Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 6/12/2017 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I love this foundation!! This is one of my HG all time favorite foundations! I always come back to this one after experimenting with other foundations.

Pros:
Oil free
Long wearing
Sweat proof (it stayed on after an intense work out)
Mattifying
Full coverage

Cons:
Can look a bit cakey

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I gave this a 5/5, because it does what it claims. I can NOT wear this whatsoever in the winter time, when I need something like MUFE face and body or Armani Maestro Glow (the one that's mostly oil based.). However, ladies if you are looking for a foundation that will not budge on humid summer days - and nights ;) - then this is it. My skin is dry, but I use Argan Oil every single morning so it doesn't dry me out in the summer. It almost feels like a clay mask when applying but my face feels like I'm wearing nothing once it dries. I noticed how light this felt in contrast to other foundations after applying a MAC full coverage foundation the next day, where I could literally feel my makeup trying to slip off.

And the rumors are true, this foundation does make skin appear airbrushed. I use 4c but I need to buy one cool shade lighter to mix for the right shade when i'm less tan. Worth it. But again, this is a summer staple for this dry skinned gal, unfortunately, and it is so drying in the winter on my skin.

on 11/23/2016 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

First order of business: this foundation is very matte, and so it For Sure needs to be used sparingly and always, always with a damp beauty blender!
I bought into all the hype and have been using it for a few months now, so I think I can fairly say that overtop of well-moisturized/primed skin it looks perfectly matte and flawless (and on that note, cream/liquid blush is key for this level of matte-ness). That being said, it's easy to mess up, meaning it will look cakey, weirdly obvious and matte (like a clay mask) and just... not what you want.

It definitely is the longest lasting foundation I've ever used, for example I had to carefully change into a white turtleneck after I did my makeup last week and there was almost no transfer (!?!). I never cared that much about staying-power in my youth, but as I'm in my 30s now and I have a million things to do in a day, I don't want to worry about my makeup failing me. I don't want to be checking mirrors all day - I wanna know my face looks as good as it did when left my house. With Double-wear, at the end of the day my makeup is still set.
When I don't want to feel like I'm wearing too much makeup (bc you can feel it on your skin, it's not one of those weightless foundations, especially if your skin isn't well moisturized, it can feel tight) or worry about making a mistake, I switch to my Fit Me matte and poreless, but, again, it's not as long-lasting.
Colour-wise I can see what people are annoyed about, as it does have a yellowish undertone. I always have some yellow that I combat so I just mix a bit of lavender corrector in and it's not a problem.
Lastly, I was playing around once with a Luminous primer underneath (Laura Mercier) and later when I checked my make-up it was a disaster. The Marc Jacobs primer is perfect.
All in all it's a fussy foundation but I kind of like the process, so it'll be a keeper for the foreseeable future.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation looks beautiful on the skin. I am very oily and this foundation did wonders, it stayed in place and it didn't oxidize. It is very thick but it blends out very nice and does not look cakey at all. Unfortunately it broke me out horribly mind you, I do not have sensitive skin and no other foundation had broke me out like this. I loved everything else about it so I kept trying to give it another chance, I would stop using it to let my face recover but as soon as I used it again it broke me out. I do recommend it because it's an amazing foundation if it doesn't brake you out.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely one of my top 3 foundations of all time. I didn't give it a perfect 5 star rating because I don't use it by itself anymore, I always mix it with either one of my other 2 favorites (Lancome Tient Idole Ultra 24hr or L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte). I used to use this foundation by itself in the old formula years ago but my needs and preferences in foundation have since changed and this doesn't quite fit the bill on its own anymore. But when mixed, the combo becomes holy grail for me.

For reference, I have mostly oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin but can have some dry patches here and there.
All the info down below is based on the foundation by itself, not mixed and applied with a flat top brush (Sigma F80).

