Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Green age: 19-24
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this foundation! It sits on the skin really well. You have to use it with a good primer otherwise I think it slides off the face and clings to any dry patches you might have. When wearing this I don't use any concealer as the foundation is already high coverage. I set the main areas with powder still. Its a full coverage foundation with good consistency.
However the only thing that lets it down is the bottle itself. It has no pump but you can get one for an additional cost.So if you are just pouring it be careful as you might pour too much and waste it. You get a pretty standard amount of product in the bottle.
I would definitely repurchase this as its one of my go to foundations.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I wanna start with the packaging. The packaging really bothers me because it would be my fault if I slipped and broke the bottle, I'm super clumsy, sorry! I still need to lighten the shade a bit and I'm in shade 1C0 Shell. The lightest shade on the Sephora website. THE LIGHTEST! If I still need to lighten the product to get it to match me perfectly then you know I'm pale. The formula is not my favourite, it might be to someone else, but for me it's just too cakey and looks patchy in certain areas and I know I'm blending it in correctly. Overall, not the worst but would not buy again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So disappointed with this....

Really needed a new foundation and was wanted something different to the one i have been using for years (Mac Studio Fix SPF 15) and really researched around.... I have really oily skin so wanted something that wouldn't slide off my face after a few hours and keep my makeup in place!

First off - this is expensive. I paid £32.50 and thats the highest i've paid for a foundation so had high hopes.

Dont get me wrong, the packaging looks fancy. It's in a really nice, glass clear bottle and looks good on my makeup desk! But it doesnt come with a pump and they dont even sell one seperatly. You waste sooo much product when you have to pour it on your hand (Also, it stains your hands for hours!!!)

Maybe i was putting it on wrong, maybe it's my skin, not sure...But it didnt look great at all. It's quite clay-like and has a pinkish tone. It's really thick but still managed to slide around my face and made me extremely oily.

I got my friend to try this who has normal-dry skin and she hated it, agreed it was like a clay mask and didnt like the tone of it.

There's better out there - i've gone back to my mac one and now used mac primer and the Becca Ever Matte Poreless Primer (AMAZING!)

I was so sceptical of Double Wear, but holy heck am I hooked now! I
Pros:
Elegant packaging. I feel like a fancy b***h every time I pull it out of my makeup drawer (every single day, it's just so good)
The liquid formula isn't too thick. I prefer to roughly spread it over my skin before blending with my RT sponge, and I really enjoy the thinner consistency of this.
The coverage. I believe it's a a medium-full coverage foundation, but I typically apply enough for a medium coverage. It can easily be built to full coverage though. I think it looks pretty and skinlike, natural matte.
Sits well with my Tarte Shape Tape concealer (I use that for my eye area)
Has great lasting power. It doesn't seperate or slide off of my oily skin, and I can usually get 5-6 hours of wear before I want to blot. However, if I sweat for hours (as I do working with no air con this summer) I find it does tend to seperate.

Cons:
It's hella expensive! $69NZD and it's the most I've ever spent on a foundation.
NO PUMP. Sometimes it's just too easy to use too much of this liquid gold because it's so easy to pour onto your waiting hand (or brush, sponge, or even the bathroom counter, oops)

I'm now onto my second bottle (1C1 Cool Bone) and I have every intention to repurchase when I run out.

on 1/13/2018 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have super oily skin and I've been trying to find a long wearing foundation for as long as I can remember. I've considered buying this for years but I'm not a fan of heavy matte looking finishes so I was always wary, and the first time I swatched this the scent reminded me of that foundation smell of paint which I don't love . My usual favourite foundation is mac face and body and this is almost the opposite to that.
I use a hydrating primer underneath as I find its best, and if I add some all nighters setting spray this looks almost dewy so you can definitely avoid a cake face.
I apply with a beauty blender and it's generally fine but I can't seem to build this product at all, not in the slightest? I'm not sure why but I find if I try and add slightly more coverage it will disturb and remove the foundation underneath leaving me with horrible patches. It's something I've noticed also happens when I conceal under my eyes afterwards too. I don't mind too much as it's a small area but it's not ideal and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!
I got the colour sand, which matches me well when I'm not fake tanned but I don't mind wearing extra bronzer when my body is more tanned, although I think I'm going to purchase a more warm tanned tone to match me better. The price isn't too crazy as it performs so I don't mind buying another shade as I'll need it in summer anyway if I keep using this.
The staying power of this is not over hyped at all, it's fantastic and lasts all day long. Not just a 8 hour work day, it can stay looking beautiful well over 12 hours and beyond. I tend to use a blotting sheet at some point during the day as my skin is super oily so inevitably my skin will start getting a sheen at some point, but this blots beautifully.
I can't be certain but I have suspicions that this is starting to break me out. I'm getting spots in places I would never usually get them. It's disappointing because I otherwise love this product but I don't want to sacrifice my skin for any makeup product so it's something I'll keep an eye on. I do really like this foundation so if I have to step up my skincare routine and products then I probably would but it's not ideal haha!

Overall I do love this but I am still undecided because I'm sure it's giving me bloody spots! But I would recommend this, and the hype is well deserved! X

on 12/8/2017 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily.

PROS-
Shade- a very good match to my fair, neutral skin (I use 1N1).

Coverage- a medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through.

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 7-9 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin.

CONS-
Formula- for me this is the biggest con. I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. It also cannot build on itself- I used to apply a little like concealer over any spots I had, but it would always set much darker than the rest of my face so I would end up having little orange splotches over the places I tried to cover. If you want full coverage you have to go in heavily w it cause once it sets, that's it. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and decent wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for that to me it's worth it.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and can sometimes pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation.

Packaging- of course, cause no one likes that it doesn't come w a gd pump lol

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. For now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Estée Lauder is the 4th foundation I have tried! I have struggled so much in finding a foundation that fits my oily skin! I wanted something that made me look matte but not like a doll and I finally found that with Estée Lauder double wear!

I did love the matte finish I got from urban decay all night however there colours were just not right for my skin hence me looking for a new foundation after 3 attempts my 4th attempt was finally successful with Estée Lauder, I wear the foundation all day at work in a warm office and come home to make up that has not budged! Great for my oily skin, yes I do need to add a little powder toward the end of the day but this is miles better than any other foundation I have tried!

on 11/14/2017 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

The coverage is pretty nice. It will look good on those who have to cover up acne.
If you have a dry skin, it will make it even more dry by the end of the day.
After 9-10 hours you will see it will start to clump around the eye area.

4 out 5 because of it makes the dry skin even more dry.

FIRST, let me say I have extremely sensitive skin. Meaning anything cheap, or small can cause the littlest thing to go wrong with my skin. I've had foundations that turned my skin red, into rashes, into acne outbreaks, basically you name it. This is the FIRST one that I can honestly say didn't. What you see is what you get, other reviews say it oxidizes, but for me it did not. The shades I apply is the shade that's on hours later. I never find myself touching up this foundation. It's build able which I like. If you wanna go light with you can, or if you want that heavier make up look that's possible as well with this estee foundation. It stays on lock down. I have dry skin, so I hydrate with their moisturizer before applying. My mom, is however oily not dry and it works for her as well. Yes, it's a bit pricey but a bottle lasts me three months and that's wearing it just about everyday. I work at Hooters and it with stands all the heat, running around, and looking glamours that my job requires. No questions asked it's my everyday GO TO foundation!