Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation gives full coverage and it's very long-lasting but it's definitely not for dry skin as it is very heavy, mask-like, cakey, and it enhances flakes and dry patches. It's definitely not for everyday use as well because it's like cement on skin literally "smothering" your skin making it impossible for your skin to breathe and clear its impurities, which is very important for good healthy skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

on 3/14/2017 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

If you are going to have a long day and you want your make-up to last all day, this is the go to foundation. I have very oily skin and this foundation is great for my skin type. Shade matching can be challenging but once you found the right one you won't be disappointed. I am MAC C3 or C3.5 (Summer) and my shade is 2W1 Dawn. Only downside is no pump, so it can get messy but like some others have matched MAC has a pump that fits this ELDW bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The lightest shade available in my country is Pebble. Which is way to dark and orange for me. Which is ofcourse my problem and not the product's. I bought it anyways because it made my skin look flawless and it dries very nice and quickly. Im going to try and lighten it with the La Girl Pro HD liquid foundation in White because Ive heard they have the same quick drying formula.
The only downside: the stupid opening. No pump. Just letting the product pour out...

Will report back, make up soldiers!

This foundation really does last all day. The coverage feels light and doesn’t wear like a mask. It also convincingly disguises skin imperfections. I like it very much. I made a review on Youtube where I´m showing you how the coverage is and how it looks like enjoy watching!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seriously think something might be wrong (or just different?) with my skin since I can't seem to get this foundation to work for me.

I keep giving this foundation a chance every few years due to all the rave reviews I keep reading! I keep hoping that maybe my skin has changed and that this foundation will one day look good on me. But sadly, Double Wear is honestly one of the worst foundations I've ever used.

This isn't the first highly-rated foundation that looks terrible on me (Revlon Colorstay liquid: I'm looking at you!), so I'm beginning to think it must be an ingredient(s) that my skin just can't handle.

The pros:
- Covers my red acne marks to a certain degree

The cons:
- Feels and looks like paint, no matter how I apply it
- It sits on top of my skin
- Makes my skin look dull/dead
- While it does cover acne, it still requires more layers (for me) than my other HG foundations
- Can't find a good shade match (2N1 and 2W1 are the closest)
- The glass bottle does not have a pump, so you have to be careful not to pour the foundation too quickly

I'm a little jealous that this seems to work for so many others! ;) I'm going to keep researching what ingredients are in this foundation that my skin doesn't like, so that I can be aware and avoid it in the future.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Very expensive (to me) but is very reliable, great color selection, and looks and lasts great. You can use a MAC foundation pump if you want a pump (thanks to someone @ Sephora for letting me know!)

It doesn't make me dry or oily, which is great as I have combo skin. By the end of the day I do have to blot, but it's nothing excessive. You don't need a lot, I only use one pump for most days (medium-high coverage to me). I love to dot it all over my face and then blend it in with a beauty blender for a skin like finish. It has a very slight paint smell to it which goes away when it dries down.

I really do enjoy & recommend this foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing. I have very oily skin and this stuff really stays in place. I use it with Mac Pro blot powder and they staying power triples. I have yet to use this in the summer, but I'm sure it will stay put through sweat as well and it stays put through my oil. The color variations are great, if you go to the EL makeup counter they have a little digital reader that can read your skin and tell you what shade you are. That's what I did and got a perfect match. The only thing with this product though is it seems to dry my skin out a little, but I also use proactiv daily which is also drying so it could be chalked up to that. But I got a free sample of the night recovery complex with my foundation purchase and that stuff really works well for moisturizing oily skin, it soaks right in and doesn't leave any residue. Another great thing about this foundation is it doesn't break me out, at all. Great stuff!!

on 2/28/2017 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff has the consistency and smells very strongly of paint, if you need FULL coverage and don't mind a cakey feeling then it would be okay for you, but not for me. I have normal- dry skin, this foundation brings out every tiny patch of dryness I didn't even know I had, and it clings to the tiny hairs on my face making my overall skin look like it has a very strange and unpleasant texture. I mix a little in with my favourite foundations when I want a little extra coverage, then it's not so bad but I just do that to try and use it up!