--Texture & Application--
Not very thick, a little runny but it's not too thin either. You don't need much, a little goes a long way and it blends in very smoothly and very easily. I don't find it dries too quickly but that depends on your skin and it's still best to work in sections.
--Coverage & Finish--
High medium/medium-full coverage depending on your skin but it definitely can be built up to complete full coverage (it's best to build up in thin layers - careful not to build up too much or it can go cakey). The finish isn't too matte, it's more of a natural matte or demi-matte. I feel this foundation can work for almost all skin types, including dry depending on how you prep beforehand. I find it to not settle in pores or lines for me and it looks overall very smooth and flawless. It takes a couple minutes for it to set completely on me and a smidgen of slight tackiness still remains so in my opinion, it doesn't dry down to a powder finish and it's best set with a light powder. It doesn't tend to look cakey on me but it's not a super natural foundation. Though because it's not too matte, it doesn't look overly unnatural either. Out of all 3 of my favorites, this is the most forgiving in terms of dryness. It's not quite as apt to clinging onto things as much as the other two can. Really pretty finish.
--Feel & Wear--
It's not the most lightweight foundation (not as lightweight as the Lancome or L'oreal), I can sorta feel it on but neither is it too heavy. It wears really well, the current longest wearing foundation out of my 3 favorites. Sadly, it's not as long wearing as the original formula though. It wears well in heat, humidity, sweat and water. I could wear it for a full 24 hours if I wanted (though it probably wouldn't look very good). Oddly enough, it's oil control though, is not quite as good as the Lancome or the L'oreal - probably due to it not being completely matte. It still has good oil control but not the best I've come across. I don't find it to dry my skin out at all either.

Overall, I love this foundation and it's worth the money. I notice a huge difference in the way my skin looks with this foundation vs a lot of cheaper foundations, it just looks way better. The color selection is also very nice and the undertones it comes in matches my skin tone perfectly which can be hard to find for me. But seriously Estee Lauder..you're going to increase the price from $34- $38 in just a matter of a couple years and still not put a pump on it?? Please, please..just put a damn pump on it, please.

on 8/22/2016 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The Estee Lauder DW is a very unique and beautiful foundation and I've given it such a high rating because if it didn't cause me to slightly breakout this would be my holy grail for summer months and for events.

The consistency is light, goes on smoothly with any type of application method, provides medium to full coverage but can be sheered as well with a primer or moisturiser. The most important thing is that it matches my skin tone. I am a NC35 and use Tawny 3W1.

I have received compliments with this foundation but people know it's foundation, i know it's not natural looking, like say a TM. This gives an airbrushed look, keeps you matte and stays on all day, not sure about transfer resistant, bc of my skin type.

I have oily skin so this gets dewy on my nose and chin, but that in my book is great. Most break up and become overall shiny, this does not. It holds oil very well and does not break apart on my face.

I love this, but because I hate dealing with any possibility of breakouts I tend to stay away, and stick to products not so heavy duty. If you like flawless makeup and you don't breakout from this I consider you really lucky.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I was so excited to try this because I sweat a lot and have oily skin. It's been a long and hard road trying to find the perfect long lasting foundation. This was good, but it wasn't great. The coverage is medium to full (more on the full) and although it's very liquidy it's still kind of thick and can definitely feel and look mask like. This didn't do a great job at controlling my oil but it definitely held up better than some foundations, which is disappointing because of its long wearing claims. This is also not very transfer resistant and rubbed off a lot where my bangs are and around my temples. My contour and highlight also faded a lot more than usual when I wore this. I also noticed that when I sweat it really broke down and faded on my nose no matter what finishing powder I used. I will use up the rest of my bottle, but there are better long wearing foundations out there that actually last and control oil and don't break down when you sweat (MAC ProLong Wear, Kat Von D Lock It, Hourglass Vanish Seamless Foundation Stick).

on 8/19/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I am convinced that the MUA rating of this foundation will never change. Literally. Okay, now that I've put my dumb observation out there, I'll get into the actual review lol. This foundation is LOVE. Stay away from this foundation if you have close to perfect skin or if you just need some light evening out of the skin. This stuff is heavy duty. And once you get used to looking flawless, you can never really look back.

First things first. Yes, this stuff is thick and will absolutely look like you have make up on. This is not a "my skin but better" foundation. I really do wish there was a foundation out there that is full coverage and is also invisible, but I'm afraid such a thing does not exist. This foundation comes close, though. It depends on your application technique. I pat it into the skin with a flat top kabuki. If you stippled like two drops into your skin, it could be pretty sheer. A little goes a long way, and one bottle will last you a very, very long time.

