Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Black
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.2

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Received this as a Christmas present (from my sister who went with me to get colour matched) so have not used it that much but here are my thoughts on it so far. I wore shade 2W1 Dawn
PROs:
Long lasting -over 10hour wear so far,
budge-proof,
Reasonably large colour range,
Dries fast and does not need setting with powder (unless in areas that are oily)
Didn't break me out and also feels really lightweight!

CONs
Quite difficult to clean off every bit with just face cleanser as it is so budge-proof but easy if you have an oil cleansing balm.
Shade was matched perfectly in store but it is much more orange on me in natural lighting!
Dries fast so you have to apply it quickly!
No pump and so poured way too much and so some went to waste.
It bunches up together around my nose but with a bit of strobe cream mixed it seemed to fix that problem!

Final thoughts:
It's an alright foundation but probably would buy a lighter shade!
Looks better as time goes on!
You would probably need to buy a pump (if you can find one that fits)
Works well with brushes more than a sponge (for me)
Little drying on non oily areas of my face as it is a matte foundation
Helps other makeup stay put longer!
This is a light to medium coverage foundation but buildable, as my freckles were still incredibly visible with one layer but two covered them well.
If you have got dry skin and still want to purchase this, (even though it is formulated more for the combination-oily skin types) you should definitely moisturise well before and leave it all to soak in before you apply your foundation!
Overall I like this foundation but there are cheaper drugstore alternatives that I like more!

EDIT: MAC PUMP FITS PERFECTLY!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I LOVE this foundation! This is my absolute go-to foundation when i just neeeed to look good on a day because i know its not gonna let me down.
I have very oily skin and i am somewhere between NC42-44. I mix Bronze and Spiced Sand to get my perfect shade. I know there is an in-betweener shade called Toasty Toffee if i remember correctly but unfortunately i haven't been able to find it anywhereee!

About the foundation, it just makes my skin look a million times better. I find that my face gets less oily when i use this and it gives such a beautiful finish that is not to matte/flat but certainly not dewy. Its hard to explain...it just makes me look flawless.
Everything else i apply with this also seem to stay on longer...blush, shadow, highlighter. Even my mum commented that i looked so fresh, just as i did when i left my home early in the morning, although i live in a super humid, hot, country and had been out basically the whole day! This is not usual for me. When i use MAC studio fix, i just look like a tired oily mess in a few hours. Most foundations tend to slide off and disappear by the end of the day for me.
So i'm very very pleased with this!
For reference, i apply a bit on the back of my hand and buff it in with my RT all purpose brush, color correct and then cover the corrected parts with a bit more foundation and a beauty blender. The result is flawless skin with excellent coverage.
Although this foundation is thick, it doesn't feel so on the skin. With the right technique, it looks gorgeous!
My pet peeve though, is that it doesn't have a pump...i tend to pour out more product than i need because of this. That is really annoying since its not cheap! Come on Estee Lauder...you charge enough for this to afford to provide a freaking pump!

on 11/27/2016 12:27:00 AM

I think this is a essential staple for the oily skin users out there!

A bit of background info: oily combo skin type, slightly sensitive skin user and blemish / acne prone. I prefer wearing full faced makeup, and i live in humid conditions ranging about 91.3°F on an average day.

I got a sample of this foundation and was matched to shade 3w1 tawny. Pls bear in mind I have never tried the old formula one before hence unable to make the comparison!

Other shade comparisons:
- MAC pro longwear NC35
- Inglot cream foundation shade 24

Pros:
+ medium to full coverage
+ buildable coverage
+ does not look cakey on the skin
+ great for photos, no flashback
+ longevity is quite lasting for my preference
+ shade matches my skin quite well
+ packaging feels luxurious, high end

Cons:
- full sized version does not come with a pump
- price tag

Application wise, I prefer applying the product first using a flat foundation brush and "paint" on my face before blending it out with my beautyblender. I find it that it gives a more airbrushed flawless finish and able to conceal my blemishes as well. Coverage wise is very buildable, but i find that just one layer is good enough for me.

The product does set quite fast so make sure you blend it out fast enough.

I wore this foundation for a dinner and dance event and it makes my skin look SO GOOD in photos. No flashback at all, and it looked just like my skin but even better.

