Olay Fresh Effects Satin Finish Lotion

Olay Fresh Effects Satin Finish Lotion

3.8

water/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, glycerin, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, niacinamide,dimethicone, dimethicone crosspolymer, prop ylene glycol, polyethylene, butylene glycol, acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, panthenol, titanium dioxide, c13-14 isoparaffin, mica, phenoxythanol, polysorbate 20, laureth-7, dimethiconol, bensopehnone-4, methylparaben, proplyparaben, fragrance/parfum, ethylparaben, disodium edta, sodium hydroxide, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, yellow 5, red 40

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Yes yes yes. I tried this because it was on sale and immediately went to buy 3 backups. If that doesn't communicate how much I like this I don't know what will. It's not oily, really is a true satin, works well under makeup, dries down and isn't sticky and actually moisturises the skin. The lotion looks almost shimmery, when you pump it out its yellowy and when you spread on your hand it's pinkish, peculiar but doesn't translate to the skin this way. Gives the most natural healthy and truly satin finish.
Doesnt break me out at all which is something I find moisturisers such as simple (which sits on the skin and doesnt absorb and pills under makeup) tend to do. It's really just great and easy to use, convenient packaging, smells pleasant and has a nice pump to deliver a good amount for both the face, neck and chest and a little really does go a long way!

on 7/15/2016 12:18:00 AM

EDIT: I have spent a fortune on oil/oil free moisturisers to find one that does not break me out considering I have oily/acne prone skin, and a big 5 stars to the fact that this product does not break me out at all (it is non comedogenic). It acts as a primer under makeup, as it stops me becoming oily! at first it did ball up on dry patches of my skin, but with gentle exfoliation beforehand and frequent use of the product stopped this for me. Another problem I had at first was the fact it didn't feel very moisturising, but as i said with frequent use this product became my absolute hoily grail!!!
As a person with so much acne it is very hard to find a a product that can be moisturising enough to not break me out, and if you prefer a lightweight feel then this is for you. The price isn't too bad but I do believe this is one of the best moisturisers for acne and oily skin out there! My local woolworths and several pharmacys suddenly stopped stocking this product, so i personally messaged Olay and they told me this product is now only available at Coles :) hope this helps girls!

on 2/22/2016 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this product. Although I'm not sure whether it mattifies my skin or not, it definitely hydrates it really well while controlling oil. I use this with the Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser (sometimes the Garnier Micellar Water) and they work really well together. Leaves my skin soft, smooth, never sticky, and I like how it feels more like a light gel than a lotion. 10/10 would recommend, however it can be a little hard to find in NZ supermarkets unfortunately......

on 2/17/2016 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Awesome, awesome, awesome product! One of the only moisturizers I have ever tried that moisturizes without being greasy or taking forever to dry. This looks awesome under make up, I actually use it as my primer now. I have very sensitive skin and this hasn't caused any issues so far. Light scent, but nothing too overbearing. Just an overall great product! Not to mention the awesome pump application.

I am currently using this product after a massive breakout after nine months. I wrote a post about how I stopped breaking out and the methods I used that helped. If you are interested in the post feel free to read the complete review of this product and my current routine and methods :) http://bombinate-kate.blogspot.ca

The review:
This lotion has a very good mattifying effect, it reduces excessive shine on the face very well. The effect also lasts throughout the day, along with the hydration it provides. I find my face still feeling supple even after six hours.

After I started using this product, the amount of breakouts I was experiencing began to decrease. But I'm not exactly sure if it's because of this product, or merely because I stopped overwhelming my face with complex routines that involves a number of different products. Nevertheless, I find that this product have somewhat stabilized my skin and did not act as a source of irritant.

The Application:
One pump of this lightweight gel-like moisturizer is enough for the entire face. The texture is very light and easy to apply all over the face. One neat thing about the texture is that the lotion first comes out in a creamy white color with a little bit of shine in it, but as you dab some of it on to your skin/face, the color changes into a light pink tone that looks almost transparent on your skin. I don't really know if this is suppose to do anything, but I thought the effect was pretty cool.

