as well, so there isn't a need for any additional foundation on top of it. Just make sure to rub it in really well, otherwise you'll get blotches on your face like I did. The bottle is small but it has lasted me a full summer and a few sunny days here and there in the winter.

on 11/7/2013 9:43:00 PM

This is one of the most multi-purpose products I've ever used. It's the first thing I put on my face, it functions as my moisturizer, primer, mattifier, SPF and foundation all in one! It has very little coverage, someone who wants more will want to use foundation over it, but it's enough for me. I like silicones, but I can see where there would be a problem for those who are sensitive to them. I think this stuff is great!!