Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

3.9

on 1/11/2019 5:23:00 PM

My HG foundation, and it's been like this for many years. Surprisingly enough, I like the reformulation even more than the original, which is unheard of for me.
I did take a break from wearing it for a couple of years, because the original had started looking not-so-great on me, so I replaced it with ELDWL and tried a few others. But luckily this summer I decided to try the reformulated version, and I fell in love once again.

I wear the shade Ecru, same as before, but this time it seems to match me much better (NW15).
I only apply with a BB, I haven't tried this one with a brush because I feel like it would be too thick. But with a damp BB and without a primer, my skin looks very smooth and healthy. I prefer using it without a primer, I feel it lasts longer this way.
It is not too matte on me, but it does control oil while looking very skin-like.

I don't have much to cover, just redness and some old acne scars, and the coverage is medium-high and buildable. It lasts until I remove, which sometimes is after 24+ hours (I know it's bad, but sometimes I sleep in it if I don't spend the night at home). It hasn't broken me out.

The only con I can think of is the pump-less bottle, but I use a pump I had from a Smashbox foundation and it fits well. I also heard MAC sells pumps that fit this bottle, but I haven't tried it myself. And of course the price is not all that budget-friendly, but at least to me it's worth it.

on 1/11/2019 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Despite thorough moisturising and priming, I don't like the way this foundation feels or looks. I figure its probably best for younger skin. I realise everyone's skin's different, and hats off to you if it does work for you. But for me, its probably one of most difficult to blend, tacky, heavy foundations I've ever had the misfortune to spend money on. On the days I do wear it my face feels tight and uncomfortable. Makes me feel very unglamorous all day.

It's my favourite foundation. It's really efficient (30ml for 6 months), last all day, my skin look natural (I think). It doesn't have any smell (it's a big plus). But it's better for winter, for summer time it's too heavy. It's worth to invest in your face and comfort;).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so this is my favourite foundation of all times and let me tell you why. I'll start with the cons so you can see how much the pros outweigh it.
However, there goes a short version of the review for those in a hurry: I love this foundation. It's a bit thick but easy to work with a brush (stippling, oval or beautyblender), medium to full coverage without looking heavy or cakey. Doesn't get oily through the day and it stays all day long, even in hot and humid places like Brazil. Transfers very very little in oily skin (my friends with dry skin swear that it doesn't transfer at all) It's a bit pricey and the packaging without a pump or something makes you waste a considerable amount of product.

Cons:
It's not a cheap foundation, although I don't find it so expensive. As a matter of fact I paid 24 euros for it at a Douglas promotion (usually is around 40 euros) in Spain (while travelling , I'm from Brazil) so it was totally worth the price.
The packaging is the lowest point to it. It actually outrages me that it doesn't come with a pump but you can ~buy one separately for 10 dollars~. This is so Appleish.
I usually use a flat small brush (initially conceived for applying concealer) to take it out of the package and then use a larger stippling or oval brush (I like the last one more) to spread it. I read that some people can only use this foundation with a wet Beauty Blender but that isn't the case for me - I only use a wet sponge if I want to give it a perfect finish. I can see that there is a considerable waste of product with this method, so this is a con.
Lastly and sadly, Estee Lauder left Brazil (I am never going to forgive you). I have to buy lots of it when I travel or ask friends that are abroad to bring it to me, which works but it's very unconvenient. None of the packages that I bought looked like they oxidized though, which is a pro.

Pros:
My skin is oily (mostly in the T zone) and has suffered with acne during my teenage years, so I have a few scars (only visible when me face is in the sun). Also I have rosacea and dermatitis, so my skin tends to have red spots and get a bit flaky and dry during sometimes in the places outside the T zone (cheeks and jaw line).
I live in a very hot and humid place (Rio the Janeiro - Brazil) and this makes things even worse because everything melts during the day.
Having said this I have to say that this is a GREAT foundation.
The color 2C3 Fresco is almost a perfect match to my skin tone (I have fair to medium skin tone and neutral undertone). The consistency of the product is a bit thick but it goes on the skin smoothly with a brush. It dries fast but not fast enough so that you can't work it.
The coverage is medium and you can build it to a full coverage. I don't think you can reach a light coverage with it. Although the coverage is medium, it doesn't look heavy on your skin. It also doesn't get flaky or cracked or cakey during the day (I had problems with a few foundations that looked like they dried up my skin and revealed lines that I don't even have). This looks very smooth, as if you have a naturally very good skin.
And now let me tell you this: IT STAYS. YOU CAN RUN A MARATHON AND THIS FOUNDATION WILL BE THERE FOR YOU! As I said, I live in a very (VERY - it is currently 39 celsius degrees around here) hot and humid place. I take a bus and the subway to get to work and I can feel that I am sweating in my face. However, when I arrive at work my face still looks fresh and the coverage is still very good.
This foundation barely transfers (of course if you rub a napkin on your face it will come off a bit, especially after sweating so much - but come on, for those wondering if their soul is melting inside one's body, a bit of transfering is a big win). I usually have a big problem with foreign make up because they are not made for tropical weather (hello Lancôme this is for you).

