Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

on 4/15/2018 1:15:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Holy grail foundation - actually looks BETTER as the day wears on and it melts into your face. A few things to know though:
- better suited to combination/oily skin. Dry skin ladies may find it drying on them or they look ashy. If this one is too dry on you, try the double wear light which is still medium coverage but much easier to work with
- buy a MAC pump. Pouring it out is a pain
- mix one drop of serum (especially Estée Lauder Night Repair serum) with it before applying for easiest and most flawless application
- apply to very well moisturized skin, especially after a facial oil but let the facial oil really soak in first. I really notice a difference on how well this applies if I’m wearing facial oil underneath it or not. It definitely is more likely to get patchy or draggy if I am not well moisturized beforehand
- dries quickly so work one area at a time - if you smear it all over your whole face and try to blend it it will lift and drag, so do t-zone/forehead, then cheeks and chin one at a time. Best with a damp beauty blender as brushes create drag too easily.
- DO NOT use in your eye area AT ALL unless you have added serum, face oil or are going lightly. Too drying in the eye area on its own. I avoid my entire lid and undereye - much better to use Lancome effacernes with a light hand for the entire lid area, or the Estée Lauder concealers.
- Set with a little of the Laura Mercier translucent powder using a fluffy brush, or a damp beautyblender. THIS FOUNDATION WILL LIFT IF YOU DISTURB IT so use a light and fluffy hand for powder, blush, bronzer etc.
- buildable, so you can go medium to full coverage but you MUST BUILD IT WHILE IT'S STILL DAMP. Building a new layer over a dry layer tends to create splotchiness/dragging if you're not careful.
- covers most imperfections, but I do spot conceal on bad spots. For minor imperfections I'll just stipple extra foundation onto the spot.

* I remove it with a first swipe of micellar water or EL Take the Day Away and then a full face wash of Cetaphil. No breakouts.
**side note - this does build up in foundation brushes and doesn't wash out well with even dish soap, shampoo, anything - stays caked in the brush, possibly from the sunscreen in it. I found vegetable cooking oil (from your kitchen) will dissolve it if you're having a hard time cleaning your foundation brush. Then shampoo or soap out the oil and you'll have a completely clean and wonderfully soft brush again. Better to use a damp beauty blender
*** If you feel the finish is a bit too cakey, it really helps to use an illuminating setting spray especially Tatcha dewey skin mist, or urban decay chill or Smashbox illuminating setting spray though my preference is the Tatcha for sure. Then I have the full coverage I want with the youthful glow

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I wanna start with the packaging. The packaging really bothers me because it would be my fault if I slipped and broke the bottle, I'm super clumsy, sorry! I still need to lighten the shade a bit and I'm in shade 1C0 Shell. The lightest shade on the Sephora website. THE LIGHTEST! If I still need to lighten the product to get it to match me perfectly then you know I'm pale. The formula is not my favourite, it might be to someone else, but for me it's just too cakey and looks patchy in certain areas and I know I'm blending it in correctly. Overall, not the worst but would not buy again.

on 12/26/2017 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been looking for a foundation that didn't make my skin look oily after like 2 hours which shouldn't have been as hard as it is, but I finally decided to spend a little more money this time and let me tell you I can go 10 hours and my face looks as fresh and good as ever. My skin is extremely oily and in all my years as a makeup addict, I've never found a better foundation.

The packaging is a little dumb with no pump or wand but its fine and the price is pretty hefty but for a foundation that lasts me this long and looks as good as it does its worth it imo.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills- I absolutely *hated* this and I'm a very small portion of people with that opinion! Nothing has looked worse on my skin. I looked powdery and cakey using the foundation even with a hydrating primer.

I like my foundation to the dewy end generally and usually attempt to look at things objectively and say 'maybe this just isn't for my skin' but I can't with this. I just found so few plus points to it. I have combination skin and on dry patches it looked truly awful, but it even looked dry and flaky on my oily nose. Now I exfoliate with AHAs and BHAs depending on the area of my skin, plus I previously used a somewhat drying but lighter foundation (Fusion ink) with no issues, so I don't think it's an issue with my nose texture particularly.
The coverage is to the heavier end of medium, but I didn't find it easy to build with a damp beauty blender. It more looked like it was sitting on top in layers than blending together to provide high coverage in certain areas seamlessly. Looked a slightly 'flat' on, but excusably so if you really need something with staying power.

