Conair Medium Spiral Rollers

1 review

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Unlike the other two reviewers, I L-O-V-E these rollers. I'd go so far as to call them life changing. I have straight, baby fine hair that has never been able to hold curl well. Growing up, I tried curling irons and curlers and got limp results that lasted only a couple of hours. Even professional stylists had to load my hair up with beauty pageant levels of product to get good, lasting results. So I've spent most of my life with straight, boring hair. But now with these, I can get gorgeous curls and waves that last with very little effort and minimal product. I couldn't be happier.

The other two reviewers mentioned that their hair was still damp in the morning which makes me think their hair was too wet when they started out. Your hair should be somewhat damp when you roll your hair, but never EVER wet. Unless you have really thin hair and do small sections, hair can't dry properly when it's bunched up tightly together. That's true when you try to dry your hair in twists, buns and braids too. You need to let your hair dry most of the way (either on its own or with a blow dryer) before you roll it. How damp you can get away with depends on your hair type, length, how many hours of sleep you get and how large your sections are when you roll. I roll my hair using big sections on very few rollers (3-5 depending on the look I'm going for), so I either air dry wet hair until it's just barely damp or start with dry hair that I've lightly sprayed. If you're a beginner, it's better to err on the side of dry. Hair that's rolled when it's too dry will still curl, though not as tightly and the curls won't last quite as long. Hair that's too damp to dry completely over night though will leave you with curls that fall right out and may even look frizzy.

These curlers work well with freshly washed hair (assuming you give it time to dry some first!) and 2nd day hair. Using styling products isn't necessary, but I do sometimes use a setting lotion or mousse first if I want tighter, bouncier curls. After I take my rollers out (making sure to let my curl fall off the roller rather than unrolling it all the way) I just use a little serum to tame any pillow produced frizz and a light spritzing of hair spray. How long my curls last depends on how damp my hair was when I rolled it and how many rollers I used (fewer rollers=bigger sections=looser curls). I get at least 5-6 hours out of them, but even after they fall they fall into very pretty waves that are still visible the next day.

A few more tips: if you're having trouble keeping your ends on the rod, consider how you're rolling your hair. Flexirods are great in that they can be used to produce different curl patterns depending on the size of the rod and how you coil your hair on the roller, but some methods are more secure than others. If you can't keep your ends in on their own, try a rolling pattern that leads to the ends being tucked underneath the length of your hair. When I was first starting out and wasn't very skilled at rolling, I liked to hold the roller about half way down the length of my hair and then manually wrap the lower part of my hair on the roller. After the lower part was in place I rolled the curler to my scalp with the upper part covering the wrapped hair, and then folded in the ends of the curler. This produces a very secure hold and shouldn't need any pins or hair spray. If your curler still feels loose after doing it this way, undo the ends of the curler and roll it a little closer to the scalp before folding the ends in the opposite direction that you had them before.

Also, while some people can comfortably sleep on these many cannot. If you (like me!) can't sleep on rollers just place the rollers in places where your head won't be hitting the pillow. I'm a side sleeper, so I put all of mine either just on top of my head (I'll pull my hair up into a ponytail first and put rollers in the tail) or on the top and back. If you're a back sleeper you might put them on either just the top or on the top and sides. Rolling this way may mean that your curls will start further away from the scalp than if you put them all over, but that's the look many people prefer anyway.

I've tried many no-heat curl and wave methods over the past year and this is easily my favorite. It's the fastest/easiest for me to do at night, easiest to customize, and the most reliable. I enthusiastically recommend this method to everyone and Conair's rollers in particular. I've bought similar rollers from Sally's but I don't like them as much. Conair's are a little stiffer which makes them easier to work with.

Popular Styling Products