Avene Cold Cream

Avene  Cold Cream

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (aqua), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, C20-40 Pareth-10, Cetyl Phosphate, Fragrance (parfum), Methylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine

on 3/5/2017 7:15:00 PM

I love LOVE this cold cream. My skin is a combination of oily esp on my T zone, dry and flakey, acne prone and sensitive.
When you have oily and acne prone skin, you're afraid to try this out at first because this cold cream's texture is SO thick. You just can't help but wonder whether it'll break you out or not. I first heard of this product when my idol (Eva Green) uses it because her skin is so sensitive and dry as well. I am well aware every person is different but i thought I'll give it a try nevertheless because none other products works and I've been struggling so even if this product fail, ive got nothing to lose but its been amazing

Its meant to be use in the winter but my skin truly is dry and flakey, i just use it all year long. When you first put it on, the texture is so thick and it makes your face looks very oily like its been slathered in oil (not really a bad thing since olive and coconut oil is good to remove make up and they are very hydrating) but i didnt really mind since i used this at night for sleep. The oiliness look will fade by time, so dont worry. When i wake up, my skin really looks moisturised and my dry patches are healed and it didn't break me out. I use this before i put on my make up too, just put it on ahead of time so the oily look will fade.

My best friend tried it on too and it works great for her! But also, beware, as i said not everyone's skin will agree because her friend tried it on and it broke her out (maybe because of its thick, creamy texture) but giving this a 'green light' was a good decision and i would definitely repurchase it.

on 1/19/2017 4:20:00 PM

For the most stubborn dry patches- but it is thick and slightly greasy looking.

Would only use during the night or mixed in with another lighter moisturizer during the day :)

Full review here:

on 10/16/2016 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I have very sensitive and dry skin. Yes this made my skin not dry BUT very greasy. Hated the texture. And i think after trying this a whil weirdly my face hair (those very tiny if we look in the mirror kind of hairs) actually stood up! I have no idea why. So it was a waste for me to buy it.

on 12/1/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a fantastic no frills moisturiser for my eczema prone severely dry skin. Having dry and really tight skin - no flakiness that some dry skin sufferers experience - many dry skin creams don't make the cut as they do not remove the tightness from my skin and are just not nourishing enough.

Avene's cold cream's texture is luxuriously creamy and thick so I would only recommend this for dry to very dry skin types. It provides instant hydration, alleviates that horrid dry skin tightness and leaves my skin feeling really comfortable. The name is befitting "cold cream" - it has a cooling effect on your skin and it has a lovely smell, very old school and classic"!

During the harsh Scottish winter, my skin is severely dry and tight, so much so that I slather my skin in oil and apply this on top - the result leaves my skin gloriously greasy and nourished! Used on it's own though it isn't greasy but still nourishing. Don't be afraid to use it under makeup - if a small amount is used and rubbed in, it does make a good make up base.

Also, this doesn't irritate my eczema - i was recommended Avene's special eczema line - which oddly irritated my skin - and surprised the adviser when i told her I used this as she said this should irritate my skin due to its fragrance! The UK online Avene team are fantastic - if you are unsure, get in touch and they will send you samples based on your skin type.

The main ingredients are mineral oil, beeswax and Avene's thermal spring water which is supposedly meant to be high in minerals antioxidants. There is a lot of controversy surrounding mineral oil, and having tried many alternatives - natural oils, natural butters - I have found it is the only ingredient that leaves my skin comfortable - something i crave from my moisturiser. It also doesn't have a huge ingredients list - very minimal ingredients which is why i think it is great for sensitive skin types. Barring the thermal water, the cream doesn't - nor does it claim to - have any high end ingredients, so I always add some cold press organic oil (e.g a drop of pai rosehip oil) to the moisturiser to provide some extra nutrients.

