NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

4.1

on 5/16/2018 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My review is going to be long so if you can't settle down for story time, skip over this one. I've given this product so much hate for the past 2 months so I owe it to Nars to fix this (I'm not sponsored by anyone, I promise).
I've always been a brush and finger person when it comes to makeup, and I've only ever used Maybelline Age Rewind (apply the product to the back of your hand first, it blends nicer when warmed.) I switched to a beauty blender to save on time but carried on using my fingers for concealer. I heard so much hype based around this product (pretty sure this was one of the bombs before Tarte shape tape) that I was curious and decided to give it a try. I asked for something 1-2 shades lighter than my skin tone so I could be bright but not give off ghostly vibes. I got matched to Custard.
The first two weeks were excellent. It blended like a dream with my fingers and I couldn't stop banging on about it. I drew the classic upside down triangle, blended and set with RCMA no colour powder. I don't bake unless it's a wedding or another event where pictures>cake face. On a normal day, a light dusting of powder does the job. It didn't crease, it was brighter than a drugstore concealer but still flattered my skintone. My eyebags aren't terrible, so this medium coverage is a good pick for me. I haven't attempted to use this to cover spots because it's a bit lighter than my skin tone.
The next time I went to apply concealer, my undereyes looked like what I would describe as "crepy". If you google Tesco crepes and zoom in, memorise that texture and pattern. I kid you not, my undereyes looked a bit like that minus a few lines. I'm only 19, I don't have dry undereyes and loads of lines just yet. First, I blamed myself. I told myself I was being too heavy handed with my eye cream and not giving it enough time to settle down ( I use Mario Badescu hylauronic acid eye cream) so I switched to using the Simple eye roll on. Nope, same issue. At this point I'm running my mouth all over the place about how bad it is, what a waste of money it was etc.
If there's one thing I'm good at, it's not giving up. Or being stubborn. Take it how you will. After watching Brianna Fox's videos, I came to the conclusion that I should mix it with eye cream. On one eye, I dumped on a load of MB eye cream and let it take its time blending in. On the other one, I mixed up the concealer with MB on the back of my hand. This time I went in with the beauty blender. It didn't look too bad, the overloaded eye cream side still saw a touch of crepe here and there. I daresay the mixed side looked smooth, but the area where my eyebag starts right next to my tear duct still looked a bit crusty.
At that point, I lost interest. But here comes exam season which means I did/am doing everything I can to avoid revising. Including making this concealer work for me and typing out a super long review. I would like to point out that I was never a beauty blender person, I never thought there would be a learning curve but guess what, there was: stamp the product, but less pressure and more bouncing. Trust me, very lightly tap. This particular day I started with concealer first, ready to wipe it off should it go wrong. My, my, was I in for a surprise. I started off using MB eye cream (thank you dear sister for knocking the Simple one off the shelf and thank you me for being too lazy to retrieve it) and let that sink in. I decided to stipple the upside down triangle instead, and went in with the butt of my beauty blender instead of the tip. I think one of my many many minor issues at the start was that my beauty blender was too damp. I figured that I'd start at the bottom of the triangle, so closer to my nose and then work up to the undereyes. My theory is that the product soaked into the sponge, making it less damp at this point so I could bounce freely without any product shifting off and no patchiness.
When I was done, I hated my life because I managed to make it work and I was living for how it looked. Because I'm a bitter human and I wanted to still be in the right for hating it, I decided to go about my day without setting it. Much to my horror, it didn't crease at all ( I don't overdo product and I blend very, very well). As I sit here typing, I'm wearing an expression of pure grumpiness because I've mastered this concealer and I've never hated myself more because I know I'll be repurchasing.

on 5/11/2018 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

(Original post 12/01/2017) Although I never buy cosmetic products in a "tube with a wand" packaging (apart for mascara,obvsly), being a germaphobe that I am, I finally gave in to the Nars. The reason - me being very pale and neutral (around NC10) and them carrying the Chantilly shade. Finally I found a purrfect match that I can use as is, hurraaah! So, shade-wise it is very desaturated and neutral beige - imo nothing yellow or pink in it. And unlike my (still HG) undereye concealer by La Prairie in 1 which is a *very* fair pinkish shade, good for color-correcting the under-eye blue circles but alien anywhere else on my neutral complexion. I guess this is actually the first concealer *ever* that is fair enouph for me and saves me from all the fuss of mixing shades or color-correcting with another product. Its neutral beige shade and opacity nicely cancel the red tones of blemishes/ irritation.
Coverage-wise, the Nars is imo easily buildable to full coverage. Never oxidises, barely (if at all, actually) separates on the oily parts of the face even after long hours. Doesn't accentuate/dehydrate further my dryish cheeks. Doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin *at all*. And doesn't AT ALL make me break out. Goes very well with my powder foundation. A possible downside (not for me, though, as I'm very ok with specific-purpose products, also the Nars lacks the color-correcting shade tinge) is that I do agree with those who say that it doesn't work well for under the eyes - I do find that for my thin and dryish skin there the Nars looks unflatteringly dry. I also love that it doesn't feel silicony/slippery/oily (which is maybe why it is too dry for my under-eye area). So, all in all this is my new HG concealer for blemishes.
I even feel bad for my Becca Ultimate coverage which is very different in texture to the Nars and in a full-workday-test performs worse than the Nars; but they should have made the Praline shade fairer, so blame's on themselves. I'll now have to figure out how to use it up - maybe in the summer, as imo it runs in-between the Nars Chantilly and Vanilla.
All in all, i’d give 5+ lippies to the Chantilly shade used on the face.
(Edit 05/11/2018) for my under-eye area: I got really tired of using 2 products for my extreme blue under-eye circles (either la Prairie in #1 and 2, or LP in #1 + a “beige” topper like a nice but slightly creasing Clarins in its terrible messy wasteful tube), and I decided to try the Vanilla shade. Its pinkish undertone and excellent opacity cancel my blue under-eye circles *perfectly* :) And its cool nude shade well works alone, without any additional “beige” product on top (unlike the LP in #1), which streamlines my routine immensely. So, for the under-eye area, color- and coverage-wise it is pure perfection! (btw, for the face, it is much too dark for nc10) However, it is dry! A *very* emmolient moisturizer is a total must, otherwise after several hours the under-eye area starts looking and feeling very dehydrated, which is when it accentuates every line and wrinkle. But with a very good moisturizer underneath it performs beautifully and without creasing (i don’t use setting powder). It doesn’t work with just any emollient moisturizer tho (might peel or break), so finding the right one is quite as task. I still haven’t found the perfect one, so I can’t name the Vanilla my HG :( Even contemplating getting back to the bothersome and expensive but effective LP+ double-layer routine... :(((
Also, both shades have quite a natural, skin-like finish, neither truly matte nor luminous (+- same as LP, but more matte than Mufe ultra HD and the Clarins tube). The application: for blemishes any brush I tried worked great, my favorite are Mufe lip brush (I love the retractable one) for precision and #216-like for sheerer application and larger areas; for under the eyes the finger works surprisingly better than a brush :)

