Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 19-24
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

4.3

So overhyped.
This foundation is absolutely horrible.
It is cakey. It shows ALL of your pores. It's too yellowy. The bottle is horrible. The price is ridiculous.
Just a mess.
I have tried every different way of applying this foundation and different primers underneath to see if I'm just doing it wrong, but no.
I have no idea why people like this. Maybe the formula is different? But I would highly recommend NOT buying this. Revlon Colorstay is a MUCH better alternative for a reasonable price.
Extremely disappointed.

on 9/18/2015 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I WANTED TO LOVE THIS SO BAD.

I read numerous reviews on how this didn't break people out and how it combatted oil all day and still looked natural but THIS ABSOLUTELY 100% DID NOT DO THAT FOR ME.

I'll start with the good because I feel like it is an amazing and luxurious foundation, it just didn't work on me the way I wanted it to and thought it would have.

First off, the shade I got was a PERFECT MATCH for my fair skin, I got the shade 1N1. So it's pretty light and ridiculously fair. I applied it on freshly washed, dried AND moisturized skin with some Benefit's Porefessional on my T-zone and my Almay primer (the one with the green and purple swirl on the inside). I then used a damp Real Techniques makeup sponge and began to blend the product all over my face.
I don't know if it's just me (it might be, judging by the reviews on this) but I found that with a light layer of this on, it didn't cover any acne or acne scarring for me. Yet, when I would add more foundation on, it just looked too cakey.

Ahh, here's the best part. The wear throughout the day. It was HORRIBLE for me. My skin is SUPER OILY, and it didn't combat that at all. The oil separated the foundation on my face and left me shiny really badly and it even separated badly on my chin, around my mouth, on my nose, and my forehead. It looked disgusting, and when I got home, I was mortified that I was walking around campus all day looking like that! It was gross!
I gave this a go a few more times and I kept getting the same result: gross and oily.

Oh and this broke me out super bad all over my forehead and all over my chin. The best part is that I just got rid of my acne and now it's back. It took 2 years to get rid of it all, too. Back to square one, I guess. Ugh.

I have yet to find a concealer/foundation that won't break me out and won't separate all over my skin. I'm still on the hunt for one because I am DESPERATE.

Overall, I personally wouldn't purchase again. It was too expensive anyway for the amount you get, too.

on 12/25/2016 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I had this one, i really wanted to love it, but no. Firstly, the bottle is such a mess. 60 euro foundation needs a pump. The foundation itself has extremely powdery consistency, it makes smears while blending. After a few hours it highlights my pores and other imperfections so bad and it also melts like crazy. Oxidize in 2 hours or less. This is just no.

on 4/12/2015 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really wanted to like this product but I didn't.
It was very drying on my skin and you could see the cakiness even though I hadn't used that much (when I applied this with a foundation brush). When I tried this foundation with a beauty blender it did apply nicer but it's not my cuppa tea.
Overall I wasn't crazy about this product at all...I'll stick to Dior star and Chanel perfection lumiere for my "high end" foundations.
My skins quite dry and I did not have a nice experience with this foundation, I personally wouldn't recommend this to anyone with problem skin because it doesn't go over spots and such very nicely in my experience. Sucks because I really wanted to like this foundation too! :|

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really want to love this foundation but I just can't make it work. Every makeup artist that I know raved about this, which leads me to get the sample

Pro: I do love the coverage, the finish and the shade. It's medium-high coverage and the finish is a nice satin-matte.
For reference I have an oily skin, NC15/20 in MAC and I used 1W2 Sand. I have a very yellow undertone and this is quite yellow, which I really appreciate since I always have a hard time finding a light-yellow foundation.

Cons: This foundation is heavy. 3 out of 5 times I used this foundation it ended up looking cakey and ended up cracking badly, which rarely happened to me. It also occasionally broke me out somehow. Someone told me that you need to really prep your skin, wear the correct base, etc... It's too much effort to make it work. I understand if it isn't meant for daily wear, but tbh I don't want to pay $30 (in my country) for a foundation that I can only use once in a while. Maybe this foundation is just not meant for everyone.

on 6/16/2018 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're looking for transfer resistant, look no further. This stuff does not budge! I was recommended this quite a few times as I'm always in search of full coverage for my cystic acne and redness. Some days it would cover everything, other bad skin days id need more. This foundation really oxidizes more than any other I've used. Unfortunately, this did make my acne worse with regular use, and really clinged to acne scars/healing acne, but I kept the bottle for occasional days/nights that I wanted a transfer resistant foundation which is always nice to have! Mixing with a lighter concealer has helped the oxidizing issue slightly. It looks amazing when first applied, however throughout the day, I notice it really catching any dry spots or textured areas. This foundation would be great for those who only have redness! Wouldn't recommend to anyone with textured skin. Definite down side is the packaging. I feel that it is messy when having to pour it out of the bottle!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This foundation definitely stays in place like it says but it seems to show more than hide my pores. I have large pores and use Benefits Porefessional as well as a primer but it still manages to show them which could be different with others. My skin is very pale so it is hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone and doesn't leave me looking like a Cheeto but I use the shade Ivory Nude and use loose, translucent face powder to set it and so far that has worked for me in not achieving the Cheeto look lol. It's worth the money and lasts a while, I would just recommend experimenting with it and seeing how you can optimize it to its full potential.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I had wanted to try this for ages after hearing so much about it so I went and got my free 10 day sample. If I'm going to be honest I don't really know what all the fuss is about. It's good because it gives good coverage and lasts a long time but in my opinion it is a bit of an old lady foundation, it looks incredibly thick on the skin. I find it difficult to apply because it doesn't blend easily and I have to use a lot of product. I don't like the fact there isn't a pump or an applicator of some sort. I still have to use an oil absorbing sheet at lunchtime when I wear this. Ultimately I think it just comes down to preference, if you don't mind a heavy look then it will suit you but I prefer to look youthful and healthy with a good complexion rather than like I'm caked in make up.

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you need to keep in mind that once this foundation is set, it is SET. So work in small areas. For all you dry skin people out there, I found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation also helps with the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better (if you want a fuller coverage, go with a brush). I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte. I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines.
Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. I literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was cakey, and my dry patches were excentuated. (I wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 12 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days when I need heavy coverage, but the fact that this foundation also has SPF means that it's going to flash back, so I probably woudn't use this for events where I know there will be photos. I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation either. Personally, it's best to get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

on 6/29/2016 6:14:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. On one hand it has good coverage which is always a bonus. However, I just found it a bit too thick and hard to blend. The girl at the counter also matched me with the wrong shade so that didn't help. I had to work very quickly because not long after first putting it on my face it became too hard to blend. Had to sell this one on.