The tube idea is fantastic - hence no need for parabens - BUT it is in a metal tub which often cracks and results in product leaking out! This can be avoided by ensuring you squeeze the tube from the end when using the product (kind of like you do with your toothpaste). The price is reasonable - I usually buy online when it is discounted.

on 10/15/2015 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin has been so dry, rough, uncomfortable and nothing works (DDML+, Kheils ultra, PC moisture boost, cicalfate, amlactin, weleda almond oil, etc. etc.). I got a sample of this and tried it in the evening after washing. It didn't spread well- felt thick but not too moist, and immediately had a matte/velvety look(but in bad way, I like a sheen b/c my skin is so dry). Within 1min, I couldn't tell I had even put anything on. There was not even a protective/filmy feel, my skin just sucked it up and remained dry and rough. Usually when this happens, nothing improves over time. A few hours later when I went to sleep, still the same. I was disappointed. Went to sleep (smelling kind of retro, old lady like, this stuff is highly fragrant, fyi) But, surprise...!!

In the morning my skin was much softer! Not perfect or normal, but a lot better. With every other moisturizer, I'm dry by the time I wake up, even if it went on nicely...it just doesn't last long enough. I didn't wash my face in the morning b/c I wanted to see how long this would last. In the evening 6pm, my skin still felt soft, about the same as the morning.

So, this one seems to take a while (4-5+ hours?) to work, but easily lasts 24 hours. I will keep using AM and PM a few days and update. But, for now I give it 3 lippies, it worked better than anything so far, but the smell isn't great (no irritation, but I'm not sensitive to fragrance- just really don't like useless extra ingredients), it takes a while to kick in (at least first time), and its a pretty basic formula.

That said, given how quickly it sunk in and left no grease, it might work well for combo/slightly dry types with no waiting.

on 6/23/2015 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great cream! I use it as a night cream and as a day cream in winter for some areas of my face.
Really cheap and lasts for a long time.
Very greasy but it never gave me pimples of any sort.

on 12/12/2014 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine

This cold cream is quite heavy as a moisturiser but is very good for areas of dry skin. It has a rather sickly smell that I'm not so fond of but otherwise it's a pretty good product.

on 12/4/2014 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

“Cold snap” is certainly the right word - when the temperature dove in our area my skin certainly felt the snap and suddenly dried. It’s almost embarrassing to list the number of moisturizers lining my bathroom cabinet. When applied to dry spots many of these moisturizers tend to sit there and then just slip away making no difference to the skin. Most of them do well when they’re not challenged, but can’t do much in the face of really dry skin - Avene Cold Cream can!

There’s a small point on one side of the lid that cleanly penetrates the foil protecting the cream when you’re ready to use it. (Avene thinks of everything!)

Admittedly I wasn’t very hopeful because I was remembering my mother’s jar (small tub would be more accurate) of cold cream which left her face greasy. I remember poking in that jar as a child and wanting no part of it. There is absolutely no resemblance between that cold cream and this efficacious potion!

First of all, the Avene Cold Cream is a silky soft cream that easily glides on to hydrate and protect. It’s a wonderful base for concealer and foundation if used in the a.m., and perfect for healing, calming skin if used at bedtime.

My mother would have loved this Cold Cream, and I do, too.

Great product. I have acne-prone combination skin, with an oily t-zone, which is at the same time the dryest part of my face (no idea how that is possible, but that's what it is). My t-zone is red because of the dryness. I use the Avene cold cream on the dryest parts of my face and most of the redness has gone! Also, it doesn't break me out, which was why it took my so long to try it out on my face. I had bought it initially for my hands, but found that it was difficult to distribute evenly. However, on the face it smooths out fine, perhaps because I use just multiple tiny amounts of product.
The packaging is one of those metal tubes, which means that air won't go back into the tube. Cheap too, around €10,-.

I LOVE this product. I use chemical peels at home every 4 days (glycolic/lactic and salicylic acid interchangeably) and this cream is the only product that keeps my skin smooth and without dry patches. It is VERY rich and comes in a small tube, but since I use it only occasionally it's definitely worth the price. It's also perfect to put under your nose after a cold or when your skin is sore. It doesn't break me out and I have very acne-prone skin (thus the peels). However, for my everyday moisturizer I use Dermalogica Active Moist.