Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 7/22/2018 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation always settles into fine lines or creases, doesn't cover hyper-pigmentation, and I find it gets a bit oily (which makes it easier to rub/wear off through the day). That being said, I can see why everyone likes it so much. It does last longer than other foundations by a stretch, is build-able for fuller coverage, smells lovely, and feels like nothing on the face. Primer is very important with this foundation because different primers make this foundation look better or worse.

on 8/12/2017 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Honestly terrible for my skin, one wear and i broke out SO bad. I bought this because it said non-comedogenic hoping it wouldn't clog my pores, i don't know if it did or didn't do that. But upon removing it i had red pimples all under my skin, and right after i had just cleared it up too :(. I also didn't build it up very much for the sake of letting my skin breathe, now i'm glad i didn't build it up.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation looks beautiful on the skin. I am very oily and this foundation did wonders, it stayed in place and it didn't oxidize. It is very thick but it blends out very nice and does not look cakey at all. Unfortunately it broke me out horribly mind you, I do not have sensitive skin and no other foundation had broke me out like this. I loved everything else about it so I kept trying to give it another chance, I would stop using it to let my face recover but as soon as I used it again it broke me out. I do recommend it because it's an amazing foundation if it doesn't brake you out.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely one of my top 3 foundations of all time. I didn't give it a perfect 5 star rating because I don't use it by itself anymore, I always mix it with either one of my other 2 favorites (Lancome Tient Idole Ultra 24hr or L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte). I used to use this foundation by itself in the old formula years ago but my needs and preferences in foundation have since changed and this doesn't quite fit the bill on its own anymore. But when mixed, the combo becomes holy grail for me.

For reference, I have mostly oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin but can have some dry patches here and there.
All the info down below is based on the foundation by itself, not mixed and applied with a flat top brush (Sigma F80).

--Texture & Application--
Not very thick, a little runny but it's not too thin either. You don't need much, a little goes a long way and it blends in very smoothly and very easily. I don't find it dries too quickly but that depends on your skin and it's still best to work in sections.
--Coverage & Finish--
High medium/medium-full coverage depending on your skin but it definitely can be built up to complete full coverage (it's best to build up in thin layers - careful not to build up too much or it can go cakey). The finish isn't too matte, it's more of a natural matte or demi-matte. I feel this foundation can work for almost all skin types, including dry depending on how you prep beforehand. I find it to not settle in pores or lines for me and it looks overall very smooth and flawless. It takes a couple minutes for it to set completely on me and a smidgen of slight tackiness still remains so in my opinion, it doesn't dry down to a powder finish and it's best set with a light powder. It doesn't tend to look cakey on me but it's not a super natural foundation. Though because it's not too matte, it doesn't look overly unnatural either. Out of all 3 of my favorites, this is the most forgiving in terms of dryness. It's not quite as apt to clinging onto things as much as the other two can. Really pretty finish.
--Feel & Wear--
It's not the most lightweight foundation (not as lightweight as the Lancome or L'oreal), I can sorta feel it on but neither is it too heavy. It wears really well, the current longest wearing foundation out of my 3 favorites. Sadly, it's not as long wearing as the original formula though. It wears well in heat, humidity, sweat and water. I could wear it for a full 24 hours if I wanted (though it probably wouldn't look very good). Oddly enough, it's oil control though, is not quite as good as the Lancome or the L'oreal - probably due to it not being completely matte. It still has good oil control but not the best I've come across. I don't find it to dry my skin out at all either.

Overall, I love this foundation and it's worth the money. I notice a huge difference in the way my skin looks with this foundation vs a lot of cheaper foundations, it just looks way better. The color selection is also very nice and the undertones it comes in matches my skin tone perfectly which can be hard to find for me. But seriously Estee Lauder..you're going to increase the price from $34- $38 in just a matter of a couple years and still not put a pump on it?? Please, please..just put a damn pump on it, please.

on 8/19/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I am convinced that the MUA rating of this foundation will never change. Literally. Okay, now that I've put my dumb observation out there, I'll get into the actual review lol. This foundation is LOVE. Stay away from this foundation if you have close to perfect skin or if you just need some light evening out of the skin. This stuff is heavy duty. And once you get used to looking flawless, you can never really look back.

First things first. Yes, this stuff is thick and will absolutely look like you have make up on. This is not a "my skin but better" foundation. I really do wish there was a foundation out there that is full coverage and is also invisible, but I'm afraid such a thing does not exist. This foundation comes close, though. It depends on your application technique. I pat it into the skin with a flat top kabuki. If you stippled like two drops into your skin, it could be pretty sheer. A little goes a long way, and one bottle will last you a very, very long time.

Ladies, I need COVERAGE. I mean it. I have acne scars all over my cheeks that are about 5 shades darker than my skin. They look terrible and I can not put any other make up on until they are concealed. I can't just put some lipstick on and be out the door. It looks terrible. Now, I've tried concealing. I really have. Light foundation+heavy concealer was my routine for a while until I realised I could easily learn a language using all that time I spent concealing each individual scar before foundation. It was a nightmare. Till I found this.

This stuff covers everything. I have dark scarring, so I do have to colour correct before applying it, but the rest of the job is done by this baby. I usually don't need more than 2 layers on the scarring. And yes, that is a big deal for me, because this is some of the worst scarring I've ever had to deal with. Other foundations wouldn't come close with even 50 layers if I tried. Set with powder, and no one can even begin to imagine the demon that lies underneath. No but seriously, you should set this stuff if you want that coverage to last. Not the foundation itself, but the layering you've done in certain areas. And that will be true for any foundation you use. Hugs, resting your face in your hands, making a phone call, etc are all a part of daily life and unfortunately are also ways your foundation rubs off. So make sure to lightly set. I do not believe in "transfer resistant" foundation. I don't think such a thing exists. But what I can say is, this stuff does not transfer easily. You'd have to really dig your face into someone's shoulder to leave your mark on them.

