Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 6/16/2018 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're looking for transfer resistant, look no further. This stuff does not budge! I was recommended this quite a few times as I'm always in search of full coverage for my cystic acne and redness. Some days it would cover everything, other bad skin days id need more. This foundation really oxidizes more than any other I've used. Unfortunately, this did make my acne worse with regular use, and really clinged to acne scars/healing acne, but I kept the bottle for occasional days/nights that I wanted a transfer resistant foundation which is always nice to have! Mixing with a lighter concealer has helped the oxidizing issue slightly. It looks amazing when first applied, however throughout the day, I notice it really catching any dry spots or textured areas. This foundation would be great for those who only have redness! Wouldn't recommend to anyone with textured skin. Definite down side is the packaging. I feel that it is messy when having to pour it out of the bottle!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really really wanted to love this foundation but I had issues with it.

The first problem was the colour matching - I was matched to Pale Almond which I bought a whole bottle of, but it's just too dark and too pink. I went to a different store and the SA gave me a generous sample of Desert Beige, which was so nice of her. Unfortunately this was too pale and too yellow. Looking at the shade range I find it totally baffling.

The staying power is amazing. I applied it with a damp beauty blender working fast and kind of bouncing it in.

It really is like paint, and that's another problem for me. It creates such a uniform finish (like paint!) that instead of covering uneven skin it seemed to make it more obvious! It just seemed to highlight every uneven feature because of the flat, paint-like finish. I've since tried Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and I actually prefer that, and it's cheaper. I might give Double Wear Light a try though - always on the search for the perfect foundation!

I hate the fact that it's not in a tube or that it doesn't have a pump top, especially considering how expensive it is. And it's runny so too easy to waste it.

on 5/31/2018 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

PROS :
- very long-wearing formula (it even stands-up a slight scratching),
- fluid, slightly runny texture, easy to blend (more beautiful texture and finish than Colorstay),
- medium coverage in one layer,
- blends seamlessly (neither blotchy nor patchy)
- gorgeous "second skin" finish, with a very slight sheen, and no powdery appearance,
- respects the skin texture (no blurring effect... that never lasts anyway),
- strong adhesion to the skin, with only very minimal settling into fine lines or pores,
- rich in pigments shades, neither gray nor brownish (a little too bright whatsoever but that’s what brightens the complexion),
- fast drying but not to the point of instantly setting upon contact with the skin,
- truly self-setting, if a powder is used it’s mostly to tone down shine,
- no darkening while it sets and barely oxidizes during the wear time,
- perfectly transfer-proof (my powder brush does not collect foundation, its fibers remain clean and fluffy),
- precise numbering of the shades,
- available in 50 shades (in the UK),
- soluble in pure alcohol (which allows an easy cleaning of the sponge, or brush, which was used, you get it back as clean as before),
- alcohol-free and fragrance-free (but not without smell, and I love this smell).

CONS :
- the now classical main drawback : NO PUMP !!!!! Seriously, Estée Lauder, drugstore brands add pumps on their less than 10 bucks foundations and there is no pump on yours which costs an arm to the toes (and requires to prostitute granny to get enough money to buy it) ??!!!
- has a clear tendency to peel off from the skin when applying a second layer (see comments),
- slight uncomfortable "resinous" sensation when the product is set, but it vanishes later when the foundation is mixed with the skin natural fluids,
- slightly tacky feeling (though less tacky than Colorstay),
- still lacks true "porcelain" shades,
- does not control shine that well (but, on me, nothing does),
- expensive, but it is undoubtedly worth the price.

COMMENTS :
The one and only trustable foundation that gives me a flawless complexion for a very long time, despite an overly oily skin. When I swatch several foundations on my arm, the only one that keeps all its intensity and coverage after several hours of friction on the clothes, and the shower, is that of Double Wear (the other ones become dull and/or translucent).

Most foundations darken and/or change undertone when setting (which requires to wait for a swatch to fully set before checking if the shade is a good match)... this one does not. Small digression by the way : I have always found ridiculous all these online swatches that are "wet-not-set", it does not reflect the final result.

As it is self-setting, it is useless to rush to powder it (if it’s powdered too early it cakes). One exception : the under eyes area. Regardless of the product I use, foundation or concealer, the product always creases into fine lines, so as soon as I get a flawless application on this area I immediately set with a translucent powder to prevent the product from further creasing.

It is essential to apply it one section at a time because of its fast drying time (don’t dot it all over your face hoping to come back on these dots to blend them later, the last dotted area will be impossible to blend).

Like many other products in the Double Wear range, this one has a strong (and exasperating) tendency to peel off from the skin when trying to apply a second layer, or simply when joining two areas (when using a blending sponge). In fact it is a matter of pressure : if, like me, you tend to press the foundation like a madman (trying to push it far into the skin hoping that it will last longer) you're damn. Gentleness is the key : using your sponge blend the foundation with the delicacy of a dandelion pappus carried by a light breeze, and not with the heaviness of a rammer flattening the bitumen.

I like the wide range of 50 shades and their precise numbering :
- the first digit indicates the main level, from the lighter level 1 to the darkest level 8,
- the letter indicates the undertone, C for Cool (pink based), N for Neutral neither too pink nor too yellow (in theory), and W for Warm (yellow based),
- the last digit modulates the intensity within a main level (1W2 will be a little darker than 1W1).

