NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

4.1

on 6/8/2013 9:53:00 AM

**Update (Oct 2015): Thanks for the feedback! Since it seems quite a lot of people are reading this, I'll try to provide as much info as I can. I'm still using this concealer, one extra point to add is that it can get cakey and messy if my eye circles are too dark and I use too many (ie 3 or above) layers, even if they are thin. After lots of trial and error, the best way to deal with this is: (1) Pat concealer out with your finger in the first layer, concentrating on the inner corner of the eye where it is the darkest. (2) If a second (or third) layer is needed, apply it with a BRUSH at targeted areas only: using a finger will likely mess up the first layer done and make you apply more, making things worse. I use the Real Techniques detailer brush which is perfect for this and it is small enough. But don't use a brush for (1) because a finger blends it out nicer.

Also, a note on the concealer shades: actually Custard is not a perfect match for my skin tone, the shade variety could be better - while Bobbi Brown's light to medium Peach is an exact match. If there's a concealer that combines NARS' texture and BB's shade range I'd give it 5 lippies!
-------------------------------------------
*Update (Dec 2013): Ok ladies I've used this for a couple of months and I realized that it does give a little bit of dry patches under the eyes. Have to be honest with this. But it only happens when my undereyes are super dry (let's blame the cold, dry weather) and it's still one of the best concealers I've used so far. Problem can be solved by applying a thicker eye cream beforehand (you can apply once when you do your skincare, and one more layer right before your concealer if you feel it is needed.)
-------------------------------------------
Original review:

HAHA.
Don't worry, I'm not crazy. I just got too excited because I think I've found my HG concealer!
I have scarily dark (hereditary) eye circles and I'm painfully searching for a nice concealer that does the job. I heard so many beauty gurus rave about this concealer and I ran to try this out.
You might wonder why I didn't use Bobbi Brown's corrector + concealer combo. Answer here: the skin around my eyes are really dry so they give me horrible dry lines and even patches. I tried for a few times, with or without awesome eye cream....and then I just gave up.

I've tried to do one eye with NARS creamy concealer, and the other with the Bobbi Brown combo. I've set both eyes with powder. [Comparison below]

NARS:
- More creamy and moisturizing
- Does NOT crease
- No funny patches
- Very natural color (I used the shade Custard: I'm a MAC NC 25)
- Lasting power is alright
- P.S. can be used around the red areas of the nose, and it won't cause the skin around the nose to be flaky like some concealers do (I've heard some beauty bloggers say that they don't use concealers around the "red" nose areas since they couldn't cover them without giving a patchy finish)
- Have not tried it on blemishes so I'm not sure about that (update: works wonderfully on blemishes. Would use a brush to apply it instead of applying straight from the doe-foot applicator though, for hygienic reasons.)
- The only con: the coverage isn't 100%. I would say around 80%.

Bobbi Brown:
- It settles into fine lines a minute after application. Brush or no brush, cream or no cream, powder or no powder.
- BUT: great coverage (I would say around 95%) ignoring the dry patches and lines (i.e. if some of you don't have dry skin you may opt for the BB one for fuller coverage). My eye bags are literally gone.

Conclusion: dry skin/want natural look/ not have extremely dark eye circles = go for NARS (if you agree with any of the above points). Or else go for Bobbi Brown.

Longest review I've written so far, really hope it helps all of you who are struggling with concealers like me!

(Wanted to start a beauty blog but would like a bit of feedback from my posts here first so I can further improve - pls rate if you find this helpful or unhelpful! Thanks so much for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it xx)

on 5/9/2013 11:52:00 AM

This is a great formula. I actually do love almost everything about this concealer. It completely lives up to its name; it brightens/conceals under the eyes and around the nose & mouth. Lasts all day until I remove it. I'm half Korean w/very yellow-toned skin; I use "Custard" which perfectly suits my complexion. Full disclosure, I bought this because I tend to love NARS products and the launch of this newest "radiant" concealer sucked me in (not to mention all the YouTube-hyped reviews)! Anyway, it's a nice enough product, and I'm satisfied w/it -- I'll definitely use it up -- but I won't be repurchasing. Reason is that my previous standby, Maybelline's FITme concealer, works just as well. I truly can't tell any difference between the two. The Maybelline one costs a fraction of the price, so I will be replenishing the FITme concealer in lieu of the NARS (once I'm finished w/the NARS one). For reference, I wear the FITme in shades 10 and 20; winter/summer color, respectively. So, unless you have money that you don't know what to do with, I'd personally recommend the Maybelline FITme over the NARS Radiant. They are virtually identical in formulation and performance (and beyond that, even the packaging is identical).

on 3/19/2013 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Very expensive but this works for me, here's how:

Dark Circles: completely covered with one coat (mine are seriously dark grey/purple with a v white face so they're harder to hide)

Spots: Completely covered with one coat, no building required.

