Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.9

on 9/14/2017 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily, and my skin tone is fair with neutral undertones. What's trickiest about this product to me is the application, bc if you apply it the wrong way you will end up with a very heavy, cakey mess. Because there's no pump rather than pouring it onto the back of my hand/a palette and risk wasting product, I simply put my index finger over the opening, covering it completely, and then give the bottle a couple shakes. There will be enough product on my fingertip that I can cover about half my face- BUT because this foundation sets so incredibly fast you cannot dab it all over your face and blend each section, so I usually wipe some of the foundation from my finger back into the bottle and then do one section of my face at a time. I've found for me it works best when applied with my hands as I prefer to warm the product up and get it to really sink into my skin. I've also found the best application technique is to really rub it into my skin (almost like a moisturizer), bc it often becomes patchy, heavy, and can cake up if I use patting/stippling motions. You also cannot use too much at once, or else it ends up looking very heavy/cakey and mask-like and the longevity and overall look of it greatly decreases.

PROS-
Shade- the best match I've found for my skin, so much so that I can often use it just to spot conceal on days where I want less coverage. I use 1N1.

Coverage- a high medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through. It does build very nicely though so I usually go in where I need more coverage w a second layer (you *have* to work in layers w this foundation bc as mentioned above if you go in w too much all in one go it will totally ruin it).

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this is both a pro and a con for me. This foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 8-10 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin, and after a couple hours the finish turns satin-dewy.

CONS-
Formula- for me personally, I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for my one bottle has lasted me over a year now (with me using this the majority of the time I wear makeup), so the price is worth it for me in the end.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and also pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation. Blotting with a little puff (and sometimes the puff w translucent powder) does help this however.

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. I don't want to award it HG just yet bc I really would prefer if it lasted longer on my skin, but truly I do absolutely love this foundation and it is my favourite (overall rating on MUA is a 5/5 lippies from me!). After becoming familiar w the formula it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Hopefully one day I will find a primer or even a different foundation that will add up to my HG, but for now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

on 9/8/2017 4:16:00 PM

I've been wearing this for a few years, tried things in between but always come back to this. I need something matte and long wearing that doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I have oily, large pores, acne prone skin btw & I can't use anything with SD alcohol aka alcohol denat. because of my sensitive skin.
Tarte - Breaks me out
MUFE mat velvet + - Cause overload of oil production
Nars luminous - I was luminous alright
Nars TM- greasy mess
Laura Mercier TM - See above

... anyways you get the idea, nothing works for me. I continue the hunt for something less heavy duty that can control my oil or at least not leave me looking messy, until then I wear ELDW on the daily. Winter I am 2N1 Desert Beige and sometimes Sand, then in summer I am the shade Tawny.

I apply it with a brush and paint it on then smooth it out with my fingers or a sponge.

I've already reviewed this foundation like 4x but now I'm back because I have additional comments on it (because I care about my makeup that much and I'm not ashamed of it).

Is it just me or do certain newer bottles of ELDW feel like they've been, erm... reformulated? This is hard to explain but I'll do my best. I've bought several shades over the last few months to play with because it's summer and I'm tanning. It's almost as if the the most recent stock-ups of Double Wear feel slightly more runny and have less of that cement-esque feel that I remember. Picked up a shade of 2W0 Warm Vanilla (new shade) and it felt oddly different. Ended up returning it because it was too pale and exchanged it for 2W2 Rattan which was thicker, more coverage and had the slight tacky feeling after application. Its almost as if Estee Lauder tried to do a sneaky reformulation and now the older bottles are swimming around with the new ones...

on 7/9/2017 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.

on 7/8/2017 7:46:00 PM

This is my holy frail foundation. I tried so many that I had this one in my Sephora cart months before trying it. I didn't want to waste anymore money.
Surprisingly, my skin is quite dry but this works amazing for it. I do not have to wear any setting powder and it doesn't crease under my eyes. Most days I don't use any concealer. It truly lasts all day, too. I have put this on and left the house at 7am and not washed it off until close to 10pm (although I try not to ever have makeup on that long) and it looked the same as when I had first applied it.
It does not clog my pores or irritate my skin at all, so I am able to wear this everyday if I feel like it. A lot of foundations always break me out and I need to give my skin a break from using them. Not this one! Also the color match is spot on. I am the lightest shade but it doesn't leave me feeling like a ghost.
Lastly, this is my first foundation that I've finished an entire bottle of. Already repurchased.

on 6/30/2017 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Have been using this for years and love it. Tried numerous other foundations but they did not stand up to the power of Double Wear. Makes my skin look great - everyone compliments this foundation on me. I use shade "Ivory Beige" which I would normally think was too light for me but because its a neutral tone it is perfect. I noticed that all reviewers here from 16 - 60 love it. Highly recommend!! :):)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Excellent matte or almost matte foundation. Wide color choice from cool light to deep dark rich.

