Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Wow, this is one tenacious foundation. I was skeptical before trying it but it really does stay put on my oily nose.

I got "color matched" to wrong shade but got a sample before buying. I am NC15 and the SA gave me equivalent of NC30ish. I used Temptalia's Foundation matrix and went in and asked for 1W1 Warm Bone sample. It is the palest yellow toned shade in this foundation. At first I was put off as it is very yellow. I started using up the sample just on my very red nose & cheeks. I was blown away by the coverage and staying power. The match is pretty good though if I wanted to perfectly match my neck they would need a paler yellow toned shade. I then started using just small dabs on the rest of my face that I blended out carefully. I find my fingers work best for blending. You have sufficient time to blend but it does set fairly quickly. I blend in a paler foundation (Laura Mercier) along my jaw line into this foundation and it works quite well so no distinct demarcation line from face to neck.

It doesn't totally cover my hyperpigmentation but I don't expect a foundation to do that. For me it gives very good coverage and I use enough to improve my skin but also to let my skin show. I don't get how anyone could use 1 or 2 pumps (with added pump) on their face and it not look cakey....that is just too much. And anyone with super dry skin won't be happy with this unless they prep with a good moisturizer. I use over sunscreen with good results.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Shade: 2W2 Rattan
Current skin tone: NC30

This is the best foundation I've tried so far, and I've tried many high end like UD All Nighter to drugstore like Freedom UK. I have extremely oily skin and live in a tropical climate, so imagine how difficult it is for foundation not to be a greasy mess on me. I find the coverage just okay, it's not full in my eyes, some of my dark spots still peek through unlike say the Becca Full Cover Creme. It does a great job of controlling oil and is very long lasting, but my favourite part is it does not crease on me. Every foundation creases around my nose and laugh lines, but not Double Wear.
The shade does not completely match me, because of my work I got a tan yet their medium shades are too dark for me. Nevertheless I like this foundation very much, I would like it more if it had a smoother finish (I know matte foundations will always emphasise fine lines and texture more) and if it had a pump because I have to add $10 for a MAC pump. In Singapore this costs a hefty 62$ but on days were I needed it to stick to my skin I'm glad I paid that money.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I had wanted to try this for ages after hearing so much about it so I went and got my free 10 day sample. If I'm going to be honest I don't really know what all the fuss is about. It's good because it gives good coverage and lasts a long time but in my opinion it is a bit of an old lady foundation, it looks incredibly thick on the skin. I find it difficult to apply because it doesn't blend easily and I have to use a lot of product. I don't like the fact there isn't a pump or an applicator of some sort. I still have to use an oil absorbing sheet at lunchtime when I wear this. Ultimately I think it just comes down to preference, if you don't mind a heavy look then it will suit you but I prefer to look youthful and healthy with a good complexion rather than like I'm caked in make up.

on 4/23/2017 5:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

best foundation ever.

on 4/9/2017 5:16:00 PM

I can't say enough about this foundation. I have oily acne prone skin and it lasts all day and doesn't break me out. I found the perfect shade for my skin tone. One trick is that I mix it with a little Advanced Night repair. It gives my skin more of a glow and makes my foundation more comfortable. I will never use another foundation!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I purchased this as all of the foundations I have previously used have worn off by around 3pm, and I had heard great things about its staying power. Unfortunately it was so patchy on my skin by the afternoon, and clung to any dry bits that I still had to reapply later in the day. I also found it too thick, and resorted to mixing it with my moisturiser as the coverage was too intense and made me look like I'd piled it on.