This stays on all day, and all night. I can work through the day and then be clubbing the entire night with this stuff on if I wanted to. Not that I go clubbing, though. You need a social life for that. And friends. Just kidding, haha. That said, I have dry skin. It is drrry. But if I exfoliate and moisturise beforehand, it's never a problem. No flakes.

BUT. There's a but. If I don't have time to do some physical exfoliation (scrubs), my chemical exfoliant from the night before does NOT cut it. This foundation will age your skin if you do not exfoliate and moisturise. It will settle into any lines you have, and will catch onto every dry flake you have. And it'll look even worse if you're used to buffing and not patting foundation into your skin.

You need cleansing oil/balm to get this foundation off your face. It is thick and cleansing wipes will get off maybe the first layer. You need to cleanse thoroughly. This does not break me out unless I'm lazy with cleansing. I mean it. Get every drop off. Your cotton pads should come out white. Also- this is not an everyday foundation. You can make it so if you're ready to spend 15 minutes removing it at night every single day. But I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

By now, you're probably wondering why you should buy such an expensive foundation if it has so many disclaimers. You have to exfoliate, moisturise, and then be sure to remove it properly. OH and you can't wear it too often! But, trust me. When you look at your reflection in the mirror and see the person looking back at you, it's worth it. People think make up is a way to cover up the person you are. But for me, it's so I can see myself. REALLY see myself for the confident girl that I know I am. But I usually can't see past the terrible skin. It stops me before I can even begin to explore my true nature. So in theory, my insecurities shut me out. But make up lets me break that door down, and be comfortable in my own skin. Okay, this review just got way too sentimental. If you're still unsure, get a sample. It'll be worth it in the end. I promise.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Great for oily skin. It does even perform better on oily skin as it gives a nice dewy finish after few hours of wearing it. It is full coverage. Downside is you have to blend it quickly as it dries up fast. Otherwise you gonna have patches.

For reference i am NC42 using the shade 4W1 honey bronze

on 7/19/2016 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I really really wanted to love this foundation... Like, out of all the foundations I've tried, this last a long time!! Even at the end of the day, my makeup still looks good ! You gotta be careful though, if you use too much... It can be really cakey. A little goes a long way. HOWEVER!!! This foundation makes me break out. Everytime I wear it, my face starts to feel itchy.. also, you can definitely feel like you're wearing a foundation. Seriously, when I stopped wearing it, my face clears up and becomes smooth again. I guess I would just be wearing this foundation for special events because I paid around $40 for it, not wasting that much money. When I finished with it, I'm definitely NOT PURCHASING IT AGAIN.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This foundation leaves me feeling so conflicted... I absolutely LOVE the finish. It's full coverage and while it doesn't have a "no makeup makeup" look it definitely doesn't get cakey on my skin. It also lasts like no other foundation I've ever tried. I can apply this in the morning, go through my entire work day, and go straight from work to dinner or drinks out in town without worrying that my face has broken down. The cons are two big ones for me: firstly it has NO PUMP. For a foundation this expensive there is no reason it shouldn't come with a pump. If I can spend $5 on a foundation and get a pump I should definitely get one for $40. Also this oxidized on my skin like no other! And I mean orange beyond the point of any possible recovery, no matter how I set it or which powder I use. And I got less than half way through my bottle before the entire thing had completely oxidized. I'm very disappointed as I've always been careful not to leave the cap off or let it be exposed to the air too long. I basically can't use the foundation anymore despite there being loads left (unless I somehow turn into the color of a pumpkin, in which case the foundation will match perfectly).

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

I bought this foundation a little over a year ago. At first, I would use my Real Techniques expert face brush and I found it to be too heavy for my preference. I do have hyperpigmentation and tend to break out on my cheeks and still felt that it was too "fake" looking. I then started applying it with a damp cosmetic sponge (real techniques sponge) and I really like the way it looks! It blends out flawlessly and is buildable to cover scars and acne but the sponge makes it look more like your skin. I love foundations and I am always trying a new one but I have recently come back to this one. It is extremely long lasting. I wore this to a beach wedding in Mexico (very humid) and it rained all night. When I arrived back to the hotel at 1pm my makeup was still in tact! It is very great for oily skin and it does not cling to my dry patches (when I use retin-A. If you have dry skin try using this with a damp cosmetic sponge and prime your skin with something like Mac fix plus before applying the foundation. You don't have to set with a powder if you have dry skin. This foundation does dry quickly so I apply to one half of my face then I move to the other half. I highly recommend this product!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

My mom bought me Estee lauder Double Wear when i was 15 at macy's. So I was set on buying a foundation that would actually cover my acne/acne scars. I was sat down and glammed over and when i saw the result i was so happy i actually cried!
It covered my acne and scars to perfection, i thought i would never see myself without acne again but i did!
Super light weight, amazing coverage. My #1 FAVORITE foundation, i am about to turn 20 years old and this foundation is the one i devote my life to.
I have also tried dermablend, but as of coverage they both do the same to me, dermablend is more heavy duty, extremely drying and looks and feels cakey. Whereas Double Wear does not leave that feeling and its easy to apply.

When it comes to price, and me being on the poorer end (lol) it is well worth the investment. I actually first tried it when it cost $32 or $35 USD and now its $38...

The packaging is kinda crappy, i hate that it does not have a pump or like those squeezable ones because you either
1. spill everywhere and cry
2. pour too much out
3. and when its almost done its hard to get the last drops out!

but love love love this foundation 100% recommend for acneprone skin