Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 8/19/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I am convinced that the MUA rating of this foundation will never change. Literally. Okay, now that I've put my dumb observation out there, I'll get into the actual review lol. This foundation is LOVE. Stay away from this foundation if you have close to perfect skin or if you just need some light evening out of the skin. This stuff is heavy duty. And once you get used to looking flawless, you can never really look back.

First things first. Yes, this stuff is thick and will absolutely look like you have make up on. This is not a "my skin but better" foundation. I really do wish there was a foundation out there that is full coverage and is also invisible, but I'm afraid such a thing does not exist. This foundation comes close, though. It depends on your application technique. I pat it into the skin with a flat top kabuki. If you stippled like two drops into your skin, it could be pretty sheer. A little goes a long way, and one bottle will last you a very, very long time.

Ladies, I need COVERAGE. I mean it. I have acne scars all over my cheeks that are about 5 shades darker than my skin. They look terrible and I can not put any other make up on until they are concealed. I can't just put some lipstick on and be out the door. It looks terrible. Now, I've tried concealing. I really have. Light foundation+heavy concealer was my routine for a while until I realised I could easily learn a language using all that time I spent concealing each individual scar before foundation. It was a nightmare. Till I found this.

This stuff covers everything. I have dark scarring, so I do have to colour correct before applying it, but the rest of the job is done by this baby. I usually don't need more than 2 layers on the scarring. And yes, that is a big deal for me, because this is some of the worst scarring I've ever had to deal with. Other foundations wouldn't come close with even 50 layers if I tried. Set with powder, and no one can even begin to imagine the demon that lies underneath. No but seriously, you should set this stuff if you want that coverage to last. Not the foundation itself, but the layering you've done in certain areas. And that will be true for any foundation you use. Hugs, resting your face in your hands, making a phone call, etc are all a part of daily life and unfortunately are also ways your foundation rubs off. So make sure to lightly set. I do not believe in "transfer resistant" foundation. I don't think such a thing exists. But what I can say is, this stuff does not transfer easily. You'd have to really dig your face into someone's shoulder to leave your mark on them.

This stays on all day, and all night. I can work through the day and then be clubbing the entire night with this stuff on if I wanted to. Not that I go clubbing, though. You need a social life for that. And friends. Just kidding, haha. That said, I have dry skin. It is drrry. But if I exfoliate and moisturise beforehand, it's never a problem. No flakes.

BUT. There's a but. If I don't have time to do some physical exfoliation (scrubs), my chemical exfoliant from the night before does NOT cut it. This foundation will age your skin if you do not exfoliate and moisturise. It will settle into any lines you have, and will catch onto every dry flake you have. And it'll look even worse if you're used to buffing and not patting foundation into your skin.

You need cleansing oil/balm to get this foundation off your face. It is thick and cleansing wipes will get off maybe the first layer. You need to cleanse thoroughly. This does not break me out unless I'm lazy with cleansing. I mean it. Get every drop off. Your cotton pads should come out white. Also- this is not an everyday foundation. You can make it so if you're ready to spend 15 minutes removing it at night every single day. But I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

By now, you're probably wondering why you should buy such an expensive foundation if it has so many disclaimers. You have to exfoliate, moisturise, and then be sure to remove it properly. OH and you can't wear it too often! But, trust me. When you look at your reflection in the mirror and see the person looking back at you, it's worth it. People think make up is a way to cover up the person you are. But for me, it's so I can see myself. REALLY see myself for the confident girl that I know I am. But I usually can't see past the terrible skin. It stops me before I can even begin to explore my true nature. So in theory, my insecurities shut me out. But make up lets me break that door down, and be comfortable in my own skin. Okay, this review just got way too sentimental. If you're still unsure, get a sample. It'll be worth it in the end. I promise.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Great for oily skin. It does even perform better on oily skin as it gives a nice dewy finish after few hours of wearing it. It is full coverage. Downside is you have to blend it quickly as it dries up fast. Otherwise you gonna have patches.

For reference i am NC42 using the shade 4W1 honey bronze

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

My mom bought me Estee lauder Double Wear when i was 15 at macy's. So I was set on buying a foundation that would actually cover my acne/acne scars. I was sat down and glammed over and when i saw the result i was so happy i actually cried!
It covered my acne and scars to perfection, i thought i would never see myself without acne again but i did!
Super light weight, amazing coverage. My #1 FAVORITE foundation, i am about to turn 20 years old and this foundation is the one i devote my life to.
I have also tried dermablend, but as of coverage they both do the same to me, dermablend is more heavy duty, extremely drying and looks and feels cakey. Whereas Double Wear does not leave that feeling and its easy to apply.

When it comes to price, and me being on the poorer end (lol) it is well worth the investment. I actually first tried it when it cost $32 or $35 USD and now its $38...

