Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

This is a cult foundation for a reason, that being its staying power. It adheres to the skin like paint, and stays there until you take it off. I find it could be described as specifically formulated for oily skinned ladies and gents, as it doesn't need setting powder (unless you have exceptionally oily skin i presume), doesn't break down on critical oily areas throughout the day (nostrils, in between the brows, nose, inner cheeks), doesn't oxidize or change color. I absolutely adore it and yes, if i had to wear a single foundation for the rest of my life, this would be it.
This is my "husband" foundation. The rest are all occasional, short-termed, exciting but quick-fizzling, cool-but-enough-now "affairs".

Pros:
- one of the few foundations that actually does what it claims to do;
- great coverage without looking dry, cakey or streaky;
- beautiful smooth finish, like glass/paint;
- very long lasting;
- unbreakable, doesn't dissolve on oily areas or under the eyes. This particularity is almost impossible to find in other foundations, in my opinion, and if met, it comes with significant disadvantages (extreme thickness, dryness, for example the Kat Von D/ LA Girl foundations);
- contrary to other reviews, i personally don't find it drying under the eyes at all. Eye cream is a general must for the skin regardless of one wearing makeup or not;
- extensive shade rage, for pretty much everyone;
- very buildable if applied fast;
- a little goes a long way, a bottle will last for months with daily use;
- replaces concealer successfully;
- good skin tolerance (didn't break me out);
- wonderful natural look for its consistency and coverage. Pretty much 5% heavier on the skin than liquid foundations.

Cons:
- expensive (but good things cost money);
- the significant shade range makes it difficult to choose one's right tone, particularly in store lights;
- the glass bottle albeit beautiful is not user-friendly and needs a pump;
- needs attentive removal, hard to scrub off.

I will continue to repurchase this foundation and not the light version as i don't want to stray. The company could offer a more extensive guideline for choosing the right shade and add a pump and they'd be market leaders.

on 5/17/2018 5:04:00 PM

pros:
med to full coverage
matte and do not need to set with powder (i have oily combo skin this keeps me matte all day)
long lasting
great color selection, (nc20-25, 2w1 dawn in this foundation)

cons:
broke me out and very skin congesting
can look dry and cakey if put too much on or if you dont moisturize well enough
smells a bit odd
no pump

on 5/16/2018 4:50:00 AM

This is the only foundation that worked for me. Can’t live without it. Plus, I’ve been using the free makeup brush that was sent to me, I also want you ladies to try it! Click this link to get your FREE Mieoko’s flat top brush! Perfect for any foundation! Hurry!

on 5/10/2018 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had to try this foundation because it is so famous. The foundation it self has AMAZING coverage. However, it comes across a little cakey after a while because it is so thick and kind of heavy. I personally prefer a lighter and more natural looking foundation, but it does what it promises - high coverage.

on 5/7/2018 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My HG foundation for over ten years! I have oily, acne-prone skin, so I like a matte, longlasting finish and this does the deed. This is almost full coverage, but you can sheer it out if you want to (add a bit of moisturizer) on 'natural' days or build it up on 'bad skin days'. You only need a small amount, because if you use too much, it will look cakey. If you are more on the dry/normal side it might accentuate dry patches, so moisturise well before using this. The bottle is glass, so not that great for traveling. It doesn't come with a pump (sigh..) but you can buy one separately. The smell is quite neutral and faint, not disturbing or anything at all. Despite the price, which is quite high, I will keep repurchasing because this gives me a nice finish, good coverage and lasts most of the day (with setting powder on top), and I have not find any other (drugstore or luxury) foundation to match this one. I also really appreciate the fact that they have a wide array of shades with different undertones, from very fair to very dark, although my shade is only available online in my country. I am a NW15-20 in Mac (fair with cool undertones) for reference and I use 1n2 Ecru in EL Double Wear (I can make 2n1 Desert Beige also work for me). Note: I prefer the neutral undertone to the more pinkish undertone of the c-shades (c=cool, n=neutral, w=warm).

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

on 5/4/2018 4:40:00 AM

This stuff is so good and actually much better than what it use to be ( it use to bemuch more like spack filler but still good)! It’s a true medium, buildable, satin long wearing foundation. I’ve found my favourite products to use under it (the olay complete spf range is good) but did have a bit of trial and error, anything to lipid rich and it does move around but anything too ‘matte’ can cause the foundation to cling. My favourite brushes to apply are Real Techniques buffing and contour brushes to really help pull and spread the product, I find with these brushes I can continue to deposit and buff coverage even when the brush feels dry. Personally I’ve found a beauty blender does not work with this, particularly if you are dry because your skin is fighting for moisture from the damp sponge and the foundation and then it just looks patchy. I also like to set this with the Laura Mercier Baked Radiance powder, it brings life with no sparkle and locks in the foundation. The shades are a little tricky too...I have 3 actually, cool bone, ecru and desert beige depending on the weather and if I have any tan!

on 5/3/2018 7:49:00 PM

This is my holy grail foundation.

It looks great after initial application. But what made it my go to is that as it wears during the day, it gets a little more dewey looking on my combo (leaning towards oily) skin. But dewey in a good, “I’m naturally glowing” way. It really wears off beautifully (all foundations wear off as the day goes on, it’s just HOW they wear off on your skin that’s important!). Personally, I’ve never had any issues with it gathering or wiping off the way other foundations have.

The only thing people have to be careful with is that this can look cakey if you apply too much OR if your skin isn’t properly hydrated beforehand. However, that’s a problem that can be worked around once you find out the best way to prep your skin and apply.

Personally, I feel like people with oily skin types and those looks for medium leaning towards high coverage (with spot concealing on problematic areas b/c zit redness/discoloration still peeks through on me) would really enjoy this foundation.Those with dry skin or those that want a lot of coverage after initial application may not be too into it as it would probably look cakey by the end of the day.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Some MU items are classic for a reason. Very few MU products become instant HGs to me and this is one of them. I'm so happy with my purchase. It's highly covering and gives a beautiful finish. It's called a "stay-in-place MU", let me tell you, it does NOT move all day. I swear, I wore it for over 12 hours as I was travelling and my face still looked good at the end ! I agree with other reviewers as it gets better as the day goes by. However, it dries quite fast so you need to blend it quickly. I find it works perfectly with the RT complexion brush. I like that it has no pump because I can control how much product I need, you usually end up with more than you want with pumps.

on 4/27/2018 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Definitely my HG foundation. Double Ware does not budge on my combination skin for at least 12 hours easily and looks honestly much better on my face at the end of the day than most other foundations look in 4-5 hours.
I prefer applying it with a damp beauty sponge on a well moisturized and primed skin. I noticed that I need much smaller amount of product than when working with most other foundations I've tried. With just one very thin layer and a damp sponge I can easily get high-medium or light-high coverage which I really enjoy even for an everyday look. It looks quite natural, I have never experienced cakyness with Double Ware (I think applying it in very thin layers and not more than 1-2 layers helps in that regard). I normally set it very lightly with a bit of a setting powder and I usually don't need any touch-ups during the entire day (not even on my T-zone).
I truly love it and don't even know why I have another 5 different foundations at the moment when all I want to use is Double Ware :)