This foundation was a great surprise and I am completely in love with it. I use it on a daily basis and also to go out at night - it is super versatile for me. I believe that for those living in colder and drier places it works perfectly as a night foundation. I will definitely continue to use it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My first ever MUA review! Here we go!

About about my skin: no acne, a bit of acne scarring, slight discoloration on the cheek bones, nose and chin, normal skin which goes dry in winter. I use the shade Fresco.

I haven't purchased this foundation yet, but I have tried several samples. Have only applied it with a beauty blender - no brush.

The first time I wore this was a nightmare. I applied way to much, didn't use a primer, set it with powder AND used concealer. I had no idea how full coverage it really is. I wore it for about 8 hours but it felt dry and tight very quickly. Having heard so many good things about this foundation I decided to give it a few more tries and I am so happy I did.

I use it on thoroughly moisturized skin (hydrating serum + moisturizer + Maybellines hydrating primer) and it works really well. I don't apply too much as I find it gets cake really fast if you do. No concealer, no setting powder. I just let it dry down and then go over the creasing in my fine lines under the eye with the clean side of the beauty blender to absorb left-over product. After having done the rest of my makeup I set it with setting spray and that's it.

I LOVE it. Here in Scandinavia it is getting quite cold and therefore it always wear a scarf when it go out. This foundation is the only foundation I have ever tried that does not transfer AT ALL. It stays put all day, no matter what.

It is absolutely on the dry side, so I strongly recommend that you moisturize really well before applying this, but other than that it's a great foundation. It does give you that "ghost look" when you apply it because it's SO full coverage, but I don't mind. I like to shape my face with bronzer, countour and blush. The best thing about it is that I don't need concealer under my eyes with this foundation.

Definitely will buy whenever I can afford it!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am 45 yo, have dry light skin. This looked good the first 10 minutes, then I felt like I had on a tight masque on my face. The finish is matte and very, very dry. Not a good look for my skin at all. I looked about 10 years older with it on. And the flask is very unpractical.

on 10/28/2018 3:21:00 PM

I LOVED this foundation when I first bought it. It smoothed out my skin like nothing else. It hid my acne and was full coverage but also didn't look cakey. My favourite part was that it stayed on all day. I'm a student, so I don't have much money to spend on makeup. I thought this was my HG foundation, but after a while I noticed that it made my skin look so dry. It would be perfect once applied, but then throughout the day it would sink into my skin (even when using primer) and make my skin look awful. I'm 24, but I had lines all over my face like I had never seen before. I looked like I was about 70. After 6 hours I would look super unhealthy and like my skin was very dry, when it actually isn't. I tried using different moisturisers, primers, etc underneath but unfortunately nothing worked. I stopped using it and will not be rebuying. Perhaps it may work well for people in warm climates, but it didn't work well for me in the UK. I have also spoken to friends who have experienced a similar issue... strangely, we all found that it was great in the beginning and drying/creasing problem developed later

on 9/16/2018 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use this foundation for over 3 years now. It is perfect for my super oily skin that is acne prone. It stays on for 12+hours. I don't get shiny, but I do get smile lines unfortunately. I tried everything but I always get them. I wear shade 3w1 tawny. I have a medium skintone. Really recommend this one. I only buy it in sale.

on 8/24/2018 4:40:00 AM

This foundation just does not work for me. I have oily, blemish prone skin and heard so many great things about this foundation. I had it applied by a makeup artist as part of my wedding makeup trial, it didn’t last for more than a few hours before it became dark and patchy with oily areas. It was used with a decent NARS primer and finishing powder along with a MAC setting spray. It just isn’t good for very oily skin. I looked like I’d bathed in fake tan and baby oil!

on 8/24/2018 3:51:00 AM

I always go back to this foundation. Long lasting and if I want a lighter look I mix with a bit of my daily spf. In the summer I mix it with a touch of bronzer. Very breathable too. You can build it up. Love it. Fantastic selection of colours too.