Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is my Holy Grail foundation. I use the shade Ivory Nude.
I typically have oily skin, but lately -- thanks to a certain acne gel -- it has been mostly combo normal/dry with some pretty dry patches on my chin area. This foundation looks great all day regardless of my skin type!

PROS:
Decent shade ranges.
Medium coverage that is quite buildable.
Doesn't settle into fine lines or cake up.
Dries down quickly and is definitely transfer-proof within minutes.
Very long-lasting, even in Florida heat and humidity.
Controls oil for those with oily skin, but doesn't further dry out those with dry skin.
Non-acnegenic

CONS:
Funky, paint-like foundation smell (dissipates very quickly, just don't smell the product inside the bottle).
Packaging is meh. No pump. Standard glass bottle with lightweight screw-on cap. Nothing special and certainly not overly cute or fancy aesthetically.
Oxidises slightly after about five minutes.

The price was pretty standard for a high end foundation, $40 USD for 1.0floz. I, personally, feel that's a bit pricy, but definitely worth it for me. I use L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte for "off days" when I'm just going to the grocery store and whatnot.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love this foundation and have absolutely no regrets about buying it, granted I am not usually a high-end foundation splurger because I feel like there are some great drugstore options available.

My only issue with this foundation, if you could call it that, is that I bought it under the impression it was full coverage when I find it to be more of a medium coverage. Is that a problem? No, because I have several medium coverage foundations that are well-loved, and my skin has been doing pretty well as of late so it's not really needed, but after hearing so much hype on how doll-like this makes the skin look, I was preparing for an almost immediate flawless canvas.

I was able to build this up in a couple areas where I wanted a bit of extra coverage and it ended up looking gorgeous, so I was a little mad at myself for being slightly disappointed at first. It does have a perfect satiny, not dewy but not totally matte finish that sits very natural on the skin. I can imagine all skin types playing well with this because it did not dry down totally at first, but after being set with powder it did not get oily at all throughout the day.

This truly did last very well after many hours of wear, and I didn't notice any of the telltale signs of bad foundation- separation, oxidizing, dry patches or breakouts. I have heard this has considerable flashback in flash photos, so I won't be risking that, but otherwise this is a fantastic everyday foundation that can be trusted with long hours of wear. The lack of a pump is somewhat irritating, but nothing I can't get past.

on 4/16/2017 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used to like this but I don't any more.
I have this in ecru and it suits my skin tone which is very light. It is very thick and heavy and too much of a mask, obviously got foundation on look.
I would mix it with Estée Lauder Idealist and I found that that was a much nicer mixture.
I am now in my mid thirties and I find that the finish, apart from being really obvious, is powdery too. It also settles in to fine lines and it feels heavy on my skin.
I have quite oily skin but this didn't shift or oxidise which was good.
If you like heavy coverage then you might like this. For me it is too much and I probably won't use the rest of the bottle. I prefer a lighter and more natural look. I find this can make skin look quite aged too. In some lights it highlights all skin imperfections. Mainly, it's so obvious that you have a heavy foundation on that it defeats the purpose for me.
I won't buy again.

on 1/5/2017 6:05:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have a love/hate with this but it is a staple in my foundation arsenal. I'm NC25 in Mac Pro Longwear and I have this in 2W1 (dawn) and 2N1 (desert beige). I reach for the 2W1 more. It is a very good long wearing foundation especially for those with oily skin like me. It will break apart on my nose late in the day but looks fine on the rest of my face. Less is more and a little goes a long way! Make sure to cleanse well to get it off. Additionally make sure to exfoliate and moisturize before application. Overall it is an excellent foundation.

Edit: using Mac skin refined zone on my nose has helped tremendously. This is a very good foundation. I will continue to use regularly.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

Great formula, medium coverage, matte and wide color selection. Stays on till you take it off with oil based makeup remover. Great for weddings or everyday use.

on 9/3/2016 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I tried this foundation because i wanted another "high end" option. Currently i use Nars All Day Luminous and love it but you can't just have one foundation ladies, right?

I bought this in Bronze (i believe it's 5W2?) because of all the hype and positive reviews and I'll be honest, though, I returned it to Sephora after just one wear. It was a reluctant return. I actually really liked it and the shade matched me beautifully and perfectly. The only downsides were the fact there was no pump (but that can be fixed by switching it to an airless pump container or buying the Mac pump for it) and the white cast flash back. The latter is why i returned it. While i didn't buy this for every day wear i have to take in the fact that when i do a full face on special occasions, im usually taking pictures. This is a no no if my foundation is giving me a flash back white cast.