This is so thick and hard to spread for dryer skin under the eyes. It accentuates and settles in fine lines for me and just isn't a great look on my 37yo self. There are so many colors to choose from which is a plus and you only need a small amount so I can see this lasting a while if it works for you.

on 5/2/2018 5:26:00 PM

It’s just alright, not the greatest for the price. I’d rather use a drugstore concealer over this... The coverage is pretty good, it’s so thick that it creases even after setting with a powder. Also, the doe foot applicator is pretty scratchy. I prefer the tarte shapetape and maybelline fit me over this. The packaging is very cute tho

on 4/30/2018 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Finally got mine in "biscuit" and loving it. It hides my dark circles well (though not the shadows from the bags), and a little goes a long way. It's creamy yet thick, and lasts the whole day.

Is it full coverage? Yes. Does it conceal imperfections? Of course. But it is not crease proof, and it definitely can look a little cakey if too much is applied under the eyes. In my opinion it’s better for blemishes as opposed to dark circles, but for the price, you can get drug store concealers that work just as well!

on 4/30/2018 8:05:00 PM

After I finished my last tube of concealer, I decided to give this a try and see what the hype was all about. I had wanted to purchase this earlier, but NARS did not make a shade that suited my fair, neutral/olive skin tone (NC20) until they recently came out with Creme Brulee. This is definitely a nice concealer, but I don't think it's as amazing as many of us have been led to believe.

Pros:
- Has a nice creamy texture with a satin finish, I would say this has medium coverage
- Great for concealing discoloration all over the face; could be used for highlighting/contour
- This is not reflective or "radiant" per se, but it does provide a sort of brightening effect to the face

Cons:
- Creases and looks papery as the day goes on, even after a healthy dose of eye cream!
- Can become patchy during application, especially when adding more coverage.
- Not the best for severe dark circles; good for brightening the undereye on an average makeup day, but dark circles and bags peek through unless you layer it on.
-Not the most budget-friendly, though it is more affordable than some other concealers it competes with. Not enough bang-for-your-buck for me.

Overall, I would say this is a pretty good concealer, but not something I will purchase again. I can see how some people may love this, especially those who don't like anything too heavy or a dewy finish. Perhaps I will have better luck with the NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer, or something more emollient.

on 4/27/2018 5:49:00 PM

It's an okay concealer. Not radiant or creamy, it is on the drier side. The color range is so much more limited compared to the NARS foundations and I can't find a color close enough to my neutral leaning cool-olive tone. Works decently for under eyes. Will settle in lines if you don't set it, and if you do, then it just makes it drier. Horrible for blemishes, if you have any sort of dry skin around it it will stick to the patches and make them so much more obvious. I can't attest to how it works with very oily skin but on my T-Zone the product faded by the end of the day... unless ofc there was some dry skin, then it held on for dear cakey life.

Over all, I'd say it's a decent product. But for this price I don't want decent, and I expected much more from the hype surrounding this product.

on 4/19/2018 5:10:00 PM

I don't get the hype around this product. I have bought and returned it, in several colors, about four times!! Probably because I just can't find anything else that meets my needs, and this one keeps getting recommended! I am very fair, Mont Blanc in Nars' Sheer Glow foundation ( which is neither sheer or glowy!). I have tried the Vanilla, the Chantilly, and the new Creme Brulee because it was supposed to be pinker. The Chantilly was white, the Vanilla had no pink in it, just a greyish yellow, and the Creme Brulee left peachy residue around the inside of my nose and was all around too dark. And that is just the colors. I don't find the formula to be radiant at all! It has light coverage that creased into lines beneath my eyes before I even had any! It looked more dry than radiant to me! I had high hopes for the Creme Brulee, thinking that I would finally find a concealer with a fair, cool undertone that was hydrating and glowy. NOT, will have to keep looking. Again I don't get all the hype. This is just another Nars product, like the Sheer Glow foundation, that is misnamed. At least the foundation was the color described, I can't say the same for the concealer. Any suggestions would be helpful. BTW, I wear Bobbi Brown's Extra Light Bisque corrector under all my concealers, that is how dark my circles are! But her concealers are not cool or hydrating enough either.

on 4/14/2018 7:00:00 AM

Had 2 tubes of this stuff I love the formula and how creamy it is I understand the hype around this product. Downsides include the price which is between £22-£25 which is expensive!! Also the applicator makes it hard to get the last bits of product out of the glass tube which is annoying for me.