Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.9

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/15/2017 1:45:00 PM

I put off buying this for years. Probably because I despise trends and tend to do them till others catch on. (I got a tattoo in 1984. Listen, there weren't even "tattoo artists" in 1984.)

This works very well for me. Two common complaints befuddle me. One, that it is hard to get off. Two words: micellar water. Done. Also, that it doesn't have a pump and you have to pour it out. Um, whut? Remove top, put your middle finger over the rim, turn bottle upside down. Touch finger to nose, cheek, cheek. Repeat bottle action. Forehead, forehead, chin. Use brush or sponge to spread. Done.

I am lucky that I don't often have to be out for hours and hours. But when I do, I am so glad I can depend on this gem to stay in place.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have dehydrated combo skin. Ive been searching for years for a foundation that would not separate on my face. I used MUFE mat velvet for a few years but found it to be too matte and made me flakey. Colorstay was a little better but still very drying. I found this gem and have been hooked. I use a hydrating primer underneath and apply this with my Tarte airbursh brush and my face is absolutely AMAZING. I actually enjoy doing my makeup now whereas before I dreaded it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The lightest shade available in my country is Pebble. Which is way to dark and orange for me. Which is ofcourse my problem and not the product's. I bought it anyways because it made my skin look flawless and it dries very nice and quickly. Im going to try and lighten it with the La Girl Pro HD liquid foundation in White because Ive heard they have the same quick drying formula.
The only downside: the stupid opening. No pump. Just letting the product pour out...

Will report back, make up soldiers!

on 3/7/2017 9:21:00 AM

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. I bought this foundation based on all the great reviews. Unfortunately, it didn't go on evenly and believe me, I tried it on clean skin, on moisturiser and on primer. It was impossible to blend and the end result looked cakey and uneven. It just didn't work for me, IDK why :( Plus, after having tried it for a couple of days it seemed to dry out my skin.
I will stick to Lancome TIU and Clinique BB cream.

on 2/23/2017 5:09:00 PM

In my opinion this foundation is ok... but I have dry patches and it clings to them. it settles into smile lines and sinks into my pores after about 2 hours and clogs them, especially in my T zone. I have to do a deep cleanse after use. It is full coverage and can look cakey if too much is applied or I re-apply powder
overall I don't recommend this foundation if your like me.

on 2/13/2017 7:44:00 AM

Definitely a must buy. Recently bought this for the first time, haven't even had it a week and I love it so much. Amazing product for people like me who have combination skin, doesn't dry the face out but also isn't too oily, feels very light on the face and is medium to full coverage depending on how much you build it up. The coverage is really good. I think this would be a great foundation for those who have mild/moderate acne as it doesn't have any ingredients that clog the pores. The foundation stays on all day and needs very minimal top up if ever needed. Makes the face look like an airbrush finish and applies really well with a sponge / beauty blender but a brush works miracles too. It also goes perfectly with the double wear concealer!!!! Happy customer and will definitely be buying this again when I run out!

P.s make sure to actually go in to the shop and get the right colour by asking for a colour match rather than just guessing online as there may be a few shades that match your skin tone and they can apply them all on your skin so you can pick your favourite shade.

on 2/10/2017 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

mmm well i have oily skin with some spots jut just a few....This product gives you a full coverage ,it has a good duration and you will look just a bit white in photos cause SPF...The big DISADVANTAGE it is that clog your pores and skin cannot breath ...i have to do antiacne therapy after this foundation...Not for everyday!!!Warning girls!!!

on 1/19/2017 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Anyways..

CHARACTERISTICS;
-SPF 10 (some like it, others don't,but that makes it not ideal for flash photography)
-1.0 οz(30 ml)

PROS;
- It stays on all day long
-Very lightweight
-Medium,buildable coverage
-Doesn't make you look cakey or super matte,has a semi-matte but kinda natural finish
-Perfect for normal to oily skin

CONS;
-Not suitable for dry skin
-It's pricey (Sephora does a 40% off on Estee Lauder at times, so that makes it more affordable)
-It doesn't have a pump, and the container may may make it hard for you to reach all of the product.