Face of Australia - Face Base Primer

Face of Australia - Face Base Primer

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought the purple bottle, without the SPF factor.

Texture
Texture is light, almost watery, and lotion-like. Be careful when you squeeze the tube, you'll probably get more product than you expected. It sinks in quickly. It's lightly moisturising. It smooths out the skin texture without the distinctive feel of silicone-based primers.

Does it play well with sunscreen?
Yes. Yes. Yes! This was once of the main reasons I bought a primer. I'm currently using the Rhoto Skin Aqua Sunscreen (aka Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Essence SPF50+ on Makeupalley). While this is an elegantly formulated sunscreen, foundation occasionally looks just a bit streaky if I slap it on in a hurry. The primer sits beautifully on top of sunscreen and forms a smooth barrier for my silicone-based foundation to blend the way it dreams to blend.

Does it prevent makeup from creasing?
Yes, foundation and concealer doesn't separate and melt around my nostrils or my chin. But it won't perfect flaky skin texture. It'll provide some moisture, but perhaps a more heavy duty primer will be better suited.

Scent
It has a mild herbal scent that fades on application. It reminds me of the Caudalie Beauty Elixir.

I love this primer. It is definitely a dupe for napoleon perdis's.auto pilot but even better. Napoleon's is too thin and takes a while to sink in and is more of an expensive moisturiser than a primer. This primer also has sunscreen and is excellent at creating a smooth canvas without adding oil, shine. I am onto my second tube plus i got from big w for $5. Awesome stuff. I dont lije face of australia's foundation range though.

on 12/23/2015 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

OMG. This primer is awesome. I have acne prone, dry, big pore skin and it doesn't cause me breakouts or make me greasy. Sales girl told me the ingredient list is identical to the high priced napoleon perdis face primer at a fraction of the cost Defo my HG primer from now on.

on 7/18/2014 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I've got the purple version of this primer. I've got very oily skin, and this primer helps the oil at bay. Whenever I wear this primer, my foundation (any foundation) looks quite dewy and not completely matte (which I don't mind). The lasting power is awesome, and I love how it is oil free. The packaging is hygienic and practical. I've already bought a backup of this product and I would highly recommend this product.

on 6/3/2014 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I like this primer. I got the oil free version and it didn't break me out. It helped my make up stay on all day. It made my skin soft. However, it didn't close poures or remove imperfections nor was my skin evened out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Does nothing more than a moisturiser. Didnt act like a primer at all.

on 3/31/2014 6:35:00 AM

I have tried Benefit's Porefessional. Hourglass. And a bunch of other silicone based primers. Initially, I thought primers served to smoothen the skin and create a barrier between your skin and foundation so your foundation can glide on - look smooth and flawless. With Benefit's Porefessional and L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur, I definitely saw the flawless foundation effect and silky face feeling but it didn't help AT ALL with the longevity of my foundation.

I needed a primer to help with the longevity of my foundation. I found that throughout the day my face would become an oily mess, especially down my T-zone. The foundation around my nose and laugh lines would separate and look blotchy. Blush would vanish. When I touched my face, I felt foundation on my hands! My natural oils had broken down my foundation. I tried a bunch of different foundations and gave up. (I kept thinking that buying different foundations would fix the issue).

THEN I READ ABOUT THIS MAGIC STUFF and decided.. at $8-12AUD... I didn't have much to lose. I would like to deeply thank all the MUAers that wrote reviews on this product because otherwise.. I would have ended buying foundation after foundation hoping one would work for me. This primer doesn't give the siliconey feel but it does ease the application of foundation.

This primer is very light and almost like a moisturiser but works fantastically. Previously.. my foundation would barely make the 4-5 hour mark. With this primer, I managed to get through an 8 hour shift at work! My make up still looked nice, albeit the slight shine down my T-zone.

Buy it and see the difference for yourself! If like me, you've given up on silky siliconey feeling primers! Target, K-mart usually have $3 off FOA products.

EDIT: I bought the one in the purple packaging, without SPF, because I like to use my own SPF. I apply moisturiser, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen (WAIT FOR IT TO DRY!), FOA Primer followed by my foundation right away whilst primer is still tacky. I split a tissue in half, blot any excess foundation off my face. Concealer. Powder face with Rimmel Stay Matte and this base will not budge.

For reference, I will mention. My face is normal/oily. It is only oily down the T-zone.
This primer works well with all the foundations I own. Here they are listed from dewy finish to most long lasting/matte. I'd like to mention, I couldn't use Covergirl 3-in-1 before cos it would accentuate every dry patch but this primer makes it possible.
Bourjois Healthy Mix
L'oreal True Match
Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I can't say this does anything more than what a good moisturiser would. It has a lotion texture with a very slight silicone feel, so it does provide a nice smooth base for foundation to glide on, however this does nothing to control my oily t-zone which is what I need from a primer. I think this could work well for normal-dry skin types to prep the skin so that the foundation doesn't fade off in patches on drier areas. But for more oily skin types, this doesn't do much in terms of oil-controlling properties that prevent oil or sweat breaking through sooner and for the foundation to 'stick' to the skin and not slide off.

Overall, I think this is more suited to normal-dry skin types. It's very affordable and actually is an exact dupe for Napoleon Perdis' Auto Pilot Primer so it's a great buy but because of my skin type I would not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This primer just didn't work for me at all. I have a oily t zone and when ever I apply this under my foundation, it helps my oily skin eat through my foundation. My foundation honestly stays on from much longer when I don't use this. Oh well, more primer hunting

on 2/19/2014 6:36:00 PM

A cheap product that does the job and does not break me out (is oil-free). Has a gentle, herbal scent that is not at all irritating. Feels nice and cool when applied to the skin.
Comes in a tube with a slightly flimsy cap, but I will not complain for the price. Will recommend.