MAC Mocha

MAC Mocha
MAC satin lipstick in Mocha

4.4

on 6/20/2018 10:48:00 AM

This is kind of a difficult color to describe, and the online swatches as well as just looking at the actual lipstick bullet don't really match how it looks on my lips. The review that calls it a "peachy-brown with hints of warm pink" is pretty spot on. Also, I think whether or not this shade works for you is completely dependent on your skin tone, which is a given for most lipsticks, but more so than usual. I am medium olive, pretty tan in the summer, and this comes off as a darker yet still mid-level nude on me. There is just enough contrast with my skin + that elusive perfect peachiness to differentiate it from other nudes, and the little bit of pink keeps it from clashing with my skin.

The MAC Satin lipstick formula is always one of my favorites. Opaque, matte-ish but not flat, long lasting for a standard lipstick formula. Low maintenance. For some reason, Mocha is a little more drying than my other Satins, but it's not bad at all. Doesn't need a liner, but I prefer one with it. I have a NYX lip liner in Nude Truffle that is at a 8/10 level of perfect match (enough for me to not seek out a new one lol).

I'm vibing with Mocha right now because it's very Monsoon Wedding, very gypsy caravan-esque, but without the overt drama of, say, a deep red/rust/wine lip. This is going to sound weird, but it emits this like gilded jewelery box aura and if it works with your skin tone, it will radiate that aura to the rest of your face. I'm guessing it's that perfect balance of peach and pink. It's subtle enough for work & still 'enough' for night time. Definitely try this one on before buying though!

on 5/24/2018 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This has unexpectedly become my holy grail MLBB peachy-brown (with hints of warm pink) everyday nude lipstick that doesn't look too "I've got lipstick on" but more of a nice, accentuating put-together look. I LOVE THIS LIPSTICK SO MUCH. I'd highly recommend trying it on if you have asian/tan skin with peachy undertones, and are looking for a peachy brown nude. Especially on my pigmented lips, the colour of the lipstick is definitely different to the way it looks when I actually put it on. To me it looks darker in the tube and more light and butterscotch-y on my lips - but with enough hints of warm pink to compliment my skin tone rather than clash with it. If you have a lighter skin tone, it may look a little darker, less like a nude and more like a 90's 'toast of new york' brown lip (but not too sure and I guess it always depends). If you try it at the store, I'd recommend walking around and seeing the lipstick in different lights as under the cool white mirror light the lipstick looked a bit mauvy pink, but in natural light I remember thinking whoah, it's actually more warm nude. I love that it's a Satin finish, as that's my favourite lipstick finish from MAC (feels comfortable and doesn't look too shiny or too mute - nice natural texture). On me that means it lasts long enough that I only need to reapply around lunch (and after work if I'm going out) but doesn't dry out my lips. The colour is nice and pigmented, but also buildable. Also, I gave the price 4/5 instead of 5 because it is still technically a little expensive, but I'd still say it's worth the money for the overall quality. I don't usually post reviews but I seriously had to write a review on this one, that's how much I love it. I hope it stays in the MAC lipstick collection forever!

on 1/12/2018 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This was my attempt at a nude lip for my Indian complexion but I realized that I need something with a bit more pink. This is way too "orange" of a nude on me and not flattering at all. But that's why it's getting reviewed! Cause it's going in the bin!

Color is a very individual thing, though. In general, I like MAC lipsticks, and although there are matte lippies out there with way better staying power, I appreciate that MAC offers basically every gradation of every color under the sun and they're not that expensive. That's nice when you're looking for the perfect red, mauve, nude, etc. I also adore the bullet like tubes (I'm a sucker for retro chic.) and appreciate the price, which isn't horrible for a HE lipstick.

on 10/30/2017 10:11:00 PM

Lipsticks are very tricky. I'm NC41 in powder foundation by MAC (not exact) Bobbi Brown natural tan is a decent match for me. So, based on my foundation shades, I see that mocha is the holy grail shade for many women who are my color. But unfortunately this one washes me out and makes me look dead. Not like velvet teddy which is lighter than my skin tone and so washes me out, but this not lighter yet does not work. One of the reviewers mentioned 'retro'. After mocha I tried retro and this is my holy grail lipstick. To give a perspective, I carry most true pink lipsticks well. Dusty pink art stick, Bobbi Brown tulle, dior Rose rose etc. So mocha may have more peachy hues for me. So, always try on before you get one for yourself.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product is just ok. It's a nice pinky, coral shade. On my NC42 skin it can wash me out a little. I can't wear this without a lip liner. My favorite Mac neutral shades would have to be taupe, which is a bit browner and brick o la, which is bit berrier. These look fantastic on my skin tone.

on 3/16/2017 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Love this color, and it looks very nice on the lips. This doesn't last too long however and it has that slight "dry" feeling I find all MAC lipsticks have... Though it looks way too sophisticated and nice to not use. Perfect everyday lipstick, highly recommend! Taupe by MAC is similar in shade, a bit browner. As is Persistance by MAC

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

... "If I ran out or lost this product would I buy it again?" YESSSS!! And again and again and again and again!! This is my Ride or Die lipstick, a peachy brown nude on my NC43 skintone and I wear it under EVERYTHING for my lipstick cocktails!! I'd be lost without it!! It's a satin that acts like a matte on my lips allowing all other lipsticks to stay on longer. It also tones down the other more brighter lipstick colors without changing the color all the while making them more wearable for me!! It's my holy grail, can't live without lipstick. If you want to hear more, take the ride with me, come on, jump on it, I know you wanna!!

on 9/4/2016 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Great color for nc42 skin, looks like a nude on me. Quite pricey, over R200 in south Africa. I got a wet n wild lipstick in the color sand storm and it's an excellent dupe!! In fact I like it better than the mac mocha and will no longer repurchase mac mocha.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Coarse

It's a pretty peachy brown I find the color not that Unique enough to Spend $17 on thought It looks awesome with Mac cork liner.

on 8/3/2016 10:53:00 AM

I love the colour and the texture of the lipstick a lot. But the only bad thing about this lipstick is that it dries out my lips like crazy. I tried wearing lip balms, bases... everything but it just didn't help.