Avene Cold Cream

Avene  Cold Cream

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, C20-40 Pareth-10, Cetyl Phosphate, Fragrance (parfum), Methylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine

on 12/1/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a fantastic no frills moisturiser for my eczema prone severely dry skin. Having dry and really tight skin - no flakiness that some dry skin sufferers experience - many dry skin creams don't make the cut as they do not remove the tightness from my skin and are just not nourishing enough.

Avene's cold cream's texture is luxuriously creamy and thick so I would only recommend this for dry to very dry skin types. It provides instant hydration, alleviates that horrid dry skin tightness and leaves my skin feeling really comfortable. The name is befitting "cold cream" - it has a cooling effect on your skin and it has a lovely smell, very old school and classic"!

During the harsh Scottish winter, my skin is severely dry and tight, so much so that I slather my skin in oil and apply this on top - the result leaves my skin gloriously greasy and nourished! Used on it's own though it isn't greasy but still nourishing. Don't be afraid to use it under makeup - if a small amount is used and rubbed in, it does make a good make up base.

Also, this doesn't irritate my eczema - i was recommended Avene's special eczema line - which oddly irritated my skin - and surprised the adviser when i told her I used this as she said this should irritate my skin due to its fragrance! The UK online Avene team are fantastic - if you are unsure, get in touch and they will send you samples based on your skin type.

The main ingredients are mineral oil, beeswax and Avene's thermal spring water which is supposedly meant to be high in minerals antioxidants. There is a lot of controversy surrounding mineral oil, and having tried many alternatives - natural oils, natural butters - I have found it is the only ingredient that leaves my skin comfortable - something i crave from my moisturiser. It also doesn't have a huge ingredients list - very minimal ingredients which is why i think it is great for sensitive skin types. Barring the thermal water, the cream doesn't - nor does it claim to - have any high end ingredients, so I always add some cold press organic oil (e.g a drop of pai rosehip oil) to the moisturiser to provide some extra nutrients.

The tube idea is fantastic - hence no need for parabens - BUT it is in a metal tub which often cracks and results in product leaking out! This can be avoided by ensuring you squeeze the tube from the end when using the product (kind of like you do with your toothpaste). The price is reasonable - I usually buy online when it is discounted.

on 10/15/2015 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin has been so dry, rough, uncomfortable and nothing works (DDML+, Kheils ultra, PC moisture boost, cicalfate, amlactin, weleda almond oil, etc. etc.). I got a sample of this and tried it in the evening after washing. It didn't spread well- felt thick but not too moist, and immediately had a matte/velvety look(but in bad way, I like a sheen b/c my skin is so dry). Within 1min, I couldn't tell I had even put anything on. There was not even a protective/filmy feel, my skin just sucked it up and remained dry and rough. Usually when this happens, nothing improves over time. A few hours later when I went to sleep, still the same. I was disappointed. Went to sleep (smelling kind of retro, old lady like, this stuff is highly fragrant, fyi) But, surprise...!!

In the morning my skin was much softer! Not perfect or normal, but a lot better. With every other moisturizer, I'm dry by the time I wake up, even if it went on nicely...it just doesn't last long enough. I didn't wash my face in the morning b/c I wanted to see how long this would last. In the evening 6pm, my skin still felt soft, about the same as the morning.

So, this one seems to take a while (4-5+ hours?) to work, but easily lasts 24 hours. I will keep using AM and PM a few days and update. But, for now I give it 3 lippies, it worked better than anything so far, but the smell isn't great (no irritation, but I'm not sensitive to fragrance- just really don't like useless extra ingredients), it takes a while to kick in (at least first time), and its a pretty basic formula.

That said, given how quickly it sunk in and left no grease, it might work well for combo/slightly dry types with no waiting.

