Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Green age: 19-24
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Doublewear has got to be one of the most over rated foundations! Reviews online and all my friends raved about this foundation so I gave into all the hype.

The first problem with this foundation is the colour range. I was matched with Ivory Nude which I'm pretty sure is one of the lightest shades however it was a weird orange/yellow shade on my skin. I have no idea who has this shade of skin tone?

The second issue is that it has the worst texture I have ever seen. I have young, line free combination skin that is rectified with a good moisturiser however this foundation makes my skin look extremely dehydrated, shows fine lines I don't even have and makes my pores look HUGE.No matter if I use a buffing brush, foundation brush or damp sponge, it looks thick, powdery and cakey. From far away, it may look okay but close up it looks disgusting.

I always know when somebody is wearing this foundation because it is so thick and cakey.

The only positives I can think of is that it definitely is long lasting! I need to double cleanse to get this stuff off my face and thankfully it doesn't irritate or break my skin out.

Overall, a very disappointing foundation that doesn't work with my skin at all! It makes me look awful, really cheap and nasty looking. I expected so much more. Maybe it works best for really oily skin?

If you desperately want to try this foundation, I would recommend getting a sample as it is quite pricey. Needless to say, I'm still on the hunt for my HG foundation.

So overhyped.
This foundation is absolutely horrible.
It is cakey. It shows ALL of your pores. It's too yellowy. The bottle is horrible. The price is ridiculous.
Just a mess.
I have tried every different way of applying this foundation and different primers underneath to see if I'm just doing it wrong, but no.
I have no idea why people like this. Maybe the formula is different? But I would highly recommend NOT buying this. Revlon Colorstay is a MUCH better alternative for a reasonable price.
Extremely disappointed.

I don't like this foundation since it feels so heavy on my skin.

I like full cover foundations, but this one is not a good one for me.

Also if you try to apply more layers, it creates patches in the application, which i never have with other foundations!

and there is no pump on the bottle, which kind of sucks.

on 9/18/2015 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I WANTED TO LOVE THIS SO BAD.

I read numerous reviews on how this didn't break people out and how it combatted oil all day and still looked natural but THIS ABSOLUTELY 100% DID NOT DO THAT FOR ME.

I'll start with the good because I feel like it is an amazing and luxurious foundation, it just didn't work on me the way I wanted it to and thought it would have.

First off, the shade I got was a PERFECT MATCH for my fair skin, I got the shade 1N1. So it's pretty light and ridiculously fair. I applied it on freshly washed, dried AND moisturized skin with some Benefit's Porefessional on my T-zone and my Almay primer (the one with the green and purple swirl on the inside). I then used a damp Real Techniques makeup sponge and began to blend the product all over my face.
I don't know if it's just me (it might be, judging by the reviews on this) but I found that with a light layer of this on, it didn't cover any acne or acne scarring for me. Yet, when I would add more foundation on, it just looked too cakey.

Ahh, here's the best part. The wear throughout the day. It was HORRIBLE for me. My skin is SUPER OILY, and it didn't combat that at all. The oil separated the foundation on my face and left me shiny really badly and it even separated badly on my chin, around my mouth, on my nose, and my forehead. It looked disgusting, and when I got home, I was mortified that I was walking around campus all day looking like that! It was gross!
I gave this a go a few more times and I kept getting the same result: gross and oily.

Oh and this broke me out super bad all over my forehead and all over my chin. The best part is that I just got rid of my acne and now it's back. It took 2 years to get rid of it all, too. Back to square one, I guess. Ugh.

I have yet to find a concealer/foundation that won't break me out and won't separate all over my skin. I'm still on the hunt for one because I am DESPERATE.

Overall, I personally wouldn't purchase again. It was too expensive anyway for the amount you get, too.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I switched to this makeup from the Lancôme 24hour wear makeup because they didn't have my color match. I use cool bone because I have pink undertones and this is the best match I've ever had to my skin. I have been wearing this stuff in 90 degree humid weather and this lasts about 8 hours on my face before it starts to separate on my skin. I found the best method of applying this foundation is to first sort of rub it in with your fingers one section at a time then use the beauty blender. I set this foundation with urban decays oil control finishing spray this stuff is just wonderful and does not cause breakouts.

UPDATE: This makeup broke me out like NO other this is not for people with acne prone skin. This doesn't come off when you wash your face I have to use a makeup remover wipe as well with lots of residue. I have since switched back to Clinique stay matte and becca ultimate coverage for when I have a night out on the town.

on 3/9/2015 12:02:00 AM

One of the worst foundations I've ever used. DOES NOT blend. Very dry at first, then settles into creases but looks like an oil slick after 30 minutes

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Massively disappointed with this foundation. I have very pale skin, with red cheeks, acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and chin. I have oily skin, and large pores, so it's hard finding something which is light enough for my skin tone, but offers a full coverage to disguise my flaws, whilst controlling my oily skin. I read all the glowing reviews of this product and watched videos on YouTube raving about it, so thought I'd give it a go. "You'll become addicted to this product", the lady at the EL counter in Boots told me...

There is a good range of colours, and the shade I have does suit my skin quite nicely....until it oxidises and turns orange! I found it hard to get a good coverage with this product, and found that even after 2 hours I had to reapply it, especially in the areas of my face where I have large pores, as it had sunk into the pores but worn off my actual skin. At first, I wondered if it was just my technique, but after applying it with a sponge, brush and even my fingers I still experience the same thing.

I achieve much better results with my 10 Bourjois foundation, which I will be sticking with in future!

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So disappointed with this....

Really needed a new foundation and was wanted something different to the one i have been using for years (Mac Studio Fix SPF 15) and really researched around.... I have really oily skin so wanted something that wouldn't slide off my face after a few hours and keep my makeup in place!

First off - this is expensive. I paid £32.50 and thats the highest i've paid for a foundation so had high hopes.

Dont get me wrong, the packaging looks fancy. It's in a really nice, glass clear bottle and looks good on my makeup desk! But it doesnt come with a pump and they dont even sell one seperatly. You waste sooo much product when you have to pour it on your hand (Also, it stains your hands for hours!!!)

Maybe i was putting it on wrong, maybe it's my skin, not sure...But it didnt look great at all. It's quite clay-like and has a pinkish tone. It's really thick but still managed to slide around my face and made me extremely oily.

I got my friend to try this who has normal-dry skin and she hated it, agreed it was like a clay mask and didnt like the tone of it.

There's better out there - i've gone back to my mac one and now used mac primer and the Becca Ever Matte Poreless Primer (AMAZING!)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.