Conclusion
Olay's Fresh Effect Moisturizer is a very basic lotion. It has great mattifying effect that reduces excessive shine. Despite having somewhat of a fragrance, and the color changing effect that could act as an irritant, it did not break me out. For the purpose of this review, I find that this product has helped me in achieving the desired results I was looking for. Combined with a simpler routine, this product have helped me in the stabilization of my skin.

Quick Summary
Pros
- Light weight, gel-like texture
- Good mattifying effect
- Good base for foundation application
- Keeps the face matte and hydrated throughout the day
- Helped me in stabilizing my skin
- Has a color changing effect which I find to be pretty neat, but it could also be an irritant
- Inexpensive

Cons
- Fragrance, could be a potential irritant
- Artificial coloring that could also cause irritations
- Contains Paraben

I bought this in at a chemist while on holiday because I had run out of my former day moisturiser. The price was reasonable and it came in an easy pump bottle (hooray!)

It has a faint and fairly nice smell, (I won't attempt to add a description here) and is not overly thick or watery. When I apply it on my face, it does indeed have some kinda satiny, velvety feel and looks not too shiny. I don't think it has legendary moisturising properties - suitable for the oily skin team, although sadly I did experience an increase in my pimple population after using this lotion.

Looking closely at the lotion in the light the l found the lotion seems to have sparkles/glittter/shimmer and I'm pretty sure that aint good for the skin...
The glitter doesn't actually show when rubbed in, but i am not wanting a moisturiser with miniature sparkles in it, thank you very much..

I love this product but the only thing is that it makes my skin itch and brake out but overall it makes my skin feel better and hydrated

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Hands down the best moisturizer to wear under makeup, especially if you have oily skin.

For once in my life, I don't have anything bad to say about a product. The pump packaging is a God send, it has a light fresh scent, and leaves the skin feeling moisturized and not greasy. Some have apparently experienced it balling up on the skin, but I've had no issue with that, so maybe theirs were expired?

I'm not really all that picky about moisturizers, I just want something that isn't greasy, and does what it says it will do. This went above and beyond my expectations. It works flawlessly under makeup, and in my experience, even extends the wear of my foundation.

If you're sensitive to fragrance in skincare, maybe steer clear, since this does have a fragrance in it. I usually avoid scented skincare because of my sensitive skin, but I've been using this for just over a month and haven't had a bad reaction.

on 3/18/2015 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great product if it's what you are looking for. It's not a good product for me but it's still a great product for other people IMHO. I have dry, sensitive skin that tends to peel around the nose if it's not properly moisturized. I also have red cheeks that wont go away. As I need a lot of moisture, this is not a good product for me, at least in the winter. My skin is not moisturized enough with that. It's definitively a light moisturizer and not a heavy one.

With that said, this is a good product. It leaves the skin smooth and not completely matte without looking greasy. I think it's like a MLBB *my lips but better* kind of product, but for the skin, so I guess a MSBB *my skin but better* product. It's light, feels good on the skin, let the skin breathe and smell alright. It's also a great product under foundation, if you do not use a primer because it makes the skin super smooth. I would recommend it for people going for a natural look or a no-makeup makeup look.

The packaging is great, I love when a company use an hygienic pump, and I think that the packaging is young and pretty. Definitively doesn't look like a higher end product thought. Also, it can be pricy if you're not careful, I've seen it as expensive as 16 $ CAN one time so be mindful of the price and look for specials!

I've found that this product balls up when used with a silicone product. It makes little balls OR if you're using a finishing powder like E.l.f. HD or MUFE HD, it makes the powder balls up in tiny tiny powder balls. I'm guessing it's because the water is the first ingredient in this product and it makes a reaction with silicone, but I'm not sure. If this product balls up on your face, I suggest trying to make it work with another product than the one you were using that day. It may work and then you'll not have to throw it in the trash! Try it :)

I might try to purchase it again in the summer if I want something light but still moisturizing but for now I'll get a heavier day lotion.

on 2/12/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I hate this product. It smells weird, the texture is awful and it's done nothing for my face.

I bought it out of frustration more than anything, needing a moisturiser but not knowing what to get.

I hate the way it feels on my skin, I hate the way it balls up when I try to spread it out on my face. It dries funny, can't be used under makeup and just doesn't do anything for my skin.

I went out and bought a different Olay moisturiser that was cheaper and I am much happier with the results.