To Read all 48 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/23/2015 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great cream! I use it as a night cream and as a day cream in winter for some areas of my face.
Really cheap and lasts for a long time.
Very greasy but it never gave me pimples of any sort.

on 12/12/2014 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine

This cold cream is quite heavy as a moisturiser but is very good for areas of dry skin. It has a rather sickly smell that I'm not so fond of but otherwise it's a pretty good product.

on 12/4/2014 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

“Cold snap” is certainly the right word - when the temperature dove in our area my skin certainly felt the snap and suddenly dried. It’s almost embarrassing to list the number of moisturizers lining my bathroom cabinet. When applied to dry spots many of these moisturizers tend to sit there and then just slip away making no difference to the skin. Most of them do well when they’re not challenged, but can’t do much in the face of really dry skin - Avene Cold Cream can!

There’s a small point on one side of the lid that cleanly penetrates the foil protecting the cream when you’re ready to use it. (Avene thinks of everything!)

Admittedly I wasn’t very hopeful because I was remembering my mother’s jar (small tub would be more accurate) of cold cream which left her face greasy. I remember poking in that jar as a child and wanting no part of it. There is absolutely no resemblance between that cold cream and this efficacious potion!

First of all, the Avene Cold Cream is a silky soft cream that easily glides on to hydrate and protect. It’s a wonderful base for concealer and foundation if used in the a.m., and perfect for healing, calming skin if used at bedtime.

My mother would have loved this Cold Cream, and I do, too.

Great product. I have acne-prone combination skin, with an oily t-zone, which is at the same time the dryest part of my face (no idea how that is possible, but that's what it is). My t-zone is red because of the dryness. I use the Avene cold cream on the dryest parts of my face and most of the redness has gone! Also, it doesn't break me out, which was why it took my so long to try it out on my face. I had bought it initially for my hands, but found that it was difficult to distribute evenly. However, on the face it smooths out fine, perhaps because I use just multiple tiny amounts of product.
The packaging is one of those metal tubes, which means that air won't go back into the tube. Cheap too, around €10,-.

I LOVE this product. I use chemical peels at home every 4 days (glycolic/lactic and salicylic acid interchangeably) and this cream is the only product that keeps my skin smooth and without dry patches. It is VERY rich and comes in a small tube, but since I use it only occasionally it's definitely worth the price. It's also perfect to put under your nose after a cold or when your skin is sore. It doesn't break me out and I have very acne-prone skin (thus the peels). However, for my everyday moisturizer I use Dermalogica Active Moist.

on 5/20/2014 5:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was my first Avene product.

The packaging makes me feel so fancy, it's kind of in a really nice metal tube. I had to ask my husband how to open it cause i'm a dummy--the top of the lid can be turned around to poke the top of the spout on the tube. Pretty neat.

It smells fantastic. Also makes you feel really fancy. But I'm not sure how I feel on the product. My skin has a whole slew of issues--including redness, inflammation and being easily irritated with rosacea.

Application sucks. I suspect because of the beeswax it's pretty waxy going on. I kind of hate putting it on cause it feels like I have to use more effort/force to get it smooth. But it soaks in nicely,

I think Avene uses some sort of orange oil for fragrance? I'm not 100% but I suspect that's why my rosacea flares just a bit. Citrus is usually a cause behind redness, and citrus in general is bad for skin but I figured it was just a bit for fragrance so I bought the cold cream anyway. It's bearable but one of my skin priorities is reducing and preventing redness.

To be honest, because of the orange oil I suspect they use for fragrance I probably won't buy any more Avene. I'm still some what eyeing another product, I can't decide if I'll try it or not now.

on 3/1/2014 11:07:00 AM

I had itchy, dry and reddish-looking skin patches after trying out a new cleanser from another brand. So, I decided to try Cold Cream. Initially, upon application, the product didn't get absorbed quickly and the surface of my skin looked oily and sticky. Amazingly, after 2-3 hours in an air-conditioned room, the product was absorbed and most of the red patches on my skin was almost gone. I would not use it during the day as it makes my face look really oily and since the temperature in my country is hot and humid during the day it would be difficult for the cream to get absorbed. But I would use it as a night cream for the dry patches on my skin. Anyway, what matters is that the product really works for dry irritated skin.

on 1/11/2014 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is just a great product for easily irritated and dry skin. I use it alone or with the Cicalfate Cream depending on how my skin feels. Makeup goes on smoothly and skin stays dewy but not oily.