I have oily combo skin, so i realised my t zone started getting slightly shiny after 5-6 hours. In my opinion i think this is a product that requires touch ups, but if you're not particular about that I don't think it'll be a problem for you.

What I'm more impressed about is that the foundation stayed put and did not slide off my skin after taking so many photos and running around the ballroom! I could still see my blush, my contour very well and I thought my skin looked more radiant and glowing instead of looking like an oil slick.

I finished my sample and I think i will purchase the full sized version, even though I'm disappointed that it does not come with a pump because i know it will get very messy during application!

However, based on the formula alone, i would rate it an 8/10 because i'm quite impressed by the results and does lives up to its claims. Minus 2 points for its price tag and my desire to have a pump! I think I will still go out there and make the purchase because i think it will soon be my HG.

Hope this helps some of you out there!

on 11/8/2016 8:31:00 AM

Dries down matte. Medium to full coverage. When I say full, I mean full. Very buildable.

It dries down very fast. Everywhere else it's okay but I find around the nose, you have to work very quickly. If you let it dry and 'stay in place' then try to contour your nose w a brush, the foundation will bunch off of your nose like crazy. Like CRAZY. I've tried several times.

Maybe I work too slow but I don't like rushing my makeup. When I do, I always hate the way it ends up looking.

What I do is I use a different foundation for around my nose and then use this foundation everywhere else. This foundation is truly amazing. I have so many angry red hyperpigmentations. When I want to look absolutely flawless, I use this.

This foundation is very very thick. It is silicone based. It's very pigmented and can be built up to absolute full coverage. You won't even need concealer. It's amazing but I wouldn't recommend using it for everyday wear.

Overall, very good foundation. Whether or not you should buy it just depends on what you're looking for. Good for special occasions when you want to look like a barbie doll.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

If I ran out or lost, I'm not sure whether to repurchase or not. Well, I kinda like the wide color selections they have. I find it extremely difficult to find a good base that matches my skin tone. I love how it stays on my skin and I love the fact it is not breaking me out, long wearing, controls oil and non-transfer. What I hate about this foundation, it feels thick, heavy (and sometimes it feels cakey) but that's not the main concern - I can tolerate by adding some EL Advanced Night Repair or apply using damped beauty blender or something, the most disaster is my pore is INSANELY VISIBLE even though I had my primer on before the foundation. I don't know. Think I wanna give the Double Wear Light, a try.

on 10/18/2016 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So I bought this a few months ago and have used it a couple of times. It just gets cakey on my face. I do have occasional acne breakouts and this makes it super gross, and very obvious. I tried it with and without primer and it does give a nice finish for maybe the first hour then it simply does not work. I remember wearing this on a day when I knew I had a bowling after a long meeting day. And when I was done with bowling I was bloody horrified by how my face looked. I never felt this way about any foundation before. I applied it with a beauty blender and did not try with a foundation brush. I may have used the wrong technique but I would not repurchase.
As for the packaging, it should have a pump. It is easy to pour too much and waste product.

on 9/14/2016 11:26:00 AM

My absolute favorite. I tried other foundations but I always come back to this. Even after hours, I still look great! I have a very oily, acne prone skin. I apply this in the morning and still look decent after 10-12 hours. I wore this during the summer and didn't have problems with melting and transferring. During days I forget to put on moisturizer, it can make the sides of my nose area very dry. Overall, not a problem with me. I really love this foundation!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Great for oily skin. It does even perform better on oily skin as it gives a nice dewy finish after few hours of wearing it. It is full coverage. Downside is you have to blend it quickly as it dries up fast. Otherwise you gonna have patches.

For reference i am NC42 using the shade 4W1 honey bronze

on 7/28/2016 7:59:00 AM

This is my long time fav foundation of all times. I have dozens of foundations but none of it comparable to this. It gives a semi matte finish. And after a few hours, it mix with ur natural facial oil and give a healthy dewy look. Makeup last all days. Do agree that it dries down fast and can be slightly drying if u have dry spots. But applying it with damp sponge will help the application of the foundation. I loves this so much that i always have a backup bottles...

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Very easy to look cakey with this foundation, so be careful. Coverage is very nice though, and it really sticks to your skin! I got a whole lot when the Sears nearby closed down - my friend worked there and got to keep the sample bottles for $10, but I can't imagine myself spending that much on this.
It's very hard to get off.