The coverage is medium but buildable, however, if you aren't careful it can look caked on. shade range is really, really good especially for WOC like myself. It does give you a lovely, flawless finish so i can't say i hate it. I wish I'd known it had SPF 10 in it before i purchased. I don't need my foundation to have that. If they had the same formula with medium to full coverage with no SPF I'd definitely try that out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

On the one hand, this foundation really does last ALL day. I don't look cakey, oily, and neither does it completely disappear after a couple of hours. But unfortunately, it's given me horrendous acne after a couple of weeks use. I've never had skin as bad as this, even as a particularly oily teenager. I can see how this is a 'holy grail' for people, but unfortunately, it just doesn't agree with my skin. Shame.

on 8/4/2016 4:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Holy grail foundation - actually looks BETTER as the day wears on and it melts into your face. A few things to know though:
- better suited to combination/oily skin. Dry skin ladies may find it drying on them or they look ashy
- dries quickly so work one area at a time - if you smear it all over your whole face and try to blend it it will lift and drag, so do t-zone/forehead, then cheeks. I use a dior foundation brush to apply and then stipple with a slightly damp beautyblender to get rid of any brush marks
- DO NOT use in your eye area AT ALL. Too drying. I avoid my entire lid and undereye - much better to use Lancome effacernes with a light hand for the entire lid area. Trust me on this.
- Set with a little of the Lancome doublewear powder using a fluffy brush, or a translucent powder. THIS FOUNDATION WILL LIFT IF YOU DISTURB IT so use a light and fluffy hand for powder, blush, bronzer etc.
- buildable, so you can go medium to full coverage but you MUST BUILD IT WHILE IT'S STILL DAMP. Building a new layer over a dry layer tends to create splotchiness/dragging if you're not careful.
- covers most imperfections, but I do spot conceal with Vichy dermablend on bad spots. For minor imperfections I'll just stipple extra foundation still left in my foundation brush onto the spot and then pat gently with my finger or a beautyblender to avoid any brush marks.

* I remove it with a first swipe of micellar water and then a full face wash of Cetaphil. No breakouts.
**side note - this does build up in foundation brushes and doesn't wash out well with even dish soap, shampoo, anything - stays caked in the brush, possibly from the sunscreen in it. I found vegetable cooking oil (from your kitchen) will dissolve it if you're having a hard time cleaning your foundation brush. Then shampoo or soap out the oil and you'll have a completely clean and wonderfully soft brush again.

on 7/17/2016 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is my basic foundation.
·Plus:
Good coverage without being cakey (even on my dry skin).
Great texture.
Doesn't feel heavy on the skin.
Stays on good all day (I do set it with some Ben Nye luxury powder)
·Cons:
The bottle is so annoying.
Not enough colortones. I'm really fair and the foundation I use is actually just a bit to dark. It still is wearable when I shape the rest of the face or use a bronzer.

on 7/15/2016 4:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I like the coverage this foundation gives so much. Skin is flawless with this on, barely need any concealer.
It can emphasize pores, but nothing too bad. I've seen much worser (I tried almost every foundation out there) Use a good pore filling primer.
Doesn't enlarged fine lines
The soft look is so lovely.

Looking at the coverage this gives, I'm suprised how natural this can look. Looks like skin. Not over powdery (which i really hate) or cakey.

BUT. Sometimes.. this stuff can be a little drying. And if i apply too much (on the nose or chin area mostly) this can look cakey and dry. Sometimes a little chalky even.

The other problem I have with this foundation, is the way it sets.. Like revlon colorstay sets so quick and you have to work fast? This you get a little more time, but once it sets, its set. You can't go back. You cant touch it! If you do it will get flakey/powdery.
So.. It's not the easiest foundation to work with.

But still, when you moisterize well, use a good primer (I like this with the too faced pore primer) it looks so so nice. So smooth. Stays on the skin for hours.

I have this in 'Fresco' and it's the best colormatch I've ever had, its my exact skin colour. Never had such a good match before.

I do recommend this, but not for really dry skin.
And you do have to find out how to use this, what works best for you.

When it comes to full coverage foundations, I do think this is one of the best. But because of the way it sets, I do like my teint idole better. It's just easier.