Freckles: Completely covered despite having some v dark freckles on naturally vampire pale skin.

Redness and spider veins: Covered with one to two coats.

Natural finish and luminous. Even on my exceptionally dry skin, this is creamy and doesn't accentuate the dryness but softens it and makes my skin look soft, glowing, luminous.

Coverage: It not only covers my unusually dark circles but should I happen to be cack handed and smear a smudge onto my lip line, I have naturally deep pink lips, it conceals them too.

Colour Chantilly the palest in the range: a very pale ivory, perfect for my white skin.

Application: Easy as pie with my finger, a cotton bud or brush, applies well whatever I use.

Effect with daily usage on T zone and around eyes on v dry and spotty skin: None discernible.

Consistency: surprisingly thick which is good as it covers so well.

Buildable: oh yes... and very smoothly

Result: Blimey I look younger.

Others have tried that are good but this beats by a mile: YSL touche clat, Bobbi brown touch up stick and the utterly useless Bobbi brown under eye concealer for dark circles, derma blend.

Will buy again, would be fool not to, if I can afford it.

Edit: after using for a month or so, I do find this can look drying on any dry problem skin areas, otherwise pleased with it.
Edit: years after first buying this and still using it happily, except for cost, I've found this also is very good at sculpting the face easily, quickly and subtly. As this formula is rich and thick, tiny dabs will spread over a large surface and sculpt in a minute.

Oh my god. This product is like an abusive boyfriend--it looks so good and then it just ruins your life!
I have pale skin with blue undertones so I almost always end up with the "lightest" shade in a line being too yellow/tan. This concealer in Chantilly was a perfect if not improving match. When I put it under my eyes where I have allergic shiners (purple circles that look like I've just walked into someone's fist), it not only covered up the purple but made the skin there look more light-reflecting and radiant than ever before.
We will call these reactions my honeymoon phase. Sephora had a sale and I stocked up (bought 3 of them!) because I hate it when I find a color match and then it is discontinued.
Now this is when things start to get ugly.
I've been using the product for less than a month when I start to have little white hard bumps all around my eyes where it covers up the purple. And the sides of my nose start to get tender because they are developing deep ouchie ouch ouch pimples. And my chin. Dear lord sweet mercy the area below my lips to the end of my face. I explained it to one friend like this, normally if I have a problem, I will have an individual pimple, we will call these single family dwellings. Well this product created apartment complex style pimples. Each pimple had a neighbor right beside it so that you have these massive systems of clogged pores than cannot be cleared because as soon as one tenant left, another moved in!!!
Now we move on to classic denial. Despite the onset of unprecedented pimples and problems in EXACTLY the areas I applied the concealer, I tried to rationalize that it was my: hormones, my diet, stress, aging, the expelling of toxins from a virus I never had, a new phase in the life of my skin. I mean come on, the product told me it would never cause me to break out. It had to be my fault!
Basically I told myself every lie I could because as disgusting as my face now started to feel, I loved the color so so much and I now had 4 tubes of it.
That's when I had to have an intervention. I confessed to my sister what I recently started using and how great it was, oh but wait, it also kinda maybe slightly turned my skin into a horrible angry nightmare--which I could luckily cover up with--MORE CONCEALER! Brilliant.
She, not being in the thralls of this abusive relationship, told me to pitch it. But I had invested so much I whined. Classic mentality of the abused. She told me it was over and I needed to pitch it. I knew this was true, but was irrational and paralyzed from acting.
It took me MONTHS to get rid of it. I was unable to return it, so I kept the 3. unopened packages in my closet (time heals all). Every once and a while I would relapse and open a new one to try again. You know what happened next.
Finally, I threw them all out. I was so sad staring into all the money and superficial radiance in my trash can but there was no more running from the facts.
Since I ended things with Chantilly, my skin recovered and I have no little white pumps around my eyes, no apartment complex pimples, no sore nose cysts.
Bottom line:
Perfect color. Skin wrecking ball.

on 7/17/2013 4:28:00 PM

**Photo to be added very shortly after August 1st 2013**

Short version: This concealer has impressed me and exceeded my expectations for a natural-looking awake under eye area. It is feather-light, blend-able yet build-able, natural shades, crease-less for most. Without a doubt, I strongly recommend this concealer!