on 4/4/2017 8:02:00 PM

I wish I had something nice to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. After hearing many great reviews, I thought this foundation would live up to it's expectations, but this was not the case.
Firstly, I got colour matched at an Esteé Lauder counter and while the foundation seemed to be a good match (Cool Bone) after a few hours of wearing, this foundation turns a horrid shade of orange on me and no amount of blending can hide the fact even the most the most pale foundation colour in the Double Wear range for my NC10 skin is far too orange.
Secondly, the formula is too thick. It has the consistency and smell of paint. Since the bottle does not have a pump you have to pour it onto the back of your hand which often results in pouring too much due to the poor functionality of the bottle and wasting a lot of product. Since this product is thick as paint you have to work quickly. If the foundation sits too long it WILL set.
Thirdly, rather than covering imperfections, this foundation will accentuate them! I use a primer, setting powder and setting spray and I have tested this foundation with and without some of those products to see what was causing the problem and it all still fell back on the foundation. I have also tried applying this foundation with a sponge, stippling brush, flat foundation brush, buffing brush and fingers and I still end up getting the same crappy result. Even straight after applying this foundation looks horrid. Rather than covering pores, this foundation will set around them making them look even more prominent. I'm only 18 and don't have any wrinkles yet, however this foundation settles in to fine lines and wrinkles I didn't even know I had! So if you would like to look 10 years older, I would recommend this foundation. This foundation is meant to be high coverage? It doesn't even cover pimples or dark circles, leaving me to have to purchase more high end products to try and cover them. Like most women, I have fine hairs on my face, this foundation clings to these fine hairs and makes me look like I have a furry face. Not a pretty look even after trying to blend it out!
Lastly, this foundation does not live up to it's "Stay-in-Place" claim. Even after 1.5 hour of wearing this foundation it will be patchy and flaking off my forehead and nose yet also make my combination skin turn into an oil slick? This foundation surprises me as it manages to be patchy, cakey AND make skin turn oily and shiny. Even using primer and moisturiser this foundation will leave your face looking like a choc chip cookie. I'm very thoughtful about not touching my nose while wearing makeup, however even after 1.5 hours of working this foundation it flakes off leaving me with a pale nose in comparison to the rest of my stark orange face. My forehead seems to bare the worst of this foundation as it flakes off turns cakey around eyebrows, nose and chin.
If there is anything to take away from this review, please do not purchase this product unless you enjoy wasting money on products that do the opposite of what they are supposed to. I wish I had something positive to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. I keep using this product in hopes of one day achieving the flawless results everyone else raves about, and I also don't want to let my $50AUD go to waste however the poor design of the bottle does that for me.

on 4/3/2017 11:41:00 PM

~Things i love about product
Love this foundation its smooth!
Has full coverage.
Blends great with beauty blender and or foundation brush.
Love the bottle.
Money well spent

I tried many foundations and this is by far my favorite. I have to to say if you have oily skin this is not the foundation for you my sister has oily skin and she pats her face and the makeup came off.

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you need to keep in mind that once this foundation is set, it is SET. So work in small areas. For all you dry skin people out there, I found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation also helps with the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better (if you want a fuller coverage, go with a brush). I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte. I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines.
Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. I literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was cakey, and my dry patches were excentuated. (I wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 12 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days when I need heavy coverage, but the fact that this foundation also has SPF means that it's going to flash back, so I probably woudn't use this for events where I know there will be photos. I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation either. Personally, it's best to get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

on 3/10/2017 3:13:00 AM

When I was on vacation in Thailand, I went to Central Festival wich was like makeup heaven.
All the brands I can not buy in the Netherlands, and such a colour range which varied from very light to dark.
As I am extremely pale the Double wear is only sold in a shade too dark for me in the Netherlands, in Thailand I found 1w1 which is a great match. (comparable to Bourjois healthy mix in color 51)

First of all, the packaging.. There is no pump, only a big hole which makes it hard to get a small amount of product out of the bottle. The package looks chic but isn't usefull. Another thing I don't like is the smell. Like MAC, Estee Lauder Double wear got this same chemic smell. I know perfumes are no good to your skin but I love the way Bourjois Healthy mix smells like fruits. :)

The coverage of this foundation is extremely good, it is a thin liquid substance. Not a creamy formula more 'chalky'. I apply it with my beautyblender which give me a nice even finish. Not cakey at all, but it does emphasize the wrinkles around my eyes and when you use this foundation, don't forget to give your face a bit more dimension using a bronzer/blush, otherwise you'll look like a little porcelain doll :)