There being no pump is a bad show too. This is *not* a drug store foundation, there is no excuse for not having one, really. The packaging is at least pretty, though.

This does oxodise like nothing I've seen before too- Shell was even a little off after a few hours. I don't think shell is available in the US either so I have no idea how anyone pale would be able to use this formula without a *lot* of white mixer.

From my experience, you'd have to be of a *very* oily skin type to love this. I'm glad it exists even if I hated it though- A holy grail for very oily skin is hard to find and it's wonderful people with that skin type are able to use this foundation without blotting every .5 femtoseconds! If you have anything other than that (especially dry) have a proper look in sunlight before you buy a full sized bottle though, I have seen people who use this look *incredibly* textured and chalky because they tried and applied it in artificial lighting.

on 11/5/2017 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have bought this foundation three times. This is the King of all foundations for me. The coverage is buildable and about medium coverage when applied with a brush (I use a Morphe M439). If I put this on in the morning and go about my day I know it'll be on when I enter my house at ten at night. I always wear this and always get compliments on how great my skin looks! I have the oiliest skin, it's acne prone and I almost always have at least three pimples. I also live in a very hot, humid climate. I will say this is not matte. and I do get very shiny throughout the day but I am not a fan of matte foundations so that's fine for me. This breaks me out if it isn't washed off correctly, and by that I mean use more than a makeup wipe. I despise the fact that it has no pump, I'd like it more even if it was in a squeezy tube but this bottle is annoying. All in all though, a beautiful foundation and I would recommend it to everyone! (I have recommended it to my mom, three of my aunts, my sister, four of my friends and everyone has had great results with this!)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

EDIT: I don't know if this is just my skin, but the more I've worn it, the more I can't wait to get it off my face. It feels like a mask I can't wait to remove. Also - and this is weird - the full bottle seems to either turn reddish on my skin, or maybe I'm just blending out really sheer? Either way, I've put it to one side having used the full bottle for less than a week and have replaced with Fenty Beauty. I have to say, I didn't experience this issue with the sample I got so I don't know what the issue is. I've changed my review because of these issues and have left at a 2 lippie score because generously I think maybe it's user error and I just haven't found the best method of application for my skin.
----------------------
If you've seen my other reviews, you can see I've been on the hunt for a good full coverage foundation that doesn't slip off my face, irritate my rosacea, or separate and go grainy over the course of the day. This one is a winner all round, and I'm SO surprised because I just thought it wouldn't suit me at all.

My colour is Cool Bone which I think is the lightest. I got matched to Almond before which was odd - but Cool Bone is great. Doesn't oxidise and while I'm expecting flashback it's not something I'm especially worried about.

I dot all over my face and then blend with a damp RT sponge and it gives a really beautiful finish. For me, I don't think it gives a mask-like look; I don't know if that's because I'm using less than the beauty gurus I've watched on YouTube, my technique, or maybe just that the rosacea is peeking through and giving a 'natural' flush. Either way, it looks good. I can layer over the really red bits if needs be.

It's creamy and blends really well, it doesn't seem to dry down like for e.g. the Lock It foundation. I dust some Velvetizer finishing powder over the top and I'm genuinely flawless. While my skin requires a blotting by the end of the day, it's nothing I can't handle and doesn't look disgusting if I don't bother. Even the oils breaking through don't seem to disturb the make up which is EXACTLY what I was looking for! And even on my dryer bits, it didn't feel uncomfortable at all, even after 12 hours wear.

It's really pricey, and it's such a con that you have to buy the pump separately for an extra fiver, but I am going to have to splurge because it works so well.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I can't believe that I took so long to jump on the Double Wear bandwagon. I should've known that there were some really good reasons for people to recommend this product whole heartedly. It's awesome.

I was recently color matched at the Estee Lauder counter and received a 10-day sample. Here's what I love about this foundation:

1) It is super lightweight on the skin even though the coverage is medium to full. I had been using a MAC cream foundation that I love. But the Estee Lauder foundation just feels wonderful and barely there on my skin.

2) The foundation doesn't rub off on anything during the day. It's truly non-transferable. So I don't accidentally get any on my hands, on paper or on the neckline of my tops. I use a powder over the foundation. I'm sure that helps.