More in-depth review: For skin compatibility, as this may help, concealers that have worked best than most with my skin, yet still had some flaws, are: Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour concealer, Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealers and Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection concealer. I use Bobbi Brown corrector in light bisque very lightly underneath concealer.
What makes this Nars concealer the winner for me is that it matches my skin perfectly. It also blends like a dream. No concealer has ever looked perfectly believable on me. My skin tone is not porcelain white; it is a neutral light creamy colour and most concealer shades are too pink or too yellow-toned. (corrector does the colour correcting, the concealer should look like your skin or you will notice it) I am always in between the lightest and second lightest drugstore concealer. One is too light and ashy and the other is a little dark and noticeably yellow/orange. This usually leaves me trying to mix two different shades. If you are in the same boat, Light 2 (Vanilla) is truly perfect. It is actual skin colour and to me more of a neutral and anyone with light skin colour with either cool or warm tone could even get away with it. You know how nice it is to spend less than 2 minutes on concealer as opposed to 10 minutes on average in the mornings? No? Than try this! -if you want to. To go further in depth, I have hereditary under eye circles (plus faint muscle protrusion right above the darkest part making it look darker) along with a combination of red, blue, and purple bruise-like colours surrounding the area. I know no concealer will fully conceal the indent thanks to the slight shadow and filling it causes cakey-ness and I have been there... This made me realize shade matching is so important and this concealer makes it look like I have ideal under eyes that I could ever ask for. No concealer is crease-less yet because it is true to real skin colour it appears less noticeable when it does crease.
This concealer barely creases as in -put your nose against the mirror and then you will notice it- and because of that it has creased the least for me out of all of the concealers I have tried. I am sure powder would make it 100% crease-less but it is so minuscule that I won't bother. It also feels the lightest and most natural, while still giving the best natural looking coverage. That is what I look for in a concealer. Not to mention it lasts through a work day and then some. When touch ups are required it meshes with the old so smoothly whereas I find many concealers start to look cakey when I touch up, or it just no longer meshes well with what is already on. I am so happy to have stumbled upon this!

**From my personal experience and for those that are new to concealer, I do not recommend going shades lighter than your skin tone even though many people say to go many shades lighter. Always go faintly lighter as opposed to darker than your skin tone if you can not find an exact match, however; a shade or more lighter will always result in reverse raccoon eyes and 'look' like you brightened your eye area. If it does not blend in with your skin, it will be noticeable. You will also spend too much time trying to blend a concealer that is too light which tugs at the delicate eye area and will make you feel like you need even more concealer. Not to mention it will leave you dreading bright or sunny lighting or camera flashes. Test this out: any foundation or concealer that matches your skin tone will look faintly lighter under the eyes any ways as it faces up towards light for the most part. That is the most natural. Concealers have some light-reflecting properties already... you don't want high-beams under your eyes! If you would prefer to look natural and awake as though you do not need to wear concealer, I recommend matching concealer as close to your real shade as you can.

on 4/23/2013 4:43:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Reviewers on the Sephora website were raving about this stuff, so being a concealer junkie, I had to get some. It is thick and creamy with a lot of pigment, blends easily and has very little creasing. I set it with a light powder but it is satin finish and not greasy, oily, or shiny, like some creamy concealers. I prefer to get concealers in a tube since wands dry out, but you can't have everything. The medium to med/dark shades are color correcting : Honey, Custard, and Ginger. Honey is a salmon color, Custard - a yellow peach, Ginger, a darker peach. The lighter shades don't have enough pigment to color correct. Vanilla has a pink tone in a pale beige and the lightest color, Chantilly, looks white. Nars has come up with a very good formula but they should have made the honey and the custard a little bit lighter.They need a few more shades in the light/medium range. Because of this, and the exorbitant price, I took off one star.

on 9/8/2014 11:07:00 AM

Me and NARS sitting in a tree, C-O-N-C-E-A-L-I-N-G

Okay that didn't work well at all but you know what does? This concealer.

