Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 5/24/2017 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I got a two samples of this foundation; the lightest in the warm and cool range. Both were INCREDIBLY dark!!! I am quite pale but I wouldn't say I'm extremely pale, Im between a mac NC10 and NC15 . I decided to brave it and try the formula anyway because I figured if the formula was great I could just buy lightening drops from nyx or somewhere else. The formula feels so dry and cakey and it looked like a mask on my face. I was excited as it's meant to be good coverage but it was medium at best and you could still see some acne scars through the dry cakey mask.
For anyone who's looking for a medium coverage foundation that actually looks like skin I'd really recommend the YSL touche eclat foundation over this; it doesn't cover all my acne scars with one layer but when you layer a but more or use concealer it looks perfect and it's totally breathable and just way better than this.
Honestly disappointed.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've tried so hard to like this and no matter what I can't get it to work. I've tried two colors one was a neutral - Desert Beige and the other was a "cooler" toned but darker - Dawn. Dawn was a better match but I still felt it was a tad too dark. Aside from the off color of it, I find this foundation literally just sits on top of my face and makes my pores, texture and lines stand out so much. I've tried applying it with a sponge and a brush, different primers and different powders and I still can't get it to look good on me! I will say it does last and controls oil, but I feel like it looks so terrible up close - I just can't wear it.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've been on the hunt for a med to full coverage foundation. This didn't come to mind intial. I tried MUFE ,Nars Sheer Glow, Mac Pro Longwear and Tarte Amazonian clay recently but didn't love any of them accept MPL. After reading so many rave reviews I figured it was time to give DW a try. I just applied it for the 1rst time and I gotta say.....I'm totally impressed with it!! Absolutely flawless coverage without a heavy look and feel. Only one application was all I needed. It didnt make my skin a flat mat, more of a demi mat, satin finish. There's still a translucency to my skin which I want, but didnt except to get from this formula. I applied it over Mac Strobe cream with a Sigma f80 flat kabuki. I'm nc25 so Sand is perfect for me and has a nice olive yellow undertone, not orange as Mac Pro Longwear is. As far as wear time, I can't say at this point, but assuming will be great. If you haven't tried it yet I would do so.

on 4/20/2017 2:27:00 AM

I love this foundation. I will say it definitely took some getting used to, and I had to try a few different ways of applying it to make it work best for me. Once I got the hang of it, however, it is absolutely flawless with every single application! I have oily skin and after a lot of trial and error I discovered that for the most perfect coverage for my skin type, I need to mix the Double Wear with a bit of serum (I use Lauder Idealist or Lancôme Visionnaire). Then I apply with a dense foundation brush, buffing outward from the center of my face. I find that for me, the primers I have tried with Double Wear tend to make it look a bit splotchy, so I skip a primer with this foundation. Sometimes I set with a little powder but usually the Double Wear + serum is perfect. Wish the bottle had a pump but besides that, Double Wear lives up to its hype! Play with it a bit and find what works best for you.

on 4/16/2017 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

The curious creature that I am I had to find out more about this foundation as everyone seemed to rave about it. I was my usual sceptical self. I managed to buy a couple of mls off EBAY to give it a test. I was pleasantly surprised!
I found the perfect shade for my pale olive complexion and a foundation that doesnt slide off my skin after an hour or two. Its easy to apply but dont hang about as it "sets" quite quickly! I might be on the wrong side of 40 but I still have super oily skin. Im told to be thankful for it as it means I have hardly any lines but it is still a major pain when it comes to my makeup lasting the day.
Im not the sort of woman who will keep peering at herself through the day to check or tweek my makeup. This foundation had to perform and still be intact by the early evening. Miracles of miracles it did indeed succeed.
Ive been using it for a year or so and Im pleased it is still doing the business.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation gives full coverage and it's very long-lasting but it's definitely not for dry skin as it is very heavy, mask-like, cakey, and it enhances flakes and dry patches. It's definitely not for everyday use as well because it's like cement on skin literally "smothering" your skin making it impossible for your skin to breathe and clear its impurities, which is very important for good healthy skin.

on 3/15/2017 1:45:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I put off buying this for years. Probably because I despise trends and tend to do them till others catch on. (I got a tattoo in 1984. Listen, there weren't even "tattoo artists" in 1984.)

This works very well for me. Two common complaints befuddle me. One, that it is hard to get off. Two words: micellar water. Done. Also, that it doesn't have a pump and you have to pour it out. Um, whut? Remove top, put your middle finger over the rim, turn bottle upside down. Touch finger to nose, cheek, cheek. Repeat bottle action. Forehead, forehead, chin. Use brush or sponge to spread. Done.

I am lucky that I don't often have to be out for hours and hours. But when I do, I am so glad I can depend on this gem to stay in place.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

on 3/14/2017 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

If you are going to have a long day and you want your make-up to last all day, this is the go to foundation. I have very oily skin and this foundation is great for my skin type. Shade matching can be challenging but once you found the right one you won't be disappointed. I am MAC C3 or C3.5 (Summer) and my shade is 2W1 Dawn. Only downside is no pump, so it can get messy but like some others have matched MAC has a pump that fits this ELDW bottle.