Pro: Coverage is full. I put some on my hand and you could see the brighteners and titanium or zinc oxide which makes a reflective cover to hide skin flaws and even tone.

Easy to blend, especially if you use a foam blender.

Wears all day.

No scent, seems to work on sensitive skin.

Cons: It probably will photograph too light (there is a lot of titanium or zinc oxide that is reflective in flash.)
It doesn't have a pump.

It really is full coverage. If you want sheer, my skin-but-better, not your foundation.

on 6/17/2017 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Wow! I love this stuff.

I'm a foundation junkie. I rarely buy the same thing twice. I've tried SO many foundations; all of Cliniques and MACs, I've tried makeup forever, Dior, benefit, Sephora collection, hourglass, Josie maran, Lancôme, many of the drug store brands (more recently bourjois), Marc jacobs....if Sephora sells it I've probably had a bottle at some point over the years.

This stuff is my holy grail of foundation. It's awesome. Once it's on, it doesn't budge all day. I usually put my makeup on around 7:30am and take it off around 9pm. Usually with other brands the make up has worn off and it looks streaky, and my face looks a little oily.

This stuff is amazing. Nice medium coverage and matte finish, I don't even have to use a concealer or a powder. By the evening, my makeup looks the same as it did that morning. I have combination/oily skin. No oiliness at all.

The BEST foundation I have ever used. Will be in my makeup bag forever (until I find the next best thing). Would highly recommend it unless you have dry skin. Make sure you use a foundation brush to apply as well.

And at $46 a bottle it's practically free!! Great price point.

I really like this foundation for everyday use. Its light, natural looking and very easy to apply.

The foundation does do what it says on the packaging - "double-wear, long lasting". I was very happy with this foundation in terms of how it looked throughout the day. My skin can become very oily throughout the day but I never had any issues with this product as it seemed to absorb all of the excess oils my body was producing. It also is so light that I never broke out with this makeup which I loved.

In terms of colour - They have a very good range of color shades that can easily match any skin tone (even though originally I had to speak to at least 5 different women who were supposed to be "experts" at color matching an they all got it wrong.)

I would say that this foundation is for you If you have combination skin, I have dryer skin and this foundation would accentuate all of the dry patches on my face (however much moisturizer I applied) which gave me this awful patchy look.

The issue I had most with this foundation is that even though it does last all day - the coverage is very minimal. I had to apply lots of layers of this product just to get a minimal coverage (which was a pain since the bottles are only the size of a small hand sanitizer bottle and I had to keep replacing my foundation.) My skin is also quite sensitive and because of the lack of coverage with this foundation, I had patches of red and patches of covered areas all across my forehead, nose and chin.

The packaging is not very good because again, It's so small that you have to go get a new bottle quite often depending ion how you use it. It's also a glass bottle which isn't very practical for travelling etc.

I found that the price of this foundation would be amazing if you had a bigger bottle size and or didn't have to use as much product to build decent coverage. It seems as if you get slightly ripped off in terms of the amount of product you actually receive when you spend £32, because it isn't a lot - especially when you use a lot of it to build a decent coverage. However, you're paying for the brand "Estee Lauder" so it isn't going to be as cheap as drugstore makeup.

I really hated the fact that I had to stop using this foundation because it was so light on my skin it almost felt as if you weren't wearing any makeup.

on 5/24/2017 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

If you have dry skin and want to use this product prepare to do a lot of prep so it doesn't completely dry out your skin. Even then, wearing a moisturiser under this foundation makes it not set for hours so it transfers every time you touch your face.

I also found that it enhanced the fine lines around my eyes and cracks when I smile.

Can't argue with the coverage though. It's very full coverage and probably best for someone with normal or oily skin.