(See how I turned that around)

Its amazing and literally the only concealer I can use on my under-eyes that conceals well and makes me look gorgeous. I was at a point where I wasn't putting ANYTHING on my undereye because every other concealer I tried (I'm looking at you pro-longwear) made it look WORSE. Covered a little, but made it look worse - and I'd rather have minor darkness under my eyes than look like a 40 year old who hasn't aged well.

I use it in other areas of my face also and it works a charm, Highlights a little which i love - if I'm putting it on zits, I dab a bit of powder on top so that it's not so 'radiant'.

Just buy it. Please. I am so picky with makeup, have extremely high standards, sensitive skin that's prone to break outs and all sorts of allergies.. and I will never be without this again.

NARS, I'm your biggest fan <3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I haven't even officially bought this product, but it's so good, I can write a review based on the sample. To begin with I have this concealer in Custard. I usually wear Mac NC25/NC30 and I wear Urban Decay Naked Skin #4. This shade is yellow but not overly so. It matches my skin pretty well. Usually I like to go a tad lighter with my under eye concealer but none of them were a little lighter without running pink. I'd say this is the lightest yellow shade. Okay so now on to the review!! I have very purple, dark circles that are hereditary. I am 30 years old so as much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to get a few fine lines as well. And as many of you know, covering up dark circles on aging skin can equal CREASING!! This concealer is pigmented enough to cover my dark circles but doesn't accentuate my fine lines. I use the applicator to apply then blend it out with a fluffy concealer brush. It's so good I think it's gonna be my go to concealer for my wedding this summer!! Yay!! A concealer that covers but doesn't crease?! Thank you makeup gods!!!

on 3/15/2013 5:02:00 PM

I think I found my HG under-eye concealer. I am 37 and recently developed quite bad under-eye circles and puffiness that make me look really tired and sad. I started looking for a higher coverage as my Clinique Airbrush concealer was not cutting it anymore. I tried high coverage stuff from Lancome, Estee Lauder, MAC, Vichy Dermablend, Soap and Glory, Bobbi Brown. etc. All of them vanished within a couple of hours. I love eye makeup and especially quite dark smokey eyes and it really looks not quite right with a weak concealer. Enter NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. It is the best, most long lasting concealer I've ever had. Very pigmented but not at all cakey or patchy. Stays on without creasing or budging or fading until I remove it in the evening.

I played with it until I found the best application:

* It requires a fluffy blending brush to work the product in. Circular blending motions and no dragging or patting. Fingers somehow don't work with this concealer. It is better if the hairs are natural. Synthetic brushes don't work as well. I use Smashbox blending brush or MAC 224 and use the tip of the brush only.
* You need to start with the least amount possible. Only build coverage in the area where you need it most.
* Don't powder it over with a setting powder or highlighting powder, etc. It looks horrible.
* If it is too drying for the under-eye, blend it with a very small amount of eye cream and apply with the brush.

on 4/18/2013 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is my new HG under eye concealer. I have extremely dark circles under my eyes, bright blue veins and brown discolouration to be specific. On my pale NC15 skin, it is extremely noticeable (looks like two black eyes) unless I wear corrector and concealer. I previously wore Bobbi Brown's under eye corrector in Light Bisque along with Mac's Studiofix concealer in NC15, with Bobbi setting powder. These combination creased like crazy and it didn't last more than a few hours before I'd have to touch up again. However..This NARS product was recommended to me by a Sephora MUA who seriously saved my life with this. This concealer is AMAZING. Not only does it go on lightly, but the coverage is phenomenal, and it is so brightening! I used YSL's Touche Eclat which I hated, it didn't cover anything and it creased. This is a concealer, corrector and brightener in one, and my god does it work. I bought this in "Vanilla" which I think is colour #2, it's perfect for my NC15 skin. This lasts all day, literally. It doesn't crease, and it definitely covers without ever looking cakey. I haven't had to touch up this yet, I usually have makeup on for 10 hours of the day. This is the best product for girls with intensive dark under eye circles, and for those who don't, this will look airbrushed. I will re-buy this always!!!

UPDATE: After almost a year I'm still using this religiously, though I realized shade 02 Vanilla was a little bit too dark for me, so now I mix it with the lightest colour 001 Chantilly and it's great!! I cannot live without this concealer <3