The packaging is kinda crappy, i hate that it does not have a pump or like those squeezable ones because you either
1. spill everywhere and cry
2. pour too much out
3. and when its almost done its hard to get the last drops out!

but love love love this foundation 100% recommend for acneprone skin

on 11/17/2015 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

HOLY GRAIL X ONE THOUSAND.
This is the best foundation out there. If you want something that’s FULL, opaque, lasts the entire day and night, provides the perfect matte base for everything else (contour, blush, highlighter, etc), then this is it. Perfect for oily skin like mine, doesn't stop the oil but keeps it at bay. I was on the hunt for a new foundation, have tried Dior, Chanel, Nars, Revlon colorstay..the list goes on. Basically all the really cult foundations. But nothing beats this. And fyi I didn’t just get this, I have worn this for years on/off. Can I just say again that this LASTS AND LASTS AND LASTS?? God knows how hard I tried to find the perfect foundation and this is it.
- If you have acne scars, this is for you.
- If you have terrible dark circles, this is for you.
- If you want a full foundation for a night out, vacation day, whatever. You need this.
This is like the trusty friend that you know will be there for you when you need it.

CONS:
- Photographs terribly. Will give you a bit of "white face" effect. Does not look natural in photos even without a white face.
- Due to its coverage and long lastiness, I think this is terrible for your skin. Sensitive skin people beware, will probably cause breakouts.

- My story: I wore this for like a year and then stopped when they changed the formula. It wasn’t as opaque anymore. I switched to color stay/Dior but they were both awful with coverage. Just too sheer/light and would fade after many hours. So after trying samples of every foundation under the sun, I decided, after years, to try this one again. I did and I remembered why I wore this for so long. I don’t know whether they changed the formula again, but the opacity was back! This foundation was so far superior to any others that I wondered why I had wasted my time at all trying other ones.

- Colors: okay so this part is super confusing. Don’t trust what they match you with. I’m like a NW 35/Beiege 40 in Chanel/Golden caramel in Revlon. I have been matched with Shell Beige, Tawny, Wheat, etc. They are all wrong. My true match is actually Ivory Beige. FYI in my experience colors look a little lighter when first applied, due to its thick formula and paint-like coverage but it adjust to your skin tone pretty fast. I guess it kind of oxidizes but a very slight amount.

PS: Have others have said, a little goes a long way or else it starts to look extremely cakey. Also this doesn’t come off at all.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is, hands down, the best foundation I have ever used in my entire life. And I've used quite a few!! I have EXTREMELY oily, breakout prone skin as well as acne scars. However I hate a really cakey foundation look. This gives me a beautiful natural finish while covering up what I don't want to be seen. But what I love most is that it's the only foundation that lasts on my oily skin. At the of the long days my makeup still looks reasonably fresh. Of course it's slightly more oily looking but that happens with every foundation at the end of the day with me. I apply this with a beauty blender or buff it in with a brush. This can look cakey very easily but if you buff it in nicely, it will give a natural finish. The only negatives I have about this is that there is no pump, which is annoying, and that though there are a lot of shades to pick from, the shades are really odd. They don't seem like normal skin tones. I have nc37-40 skin and I find myself mixing the shade cashew (bit too yellow) and shell beige (bit too beige) to get the perfect color.

on 5/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I have an oily skin and this is My favorite of all times so far. Using it for more than a year.

on 4/6/2015 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

My HG foundation. This is a must if you want to achieve that flawless look! There are so many shades so you are bound to find a perfect match. When applied with a damp beauty blender, Double Wear makes the oily AND dry parts of my face very happy! I have not had problems with it looking cakey but I have never applied it with a brush. It can be full coverage since it is a thick foundation but I use so little that it is more medium coverage. Also, there is no need for a concealer with DW ! Just apply a little more product onto specific spots and it works like a concealer! I use it with Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and set it with Chanel loose powder and my makeup lasts more than 8 hours! Beware, make sure you find a primer that goes well with DW! Becca Stay Matte made my DW look patchy and streaky after 3 hours probably because it is water based.

on 1/3/2015 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Good price! It's not very pricey only $40 with tax! The bottle looks pretty but it needs a pump which is my only complaint. They have so many shades and under tone choices I love this foundation! I have acne/oily skin and this makes me flawless with a good brush, primer, & setting spray!

on 10/31/2014 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've purchased this foundation twice and have been given the wrong colour both times! It's quite annoying because it is a little pricey and I wanted it to be worth every penny :( to be honest I think this foundation is one of the best out there it good for all types of skin and also lasts all day and still looks fresh so you don't need to blot! You can build this foundation up as much as you like and get the right coverage you want for your skin without looking uneven or cakey. It's very silky and easy to apply and feels very light and settled unlike some other foundations that has the wet like feeling the whole time. I do have to say this foundation is pretty amazing I'm just disappointed at the fact that they have so many colours sadly I still couldn't find a match.

on 5/11/2013 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Ok so when it comes to Foundations I'm very particular about what I wear because when I started using Liquid Foundation I began using MAC and that was a disaster because it made me break out and the foundation would somehow fade away within an hour or two so I had a real hard time finding a foundation that was right for me.

Finally I was tired of having Trial & Errors with several Liquid Foundations so I sought out the help of a Professional. I had specific preferences for the kind of Foundation I was looking for which was that it was Full-Coverage, Won't make me Breakout, Long-Lasting, and Something that doesn't make me look like a cake face.

Finally the make-up artist recommended Estee Lauder D.W and at first I was a bit skeptical because this brand never really caught my attention but I decided to give it a try and finally I felt I found the perfect foundation because it does all the things I want in a Liquid foundation. The price is something I'm not too fond of but at the end of the day its totally worth it! I love this foundation so much that I got my cousin into it and now she's obsessed!! I would definitely recommend this Liquid Foundation!!