MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF 15

MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF 15
MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF15 Foundation in NC20

3.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5%, Titanium Dioxide 2%. Inactive: Water, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Triethylhexanoin, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Squalane, Silica, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lysine, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Phytantriol, Octyldodecyl PCA, Sodium PCA, Trehalose, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Chloride, Simethicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, Tin Oxide, Urea, Triacetin, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 1/29/2017 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought this because I was looking for a light-medium foundation for my super dry skin. When I tried this in the store the color match was perfect. NC15 is exactly the right color.

I noticed something weird as I was walking around the store, giving it some time to see whether or not my skin liked it. The SA put waaaay too much on and my face looked cakey and gross so I took that into account when I was walking around the store.

A few minutes after application my face started feeling as if the foundation was sucking all of the moisture out of my skiin. It was not comfortable. The SA asked what moisturizer I used and I told her a face oil. She asked when the last time I exfoliated and I said it had been about a month. We attributed it to that. Big mistake.

That night I exfoliated, put face oil on, let it sink in to my skin, put my favorite primer on and applied the foundation with a stippiling brush. It still felt dry and looked like it was sitting on top of my skin.

I posted here and a very kind poster suggested I mix it with a drop of oil before applying. OMG - that made all the difference! It sheered out the foundation and my skin didn't feel dry.

Two lippies because even though it's a great color match, I shouldn't have to use a second product to make it look good.

on 1/27/2017 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is touted as a foundation for dry-skinned folks, but I'm combination-skinned with an extra-oily t-zone, and this foundation is my winter HG!

A little about my skin: I have an oily t-zone and dry cheeks, with sensitive skin due to my rosacea and sebborheic dermatitis. So trying to find a foundation that my skin plays well with is pretty much a nightmare for me. I usually moisturize my face with a toner, emulsion, ampuole, and moisturizer (just on my cheeks) before applying foundation.

Pros:
- It comes with the pump top (as opposed to some of MAC's other foundations, for which you need to buy the pump top separately).
- It applies amazingly with a beautyblender and melts into the HUGE pores on my nose and cheeks without looking cakey. I think this may be because my t-zone is so oily. Yay? Two to three pumps is enough for my whole face.
- It's sheer-to-medium coverage, kind of like a BB cream/tinted moisturizer or a cushion foundation. So if you like full-coverage foundation, this isn't for you.
- It also has a dewey finish when you first put it on, but the finish becomes more of a semi-dewey finish later on in the day. I personally like this since my t-zone is oily so my skin plays better with semi-matte finishes, but I don't think that this effect is beneficial for those with dry skin.
- Doesn't crease around my smile lines like some other heavy-coverage foundations do, so YAY!

Cons:
- Applies TERRIBLY and looks really streaky with any brush I've ever tried it with (Artisse oval, paddle brushes, stipple brushes, angled foundation brushes, kabuki brushes, and even my fingers!), but it applies fabulously with a beautyblender. I almost tossed it out until I figured this out, thank goodness.
- It's the most expensive option among the MAC foundations... I wonder why? Is it because it comes with the pump top? And to make matters worse, I bought this product while I was abroad and ended up paying $55 USD for it, but it retails for $38 USD in the US. Still, it costs $10 more than MAC's cheapest liquid foundations. Definitely wouldn't purchase this abroad again, but I'd definitely buy it again in the US.
- My shade for this foundation is NC25, but I'm NC20 in MAC's Studio Fix fluid, so there's some inconsistencies in the shades at MAC... be aware of that when you buy, and go into the store to swatch and/or get matched yourself! This is more of a complaint against the brand than the product itself, though.

All in all, I definitely love this product since it makes my skin look glowy and un-cakey, though it's a bit temperamental since it doesn't play well with my makeup brushes :(

on 1/21/2017 8:42:00 AM

Didn't have dry skin before using this product - now I have patches of scaly skin and this foundation CLINGS to it, emphasising it a lot. The colour match is fine, I like the dewiness but I will not be buying this product again.

Even though this has "moisture" in the name and was recommended for my dry skin, I think it's actually quite bad for dry skin. It emphasises my dry patches no matter how much i moisturise and what base/primers I use. The coverage is quite sheer and the foundation is very runny, and while it does have a nice dewy finish it does not last well and tends to separate into dry spots in a very unflattering way. I'm not sure how this could actually be good for dry skin because of the way it emphasises dry patches and but might be too shiny and runny for oily skin. Disappointed with this product and did not find it worth the price.

on 1/12/2017 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I recently ran out of my ride-or-die-all-time-favourite foundation and couldn't seem to find a replacement anywhere. Replacing much beloved makeup products is a pain for everyone, and foundations seem particularly tricky, for me at least. I have kind of strange skin: pale - so pale that I have to mix some white foundation in with my NC15 sometimes to lighten it, yellow, sensitive, prone to redness, dry patches especially during winter time, very shiny if I'm even slightly dehydrated.