I use two shades :
- 1N1 Ivory Nude best matches my skintone but, despite its yellow base, it’s still a touch too pink (I have a very strong yellow undertone),
- 1W1 Bone is more golden but slightly darker than 1N1 so it ends up a tad too gold on me (let’s check this summer),
Ideally, instead of 1N1, for winter I would need a shade that has exactly the gorgeous color of the Double Wear Stay-in-Place Concealer in 1N Extra-Light (paler than the 1W1 but yellow based, a shade called 1W0 somehow... Estée Lauder, please ?)

Let’s note that the making of the undertones was surely done in a state of pronounced drunkenness (or it is the numbering which was made randomly) when one compares 1N1 Ivory Nude which is on the yellow side and 1N0 Porcelain which is on the pink side (both are N).

A short comment on the formula change that took place a few years ago : many users complained that the new formula lost in coverage (and that the shades changed). The shades changes were obvious, as an example the shade 1C1 Shell which became 1C1 Cool Bone, officially identical but unofficially much darker (to the point that, in front of the flow of complaints, the brand had to recreate a shade 1C0 Shell identical to the old 1C1). But the new formula is thinner and more skin-like, thus is more beautiful than the old one. That said, so many changes in the shades and numbering system is unacceptable from a brand as Estée Lauder.

At the end of the day, given its tenacity, I use a cleansing oil (or a two-phase micellar water) to remove it easily and completely without pulling/damaging my skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My HG foundation. I’m about to finish my third bottle and will definitely be getting my fourth. I have very oily-skin with lots of scarring and redness. Many foundations have broke me out or gets eaten away by my oils. However, this doesn’t do that at all. It has a strong lasting power and a beautiful matte to satin finish (depends on the application). For a full coverage look, I like to use a dense brush. And for a more light, everyday look, I use my fingers. I’ve tried it with a damp sponge and it looks very nice too! Blends nicely with all different applications. If you’re looking to try a new foundation, this is worth it :)

The only downsides are the price (about 60$ CAD) and the packaging (it can get messy if you’re not careful).

on 5/17/2018 5:04:00 PM

pros:
med to full coverage
matte and do not need to set with powder (i have oily combo skin this keeps me matte all day)
long lasting
great color selection, (nc20-25, 2w1 dawn in this foundation)

cons:
broke me out and very skin congesting
can look dry and cakey if put too much on or if you dont moisturize well enough
smells a bit odd
no pump

Id suggest the nars radiant longwear foundation, its much lighter on the skin and does the same thing except this lasts longer and is a lot more matte. But since i got cycstic acne from this id never use this again

on 5/7/2018 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My HG foundation for over ten years! I have oily, acne-prone skin, so I like a matte, longlasting finish and this does the deed. This is almost full coverage, but you can sheer it out if you want to (add a bit of moisturizer) on 'natural' days or build it up on 'bad skin days'. You only need a small amount, because if you use too much, it will look cakey. If you are more on the dry/normal side it might accentuate dry patches, so moisturise well before using this. The bottle is glass, so not that great for traveling. It doesn't come with a pump (sigh..) but you can buy one separately. The smell is quite neutral and faint, not disturbing or anything at all. Despite the price, which is quite high, I will keep repurchasing because this gives me a nice finish, good coverage and lasts most of the day (with setting powder on top), and I have not find any other (drugstore or luxury) foundation to match this one. I also really appreciate the fact that they have a wide array of shades with different undertones, from very fair to very dark, although my shade is only available online in my country. I am a NW15-20 in Mac (fair with cool undertones) for reference and I use 1n2 Ecru in EL Double Wear (I can make 2n1 Desert Beige also work for me). Note: I prefer the neutral undertone to the more pinkish undertone of the c-shades (c=cool, n=neutral, w=warm).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Some MU items are classic for a reason. Very few MU products become instant HGs to me and this is one of them. I'm so happy with my purchase. It's highly covering and gives a beautiful finish. It's called a "stay-in-place MU", let me tell you, it does NOT move all day. I swear, I wore it for over 12 hours as I was travelling and my face still looked good at the end ! I agree with other reviewers as it gets better as the day goes by. However, it dries quite fast so you need to blend it quickly. I find it works perfectly with the RT complexion brush. I like that it has no pump because I can control how much product I need, you usually end up with more than you want with pumps.

on 4/27/2018 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Definitely my HG foundation. Double Ware does not budge on my combination skin for at least 12 hours easily and looks honestly much better on my face at the end of the day than most other foundations look in 4-5 hours.
I prefer applying it with a damp beauty sponge on a well moisturized and primed skin. I noticed that I need much smaller amount of product than when working with most other foundations I've tried. With just one very thin layer and a damp sponge I can easily get high-medium or light-high coverage which I really enjoy even for an everyday look. It looks quite natural, I have never experienced cakyness with Double Ware (I think applying it in very thin layers and not more than 1-2 layers helps in that regard). I normally set it very lightly with a bit of a setting powder and I usually don't need any touch-ups during the entire day (not even on my T-zone).
I truly love it and don't even know why I have another 5 different foundations at the moment when all I want to use is Double Ware :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i didn't buy it.I tried a sample and i didn't like it.Too heavy for me and expensive.if you are very oily,don't recommend it.The best foundation for me is L'oreal infallible 24.It doesn't stay 24 hours of course, only 3(at least for me) but it is cheap unlike Lancome and Estee Lauder which are expensive brands.Still searching the foundation that lasts at least 6 hours.Maybe i should blame my moisture.I don't know.

on 3/14/2018 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This had full coverage and lasted a long time on my skin, but I really didn't notice a huge difference between this and my Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless. It was also a little bit too matte for me (even more matte than the Maybelline foundation) so I would not repurchase this and would prefer to get the drugstore option.