Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 9/16/2018 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use this foundation for over 3 years now. It is perfect for my super oily skin that is acne prone. It stays on for 12+hours. I don't get shiny, but I do get smile lines unfortunately. I tried everything but I always get them. I wear shade 3w1 tawny. I have a medium skintone. Really recommend this one. I only buy it in sale.

on 8/24/2018 4:40:00 AM

This foundation just does not work for me. I have oily, blemish prone skin and heard so many great things about this foundation. I had it applied by a makeup artist as part of my wedding makeup trial, it didn’t last for more than a few hours before it became dark and patchy with oily areas. It was used with a decent NARS primer and finishing powder along with a MAC setting spray. It just isn’t good for very oily skin. I looked like I’d bathed in fake tan and baby oil!

on 8/24/2018 3:51:00 AM

I always go back to this foundation. Long lasting and if I want a lighter look I mix with a bit of my daily spf. In the summer I mix it with a touch of bronzer. Very breathable too. You can build it up. Love it. Fantastic selection of colours too.

I really really want to give this product 5*. I’ve been wearing this for 2 years and absolutely love the formula, it’s long lasting and doesn’t need much touching up during the day.

The problem I have is my skin is fair and is hard to colour match. I have tried Ecru, Cool vanilla, pebble and petal.

Petal was just too pink in my opinion for my skin tone after using a bottle. I then got matched with Ivory Nude which is a neutral tone which I thought would be better as it wouldn’t be pink or too yellowy but even that was too yellow. The perfect shade would be a mix of the two but as it is an expensive foundation it isn’t very practical to own both and mix.

For me this foundation isn’t practical but if you find your perfect colour match then this will be your go to.

NB: my foundation pump broke within 2 weeks don’t know if mine was just faulty or they are cheaply made, it was not ideal

on 8/7/2018 1:24:00 AM

Non-transfer all day wear. I mix 2N and 4N for the right color. I have used for years, have tried many different things but always come back to this stuff.

on 7/20/2018 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation is heavy as frick but it's great if you've got a pizza face like mine. It really does not move. I'll always fall back on this when my face is a disaster, as it usually is

on 5/31/2018 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

PROS :
- very long-wearing formula (it even stands-up a slight scratching),
- fluid, slightly runny texture, easy to blend (more beautiful texture and finish than Colorstay),
- medium coverage in one layer,
- blends seamlessly (neither blotchy nor patchy)
- gorgeous "second skin" finish, with a very slight sheen, and no powdery appearance,
- respects the skin texture (no blurring effect... that never lasts anyway),
- strong adhesion to the skin, with only very minimal settling into fine lines or pores,
- rich in pigments shades, neither gray nor brownish (a little too bright whatsoever but that’s what brightens the complexion),
- fast drying but not to the point of instantly setting upon contact with the skin,
- truly self-setting, if a powder is used it’s mostly to tone down shine,
- no darkening while it sets and barely oxidizes during the wear time,
- perfectly transfer-proof (my powder brush does not collect foundation, its fibers remain clean and fluffy),
- precise numbering of the shades,
- available in 61 shades (in Australia),
- soluble in pure alcohol (which allows an easy cleaning of the sponge, or brush, which was used),
- alcohol-free and fragrance-free.

CONS :
- the now classical main drawback : NO PUMP !!!!! Seriously, Estée Lauder, drugstore brands add pumps on their less than 10 bucks foundations and there is no pump on yours which costs an arm to the toes (and requires to prostitute granny to get enough money to buy it) ??!!!
- has a clear tendency to peel off from the skin when applying a second layer (see comments),
- slight uncomfortable "resinous" sensation when the product is set, but it vanishes later when the foundation is mixed with the skin natural fluids,
- slightly tacky feeling (though less tacky than Colorstay),
- does not control shine that well (but, on me, nothing does),
- expensive, but it is undoubtedly worth the price.

COMMENTS :
Most foundations darken and/or change undertone when setting (which requires to wait for a swatch to fully set before checking if the shade is a good match)... this one does not. Small digression by the way : I have always found ridiculous all these online swatches that are "wet-not-set", it does not reflect the final result.

As it is self-setting, it is useless to rush to powder it (if it’s powdered too early it cakes). One exception : the under eyes area. Regardless of the product I use, foundation or concealer, the product always creases into fine lines, so as soon as I get a flawless application on this area I immediately set with a translucent powder to prevent the product from further creasing.

It is essential to apply it one section at a time because of its fast drying time (don’t dot it all over your face hoping to come back on these dots to blend them later, the last dotted area will be impossible to blend).

Like many other products in the Double Wear range, this one has a strong (and exasperating) tendency to peel off from the skin when trying to apply a second layer, or simply when joining two areas (when using a blending sponge). In fact it is a matter of pressure : if, like me, you tend to press the foundation like a madman (trying to push it far into the skin hoping that it will last longer) you're damn. Gentleness is the key : using your sponge blend the foundation with the delicacy of a dandelion pappus carried by a light breeze, and not with the heaviness of a rammer flattening the bitumen.

I like the wide range of 61 shades and their precise numbering :
- the first digit indicates the main level, from the lightest level 0 to the darkest level 8,
- the letter indicates the undertone, C for Cool (pink based), N for Neutral neither too pink nor too yellow (in theory), and W for Warm (yellow based),
- the last digit modulates the intensity within a main level (1W2 will be a little darker than 1W1).

I use two shades :
- 1N1 Ivory Nude best matches my skintone but, despite its yellow base, it’s still a touch too pink (I have a very strong yellow undertone),
- 1W1 Bone is more golden but slightly darker than 1N1 so it ends up a tad too dark/gold on me (unless I tan),

Let’s note that the making of the undertones was surely done in a state of pronounced drunkenness (or it is the numbering which was made randomly) when one compares 1N1 Ivory Nude which is on the yellow side and 1N0 Porcelain which is on the pink side (both are N).

At the end of the day, given its tenacity, I use a cleansing oil (or a two-phase micellar water) to remove it easily and completely without pulling/damaging my skin.

EDIT 07/27/2018 : Estée Lauder just launched new shades, including 1W0 Warm Porcelain which is ever so slightly lighter and less pink than 1N1, and much lighter than 1W1 (though not as yellow)... it's one of the closest matches I've ever worn ♥♥♥

Here are some comparative swatches on my arm which is around MAC NW10 but my face is more NC10 boosted with a tiny bit of NC15 (or anything with strong yellow undertones). I also created a comparative table of the shades available in various countries.

From top to bottom :

TOO FACED Peach Perfect Snow
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 03 Champagne
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 07 Warm Light

on 5/27/2018 2:18:00 AM

I did not like this foundation. It felt like paint on my skin. It exentuated all my flaws such as dryness and didn't blend well. It dried so fast it was hard to apply and had a chemical smell. It was a huge disappointment as it has so many great reviews but did not work well on my skin. Maybe for someone with oily skin.

on 5/25/2018 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I’m yet to find any foundation that performs anywhere near as well as this.

I have oily skin that gets dehydrated and I can get dry patches if I dont keep it hydrated. I have a lot of blemishes in the form of scarring and redness, mostly around my jaw and chin.

While this is a full coverage foundation, I find it does not cling to dry patches and does not feel heavy on the skin.

This foundation lasts incredibly well, and only starts to break down on my oily T-Zone after 12+ hours of wear.

Will keep repurchasing this forever probably.

on 5/10/2018 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had to try this foundation because it is so famous. The foundation it self has AMAZING coverage. However, it comes across a little cakey after a while because it is so thick and kind of heavy. I personally prefer a lighter and more natural looking foundation, but it does what it promises - high coverage.