Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.9

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 5/24/2017 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

If you have dry skin and want to use this product prepare to do a lot of prep so it doesn't completely dry out your skin. Even then, wearing a moisturiser under this foundation makes it not set for hours so it transfers every time you touch your face.

I also found that it enhanced the fine lines around my eyes and cracks when I smile.

Can't argue with the coverage though. It's very full coverage and probably best for someone with normal or oily skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really think this foundation would be perfect for oily and acne prone skin types.

I have a love/hate relationship with this product.

I love the coverage. It doesn't cause acne flare ups or breakouts. Looks great on oily areas and stays put all day. It doesn't seep into fine lines or pores so it looks flawless with one exception. If you have dry skin like I do.

It makes my dry skin look really dull and it seems to just suck the moisture out of my face! It also really dries out my under eye areas and causes dry patches and skin flaking.

I want to love this product and my oily t-zone does! But I wouldn't recommend this for combination/dry skin types.

WARNING: This review is not going to be about the formula of this amazing foundation but rather geared at people with a skin tone like mine who are having difficulty with the vast shade selection and differentiating between the undertones.

I have fair skin with a neutral undertone with a slight tinge of yellow on the neck and chest. I was originally matched at a department store to 1W1 Bone and went along with it for awhile but then later realized it was too yellow for me. This shade is a little disproportionate in my opinion because it's super yellow for how pale it is. Tried pretty much every other shade and some were better than others. 1C1 Cool Bone is fair but has a peachy orange undertone that I hated, 1N1 Ivory nude is a lovely creamy shade but a little *too* pale, 1N2 Ecru is an interesting shade that looks great on some days but weird on others, 2N1 Desert Beige is a unique shade that would look beautiful on somebody who has light skin with olive undertones etc.
Recently Estee Lauder released a couple new random shades so I decided to try 2W0 Warm Vanilla aaaaaand... it's perfect! It's actually less yellow than Bone. It's a really pretty shade for us girls that are pale skinned but with only slight yellow undertones. So I would concur that the numbering system is a little out of sync. It would probably be best to sample several shades before making the purchase of this foundation.

P.S If I am fake tanning I use (or mix) 3W1 Tawny because its such a beautiful olive tanned shade that doesn't look orange and complements the tan.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I had wanted to try this for ages after hearing so much about it so I went and got my free 10 day sample. If I'm going to be honest I don't really know what all the fuss is about. It's good because it gives good coverage and lasts a long time but in my opinion it is a bit of an old lady foundation, it looks incredibly thick on the skin. I find it difficult to apply because it doesn't blend easily and I have to use a lot of product. I don't like the fact there isn't a pump or an applicator of some sort. I still have to use an oil absorbing sheet at lunchtime when I wear this. Ultimately I think it just comes down to preference, if you don't mind a heavy look then it will suit you but I prefer to look youthful and healthy with a good complexion rather than like I'm caked in make up.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is my Holy Grail foundation. I use the shade Ivory Nude.
I typically have oily skin, but lately -- thanks to a certain acne gel -- it has been mostly combo normal/dry with some pretty dry patches on my chin area. This foundation looks great all day regardless of my skin type!

PROS:
Decent shade ranges.
Medium coverage that is quite buildable.
Doesn't settle into fine lines or cake up.
Dries down quickly and is definitely transfer-proof within minutes.
Very long-lasting, even in Florida heat and humidity.
Controls oil for those with oily skin, but doesn't further dry out those with dry skin.
Non-acnegenic

CONS:
Funky, paint-like foundation smell (dissipates very quickly, just don't smell the product inside the bottle).
Packaging is meh. No pump. Standard glass bottle with lightweight screw-on cap. Nothing special and certainly not overly cute or fancy aesthetically.
Oxidises slightly after about five minutes.

The price was pretty standard for a high end foundation, $40 USD for 1.0floz. I, personally, feel that's a bit pricy, but definitely worth it for me. I use L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte for "off days" when I'm just going to the grocery store and whatnot.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've been on the hunt for a med to full coverage foundation. This didn't come to mind intial. I tried MUFE ,Nars Sheer Glow, Mac Pro Longwear and Tarte Amazonian clay recently but didn't love any of them accept MPL. After reading so many rave reviews I figured it was time to give DW a try. I just applied it for the 1rst time and I gotta say.....I'm totally impressed with it!! Absolutely flawless coverage without a heavy look and feel. Only one application was all I needed. It didnt make my skin a flat mat, more of a demi mat, satin finish. There's still a translucency to my skin which I want, but didnt except to get from this formula. I applied it over Mac Strobe cream with a Sigma f80 flat kabuki. I'm nc25 so Sand is perfect for me and has a nice olive yellow undertone, not orange as Mac Pro Longwear is. As far as wear time, I can't say at this point, but assuming will be great. If you haven't tried it yet I would do so.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love this foundation and have absolutely no regrets about buying it, granted I am not usually a high-end foundation splurger because I feel like there are some great drugstore options available.

My only issue with this foundation, if you could call it that, is that I bought it under the impression it was full coverage when I find it to be more of a medium coverage. Is that a problem? No, because I have several medium coverage foundations that are well-loved, and my skin has been doing pretty well as of late so it's not really needed, but after hearing so much hype on how doll-like this makes the skin look, I was preparing for an almost immediate flawless canvas.

I was able to build this up in a couple areas where I wanted a bit of extra coverage and it ended up looking gorgeous, so I was a little mad at myself for being slightly disappointed at first. It does have a perfect satiny, not dewy but not totally matte finish that sits very natural on the skin. I can imagine all skin types playing well with this because it did not dry down totally at first, but after being set with powder it did not get oily at all throughout the day.

This truly did last very well after many hours of wear, and I didn't notice any of the telltale signs of bad foundation- separation, oxidizing, dry patches or breakouts. I have heard this has considerable flashback in flash photos, so I won't be risking that, but otherwise this is a fantastic everyday foundation that can be trusted with long hours of wear. The lack of a pump is somewhat irritating, but nothing I can't get past.

on 4/16/2017 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used to like this but I don't any more.
I have this in ecru and it suits my skin tone which is very light. It is very thick and heavy and too much of a mask, obviously got foundation on look.
I would mix it with Estée Lauder Idealist and I found that that was a much nicer mixture.
I am now in my mid thirties and I find that the finish, apart from being really obvious, is powdery too. It also settles in to fine lines and it feels heavy on my skin.
I have quite oily skin but this didn't shift or oxidise which was good.
If you like heavy coverage then you might like this. For me it is too much and I probably won't use the rest of the bottle. I prefer a lighter and more natural look. I find this can make skin look quite aged too. In some lights it highlights all skin imperfections. Mainly, it's so obvious that you have a heavy foundation on that it defeats the purpose for me.
I won't buy again.

on 4/12/2017 4:55:00 PM

This is my favourite foundation ever. Hands down, the longest lasting, perfect looking morning to night even on my combo skin.. Great shade range too..

The downsides are no pump so you have to pour out product onto the back of your hand, I hate this as I always pour too much and waste product! And it's a bit too fiddly and messy..And it's too pricey at almost €40 to be wasting any product!

Maybe not the best for dry skin? But for normal/oily/combo this is my holy grail, doesn't break up or transfer once set! I have repurchased again and again and will continue to repurchase!

on 4/3/2017 11:41:00 PM

~Things i love about product
Love this foundation its smooth!
Has full coverage.
Blends great with beauty blender and or foundation brush.
Love the bottle.
Money well spent

I tried many foundations and this is by far my favorite. I have to to say if you have oily skin this is not the foundation for you my sister has oily skin and she pats her face and the makeup came off.