Anyway, one of the foundations I bought to try was this one, the MAC Mineralize Moisture foundation. I'm confused, very confused.

PROS:
- The colour is fine: Not every NC15 is yellow enough on me, but this one - with some white mixed in - is good.
- I don't think it has a particularly noticeable scent, which is nice. I'm not bothered by scents per se, but I don't want my foundation to contain lots and lots of perfume - it's just unnecessary and it irritates my skin.
- The packaging is very nice: glass bottle, comes with a pump. (A pump that works just fine and does not get stuck or dispense too much product. I feel like that's worth mentioning for those that have experienced the Pro Longwear Concealer-pump aka the pump from hell. MAC-pumps are a very mixed bag.)
- Has an SPF 15, which is good, unless you're a famous person having your picture taken with flash all day, every day. (I'm not.)

So far, so good.

CONS:
- It's quite expensive, 37,50 euro plus shipping for me.
- Coverage is probably sheer to medium, but it's hard to tell because it's so uneven. I don't mind sheer coverage - I do mind uneven coverage that won't build.
- What really boggles my mind is the texture. At first, on the back of my hand, it looked beautiful. A creamy, golden liquid foundation; shiny, dimethicone:y, gorgeous. But once applied to my face (using an angled buffing brush) it managed to both exaggerate all of my dry areas (even ones that I didn't know I had) AND shine like a huge greasy mess. It didn't properly sink into the skin, it didn't moisturize at all and it didn't set properly, not even with a setting powder - it just gathered around imperfections and flaky bits and sat there, chilling out on top of the skin. Until I put my glasses on or accidentally touched my face with my hands or clothes or anything. This stuff transfers faster than a stomach flu in kindergarten.

I can't even think of another foundation to compare it to for reference. I can't think of ANYTHING to compare it to, actually. It's uniquely weird. To be fair, it's not the worst foundation I've tried (that questionable honor would go to a glittery Rimmel horror show I tried out several years ago), but for the price and for a MAC product, it's just disappointing. It's so bad that I keep wondering if maybe I got an old bottle or used it wrong somehow.

The quest for a new everyday foundation continues.

on 9/5/2016 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have dry skin, and the MAC salesperson recommended this foundation. The coverage is okay. I would describe it as light to medium. However, this dried out my skin horribly, even with wearing a very rich moisturizer underneath. After using it for only a day, I noticed my skin was tighter and more flaky. After 3 days of wear, I had visible flakes on my skin and my skin looked more red and irritated than normal. Now, to use it up I'm mixing a tiny bit in with my bb cream so that the shade matches me in the winter. However, even with that small amount I notice the drying effects. Overall, very poor product for the price.

on 7/29/2016 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Tried this, hated it. Clung to dehydrated patches and wore away in patches throughout the day. I got a little sample of NC13, and the color was nice, application was fine. I have Rosacea and textured, dehydrated patches, between brows and on inner cheeks. Favorite foundations: Clinique redness solutions, Maybelline dream smooth mousse (discont.), NARS sheer glow, Estée Lauder double wear.

on 7/20/2016 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm an NC20 and have been using this foundation for a year. As I have a dry skin, I found this foundation extremely moisturizing. It leaves a dewy beautiful glow for half a day. The reason I took 1 lippie off is because it will turn somewhat very oily after 4-5 hours. So, I have to blot my face once or twice. Comparing to NARS All Day Illuminating Foundation, I think this one does not set on the face as good as Nars'.

OMG.
I am scarred for life because of this foundation. Honestly i have trust issues now. I'm afraid to try out new foundations in fear of repeating my horrible MAC experience.
okay, so maybe that's a little dramatic, but its true. So i went into the MAC store and asked for a sample of any foundation for dry skin, and they recommended this, so i tried it out. and holy crap that was a mistake. I'm in the shade NC25 and when i applied it, it looked fine, so i wore it to school. i was happy and proud of my makeup throughout the day; that is, until i looked in the mirror. it separated and clung to the dry patches on my skin like a leech! even when i took it off, it left my skin horribly dry and tight. it took weeks for me to finally get soft, smooth skin again all because of this stupid foundation.
now i'm too afraid to try NARS sheer glow because it might dry out my skin forever again.

on 6/2/2016 1:22:00 PM

I went to Mac counter at Macy and was match with NC25 and I love it. I have normal to dry skin. Normal in the t-zone and dry at cheeks area. I live in San Diego when it hot and dry my skin will dry out on too moist and hot it will be slice oily in t-zone. This foundation is great for dry skin not oily skin best friend. I like the coverage light to medium due to as I hit 40 years old I prefer light coverage because thick to full coverage foundation make me looked older than I already am. I do set this with Chanel powder and setting spray on humid day but on hot and dry day no powder only primer for dry skin. Great creamy texture and last me all day at work.