Ladies, I need COVERAGE. I mean it. I have acne scars all over my cheeks that are about 5 shades darker than my skin. They look terrible and I can not put any other make up on until they are concealed. I can't just put some lipstick on and be out the door. It looks terrible. Now, I've tried concealing. I really have. Light foundation+heavy concealer was my routine for a while until I realised I could easily learn a language using all that time I spent concealing each individual scar before foundation. It was a nightmare. Till I found this.

This stuff covers everything. I have dark scarring, so I do have to colour correct before applying it, but the rest of the job is done by this baby. I usually don't need more than 2 layers on the scarring. And yes, that is a big deal for me, because this is some of the worst scarring I've ever had to deal with. Other foundations wouldn't come close with even 50 layers if I tried. Set with powder, and no one can even begin to imagine the demon that lies underneath. No but seriously, you should set this stuff if you want that coverage to last. Not the foundation itself, but the layering you've done in certain areas. And that will be true for any foundation you use. Hugs, resting your face in your hands, making a phone call, etc are all a part of daily life and unfortunately are also ways your foundation rubs off. So make sure to lightly set. I do not believe in "transfer resistant" foundation. I don't think such a thing exists. But what I can say is, this stuff does not transfer easily. You'd have to really dig your face into someone's shoulder to leave your mark on them.

This stays on all day, and all night. I can work through the day and then be clubbing the entire night with this stuff on if I wanted to. Not that I go clubbing, though. You need a social life for that. And friends. Just kidding, haha. That said, I have dry skin. It is drrry. But if I exfoliate and moisturise beforehand, it's never a problem. No flakes.

BUT. There's a but. If I don't have time to do some physical exfoliation (scrubs), my chemical exfoliant from the night before does NOT cut it. This foundation will age your skin if you do not exfoliate and moisturise. It will settle into any lines you have, and will catch onto every dry flake you have. And it'll look even worse if you're used to buffing and not patting foundation into your skin.

You need cleansing oil/balm to get this foundation off your face. It is thick and cleansing wipes will get off maybe the first layer. You need to cleanse thoroughly. This does not break me out unless I'm lazy with cleansing. I mean it. Get every drop off. Your cotton pads should come out white. Also- this is not an everyday foundation. You can make it so if you're ready to spend 15 minutes removing it at night every single day. But I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

By now, you're probably wondering why you should buy such an expensive foundation if it has so many disclaimers. You have to exfoliate, moisturise, and then be sure to remove it properly. OH and you can't wear it too often! But, trust me. When you look at your reflection in the mirror and see the person looking back at you, it's worth it. People think make up is a way to cover up the person you are. But for me, it's so I can see myself. REALLY see myself for the confident girl that I know I am. But I usually can't see past the terrible skin. It stops me before I can even begin to explore my true nature. So in theory, my insecurities shut me out. But make up lets me break that door down, and be comfortable in my own skin. Okay, this review just got way too sentimental. If you're still unsure, get a sample. It'll be worth it in the end. I promise.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I purchased this in 'cashew' (i am a NC42). i would've liked to get Honey Bronze but it was discontinued. I tried this a few years ago and it broke me out terribly...however i decided to give it another go. i actually love this foundation. it stays matte, is easy to apply and looks flawless. unfortunately i started breaking out in cystic acne, and stupidly persisted for almost 2 weeks with this. My skin was totally f**ked by then. i gave up and decided to return the product. im still trying to get my skin back to normal. this works beautifully on my sister who wears Shell Beige. The Cashew colour suited my yellow undertones and didnt settle into creases. i so wish it had worked for me. You also have to make sure you double cleanse as it really does stay put!!!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Great for oily skin. It does even perform better on oily skin as it gives a nice dewy finish after few hours of wearing it. It is full coverage. Downside is you have to blend it quickly as it dries up fast. Otherwise you gonna have patches.

For reference i am NC42 using the shade 4W1 honey bronze