3) I'm chocolate brown with reddish undertones. I actually tested three different possibilities since Double Wear has a great range that covers women of color nicely. I finally went with Deep Amber. It's a gorgeous warm color.

4) I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I prep my skin well and the Double Wear works perfectly. I wear the Smashbox oil-free primer on my t-zone under the Double Wear and I just do minimal powder touch-ups during the day. And for my cheeks, I wear a slight smear of oil under my moisturizer and the matte finish in the Double Wear doesn't dry me out.

5) The product washes away easily at the end of the day since it is so lightweight.

My only con with the product is the lack of a pump in the glass bottle. However the Estee Lauder counter now sells a pump separately for $10. The product is thin and close to a watery texture. So a pump helps you to control how much you dispense. Frankly the $10 pump will help me to recycle since I'm not about to throw it in the trash each time I finish a bottle.

What a great product!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is popular and for a good reason. It really does last for 16+ hours on the skin. Once on it does not move and stays flawless throughout the day/evening.

The shade range is amazing, so finding a shade to match should not be a problem. I'd advise getting matched at the counter just because there are that many shades and the right one for you might not be the one you originally thought!

It is a heavier coverage foundation so it's not to everyone's liking. It is sweat proof in that I've worn it in high 30/40 degrees C temperatures and it has stayed put. It is like cement- onceit dries, it's set. It can feel a little tight and drying on skin though after that pont where it's "set"

I've heard of people using it in the gym due to its sweat proof staying power. I've never worn make up at the gym but I reckon double wear would withstand a gym class!

The only slightly negative point, which lost a point from me in the packaging category, is that is doesn't have a pump. It's that thick, it could probably clog up a pump. Instead I pour a little on the back of my hand or finger, dot some on my face then use a brush or damp beauty sponge to apply and blend. It is very easy to go too far and pour loads out and waste it :(

It is a best selling foundation for a reason though. The coverage is amazing. Very full.
It is suitable or a range of skin types and shades and it does stay put all day. On dry akin types, load up on your moisturiser as it can be a little drying and feel tight.

I have bought this over and over again and will continue to do so for a lasting coverage foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

LISTEN UP! This stuff is for REAL! It is NOT for the faint-hearted! I'm sick of people whinging that it's 'very dry' 'impossible to apply' and 'cakey' because a foundation that literally stays on for like 24 hours is always going to be a tumultuous ride if you ask me. It really is a case of trading off a little bit of your comfort for flawless looking skin for a long period of time.

I swear by this for activities including: going clubbing for 6 hours, working a 16 hour shift, going for a run ..probably a triathlon although I haven't done it.

What I'm trying to convey here is that this sh*t doesn't go anywhere, you need to apply it with a WET sponge for the best application, if you use a brush it's too thick and can become cakey. Also, you can use it very sparingly if you don't need that extreme coverage that a thicker application does provide.

It could definitely do with a pump lid rather than just a screw on one.. but if that would drive the price up then I would rather battle it out without one as it's fairly pricey. (Although there are other similar options that charge a lot more IMO)

I will continue to use this product because it means I basically never have to touch up my makeup when I'm out and about, and I don't have to worry about it (ain't nobody got time for that)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Love this foundation! I apply only one layer with a moistened beauty blender and it looks great! I prefer higher coverage with my foundations because I have dark marks and sometimes redness, and I'd say one layer of this gives good medium coverage and it's easily build-able if you need a bit more. I've never broken out from this foundation which is a big thing I always look for since I'm a very busy full-time college student who also works and I often come home so exhausted that I forget to take my makeup off until the following morning (AWFUL I know). With that said I have to add THIS STUFF LASTS!! It really is "stay-in-place" as the label says because it's not going anywhere!! I spend all day running errands, going to class, etc. and I'm always sweating like crazy but this foundation can handle it all!

I have to add something that's super important, however, and that's about how this isn't very moisturizing. I have dry skin and typically would run away from a foundation better built for oily skin types however I recently started moisturizing with vegetable glycerin (HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR ANYONE WITH DRY SKIN, it's natural, it's cheap, only has one ingredient, and the tiniest dot keeps your face soft and buttery for ages. Also, definitely an awesome addition to your night routine) so this is no longer an issue for me.